Server time (UTC): 2019-08-22, 23:21
Sign in to follow this  
Osku

Teamspeak: "the heart of he community"

TS vs Discord  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

discord is shit for large communities keep ts 

2 hours ago, Oliv said:

It's a good thing someone did all that for you already ?

It's still quite tedious to get the channels set up.

2 minutes ago, JimRP said:

It's still quite tedious to get the channels set up.

There has been some changes to that bot I set up. I set it up in another Discord and noticed them then, it might make it a bit easier. If you guys need a hand with it, let me know.

Edited by Oliv

Just now, Oliv said:

There has been some changes to that bot I set up. I set it up in another Discord and noticed them then, it might make it a bit easier. If you guys need a hand with it, let me know.

Sh, let me convince people TS is better.

tl,dr - Keep Discord for a chat room and announcements/updates, Teamspeak for the official "Radio".

Rambling Below:

I say we should keep both.

Discord is great as a chat room, which I feel is important in keeping a community alive. It's easy to chit-chat in when being on mic is not accessible, and it's easier to check on the while mobile for updates/announcements than having to go to the website.  It's also great for reaching out to other members on the fly via DMs or even sharing links/memes/pictures etc. The social aspect of Discord is much superior to Teamspeak, except when you wanna hang out on VOIP or while in game.  

For a server full of people, Teamspeak is just better organized.  I find that my keybinds for muting/unmuting work better as well, and the responsiveness of the push to talk.  A benefit of Teamspeak is you are not restricted to the mercy of Discord's servers when it comes to connectivity or quality.  That being said, it's not often I have issues with audio quality, or connectivity with Discord, but i can confidently say I have more issues with Discord than I have with TeamSpeak, and I've been using TS since the early 2000s.  The capabilities of TeamSpeak vastly outweigh those of Discord.   It's easier to get someone's attention (via a poke) or even make server wide announcements that everyone is gonna see.  While I know making announcements in Discord is also possible, I feel like most people would be more responsive to reacting in TS to these announcements/pokes/or whatever than Discord.

Another way to look at it is usage.  How many people are actually using Discord for VOIP currently rather than using Teamspeak? Not many.  It's mostly used as a chat room.  Of course if TS is taken away, it'll force people over to Discord, but I know a lot of people here already have their own Teamspeaks.  A lot of people have multiple Discord servers too and they all still prefer using TS.  It would just separate the community.  One group would go to one TS and other groups would go to others.  Teamspeak is keeping the community as a "whole" in that regard. 

Temp channels can be solved via bots, and overall Discord is better than Teamspeak in pretty much every imaginable way.

Can you add pictures to your channel description? No, but thats probably the only feature that discord is lacking when compared to TS3

EDIT:
Figured I might as well add, the discord server shown in the video has 35k members and has no issues with audio or connectivity, it has been going strong for a solid 2 years now.

The solution to the audio problem is having a large enough user-base to be able to ask discord for partnership or at the very least higher priority.

They are pretty generous in that regard.

Edited by Ducky

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

Temp channels can be solved via bots, and overall Discord is better than Teamspeak in pretty much every imaginable way.

Can you add pictures to your channel description? No, but thats probably the only feature that discord is lacking when compared to TS3

Configurable voice quality, more plugins/things you can do with it, more in-depth permission system, whispers and more.

1 minute ago, JimRP said:

Configurable voice quality, more plugins/things you can do with it, more in-depth permission system, whispers and more.

shrug

I mean DMs work pretty much the same as whispers, as for the permissions well you can also solve that problem with a bot.

As for configurable voice quality? Well I suppose discord has its own set of configurations available clientside, aside from that you can set specific bitrates on channels and add plugins via python.

I prefer TeamSpeak way more than discord. The quality is better and it's just so much easier to use. Discord is okay but TeamSpeak is just great! Save The TeamSpeak!

Ts has everyone out in the open and allot more compact as if a group took you hostage you can find them in less then a minute if you know who they are.

Discord is good for two things text and chill with friends nothing more, whilst ts easily connects a community.

Just now, Eagle said:

Ts has everyone out in the open and allot more compact as if a group took you hostage you can find them in less then a minute if you know who they are.

Discord is good for two things text and chill with friends nothing more, whilst ts easily connects a community.

Not sure what kind of unorganized messes you are part of when it comes to discord, but much like Teamspeak they can be layered with Categories that help reduce the amount of information on screen.

At this point it really isn't a matter of which is better, Discord is the winner in that regard.

Right now it is a matter of: Do people want to get used to a better system, or stick with the old outdated one due to preference.

I would say keep both, Mainly because we could benefit of the positives they give over the other. I don't think this many people have been helped in a such a short time since Discord was a thing

Edited by Samti

I love TS and I would love to see it keep going, but Discord is okay and is good for having chats with the community.

So I feel like it would benefit if we kept both of them running.

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

At this point it really isn't a matter of which is better, Discord is the winner in that regard.

Right now it is a matter of: Do people want to get used to a better system, or stick with the old outdated one due to preference.

Stick with the old outdated due to preference.

Sure, we could move to the "better" platform but what would we really gain from it? People have already expressed their wishes, and the vast majority (51 vs 13) have voted to keep TS in some regard. Those people already are familiar and satisfied with TS, you force them onto a platform they don't like and you're just going to splinter the community even more. I know you won't catch me posted in Discord, I'm also moving to a private TS should the official one get scuttled.

EDIT: And just to make sure, I put "better" in quotations because I think Discord is shit for anything but being used as IRC chat.

Edited by Cipher

14 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Quite the statement about a topic that doesnt have an objective answer...

20 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Tbh, I get this shitty bug with TS where when I'm in-game and people speak in the channel, their voices become robots and they start stuttering. Only happens when in-game. I know it's only me that gets that bug, but still. I think discord is far better than TS. 

1. Looks a lot cleaner and nicer.

2. No stupid bugs that only I get.

Discord > TS

People just like teamspeak because they are used to it, hell im sure we have all been using it for years but honestly I think it is on par with discord for many reasons.

Personally I don't care, but at the end of the day TS servers are expensive for what they are...

Couldn't really care tbh. I'll always prefer TS3 due to its better voice codec. I personally dislike Discords UI, but if Discord is what we're going with, then I'll just suck it up.

I'll always prefer TS for a community like this. You can create more channels easier. You can give clans their own channels. And, chatting/linking things is easier and more private in TS, especially since you can have permanent group channels. 

But it's whatever. When TS dies, people will probably just do their own discord calls or their own ts servers. 

I like Teamspeak a lot more in terms of community wide voice communication platforms, discord to me is just for friends rather than communities.

I already have a private ts but if the official ts shuts down I guarantee you won't see those discord channels fill up. The people who advocate for full Discord use now don't even use dayzrp's server. Discord is fine for having a large group chat but that's about where it ends for me. Discord chose a somewhat easier way to get into voice chats and the quality of the chats suffered as a result. People are used to teamspeak because its been a reliable program for all the years this comminity has used it. It's well worth the price. 

TS is dated, Discord's depth of customisation to each community's needs via administration and bots far surpasses that of TS. Finding text information is much easier, channel permissions work the exact same way with proper set-up, the list of accessible and more efficient features is endless. The only difference is the UI and public text channels both of which are more accessible and nicer to look at than TS. Just because you're familiar with the program doesn't make it better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let TS die 

XMvb8fH.gif.e9c70ed0ffcfd932e53bf3ce80fff48d.gif