Server time (UTC): 2021-09-25 00:13

"over the line" Roleplay?

Osaka

• Emerald

Something that caught my eye which is of mild concern is that the rules no longer depict anything on RP involving racism/sexism/rape etc.

There used to be such a rule that RP should be fun for everyone, and I notice that some [non disclosed users] tend to be excessively aggressive in RP as in race hate, or anti-homosexual and maybe even worse things that might be going too far.

Or I have missed something huge that now allows people to RP in any disgusting way they want? But seriously, there should be a fine line between good roleplay and simply disgusting behavior.
Since I can't find anything in the rules about this, I'm just giving my honest concern here.  

I also couldn't really find a thread about it. But do point it out if i missed it.

• Sapphire
5 minutes ago, Nihoolious said:

There should be no restrictions on what you can say in RP so long as its done in a proper manner and its not trolling. That includes racism, anti semitism and anything of that sort.

Pretty much this.

If people arent comfortable they can always ask ooc for it to be toned down, but i see no problem so long as it isnt done in a trolly way. 

• Emerald
6 minutes ago, Nihoolious said:

There should be no restrictions on what you can say in RP so long as its done in a proper manner and its not trolling. That includes racism, anti semitism and anything of that sort.

Well okay, then our opinions differ there.
It used to be against the rules anyway, now it's obviously not. I was just wondering where to draw the line here. because this is one of those things which will eventually become a problem.

For instance forced rape roleplay, which was a big insta permaban offence once. now it seems... "fine" ?

• Emerald
2 minutes ago, Nihoolious said:

I dont think any form of ERP should be allowed including rape but some people are into that.

Oh you have no idea, the things I've seen on platforms such as SecondLife....I don't go there anymore for a reason.
But, it's not specifically mentioned in the rules. therefore it's allowed or a grey area.

Also, as mentioned:

"If people arent comfortable they can always ask ooc for it to be toned down"

that would actually violate rule 3.1... So, no in fact you cannot ask OOC to tone down an RP, no matter what they demand you to do.

In the current state of rules, if a group wants to rape you, and you ask them to not do that OOC, or "combat log" on them, you get banned, not them.
And I'd just like to kick up a conversation so that maybe we get that rule back we once had that "RP should be fun for everyone" and some sorts of RP simply shouldn't belong here.

Or am I that old fashioned?

• Sapphire
1 minute ago, Osaka said:

Oh you have no idea, the things I've seen on platforms such as SecondLife....I don't go there anymore for a reason.
But, it's not specifically mentioned in the rules. therefore it's allowed or a grey area.

Also, as mentioned:

"If people arent comfortable they can always ask ooc for it to be toned down"

that would actually violate rule 3.1... So, no in fact you cannot ask OOC to tone down an RP, no matter what they demand you to do.

In the current state of rules, if a group wants to rape you, and you ask them to not do that OOC, or "combat log" on them, you get banned, not them.
And I'd just like to kick up a conversation so that maybe we get that rule back we once had that "RP should be fun for everyone" and some sorts of RP simply shouldn't belong here.

Or am I that old fashioned?

I think you're being abit to technical here but you do make a point. I trust the staff team though to have some sort of common sense when it comes to all this shit and to do the right thing. If not we can always riot :3 

• Emerald
1 minute ago, Oisin said:

I think you're being abit to technical here but you do make a point. I trust the staff team though to have some sort of common sense when it comes to all this shit and to do the right thing. If not we can always riot :3 

Yeah, common sense doesn't work for everyone sadly. 
It's just some loophole in the rules I know isn't going to mature well, and once it does go wrong, it's basically done with. I'd just like to avoid seeing people seriously triggered over some really shitty roleplay.

And I love to get too technical. ?

28 minutes ago, Nihoolious said:

I dont think any form of ERP should be allowed including rape but some people are into that.

ERP is wack

I tried soft ERPing one time like *holds hands* bullshit and I couldn't get it up get into it really. Don't get it

• Emerald

There shouldn't be any rules against what you can or cannot do in RolePlay as long as it is RolePlay and not trolling, or directly targeted towards someone OOCly for the purpose of harassment. RolePlay is make believe, and we are in an apocalypse where a lot of former social taboo items become of the norm. Just because someone is not mature enough to separate In Character actions from Out of Character actions doesn't mean it should restrict the mature players. Of course things like rape, sexual assault or perma-killing someone's character must be consensual because these are (In real life) abhorrent and very delicate subjects, and this is understandable, but everything else should be relatively fair game.

Good example of this was Rolle's position on pro-Nazi groups. The swastika is banned from being used in group profiles, and Nazi-like groups are often disbanded and blacklisted (Zbor, for example), however pro-Communist groups and Maoist like propaganda is allowed without worry.

Another thing is ERP- I don't care for it, I won't be doing it but if people aren't in the middle of Kab sucking each other off, I don't care what their characters do. If there is a story behind it or your character is a whore, that is completely up to your discretion, as long as the people(s) you roll with are consensual and mature about it, as well.

• Sapphire
17 minutes ago, Hollows said:

but if people aren't in the middle of Kab sucking each other off, I don't care what their characters do. If there is a story behind it or your character is a whore, that is completely up to your discretion, as long as the people(s) you roll with are consensual and mature about it, as well.

I agree with @Hollows  as long as people are mature, but I think that instances like the one stated above can encourage some very immature and trolly roleplay. I think that ERP is okay as long as people do it privately and not in a busy town such as Kab,Stary,Vybor,etc. and instead they do it in the woods or a less popular town. A bad example of ERP is posted below. (please do not try to do what these people in the video did)

• Emerald

I know back in Liska days, we tended to be pretty racist and homophobic. We also managed to do this for months without any issues. It was simply well done and we were respectful.

Personally I have no issues with any of these subjects. I don't have a line someone can cross RP wise, and if the RP is good I'll also make it clear that anything goes for me.

I think it's down to those who may be bothered by the subject. Let's say you have some issues around racism and don't want that in game, it's up to you OOCly to express that. "// The racism RP is bothering me, mind toning it down?".

It's then up to the other party to understand and respect that. If they continue not taking your comment into account, that's where the issue lies.

I don't think it's fair for these rules to exist. It limits possibilities because some people have OOC issues (which I respect). Overall anyone can have issues with anything.

I play a drug addict right now, let's say I bump into someone who has IRL drug issues, this may really bother them. However in the rules there is nothing stated against this. Why should it be any different for any other topic?

• MVP

I personally believe that there should be a bit of common sense applied to situations involving racism, anti-semitism, sexism, rape and so on - without enforcing any rules particularly focused on these. I would like to know that there is a bit of everything out there in the in-game world of DayZRP, because that is how life is in reality. I know it may sound odd, but that is immersion. Believe me when I say that I do not mind any of it as long as I 100% know that it is not real in any way; this comes from a Turkish person with a high chance of being subjected to all sorts of racism and what not abroad. If and when those issues are carried into OOC, that is when it becomes a problem and should be dealt with swiftly.

Edited by Semiazas

Gotta agree with nihoolious here, as long as it's not trolly it should be allowed.

• Sapphire
3 hours ago, Roland said:

The less "hard coded" restrictions about the RP the better. If someone will have a problem with racist or other offensive RP they receive they will undoubtedly create a report for Bad RP and then staff can judge whether it really was a bad or trolly experience or just the person getting offended by words spoken by role played fictional character. There's no need to restrict all of it through rules when it's not causing any issues and people do not have a problem with it.

Wow, a lot has changed. Very glad to be back 

Simply put, Bad RP seems to cover this. 

If you think they are being overly rascist for shits and giggles and not actually doing anything to further the roleplay in the encounter, record, slap it on youtube unlisted and let the staff be the judge in a report ^_^ 

Edited by The Traveler
  • Emerald

People should be allowed to RP the way they see fit as long as its done well. People can report if they want but if someone is going to be offended over something a fictional character said then I think they need to take a step back and just think for a second. 

Edit: I also don't agree with ERP, that shit is just strange but people have different tastes to me. 

Edited by Solo
  • Diamond

If someone is playing a racist and is saying nigger constantly throughout a scenario then it will probably be BadRP, but if they're using it moderately then its fine, same goes with sexism as well. Rape is just a no no imo.

Edited by Cpt MacMillan
  • Legend

I think it's fairly easy to discern when someone is being immature and using TrollRP while in RP. You have to balance how aggressive your character would be. If you're playing a sexual predator who loves to touch butts without permission I highly doubt they'd go into a populated area, run up to a rando and touch their butt in front of 40 different people, right? That's suicide. Same with a racist. You don't run into a populated area and start dropping the N word left and right in every sentence as I am sure someone will want to punch your face in and there are others who would gladly aid them in that endeavor just because it'd be interesting to watch for them.

Playing a character does not mean you condone the things you are doing ICly. But, that also means that playing a character isn't a outlet to be a horrible person and be exempt from criticism. People will judge you for the type of character you are playing SPECIALLY if you do not play them realistically and maturely. 

If you plan to play a character who has bad traits, expect to be targeted for them as well.

You wanna harass people sexually? Better get ready to be chased by characters who will kill those who do such things.

You wanna be racist? Better be ready to be chased by the very races you are damning and their friends.

Maturity is key here, and of course accepting the fall out of your actions as well. If anyone cannot RP maturely, or if you feel the RP you were given was not mature or handled well and instead was TrollRP; record it and report it. The Staff Team and discern what is TrollRP and mature RP for you publicly. 

And lastly, if you are NOT COMFORTABLE with the RP that is going on let that person know OOC. Ping them, message them, jump into TS/Discord, or use OOC chat. I promise you anyone who cares about mature RP or the RP that is currently going on will consider your feelings and change the topic. 

If that butt toucher wanted to RP touching my butt and I said in OOC.

Brayces: //I am not comfortable with this type of RP! Message me on Discord please.

Then on Discord; 

Brayces: Butt touches are gross, can you maybe stab me instead? That RP would be preferable! 

Then the No-Longer-Butt-Toucher can pop back into RP and go, "Well, actually ... Now that I think about it. I don't FEEL like touching this one's butt. Instead, I'm gonna stab 'em! Stabbing is my next favorite thing."

When you give them something else to work with that you are comfortable with, they can certainly try that instead. 

RP is a two way street, and when the other side isn't having any fun it's not fun for anyone.

?

• MVP
9 hours ago, Cipher said:

I tried soft ERPing one time...

95e23a77e17801975d1dcb41713985ff.png

• Sapphire
49 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

Did you get triggered when you watched American History X? No? Well just like movies RP is fiction.

Why do I have no more beans 

I would draw a hard line at actual rape rp though. Below the belt, penetrative and non-consensual (ic or ooc nonconcensual) is how I'm defining it. If it doesn't meet ALL of those criteria then it should be fair game, though with riskier rp the hostile party has extra responsibility to be mature. I suggest prohibiting actual rape rp not so much because people may get triggered (I agree with the assertion that triggers should not be a reason to eliminate something from rp), but rather because it is simply too hard to get right and too convoluted to navigate by 99% of rp'ers on the platform of Dayz. If rape is allowed, people WILL do it, and I don't like the idea of new players getting in game and getting into a situation that is really nasty and not knowing what to do about it. When actual rape rp goes bad it goes really bad. Even if you aren't the active party, but just stumble on someone violently raping someone in the woods...meh. 

To be clear though, it's not just the hostile party who has all the responsibility. Both the hostage and the hostage taker have a responsibility for the other rp'ers enjoyment. The hostage has a responsibility to tell the hostile party ooc that they are uncomfortable. It should NOT be assumed by the hostage that just because the hostage is uncomfortable, that the hostile party is aware of that fact and ignoring it. If you do not tell them, assume that they think you are fine with the rp and having fun.

But even so, rape rp seems like a whole different thing from racist, etc. And btw, this is coming from someone who feels comfortable handling it. It's just that I don't trust 99 out of 100 people to get it right and don't want to have to navigate out of that situation frequently.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Sapphire
42 minutes ago, Brayces said:

I think it's fairly easy to discern when someone is being immature and using TrollRP while in RP. You have to balance how aggressive your character would be. If you're playing a sexual predator who loves to touch butts without permission I highly doubt they'd go into a populated area, run up to a rando and touch their butt in front of 40 different people, right? That's suicide. Same with a racist. You don't run into a populated area and start dropping the N word left and right in every sentence as I am sure someone will want to punch your face in and there are others who would gladly aid them in that endeavor just because it'd be interesting to watch for them.

Playing a character does not mean you condone the things you are doing ICly. But, that also means that playing a character isn't a outlet to be a horrible person and be exempt from criticism. People will judge you for the type of character you are playing SPECIALLY if you do not play them realistically and maturely. 

If you plan to play a character who has bad traits, expect to be targeted for them as well.

You wanna harass people sexually? Better get ready to be chased by characters who will kill those who do such things.

You wanna be racist? Better be ready to be chased by the very races you are damning and their friends.

Maturity is key here, and of course accepting the fall out of your actions as well. If anyone cannot RP maturely, or if you feel the RP you were given was not mature or handled well and instead was TrollRP; record it and report it. The Staff Team and discern what is TrollRP and mature RP for you publicly. 

And lastly, if you are NOT COMFORTABLE with the RP that is going on let that person know OOC. Ping them, message them, jump into TS/Discord, or use OOC chat. I promise you anyone who cares about mature RP or the RP that is currently going on will consider your feelings and change the topic. 

If that butt toucher wanted to RP touching my butt and I said in OOC.

Brayces: //I am not comfortable with this type of RP! Message me on Discord please.

Then on Discord; 

Brayces: Butt touches are gross, can you maybe stab me instead? That RP would be preferable! 

Then the No-Longer-Butt-Toucher can pop back into RP and go, "Well, actually ... Now that I think about it. I don't FEEL like touching this one's butt. Instead, I'm gonna stab 'em! Stabbing is my next favorite thing."

When you give them something else to work with that you are comfortable with, they can certainly try that instead. 

RP is a two way street, and when the other side isn't having any fun it's not fun for anyone.

?

You explained this real well. Gonna be wild to see people pulling this kind of stuff off in good taste and not trolling. This is a mature role playing community, you gotta know that going in or don’t play alone or don’t get in game because a wasteland is a dangerous place in many ways. 

• Diamond

Sexism? How does that even become an issue in a none tolarent country?

When has forced rape been accepted?

When has excessive racism been accepted when done just to be edge?

Edited by Eagle
  • Sapphire
10 hours ago, Cipher said:

ERP is wack

I tried soft ERPing one time like *holds hands* bullshit and I couldn't get it up get into it really. Don't get it

I enjoyed it though.....

Anyway yeah full savage shit tbh as long as it aint badrp I think certain people can get away with anything as long as its chill ya feel?

• Brayces locked this topic