Server time (UTC): 2021-09-24 23:52

Research for RP community

Hey, my organization is currently trying to do research on the RP community. I know there are some rules regarding soliciting and advertising, so I wanted to explicitly ask people who know more than I to find out if it's okay to post about it in the "Off Topic" forum.

Thanks guys!

• Diamond

what?

• MVP

Thats interesting, 

I think your best bet would be @Roland since he owns the place but I'd imagine there'd be quite a fuss with the community depending what the research is about, can I ask what you hope to find out? And what would be the target audience of your study?

1 hour ago, KyleRP said:

Thats interesting, 

I think your best bet would be @Roland since he owns the place but I'd imagine there'd be quite a fuss with the community depending what the research is about, can I ask what you hope to find out? And what would be the target audience of your study?

Sure. They are trying to reach out to RP heavy communities, the target audience is people who enjoy RP, and also are new to Tabletop RPGs and are interested in trying out Virtual Tabletop solutions. Specifically, what new people's expectations are, what hurdles they might have trying to get into it, the such. It's more for marketing purposes, but we aren't trying to sell anything. To be honest, we're trying to figure out what can be a hurdle or block someone from getting into the VTTRP scene so we can make it easier for newbies trying to get into it.

The thing is it's got nothing to do with DayZRP, and I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. It came up in conversation at work that I happen to know a diehard RP community, and they asked if they could post a survey to screen for interviews there. 

My response was "Good fucking luck. They've got a vetting process to even create an account."  I did offer to ask if it would be okay to post something like this, but my access to DayZRP is of higher priority than getting them some interviews for role-playing community research ?

• Emerald
19 minutes ago, SketchParker said:

Sure. They are trying to reach out to RP heavy communities, the target audience is people who enjoy RP, and also are new to Tabletop RPGs and are interested in trying out Virtual Tabletop solutions. Specifically, what new people's expectations are, what hurdles they might have trying to get into it, the such. It's more for marketing purposes, but we aren't trying to sell anything. To be honest, we're trying to figure out what can be a hurdle or block someone from getting into the VTTRP scene so we can make it easier for newbies trying to get into it.

I don't personally seeing the harm in asking people if they would be willing to complete a survey, I would just make it opt-in (which leads to bias blah blah yeah) and keep it all over PMs after that.

1 hour ago, SketchParker said:

I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem, as long as you state specifically what the information is going to be used for and all of that, I wouldn't mind filling out a survey of some sort depending on what it is, I wouldn't do an interview tho lmao

I've been waiting for someone to officially object. I haven't got one yet, and it's been several days since I asked, so I'll assume it's okay. If one of the forum admins does have a serious issue with it, I will tear it down on their request.