Server time (UTC): 2021-09-24 06:52

Excessive Reporting ?

MacMiller

• Emerald

Hello everybody, I'm just curious. I feel like some people especially the whitenames  are kind've abusing the report system.  I may not be the most popular but hopefully alot of you guy know of have heard of me. I'm a player from 2014-ish and I feel like this community was built on resolving things before taking them to reports but lately just by taking a glance at the report section. I tend to see a bunch of salt reports, even a few by the same person. ( Not trying to stir anything just wanted the communities opinion , I know many of us have been here for years but I feel like before a report is posted we should atleast try to come to a peaceful resolution y'know ? )

• Diamond

>whitenames

I thought we all agreed to stop using this term? What happend exactly? 

Personally, i think dayzrp has always been as it appears right now: people can choose to resolve stuff their own ways. Sometimes people talk it out before even a report is put up. Sometimes they attempt but then it goes up anyway, and sometimes when sutff just seems so blatnant, etcetera, it just goes straight for that. There's no really changing how it is currently.

Addendum:

We've slowly waked back up after a comatose state as per slowly trickled out interest pre .63 and whatnot, so with the surge of players can usually come a surge of reports now and then too, especially at the weekends.

Edited by vivallion

Compared to the two or three pages of unsolved reports we had a year or two ago, I think it's just fine. People have the right to report if they want to, if the staff believe it's unjustified then they'll hand out bans for invalid reports, and eventually those people will either learn to stop reporting for everything or get weeded out by the system. I agree that sometimes people make salt reports but that's just the way of things when the RP or PVP doesn't go their way.

TLDR the system is designed to weed out salt reporters.

Edited by Guest
  • Sapphire

if someone breaks the rules, they should be reported I suppose. Or maybe not. 

• Sapphire

Whitename or not everyone has the right to report if they feel a rule has been broken. If its a simple case then it shouldnt take much effort to resolve, if its legit then its down to the OP what they want to do. Some want to talk, some want to report. Its the individuals choice. 

• Diamond

I feel simple things like slips in RP should sometimes be not reported unless it regularly happens. But ultimately I think that it's always better to try to resolve it out of reports and attempt to talk to the OP. But the way I see it is was what they did whether a rule break or not helpful to the RP scenario? Was the immersion broken? Did whatever they do affect the situation in a positive light? Is what they did believable to the situation, their characters, and your own? Some people get report happy because of hostile roleplayers and get pissy when they get killed for one reason or another and lose their shit (which loot shouldn't really matter to begin with). Before reporting someone you should ask those questions previously, we shouldn't be report happy for every single infraction especially if it may have positively affected the scenario, but of course that's a personal choice on how each individual reports I just think that reporting everything causes issues in the community when banning these people.

Edited by Webby
  • MVP

A member always has the right to report someone if the member feels like a rule has been broken. I always recommend solving it out of the report section, but sometimes this is not possible. 

• Sapphire

Now that You spawn in basically stary unless it’s really a big problem to you I don’t think you need to go report you could just talk about it in TS first. But that’s just me I’m low matinence 

• Diamond

It is a players right if they believe a rule has been broken they have a right to report.

I usually try talking it out first or if it's minor I just take it on the shoulder as a bad experience but that's just me I probably should report but I just tend to let things go when I do make a report it's rare

Honestly,

If you're going to report someone, talk to them first before making said report... If you report someone, it just leaves bad blood, leaves things... Sour. Talking to someone not only settles the score there and then, I'd also have a lot more respect for said person. I've had situations where I've been way to salty to talk it out, but I've learnt from then. 

Talk to someone before reporting, I can't even begin to describe how much good it brings, most of the time anyway. Depends who you're dealing with. Also, if you accidentally break a rule, for example Miss-Iding someone, find them on the TS and The Forums and apologise and if they're not accepting the apology and still reporting, no one can say you didn't try to defuse the situation. That's just how it is,

I guess it's similar to an out of court settlement.

It's all about talking boys, all about talking.

Edited by Beni
  • Sapphire

See the thing is... people who end up in reports usually see no fault in their action. What I have experienced, I also took the route of talking things out back in the day hoping this would be better... but then realized people are willing to say anything to get out of trouble and they do not change... even if they do get points.

So I believe in punishment!

Brake rules deal with it... the only way we can raise standards of RP community imo.

Edited by Shanoby

If someone feels like a rule has been broken they can resolve it however they want, through a report or teamspeak.
You can easily stay respectful to each other in a forum report.
All players involved get the time to think about their actions while writing their point of view and people can do this within their comfort zone.
The report can close if all players manage to resolve it themselves, if not that a teamspeak conversation isn't going to help anyhow and a staff member has to decide for them.

And i'm pretty sure in KOS or RDM situations most people don't even know the name of who shot them so it has to go to a report first.

• MVP
7 hours ago, Jango said:

especially the whitenames  are kind've abusing the report system. 

Ofc talking to people before reporting them is always goo but sometimes you simply cannot be asked to explain shit over and over again or discuss. At this point one can always get staff involved. tbh, I think in some situations white names really don't know better than report because they actually think a rule was broken. I'm glad they do because then the staff team gets to step in and do their job and explain the situation. I think it is a great opportunity for newer people to understand how the rules work and in most of the cases, it works better if someone in a purple or red coat states it as a third mostly neutral party.

If people report because they are salty, trust the staff team to figure that out during the handling of the report.

If someone reports the shit out of literally every situation you are involved in, so what? If you play within the rules - you will be fine, don't let it ruin your rp.

• Emerald

I’ve had people flat out refuse to talk and go straight to reports based purely on high concentrations of sodium.

talking is always a good way to deal with situations and in most circumstances leads to mutual agreement and the dropping of reports. 

People just need to chill more and talk more, and report less, helps lower any hostility he community might contain.

BB72BA68-740B-44F5-8D7D-811EA759ADD2.jpeg

• Sapphire
1 hour ago, Cow said:

I’ve had people flat out refuse to talk and go straight to reports based purely on high concentrations of sodium.

talking is always a good way to deal with situations and in most circumstances leads to mutual agreement and the dropping of reports. 

People just need to chill more and talk more, and report less, helps lower any hostility he community might contain.

BB72BA68-740B-44F5-8D7D-811EA759ADD2.jpeg

Honestly plus juan to this....

Make a rule tbh, if you feel like a rule has been broken you must speak to the other party before hand that would stop a lot of bad vibes have like a CS moderate of course so it dont go wild.

• Emerald

I tend to look at reports where video is included, and a lot of the times:

1. - Nicely cut into the posters favor.
  2. - Too much squeaky girly boy voices.
  3. - spastic strafing movement.
  4. - trolling behavior
  5. - use of non RP lingo
  6. - unfair executions or people getting executed not following orders. I mean come on..
  7. fearless super soldiers

And technically all of them include some dumb anti-RP robbery where someone has a twitchy triggerfinger.

And when it's not this it's just an ID mixup, or shitty things as combat logging, NLR, or RP related reports.

But yeah as for OP. We used to have a "pre-report" section where you could post a topic to get it all resolved not involving a moderator. This usually went fine, sometimes it escalated to an official report.

• MVP
3 hours ago, Beni said:

Honestly,

If you're going to report someone, talk to them first before making said report... If you report someone, it just leaves bad blood, leaves things... Sour. Talking to someone not only settles the score there and then, I'd also have a lot more respect for said person. I've had situations where I've been way to salty to talk it out, but I've learnt from then. 

Talk to someone before reporting, I can't even begin to describe how much good it brings, most of the time anyway. Depends who you're dealing with. Also, if you accidentally break a rule, for example Miss-Iding someone, find them on the TS and The Forums and apologise and if they're not accepting the apology and still reporting, no one can say you didn't try to defuse the situation. That's just how it is,

I guess it's similar to an out of court settlement.

It's all about talking boys, all about talking.

I agree with you to a point but history has shown that some people aren't mature enough to deal with it by talking. Also when some have tried to talk it out they can get railroaded by several of the accused group pressuring them into dropping the report etc.

To make this work better (talking strategy), then a member of staff would need to be present as a mediator or at the very least one of the group leaders is the one who talk to the alleged victim.

I'm not going agaisnt you on this but not everyone has the confidence to talk it out or if they try to the conversation can break down. 

Honestly?  I think it's the best it's been in a long ass time... we have a full 50+ server most night and we have what? 6 reports up? Considering half the groups atm are hostile RP groups, some led or highly influenced by amnestied people... i'd say 6 reports is a frigging bargain! And is only a testament to how on point most people are atm with their RP, hostile or otherwise. 

I remember the doom sayers being all like "if we bring back Hostile RP rights, the sky is gonna fall and shit out demons that force a billion rule break reports every 20 seconds!".... 

But yet we only have 6 reports up... 

I don't know about you but that makes me smile ?

Are there a few false reporters or very anal people when it comes to what they consider "Rulebreaks" ... sure... salt is a byproduct of a healthy community, and should be expected and endured.

Hell a personal example is , when infiltarting a bandit group a few days ago to get dirt on em, they kidnapped a Kamenci member @RebelRP, when they came to fuck their shit up, I tried explaining I wasn't with em, I still got executed. I will be honest, I felt salt... I felt an annoyance inside from dying that, if I was anyone else, I could honestly understand and even empathise with why they'd file a report for something like "Bad RP" just because of pure salt... so it doesn't surprise me that some people just give into that feeling and do fire up their ol' reporting muscles. The trick is to enjoy the RP that came from it ?

But as long as the staff keep on top of their game as far as reports are concerned (which tbh, they are doing a really good job considering they just went from an average of 10-20 players at peak once a week to like 50 players a night) we should be fine ^_^ 

Edited by The Traveler
  • Legend

Please don't try and shame new players from reporting what they believe to be rule breaks. Sure, sometimes as a new player they may be unaware of whether or not something is a true rule break but I would prefer for them to report and bring the issue forward. Often times I see newer players bullied into silence under the guise of "You are new so you don't know the rules like I do and what I did wasn't technically a rule break and a report will go no where." When it was and the new player goes about thinking they were in the wrong until way later they learn the opposite. Often times further into the future, to the point of not wanting to bother with reporting it after so much time has passed. This is not to say I would prefer to have tons of salt reports where a new player (or old) is upset for getting robbed and losing their gear or dying on their own merit, etc. But, if there is a situation in which a rule was broken and a new player happened to be the victim I would prefer them to bring the report forward so it can be processed.

Maybe in the process of having the Report up the parties talk it out, with a mediator or not and that is grand! Win win for both sides. I enjoy when a mutual ground can be met. But sometimes it's best to showcase who is often breaking rules so they can be dealt with appropriately. Because someone who has a itchy trigger finger and is attacking new players for the sake of easy big dicking opportunities just brings down the whole RP aspect to the server, in my opinion. At that point we're simply a "No-KOS" server and not a RP Server any longer. 

On the flip side, sometimes just going to the person who you had a poor encounter with is not possible to talk it out and a Report has to be thrown up to locate who did what and when. 

TLDR; Let new players report rule breaks. Talking it out is cool too. Punishments from rule breaks still need to be addressed either way.

P.S: With a increase in player base, you better believe we will have a influx of reports. It's what happens when people actively play on the server. 

Most of the time i cba to even bother with a report, not worth the hassle would rather just talk it out... if someone repeatedly breaks a rule sure they should be banned but nobody deserves to be banned from playing the game for a few days because they made a mistake or forgot one of the rules.

• Legend

Always used to be that you made a report, you were required to speak to the other party involved within 24 hours and then you asked staff whether or not you wanted to go ahead with the justice system..

Maybe we could get this back in?

I don't see a problem with making a report, just need to be willing to accept an apology/realise you were wrong and get on with it.

2 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Always used to be that you made a report, you were required to speak to the other party involved within 24 hours and then you asked staff whether or not you wanted to go ahead with the justice system..

Maybe we could get this back in?

I don't see a problem with making a report, just need to be willing to accept an apology/realise you were wrong and get on with it.

"let's go formal"

• Event Master

Not a big fan of reporting myself. Like many others said, just talk with eachother on TS or something. 

• Legend

There's nothing wrong with reporting something that happened if you thought there was a rule break. At the end of the day It might be true that someone broke a rule and you were right to report it but if not, no issue with that, you can learn from it and get a better understanding of the rule. 

As others have said, you can always try and talk it out with the other party and sort it out but if that doesn't work a report is fine. 

• Sapphire

I used to be too lenient and have dropped many reports, but lately I've tried not to do that. Although I've been finding when people want to take someones gear they provide "just enough" roleplay to avoid being banned in a report. I don't care about my stuff and I just want roleplay but if a group takes me captive and provides bland and boring RP and then takes everything I've gathered from the week before, yeah I'll feel pretty upset.