Server time (UTC): 2021-09-25 03:31

Question about a height and weight mods

Diamond

• Sapphire

Is his possible? I really hope so. 

• MVP

are you asking if we can modify the character model height and weight?

If so then Brayces did answer some of that in this response here: https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/91708-body-types/?do=findComment&comment=1698337

Spoiler

Well, first off ..

All clothing, weapons, animations, items, interactions would need to be reworked for different model types. 

Child sized, you'd have to decide whether to maintain the same hitbox ratio or not. And from that ensure all clothing fits ... All weapons sit correctly, all animations are posed at the correct height, all jumping is scaled, all blood and bone values are set correctly. It would be a huge endeavor and is usually built into the games framework as a functionality before any models are actually added in. 

Ever play Skyrim? Ever mod it to play as a child character or a dwarf or a horse or a dog? Notice how the swords and weapons float in front of you and how people will aim and smack at the space above your actual head to where your hitbox is? We would have the same issues here. 

Also people would pick child models simply to have a better advantage to PvP as, ya know, they be short and harder to see.  It's why height sliding is only ever ever so slight in games and usually keeps the same hitboxes in MMOs as to not give shorter players an advantage which then breaks immersion because you think you're behind a wall and suddenly a bullet whizzes over your head and you die because it hit your hit box. 

Whomp, whomp.

While I don't doubt smaller models, or fatter models will be added in by other modders in order to not have them mostly broken they would need a full re-working! But, I too long for different character types. I am hoping in the least we can get some different skins uploaded!  Those would just be textures! 

We could also ask @Kerkkoh

Edited by Dino
  • MVP

All the models for clothing, backpacks, etc., would have to be completely re-modeled to fit every single possible body type. It would be possible but would honestly take a really long time.

• Legend

Ya, I just commented on a post by someone who did so.

Also, to add to this.

We need someone to make the 3D models.

Lemme sit cha down, for a moment, and tell you what Brayces knows about 3D modeling and rigging. (I have a few friends who work in 3D modeling as careers so my knowledge is second hand.)

First off you need to actually model the body. That means making it in Maya, Blender, w/e. Which can take some time. With that model, after you sculpt it you need to ensure the topology is not too dense. Topology is all the little squares and triangles you see on 3D models. 

image.png <-- This graphing is topology. 

If that is too dense then rendering the models on peoples machines will be too taxing causing lag and long load times or frame rate stutter. (not good because the game has to load allllll those little squares and triangles). Too low of a topology and you get them lovely PS1 Graphics. (RIP Cloud from FF7)

Secondly, you will need to rig the model to the skeleton of the player avatar. Which, I am not even sure anyone has the ability to grab yet as modding has not yet been released for DayZ. The skeleton usually looks something like this. 

image.png

All those joints and what are called "bones" are what you then rig or attach to the 3D model you have. So for example, you have to rig the foot of the 3D model to the foot bone, and the hand of the 3D model to the hand bone, etc etc. 

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Rigging is not the last part. You now have to weight paint. What is weight painting? Well, when someone moves their hand up and down you don't want the mesh (3D model) to clip into it's self right? So you have to paint the weighting of the model so it knows how to move the mesh (3D Model) correctly when a animation is played. Like when you have a gun in your hand and it sinks into your arm when you turn? That is clipping. Clipping is also happening with those child/dwarf glitches. It looks gross and bad! 

image.png <-- Dictates what parts are SOLID and what parts BEND.

Finally, you can texture your avatar. You will use the topology that you had created before and export it out like a flat piece of paper and add the texture onto it. That file is called a UV or a unwrap (depending on who uses what). 

image.png

Last but not least, you now have a nice naked custom human model. UH OH. Now you need to do this entire process over and over again but for clothing. You have to mesh/3D model each clothing item in order to have it fit on your new avatar or you'll encounter clipping, bad bad clipping. 

Then there's the questions of animations ... How will they look played on your new model ... Can we even use the same animation sets ... Etc etc.

In the end it's a long process and a lot of hobbiests will not do this unless they are paid. I mean, you a in essence creating assets for a game you didn't even work on and are not getting paid for and have no knowledge or information on. So, if we see models it will be after modding is released for DayZ so Devs don't have to hunt and hound for the content they need. 

Things like static objects are much easier to work with as they don't need rigging or weight painting. You model a coffee cup, texture it and import it under the same set as a bottle of pills BOOM as long as it's the same size/shape you don't have to worry about clipping and all the rigging is done for you already. 

YAAYYY~!

Thank for you joining my poor-mans TEDTalk. 

• Sapphire
8 hours ago, Brayces said:

Ya, I just commented on a post by someone who did so.

Also, to add to this.

We need someone to make the 3D models.

Lemme sit cha down, for a moment, and tell you what Brayces knows about 3D modeling and rigging. (I have a few friends who work in 3D modeling as careers so my knowledge is second hand.)

First off you need to actually model the body. That means making it in Maya, Blender, w/e. Which can take some time. With that model, after you sculpt it you need to ensure the topology is not too dense. Topology is all the little squares and triangles you see on 3D models. 

image.png <-- This graphing is topology. 

If that is too dense then rendering the models on peoples machines will be too taxing causing lag and long load times or frame rate stutter. (not good because the game has to load allllll those little squares and triangles). Too low of a topology and you get them lovely PS1 Graphics. (RIP Cloud from FF7)

Secondly, you will need to rig the model to the skeleton of the player avatar. Which, I am not even sure anyone has the ability to grab yet as modding has not yet been released for DayZ. The skeleton usually looks something like this. 

image.png

All those joints and what are called "bones" are what you then rig or attach to the 3D model you have. So for example, you have to rig the foot of the 3D model to the foot bone, and the hand of the 3D model to the hand bone, etc etc. 

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Rigging is not the last part. You now have to weight paint. What is weight painting? Well, when someone moves their hand up and down you don't want the mesh (3D model) to clip into it's self right? So you have to paint the weighting of the model so it knows how to move the mesh (3D Model) correctly when a animation is played. Like when you have a gun in your hand and it sinks into your arm when you turn? That is clipping. Clipping is also happening with those child/dwarf glitches. It looks gross and bad! 

image.png <-- Dictates what parts are SOLID and what parts BEND.

Finally, you can texture your avatar. You will use the topology that you had created before and export it out like a flat piece of paper and add the texture onto it. That file is called a UV or a unwrap (depending on who uses what). 

image.png

Last but not least, you now have a nice naked custom human model. UH OH. Now you need to do this entire process over and over again but for clothing. You have to mesh/3D model each clothing item in order to have it fit on your new avatar or you'll encounter clipping, bad bad clipping. 

Then there's the questions of animations ... How will they look played on your new model ... Can we even use the same animation sets ... Etc etc.

In the end it's a long process and a lot of hobbiests will not do this unless they are paid. I mean, you a in essence creating assets for a game you didn't even work on and are not getting paid for and have no knowledge or information on. So, if we see models it will be after modding is released for DayZ so Devs don't have to hunt and hound for the content they need. 

Things like static objects are much easier to work with as they don't need rigging or weight painting. You model a coffee cup, texture it and import it under the same set as a bottle of pills BOOM as long as it's the same size/shape you don't have to worry about clipping and all the rigging is done for you already. 

YAAYYY~!

Thank for you joining my poor-mans TEDTalk. 

That was a really good explananatien braycie bork! ? Good job! 

• Sapphire

If character height customization comes in I'd be kinda scared by the amount of people trying to 1 up eachothers height.