Server time (UTC): 2021-09-25 13:23

Lore progression

Good morning, good day, good evening...

Some time ago I came across a question on our forums but the topic quickly 'sunk' below other,  more popular threads. Long story short it was a 'problem' with a way to arrive into Chernarus when somebody creates a character, let say TODAY.

Replies that were posted seem to support the idea, that Chernarus is still under a strict or at least part-quarantine and it got me worried, that maybe I don't quite get a grip on the lore itself. Nobody mentioned that yes, you should be able to freely move around the world by now because forces that were onced focused on containing the infection are probably now trying to defend their own countries or cities (using common sense and text from lore). As quoted from lore:

After two weeks, the majority of Chernarus was a desolate burnt-out shadow of its former self. By the conclusion of week two, Ukraine and Turkey were suffering from a total societal breakdown, and many areas across Europe, Asia, and the Americas were containing major outbreaks in and around transportation hubs.

So it was, the decline of humanity was insured by the failures of our own arrogance. While our globalized society connected people in ways unfathomable by our ancestors, it also revealed a vital flaw in our very being. As a result of our interconnectivity, the infection was able to travel far and wide before anyone was able to throw the alarm. From Tokyo to Paris, Anchorage to Buenos Aires, the infected walked among us and war raged. Our nature of abstract blindness made us weak and vulnerable, and thus we suffered. Even what was occurring in one's own country was secondary to the drama unfolding right in their own neighborhoods. Similar stories would play out within nearly every country and continent on earth, all with one inevitable final climax. After a month, the remains of a global society was crucified on the graves of those who built it. However, resistance to the virus and its after effects remained as entire nations attempted to eradicate the threat in the midst, the winners and losers of this titanic clash yet to be determined.

How far has the infection spread?

The outbreak of the infection begins in July of 2017, and due to Miroslavl and Novigrad being international hubs, the infection was able to escape chernarus and spread globally. By July 24th, there are outbreaks in most major countries, some big and some small. Turkey and Ukraine are almost completly overrun.

My last foreign character always told that he didn't even know when he crossed the border between Russia and Chernarus when he was travelling south in Russia (abandoned checkpoints, unguarded borders).

Putting aside that lately people seem to be quoting IC things that happend in previous lores (wars between groups etc) I wonder what do you guys think about the general state of the whole world (without focusing on bringing back Loremasters or smth)  with the current "start-up Lore" we have now? Should 'how you got through the border' really be a problem for a person that just joined the community?

Thank you for you opinions and help in advance.

"I came here before the outbreak but stayed in the other provinces of Chernarus." 

"I made it to Turkey/ Takistan/ something else and came here by boat."

"I avoided anyone who was even close to the border to avoid detection."

Yes I think newcomers can come up with something. 

Your first question is a hard one since you won't get anywhere without lore masters. To set any kind of lore you need authors with the authority to set it in stone, normal community members will have a hard time doing that. 

• Sapphire

Loremasters would be great so we know wtf is going on in the outside of the country, but in most cases people just make shit up anyway. While it would be nice to know, i doubt the majority of the people will read or even care what is happening and just make their own narrative. 

• Diamond

Now that the server and community are on the rise, I think the decision makers should bring back the LoreMasters. When it gets to coming here to Chernarus. I think its pretty stupid to come here voluntarily to a place where to infection started, so either RPing that you've been here since the beginning or that you came here by accident is best.

• Emerald
22 hours ago, Craig said:

I think its pretty stupid to come here voluntarily to a place where to infection started,

Does the rest of the "World" know that?

As far as "lore" knownledge goes the Russian started an assualt on Chernarus. That was broadcast to the world and was the reason NATO and UN arrived (for public records at least).

The infection did spread, but at that point I don't believe people know that South Zagoria is Ground Zero.

Which if it is the case allows for people to travel to Chernarus realistically. As they would imagine that the situation is better then where they are.

• Diamond
3 hours ago, Razareth said:

Does the rest of the "World" know that?

As far as "lore" knownledge goes the Russian started an assualt on Chernarus. That was broadcast to the world and was the reason NATO and UN arrived (for public records at least).

The infection did spread, but at that point I don't believe people know that South Zagoria is Ground Zero.

Which if it is the case allows for people to travel to Chernarus realistically. As they would imagine that the situation is better then where they are.

Its possible, but I would imagine that everyone would have known about the infection, at least to my understanding.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:42 AM, Craig said:

I think its pretty stupid to come here voluntarily to a place where to infection started, so either RPing that you've been here since the beginning or that you came here by accident is best.

Actually we hd a big discussion over this ages ago when the lore was being formed. And all in all we agreed in plague origin syndrome and the idea that, overtime the infected would decay 24 days later style... so the place of origin would be the most safe place in the world as it would be the first to have a reduced infected presence... and presence of people in general.

So it would make sense to come here if you knew it was the origin, or at least in my humble opinion ^_^ 

And as for border things, I'll 100% admit the lore is good for the whole "how I got here" shenanigans... and explains it well. The issue is not the lore's content, but it's length. 

It is over 3000 words long... that's longer than my 2nd year essay...  honestly I think the lore should be colour coded with the key facts (just like your original post) to make for better reading, and I am not surprised not everyone fully reads through the lore :S 

And as for Loremasters (sorry but people are already mentioning it) : Just do a Tomeran, have one bloke who , maybe every other month, plans a cool lore event, and have some major change from that event. (Big invasion event where, if players fail, zombie spawns are increased for a few weeks, radio event to get a long range radio working to get news of the outside etc etc). 

• Developer

Yeah it took time for people to start to understand that SZ was ground zero. It wasn't public knowledge for the rest of the world unless you were some alex jones conspiracy nut who looked at only alternative media for information. BTW the country isn't under quarantine from what I can remember. It would have made no sense for that to happen based on how we wrote the lore. From what was going on however, Russia was doing relatively well compared to the rest of the world, but I never did like that too much. 

Also, it does make a bit of sense to come to the ground zero of an outbreak. Due to the nature of how infections can spread, it would actually be safer over time to go to ground zero than to anywhere else. This is due to a variety of factors, but the one that strikes me the most is that people are fleeing the area. It makes the number of infected lower than other areas. Also, since it's ground zero, the infection has had more time to peeter out.

Okay, time for me to go to work.

Thank you for all the answers, opinions and ideas. The question was not if there's any sense in travelling to South Zagoria. But I think we could agree, using a common sense, that after >460 days, when it only took ~30 to lose Turkey and Ukraine, most of the world wouldn't be doing "so great".

My reasoning behind creating this thread was to show, that people seemed to feel limited by the lore and they shouldn't be, because with the basic lore we have, at this point of infection, most decent, well thought stories created with common sense would be possible.

Maybe to make people a little more comfortable when joining server at this point, there could be a small lore update explaining in few sentences situation around the world. A small paragraf. The only problem with it would be, that it would collide with stories of people who got to South Zagoria from those places before the "update of lore".

Long story short I think that people should remember that the basic lore is there not to limit us but to make foundations for our stories, no matter in which Country they begin (unless it's "I've parachuted from the plane that went down over USA" - it's a true story from 2016 encounter)

Edited by DerrickStorm