Server time (UTC): 2021-09-24 00:17

Accents are kind of lame?

Idk if anybody else has noticed. But a lot of people in the community are going around changing their characters accent on a whim. Like I will take a guy captive, and before I take him captive he is talking russian and has a russian accent. But as soon as I take his gun away he goes to talking like an america.  It is kind of immersion breaking in my opinion and I was wondering if there could be a rule put into place to change that. 

And I understand that people do it on purpose to confuse people, but I just am not a fan of it.

• Legend

// moved to community discussion

• Sapphire

I don't really see an issue with it, personally I'm from the UK, If I can put on an accent why can't my character?

• Diamond

Yeah, I would agree with you mate, I mean at times sometimes it slips but not when your take someone hostage they just stop. It is immersion breaking IMO as well. I'm not sure how a rule would come into place but its up discussion 

• Sapphire

As a guy who roleplays as a Chernarussian with a Chernarussian accent, depending on what you're doing in character, can depend on whether you can keep up the accent (PainRP etc.). If it's blatantly changing it to attempt to throw hostage takers off or whatever it may be, I can see why it'd be immersion breaking for sure.

• Emerald

I wouldn't mind, If you put up an accent, just be cool with it. 
Just don't make it awkward... At least put some effort into it ?

• MVP

*hearty chernarussian laugh*

Accent are great, however everyone has to start at 0 at some point.

Takes time to develop a well rounded, believable and easy to pull off accent.

52 minutes ago, CrescentGent said:

-snip-

That is exactly what i'm meaning, I don't care about somebody using an accent (even if its a poor one) the problem comes when people are constantly swapping accents or using it specifically to throw people off.

I don't see it as immersion breaking so long as necessary precautions are in place by the person changing their accent.

Hostage Situation - If someone is being taken hostage, it would not be realistic if they were ACTIVELY changing their accent.  It just doesn't make sense in a high stress situation that your character would be faking something once they are already taken hostage.

Avoiding A Situation - If your character knows someone is looking for them, I wouldn't view it as BadRP or Immersion Breaking *IF* the necessary precautions were taken to mask your identity.  Obviously if your only interaction has been over radio with one person and you recognize them before you speak, masking your voice somehow would be beneficial in evasion. Think of it like if you're prank calling someone.  You'd hate for them to recognize your voice out in public so you'd probably call and change your voice up a little.  If you can obscure your face while faking an accent, great.  It would be a great deniability.

Of course if you know they are faking it, you can always call them out on it.

The only time that I'd see it as BadRP honestly is if it was a situation like, "My name is Dima, I am 35 and lived in Novosibirsk my entire life, I speak with a Texan accent".  

There's a lot of stuff I am not a fan of. However unless there's a clear rule break, it's a personal annoyance you just gotta have to deal with.

i can understand it to an extent. but I think its fine

33 minutes ago, Vytis said:

Hostage Situation - If someone is being taken hostage, it would not be realistic if they were ACTIVELY changing their accent.  It just doesn't make sense in a high stress situation that your character would be faking something once they are already taken hostage. 

I disagree, if they were faking it before, they could very well keep faking it, and makes sense to do so.

• Diamond

Report it and see where it goes as it can fall under Bad RP.
Question is how many Russians sound full on American? wouldn't you have some way of easily recognizing them as Russian?

Edited by Eagle
1 hour ago, N-ToxRP said:

i can understand it to an extent. but I think its fine

I disagree, if they were faking it before, they could very well keep faking it, and makes sense to do so.

Perhaps here in RP, sure. I was talking more from a realistic standpoint.  Most people would be panicking.  And if you have suspicions they are faking it in RP, even more reason to interrogate them.

• Emerald
6 hours ago, Eagle said:

Question is how many Russians sound full on American? wouldn't you have some way of easily recognizing them as Russian?

To fish bio: How many American's can full on sound Russian your argument works both ways fish boi. Don't let me catch you talking shit again or you will get the belt.

On whole topic: This is why accent arguments are retarded, they are a double edged sword. If one nationality can put on an accent then you can switch it right back. Calm down and talk to someone else if you don't like it.

• MVP

DayZRP has always had people who do a good accents and those that do questionable ones. I don't think people actually do bad ones deliberately so I don't see an issue with people still having a go if that's their character's accent. I cannot see how reporting it would help unless it was an obvious troll voice. For those wanting to add an accent (that isn't natural to them) I suggest you get yourself on the YouTubes and watch some vids on your preferred accent, there are lots out there. Practice, practice...practice!

Edited by Samaritan
  • Diamond
5 hours ago, Pepe Jones said:

To fish bio: How many American's can full on sound Russian your argument works both ways fish boi. Don't let me catch you talking shit again or you will get the belt.

On whole topic: This is why accent arguments are retarded, they are a double edged sword. If one nationality can put on an accent then you can switch it right back. Calm down and talk to someone else if you don't like it.

Find me a Russian or a German here who sounds full blown American at the drop of a hat.

P.s those noodle arm's couldn't hit me even if you tried.

Edited by Eagle
  • MVP
11 hours ago, Eagle said:

I really dont think people need to start reporting everyone who slips with their accent. Im playing a Chernarussian character for the first time and its not easy to keep the accent up at all times. I requires concentration and can be easily forgotten if you are focusing on something else. I dont believe we need to start reporting others for even more minor things than people do right now.

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Find me a Russian or a German here who sounds full blown American at the drop of a hat.

He didn't say their accents needed to sound good tho. Not like the Russian accents many pull off are good either, so many people just put the emphasis on different syllables and call it a day. I think changing accents is perfectly okay - if I can make very bad American, Russian, German, French and Scottish, then so can a common Chernarussian Pepa ? 

//Edit: No matter the fact that Chernarussian accent is not in fact a Russian accent, and Czech accent is as far from the Russian one as it deared to go inside the Slavic language family. But that's a completely different question, heh. 

Edited by pijkaCZ
  • Sapphire

This is why I play a foreign pig so I don’t get chewed up for having a shitty accent. Best I could do is Irish yeah 

• Sapphire

I think the title of the thread is confusing people, accents are fine as long as you stick to them. But if you're going to commit to a chernarussian character or any character where you change your accent then you should stick to it. Otherwise it would be considered badrp imo.

• Diamond
8 minutes ago, OskuRP said:

I really dont think people need to start reporting everyone who slips with their accent. Im playing a Chernarussian character for the first time and its not easy to keep the accent up at all times. I requires concentration and can be easily forgotten if you are focusing on something else. I dont believe we need to start reporting others for even more minor things than people do right now.

Why bother playing something if your just gomna be yourself when it suits you. I never said pull one 100 % But if your just gonna be American 80% of the time your not really playing a charcheter, someone who is full blown chernorussian won't turn accents at the drop of a hat to 'disguise' himself.

Edited by Eagle
  • Emerald

I have my own accent I don't have to fake. It's easier for me.

But yes, stick to an accent. Don't switch between various ones while on your character. It's just weird.

• MVP
5 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Why bother playing something if your just gomna be yourself when it suits you. I never said pull one 100 % But if your just gonna be American 80% of the time your not really playing a charcheter, someone who is full blown chernorussian won't turn accents at the drop of a hat to 'disguise' himself.

I get where you are coming from but I still dont think it would be worth putting up a BadRP report for.