Server time (UTC): 2019-06-26, 05:08
Sign in to follow this  
The Traveler

Food being rare: Discussion

So I promised I wouldn't do super posts anymore, so let's keep this short and sweet. 

Food is a lot rarer now, I have seen 3 people die of starvation whilst we desperatly looked for food. Personally think this is a great thing: 

-Makes larger groups harder to maintain (Why add more people when it means more mouths to feed)

-Gives bandits a good reason to rob people for small stuff like a can of beans, because that can could be the difference between them living and dying

-Outposts have more meaning (Travelling from place to place is harder between stamina and food shortages, having half way points to get fed and rested would be critical to loot runs that arn't hell to go through)

-Makes hunting actually frigging viable : Yeah it takes 30 minutes to an hour to find a herd... but holy crap the amount of food you'd get! ?

Personally think the food shortage is an amazing example of how "GearRP" can be a force for interesting encounters when done properly ?

But what do you guys think? ^_^ 

Edited by The Traveler

There's really a lot of food. I can't comprehend how people are dying from starvation. It's not like 0.61/0.62 starvation patch where full geared players were dying from starvation, and civilians avoiding military zones were thriving. I've logged in today and using fresh food and water sources I've managed to sprint half of the time on my way from Polana to Zelenogorsk.

So far I'm ok for food and water it is a lot less than before however i got lucky today not saying it will last found places that wasnt picked clean and found some food and 3 deers unfortunately I didn't have a loaded gun to get some meat. people are going to popular places that have been picked clean that you have a rare chance to find anything. So for what I'm gathering if you want food or other supplies you have to widen the search not just stick to the usual places like nwaf, triangle area or the areas around you can tell someone has already been through as you don't find a thing

However when you first get ig or a long travel and I have seen it myself you need a good bit of food and you get desperate to find anything when your character is practically crawling the ground from starvation luckily i always find something to survive on till civilization is found

This is a good opportunity for hostile rp something as simple as food because let's face it irl you would rob  someone for their food if you didn't have any or are starving. So loving the challenge the food and thirst is giving ?

Edited by Scarlett

I am used to just bee lining from one area to another so it’s a convience sacrifice for me playing the bandit ? but on the other hand I’ll be stealing a lot of food for me and the boys when we’re getting hungry. Why go searching for food when there’s many people who have done the searching ?  but on a serious note if it’s tweaked alittle to make it so you don’t have to eat every 5 minutes and drink it’ll be a good mechanic for realism. 

Finding canned food is a bit of a pain, but Ive been hunting any animals I find then cooking the meat to offer to people I meet. Im always more than happy to share considering my backpack is always full of steaks n chicken breast. 

Kinda hard to offer food to people when youre mute, but Rex has been trying. ^^

I've had 0 issues with food. Cans galore, steaks galore. I suggest you look in ruined cars, seems to be a hot spot for tins. At one point I had 19 steaks on me and like 6 tins, dont ask why I dont know either.

I haven't had too much trouble with food. From my experience the loot distribution and re-distribution seems pretty sound. Plus, cans now go so much further than they used to. Just eat a little here and there. But even without cans, the lack of needing to cook meat, coupled with the abundance of wildlife makes staying alive relatively easy.

I've found it just as easy to smack a chicken every now and then and snack on the raw meat while I search around town for food.
More often than not they're hidden in plain sight, thought it is quite annoying when you find cans but can't open them because you haven't gotten anything sharp.
Someone did mention the possibility of people spawning with a stone-knife or something along those lines so that if your character model isn't right, you could fix it there.
But, it could also be used to help open cans.
Just a thought.

I didn't know that food had been reduced. I have been so stocked up when I've been running around I have not gotten red hunger once.

I have been living off the land currently. Chickens, mushrooms and apples everywhere. 
And no cans of food, I noticed that too. Which is fine, getting robbed for a can of beans now makes sense.

And yes, they should add in the "bacteria" or food poisoning script soon. It feels weird to be able to just eat everything raw, or at all.
Some mushrooms should be a suicide tool.

I have not had the chance to check out the food situation since the server has been switched. But a slight bit of rarity would not hurt, we cannot expect our characters to keep healthy diets after over a year since the apocalypse. Tweaking a bit with the hunger/thirst meters so that we actually have a chance would be nice, though.

7 minutes ago, Semiazas said:

I have not had the chance to check out the food situation since the server has been switched. But a slight bit of rarity would not hurt, we cannot expect our characters to keep healthy diets after over a year since the apocalypse. Tweaking a bit with the hunger/thirst meters so that we actually have a chance would be nice, though.

It's still easy as of now. water is no issue. Neither is food. you find stuff everywhere, but canned food is indeed more rare now.

Honestly, I kind of noticed that too. Not saying it's a bad thing. The first time I logged I wasn't able to find much food. To be fair, I wasn't able to find much of anything which led me to believe that the areas I was scouting were looted earlier, before even I got there. Next day I had zero troubles finding canned food, the biggest issue was finding bottles or canteen to store water.

Overall, I don't think that food and water situation atm is that much of a problem. If anything it adds to the realism that in the world where supplies are scarce, there wouldn't be much left laying around. Its not that difficult to hunt animals for meat either. I mean, every town I go to has at least 1--3 chickens runnning around. As for canned food being rare... well... its not like someone is currently working to produce more of them, it's normal that canned stuff would become much scarce with time as more and more survivors find the last bits of it. Eventually humans would've to turn entirely towards living of the land (e.g. farming, hunting etc.)

I've only been able to be in game once for a couple hours, in the middle of nowhere I was able to find food. No worries. But I assume the locations you'll find people role-playing in would be picked empty. 

My opinion on it though is that I'm here more for the role playing than the survival aspect. The last patch where food was rare had rp suffering immensely as people couldn't afford to role play, they had to find food. Or you'd just find people sitting at Apple trees spamming them constantly. 

I'd prefer having to worry more about rp than eating. But we managed last time and I'm sure they'll tweak it. 

I've also not really had time to really gage how big of an issue it currently is. 

Staying fed and hydrated is still the easiest part of DayZ, especially now that there's no sickness in game. I've been finding too much food in this patch, it's everywhere. Canned goods in almost half of the clothing items I find, chickens are still everywhere. You can even survive on just fruit and mushrooms if you know what spots to check. And hunting, jesus christ. If you kill even half a herd of deer, you're set for weeks (assuming you can carry even 1/4 of it).

Yeah, food's plentiful really. Maybe not as easy to come by before but certainly not anywhere near hard to find. I've been managing just fine with no problems except for the beginning. But after that I was set and haven't had any close calls since. I mean hell, I don't even let the icon get yellow for more than a minute at best.

I like food being rare. Robberies are more for food and drink now rather than just cool vest, I am a fan of the way it is now

36 minutes ago, Diamond said:

I like food being rare. Robberies are more for food and drink now rather than just cool vest, I am a fan of the way it is now

To be honest, I find cans of food all the time. They're still plenty available. 

Not sure if you remember the Dayz MOD "Dayz2017".... but shit, that was hard. A can of beans was really a rare item.

I spent 5 minutes wandering about and every tree I found, almost 9/10 times I found apples and pears at the foot of them. The odd can of food too. I don't think there's a problem with food, y'all just don't have eyes if you can't see them. ?

9 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I spent 5 minutes wandering about and every tree I found, almost 9/10 times I found apples and pears at the foot of them. The odd can of food too. I don't think there's a problem with food, y'all just don't have eyes if you can't see them. ?

Don't forget the plum trees. ?

1 hour ago, Diamond said:

^ This.

We're 457 days into this, I'd imagine canned / bagged food are gonna be somewhat more scarce than when the outbreak occurred, of course. I've had more of an issue with how quickly my character gets dehydrated, not sure whether it's just me but it dips super quick for whatever reason.

It's good the way it is, food just needs to fill you up more and last longer. Can literally eat 3 cans of spaghetti and then start dying of starvation 15 minutes later.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:37 PM, Diamond said:

-User was warned for this post-

-User was cautioned for this post-