Server time (UTC): 2021-09-24 05:22

DayZ and Resource Management PSA

I've been experiencing some fun resource management problems. At first I thought this new SA Launcher was doing cryptomining or some other questionable activity, but I was able to rule that out fairly quickly. After playing for some time, DayZ consistently (sometimes faster than others) bogs down to the point I've got to exit out and let my computer unscrew itself before jumping back in.

Here's what's happening. So, running DayZ for extended periods of time eventually consumes so much RAM that my computer has to overflow to pagefile.sys

This tells me three things.

1.) DayZ has resource management issues. It's not releasing memory somewhere. This is clearly client side so has nothing to do with DayZRP servers.

2.) The degraded performance after playing for some time is actually due to DayZ having to use my hard drive like RAM, and my hard drive ain't built for that shit.

3.) The reason I have to wait 5 minutes before my computer unfucks itself after playing DayZ is because pagefile.sys usually has a hard time unallocating memory for this purpose quickly.

After tinkering with it for the past week, I've isolated one of the main causes that seem to contribute to the RM problems. Opening the Steam Overlay and using the Steam Overlay's web browser. The bleed goes nuts after that. When I don't open the steam overlay, it's manageable and I can get quite a few hours out of DayZ before it starts slowing down my system.

This problem is probably going to stay around for a while, and for those of us poor dudes running 8GB of RAM, we may want to avoid the overlay at all costs. I have another laptop set up next to my computer for browser purposes cause I'm lame and can't afford good stuff.

TLDR SUMMARY:

If you are having choppiness, DayZ takes forever to close, or your computer is chugging along, do the following:

1.) Don't have Chrome or other web browsers running while playing DayZ

2.) Don't use the Steam Overlay

3.) Every once and awhile when you have a good moment, shut down DayZ and restart it to free up your available memory.

Edited by SketchParker
Adding a TLDR Summary

Haven't been experiencing such issues with dayz, but when it comes to some small freezes I've noticed closing down chrome helps from time to time. The only thing that's worrying me is that in last week after alt-tabbing I've noticed that there's 200mb left on the disc with my system. After shutting down dayz it goes 7GB up.

18 minutes ago, DerrickStorm said:

Haven't been experiencing such issues with dayz, but when it comes to some small freezes I've noticed closing down chrome helps from time to time. 

The reason closing down Chrome helps is because Chrome is inherently RAM intensive.

18 minutes ago, DerrickStorm said:

The only thing that's worrying me is that in last week after alt-tabbing I've noticed that there's 200mb left on the disc with my system. After shutting down dayz it goes 7GB up.

As for the 200mb left on disk, Do you mean your hard disk? If so, when your system starts allocating hard disk space for pagefile.sys, it makes that block of memory unusable. You are also experiencing the issues, you just didn't realize.  The small freezes are caused by the slower read/write times for pagefile.sys rather than true RAM. You are holding up 7GB of hard disk space each time you play for pagefile.sys

There's nothing REALLY TERRIBLE about pagefile.sys, but it does cause more wear and tear on the hard disk due to constant write/read required to simulate RAM and causes performance degradation IG.

**EDIT** If you have a SSD, you'd be in luck, because it's closer to the read/write capabilities to RAM than HDD, so you'd notice less performance degradation. It's noticeable with HDD, but if you didn't know what to look for, you'd just chalk it up to the game being choppy.

Edited by SketchParker
clarification
  • Server Manager

TL;DR DayZ has memory leaks, if you have little RAM restart the game often to fix. To anyone with >= 16GB it is not a problem. 

• Developer

DayZ is bad at managing memory, not a big suprise. BI isn’t known for optimizing their games.

I personally have 8 gigs of slow ram and it just isn’t enough for gaming nowadays. Upgrading is a good option if you can afford it.

31 minutes ago, Roland said:

TL;DR DayZ has memory leaks, if you have little RAM restart the game often to fix. To anyone with >= 16GB it is not a problem. 

Ah, you caught me being wordy... I do that a lot. I'll edit a summary in there.

Also, keep Chrome closed, don't use Steam Overlay or web browser. 

• Emerald
4 hours ago, Roland said:

To anyone with >= 16GB it is not a problem

6c774e956c34c4af280954badb7fcecc.png

?

Personally, I have had no issues playing for 2 hours yesterday but I guess this is why.