Server time (UTC): 2021-09-25 00:08

Teamspeak: "the heart of he community"

Ghost of Osku

TS vs Discord  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• MVP

As the sad day when Rolle is planning to disconnect the life support of our beloved Teamspeak server is approaching I started to wonder why I feel so strongly about TS being much better that Discord.

From what ive seen at the moment alot of the activity in the Discord is OOC text communications between a handfull of people who use it regularly to talk about pokemon, pets and whatnot and atleast a few of the people who actively use it dont even play on the server that much. Sure it also has its benefits such as the #help which makes it easier for people to ask for help without having to go to the helpdesk and allows for people other than staff to help eachother out but the fact that during peak hours the TS often has somewhere around 80+ people in it but the discord voice channels have less than 10 really speaks loads about how people feel. Discord feels more like a quicker version of the forums  than something that could ever replace Teamspeak. I completely understand that its a budget question but I really think Teamspeak plays a very important part in the overall feel and atmosphere of the community.

I really dont give a shit about the sound quality and other technical things people have argued for but TS just has a more "social" (for the lack of a better word) feel to it than Discord. It has its own little  quirks that make people like it so much. Small fun things like TS descriptions, taking away someones channel admin and kicking them mid sentence for saying something stupid because you just poked your friend and they gave you channel admin or guessing your friends temp channels password and bursting in. The fact that all big groups have their own channels where they hang out and you can hop between them if you know  people from the groups (excluding a few groups who already use private comms but even they are just one message saying "come to TS" away). The way you can join someones open comms and easily talk to them about a situation that just happened or if you have a hostage who just gave away their IC radio channel. Only a few if any of these things can be done as easily if at all in Discord and it makes discord feel way less personal. Getting rid of TS will most likely have the  effect of forcing more people and groups to use their own comms like private discords and Teamspeak servers which will take the "unity" out of the community...

All these things make me feel like letting go of Teamspeak is a huge mistake and I would like to implore @Roland and @JimRP to reconsider moving everything to discord. I know it costs money but i sincerely think the positive effect of bringing the community together makes it 100% worth it. Im also sure there are some members in this community who are willing to donate a few dollaridoos just to see TS live another day.

• Sapphire

KEEP TS. I beg you 

B00E1514-4B30-47C2-8445-A440AB5FF283.png

Edited by Diamond
  • Legend

Just let it die. The only benefit to TS is if TFR ever gets modded in, that's it. Other than that, let it die.

• Legend
1 minute ago, JimRP said:

Imho TS3 is much better than Discord. Discord still has not been used like TS3 and it is a huge fuss to run/set up things like temp channels.

Oh well.

It's a good thing someone did all that for you already ?

• Sapphire

Keep ts

Discord is shit ?

Ts get removed= people just make thier own discord. And staff lose thier moderation 

Edited by Farmer-BorisRP
  • Developer

TS3 definitely can't do what Discord or Slack can do for me in terms of allowing better communication across all my devices with a lot of people in one place.

But Discord's inferior way of dealing with voice channels can't even be compared to TS3's.

Both have some good features. Sadly neither has all the good features from both.

• MVP

Hello, discordfanboyQ here. I started hating on TS a while ago because I think that discord is just a better alternative. With some work put behind it, it can be well customized and has some cool features that TS simply does not have. Now I wouldn't mind having both around because people just like different things and I can do the effort of hopping on TS if I need to talk with someone that isn't on discord. However, TS is not really free so that's more of Rolle's decision.

May the discord master race rise.

I haven't used TeamSpeak for nearly a year and have no regrets about moving fully to Discord. From a "community" standpoint, Discord is far superior to TeamSpeak with the ability for text. Not to mention the free mobile app, compared to TS3, which makes the mobility aspect way superior. There are still features lacking that TS3 has over Discord, but that goes both ways. TS can be expensive in the long haul, whereas you can easily pop up 100 new Discord servers if you really wanted to and lose nothing but time.

While I don't presently use either the TS or Discord, I'd be completely against the removal of Discord. Whether TS sticks around or not doesn't matter to me personally.

• Diamond

Discord, I have nothing but trouble with it every time it's just problems after problems. Hard to fix anything

Teamspeak is easier. Not as many problems easier to fix. 

Teamspeak a better choice

• Legend
16 minutes ago, Asriel said:

I'm gonna keep following Oliv around and we will circlejerk about how we like Discord better ❤️

Really, I think Teamspeak has ran its course.

I just like the pricetag of it better really, but there are some sweet functions it has that TS just doesn't. If the V=voice quality was just a bit better and more consistent, it would be unbelievable.

• Emerald

I like TS over Discord.

Discord tends to be unstable, voice quality is worse, And it's just a communicator. I use it for that, and that only.
Also my Logitech G series keyboard works with TS in the sense of easy access buttons.

Discord voice codec is trash compared to TS which also offers more customizability and extensibility. That being said I enjoy shitposting in Discord general chat.

Keep both, move help desk back to TS.

• Diamond

The moment TS gets shut down a large chunk of people will just get there own TS if they are set on using it. 

If your looking at it from a business side yeah cut something that can be replaced by a free product is a great idea. But is the free thing going to get used as much as TS and is the free thing going to be able to keep the high standard TS has. 

Like I said, check the Discord channels then check the Teamspeak channels, I think it speaks for itself. The only reason people would ever use Discord is for the Helpdesk. 

18 minutes ago, neom said:

The moment TS gets shut down a large chunk of people will just get there own TS if they are set on using it. 

Also, Neom makes a great point, that's exactly I'll be doing. I would Bean you mate but I've ran out. 

No point in attempting to fix something that's not broken. I assure you, if you swap to Discord the online users actually using it to communicate via voice will be drastically lower than the teamspeak users. Granted, Discord has some decent features... But still, teamspeak is simple and a lot more user friendly. I still don't have a clue how to use Discord (I have to use it for the State Of Decay 2 Modding community thing) and I still, have not got a single clue.

That's my two cents.

Edited by Beni
  • Sapphire

Teamspeak cannot leave, I will be so sad.. I feel like discord just looks less organized and would be a cluster fuck. 

I like TS a lot more than Discord. Voice codec isn’t trash.

• MVP

Also if everyone decides to move to their own private comms it will be increasingly difficult to catch a hold of someone to for example talk out a situation that would otherwise lead to a report. As someone who always tries to talk things out with people instead of reporting them I find this troubling. It will also lead to more reports and more work for the GMs. If the TS is removed, gone will be the days when you could hop through every public channel and open comms asking people "did you just get killed in Stary?" or "did you guys just kill me in Stary?" and have a pretty good chance of finding who you are looking for.

Im assuming that since all info about our Teamspeak server were removed from the forums a while back none of the new whitelists know about it and therefore the TS would have even more users than it currently has if everyone would know about it.

• Sapphire

Iv also found that discord is not good when I need help, also it’s easier for hostage situations and talking with hostile or just to gop in comms with your friends. Discord rooms are dead cuz everyone’s still using TS. It’s just good for main chat as far as iv seeen  

• Legend

I used to be the same way as most of you in the thread, saying TeamSpeak is better in every way, but honestly it's just falling behind the times now.  Discord offers a better overall experience, both for communicating via voice and via text, and essentially offers what TeamSpeak offer and more.  You'd still have the same voice channel with everyone in their own situation as TeamSpeak, but also would have text channels for media, groups to communicate in offline, or even report evidence collection.  It's not like any functionality is lost, except maybe the ease of creating temporary channels.

I've ran and moderated well populated servers on both, and Discord is an overall better experience, in my opinion, for both users and moderators.  It just takes the willingness of people to learn Discord, just like they had to learn Teamspeak the first time.  I still remember not being sure how the hell to connect to a TeamSpeak server, join a voice channel, and talk the first time, just the same as I remember struggling with accepting a server invite and connecting to a voice channel of Discord.  Half of this is just being scared of change because "the old way is better."  Most modern gaming communities are moving towards Discord, almost exclusively with the exception of DayZ and ARMA communities, and moving us to Discord would not only make us more appealing to newer users, but also cut down on server costs for the TeamSpeak server, as Discord doesn't require the owner to run or maintain the server himself.

...not to mention Teamspeak is just fuckin' ugly

Edited by JesterInPeril

Also sorry to double post but a TS server is dead fucking cheap, like 5-10 dollars a month if you set it up yourself using a VPS.

Edited by Guest
  • Sapphire

Discord is just too much of a clusterfux in my opinion, I prefer TS easy UI