Server time (UTC): 2021-09-24 05:44

Introduction of a minimum Age requirement of 16/18+

I have been watching a few streamers stream on DAYZRP  and it is becoming clear that their is a issue with underage children who get on this server by lying about their age and just come on here to troll , fail rp , exploit and  RDM . I am not going to name people as this is not the right place to do so however I have witness more than 10 of these underage children that fit this category and need to be RFCED from DAYZRP ASAP. I know from talking to people in discord that my feelings are shared by a lot of you so please 1+ this post and make it a thing.

Edited by Stevekelly
  • Sapphire

This used to be a thing, people would circumvent it anyway. And plenty of solid, well-founded community members did circumvent it and were perfectly mature. Its really a person-by-person case. And who are we to deny good RPers at least a chance? 

Honestly just banning them after they misbehave is far better than banning them for the possibility of them misbehaving, tbf. 

Edited by SylvaRP
removed the word autistic so i dont get banned

Gonna go with Sylva on this and quote him as my opinion:

"Honestly just banning them after they misbehave is far better than banning them for the possibility of them misbehaving"

As someone who got into RP at a young age, there are some solid younglings out there that if it weren't for their voice you wouldn't know that they were young.

• Emerald

Report them, if they are thought to be too young and immature by the admins they will be taken care of.

• Legend

The age restriction was recently revoked due to legal reasons involving our verification process. As it currently stands as long as they don’t squeak like a chew toy, are mature and don’t cause problems they are welcome.

TBH the underage rule is useless and is easily bypassed, i done that myself for two years then came clean when I was 16. Not only that I know of quite a few people who done the same as me. If someone wants to troll then they will get banned no matter their age. All you will accomplish with this is add unnecessary work to the staff team.

-1 from me 

It sucks, but.. I'm going to be honest here.. The experiences I've had with role-players under the age-limit that were good? Next to nill.. Now I'm not saying That is the same for everyone as I know for a fact there ARE some good role-players that would slide under the age limit.. Just haven't personally met them or interacted with them /yet/.  If it were up to me I'd want the server pretty solid 18+ only, but It's probably only due to the fact I was brought up in a house hold where video games with any sort of extreme violence were inaccessible.  A +1 from me, but I think as stated prior they had to remove to rule anyway.. which, makes me awkwardly worry about anything my character might say.. I feel bad just swearing around kids... -.-' 

Edited by Bounty
  • Emerald
26 minutes ago, Bounty said:

I feel bad just swearing around kids.

Walk into any middle school and you'd think differently.

• MVP

Correct me if im wrong but im pretty positive it says you must be 16+ to apply, maybe things have changed since my departure. (EDIT: Just read the memes(arks) post im stupid)

Either way people get through, they get caught or they dont until they are of age. Some of the best RP ive had has been with underage kids I found out were underage later on. Its hit or a miss with how mature they are.

• Legend
Just now, Brady said:

Correct me if im wrong but im pretty positive it says you must be 16+ to apply, maybe things have changed since my departure.

Either way people get through, they get caught or they dont until they are of age. Some of the best RP ive had has been with underage kids I found out were underage later on. Its hit or a miss with how mature they are.

They changed. We no longer have an age requirement due to legal issues.

• MVP

As long as there is a disclaimer that says you must be 16+ to join the community due to the mature content then the community should be covered.

Ethically I think it's the least that can be done. Even if it cannot be proven due to legal reasons, we still should be stating it.

In Europe, GDPR came into effect.  This applies for anyone providing services to anyone in the EU.

What this means for DayZRP: We cannot harvest information that will lead to being able to determine an age range of users, estimated age, or any possible PII by any stretch of the imagination. If we do, DayZRP will have to go through extensive security auditing and compliance reforms, and that is... expensive. To say the least.

GDPR is absolutely amazing, it puts the US equivalent laws to shame. It is a nightmare for small businesses and startups though.

**Edit**

Even being able to determine that a user is above the age of 16 is considered PII. Anything that might be able to narrow down users to actual people.

Edited by SketchParker

Mate as someone who understands law at a very high level I take issue with it , the wording comes across as vague in some areas, the word consent is used in a fashion that is not clear and the whole idea of child Internet consent being lowered to 13 years old is a joke. 

Edited by Stevekelly
7 minutes ago, Stevekelly said:

Mate as someone who understands law at a very high level I take issue with it , the wording comes across as vague in some areas, the word consent is used in a fashion that is not clear and the whole idea of child Internet consent being lowered to 13 years old is a joke. 

I understand your frustration, but this doesn't have to do with consent. It has to do with PII (Personally Identifiable Information). It's an Information Security concern, and businesses can't keep it on record without going through compliance and security audits.

9 minutes ago, SketchParker said:

I understand your frustration, but this doesn't have to do with consent. It has to do with PII (Personally Identifiable Information). It's an Information Security concern, and businesses can't keep it on record without going through compliance and security audits.

The whole point of the GDPR is to protect citizens from corporate  companies misusing Personally Identifiable Information , in their effort to protect the citizens they lowered the age of consent to 13 which is a joke as it is scientifically proven that 13 years old's and below are not fully mentally devolved at 13 and lack the ability to consent to the use of their personal information. By doing this they create a massive issue for courts creating court cases against companies who collect basic PII for security and general admin purposes when they should have full right to do so.

Edited by Stevekelly

Ey yo fam I’m coming clean, I joined this community when I was 15,  I’m now 17. I think it varies between person to person but yea I don’t believe people under the age of 16 but it’s easily bypassable. All got to do with maturity yo

12 hours ago, Dan said:

Report them, if they are thought to be too young and immature by the admins they will be taken care of.

I share the same opinion as this.

Perhaps a maturity rule is in order? If someone is seen to be too immature OOC or IC they can be reported (with evidence of course) ?

Regardless I know 14 year olds with better maturity than  some 30 year olds (Let's not even talk about the 25 year old I know who still has  his mum bathe him... 0_0 ) so age isn't a big issue for me members wise :S 

• MVP
2 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Perhaps a maturity rule is in order? If someone is seen to be too immature OOC or IC they can be reported (with evidence of course) ?

Regardless I know 14 year olds with better maturity than  some 30 year olds (Let's not even talk about the 25 year old I know who still has  his mum bathe him... 0_0 ) so age isn't a big issue for me members wise :S 

That is unofficially a thing at the moment already. Immaturity can technically fall under Bad RP; which is a reportable and punishable offense.

1 minute ago, Cipher said:

Just a reminder that as of now a 14 year old can agree to rape RP with someone over 18

0_0 yeah that isn't ok .... maybe this needs to be addressed....

• Roland locked this topic