Jump to content

Server time (UTC): 2021-09-18 13:42

Blood, Bullets and Politics
TODAY | 2021-09-18 20:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 6 hours, 17 minutes

The potential of base-building and groups.


Recommended Posts

So far in my 35 hours of DayzRP, I've noticed a lot of differences in groups present.

I've seen just how far groups are willing to go to express their fondness, or dislike for another group.
ICly, I've been settling with the doctors outside of Vybor for a while now, they're nice and they take care of my character.
Now with this, of course comes dangers, the Nationalists seem to never break when it comes to pestering the groups around Vybor.

But I've noticed they have certain patrol patterns, and places where they usually stay. The doctors for instance stay in a house outside of Vybor, and go out and about to hunt for supplies.
The Nationalists even have certain areas they patrol, I've noticed this through rather unfortunate encounters with them, as I'm sure a lot of you have too.
As I see it, the potential with base-building and how groups operate would be mind blowing. Just imagine the Nationalists rolling up into Stary and building defenses, declaring the town under their control. And the Saviors, in Novy, building defenses there, and an active hostile interaction is held in the hills between Stary and Novy, effectively making it war zone. Trade patterns for the doctors would be ruined, and traffic to and from the West and East would be affected because of the conflict.
The potential for RP scenarios and blockades, checkpoints, armed patrols, each group making botched attempts at government, AGH, the potential.
I've seen people mention that base building is coming in the next update, and I am very excited for that. Maybe we'll see some of these things actually happen, the future looks good.
But just as a conversation holder, for said potential, when this comes true, what kind of buildings do you think you'd make?
I think trade posts along barren highways and refugee camps are a good idea, personally.
But I've just been so excited about this I can't just keep my thoughts to myself.

Link to comment

I can only hope base building will require a lot of effort to claim the area so people have to invest time and pick the location wisely. I can only hope that with basebuilding there will be some admin tools preventing griefing. I remember in 2015/2016 arriving at the vacation camp above tisy. There were 20+ tents, a lot of RPers, even some song could be heard. Amazing experience - a true refugee camp. Few days later somebody burned everyting in campfires when almost nobody was online. Heartbreaking to know that that kind of people can become the part of this community. Also I would love to see small improvised camps in the middle of the woods, and towns with walls and gates with 'no guns allowed beyond the gate'. Like real post apocalyptic communities.

And you're absolutely right. If the base building tools will reach us soon, the potential on RP server will be... daamn ?

Link to comment
  • MVP
1 hour ago, Fontaineaux said:

So far in my 35 hours of DayzRP, I've noticed a lot of differences in groups present.

I've seen just how far groups are willing to go to express their fondness, or dislike for another group.
ICly, I've been settling with the doctors outside of Vybor for a while now, they're nice and they take care of my character.
Now with this, of course comes dangers, the Nationalists seem to never break when it comes to pestering the groups around Vybor.

But I've noticed they have certain patrol patterns, and places where they usually stay. The doctors for instance stay in a house outside of Vybor, and go out and about to hunt for supplies.
The Nationalists even have certain areas they patrol, I've noticed this through rather unfortunate encounters with them, as I'm sure a lot of you have too.
As I see it, the potential with base-building and how groups operate would be mind blowing. Just imagine the Nationalists rolling up into Stary and building defenses, declaring the town under their control. And the Saviors, in Novy, building defenses there, and an active hostile interaction is held in the hills between Stary and Novy, effectively making it war zone. Trade patterns for the doctors would be ruined, and traffic to and from the West and East would be affected because of the conflict.
The potential for RP scenarios and blockades, checkpoints, armed patrols, each group making botched attempts at government, AGH, the potential.
I've seen people mention that base building is coming in the next update, and I am very excited for that. Maybe we'll see some of these things actually happen, the future looks good.
But just as a conversation holder, for said potential, when this comes true, what kind of buildings do you think you'd make?
I think trade posts along barren highways and refugee camps are a good idea, personally.
But I've just been so excited about this I can't just keep my thoughts to myself.

It is great to see that a new player in community recognizes all this and I wish everybody else was so passionate, vocal and detailed about it. But the fact that base building adds a whole lot of RP value is nothing new, to be completely honest. Back when DayZRP was running Arma 2 custom DayZRP Mod + Epoch in late 2013-2014, we had extensive base building and my god you should have seen the roleplay. Blockades, checkpoints, ambushes, headquarters, everything you said AND more were heavily involved in our characters' daily lives. There were even quite famous settlements, such as the Raven's Nest, staff-run trade post, and the gorgeous lakeside Homestead in Pobeda. The quality of interactions was multiplied thanks to base building, because even bandits had something else to do than just rob or kill. I remember so vividly that the 501st, a military group whom were allies to us Free Medics, had set up a full-on drawbridge and checkpoint with guard towers on Pobeda Dam so that nobody would be able to go across to our base unannounced and harass us.

It certainly provided some unique and unforgettable roleplay so I fully agree with your sentiment. Once base building is implemented in Standalone, I am sure many modders around the world including our beloved in-house developer Kerkkoh will do their best to provide us with the tools of recreating and improving on that experience. However, you must bear in mind that the initial form of base building will be severely limited and possibly very buggy. We are going to have to keep playing the waiting game until we have something stable.

Edited by Semiazas
Link to comment
  • Sapphire

I have plans to make a sort of food stand in one of the more popular towns, or hell maybe along the road  somewhere that isnt prone to banditry. Id be happy to set one up in or near a camp as well if the owners gave me permission.

Link to comment
  • MVP
10 minutes ago, Zilly said:

I have plans to make a sort of food stand in one of the more popular towns, or hell maybe along the road  somewhere that isnt prone to banditry. Id be happy to set one up in or near a camp as well if the owners gave me permission.

The new Free Medics Homestead directly west of Sosnovka would be happy to have you around:) You could even do that now, though persistence might be a bit of an issue for the time being.

Link to comment
  • Emerald

Alas, if only the Refuge was around to see the day that base building came to DayZ

Link to comment
  • Diamond

Base building is will be great but I strongly agree that they can be griefed / taken down because, You can and attack a settlement, first thing is your gonna break the walls down etc, Makes more IC sense in my eyes. You go and attack it and the walls wont come down. doesn't make sense tbh. So IMO they can be griefed or taken down.

Link to comment
  • Diamond

I’m all for building but you need to accept the fact that your camp will get broken into if it’s not defend enough. 

I don’t see a problem with someone coming across a camp in the middle of the woods and thinking “ok I’m getting in there to see what’s good” 

griefing to and extreme where someone has ripped down everything and left you with a float roof that’s over the top, but simply raiding you and breaking in, I feel should be allowed and should be classed as griefing.

People need to realise that if this was IRL places would get broken into no matter what. 

Link to comment
  • MVP

If a base is located in an obvious area, be prepared to defend it. That'll need numbers so it's guarded 24/7. If you don't want it attacked regularly then use a base location that is hidden or located in a place where there is less people 'traffic'.

Base building will be a nice addition but don't moan every five minutes if it's being broken into especially if it located in a an obvious area. Bigger groups can afford to be more obvious with their base location due to the fear factor of breaking into it and their ability to defend it.

Breaking into and stealing stuff and actual griefing will need to be defined. It'll be a fine line though. If I was in a smaller group going up against a bigger group I might want to disrupt and use guerrilla tactics to cause damage which might include destroying property. I suppose like anything in game, if it's got a solid IC reason then expect destruction of those new shiny things (base, vehicles, loot etc.) might be expected. It'll need some serious thought.

Link to comment
  • Diamond

Would be good if they eventually add traps and stuff to defend if no one is there if it is broken into to make it a bit  more difficult to get in and give more of a challenge 

Edited by Scarlett
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Would be good if they eventually add traps and stuff to defend if no one is there if it is broken into to make it a bit  more difficult to get in and give more of a challenge 

During 0.62 one was able to create a tripwire. So probably you could attach cans or grenade to it. The only problem I see here is... well... maybe trapping random houses. But if there are logs, and you would be allowed to only trap your player-made settlement, It would be awesome. Because, sadly, from what I remember, when you were able to leave unpined greanade in a lootbox and there were no kill logs, there were some reports popping out...

Link to comment
  • Diamond
22 minutes ago, DerrickStorm said:

During 0.62 one was able to create a tripwire. So probably you could attach cans or grenade to it. The only problem I see here is... well... maybe trapping random houses. But if there are logs, and you would be allowed to only trap your player-made settlement, It would be awesome. Because, sadly, from what I remember, when you were able to leave unpined greanade in a lootbox and there were no kill logs, there were some reports popping out...

Ya I remember that too. I was thinking more along the lines of building a trap door with spikes underneath that sort of thing

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...