Jump to content
Server time: 2018-12-17, 15:55

Online Day  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I know reasons for decreasing player counts have been numerous in the past months/weeks, and it is often hard to find good reasons and motivation to get in game.

However I am probably not the only one who, sometimes, really wants to get in game and have some fun rp, but when looking at online counts of 3/60 people instantly loses the motivation to do so. Of course, this somewhat causes a downwards spiral that worsenes the situation.

Or in other words: To get in game, there needs to be a prospect of finding good rp. If the server is empty, that prospect is not there, hence I dont get in game -> the server stays empty.

Now, I have experienced the same situation in a somewhat different community, but on the bottom line it also required a certain player count being online simultaneously to work out. In that community, we tackled the problem by introducing an online day (in that case: every tuesday from 2000GMT to 2400GMT) - simply a mutual agreement to get online together around that time - and it worked really well. Everybody knew they could expect a great experience when getting online during that time, so everybody tried to get online that time. Staff was able to host events during the online day and attendance numbers were way better than before having the online day.

Now, the big argument against such an online day is that it might result in the server population during other times being even lower than before, which would especially suck for those players for whom the online day's time does not work. However, what we experienced in the other community, was kind of an opposite effect: people who had not shown up for a longer time came back for the online day, and people found the "fun" again that was lost due to decreasing player counts. Hence, they "rediscovered" the game and fun -> and stayed/came online more frequently at other times as well

The online day "induced" a hype that somewhat repopulated the rest of the week (at a lower level of course, but still better than before) - and became the sort of highlight of the week in that community.

------------

Bottom line, I just thought maybe this might be an idea for DayZRP as well and wanted to bring it up here. I added a brief poll and am curious what pro/con arguments might be brought up 😉

Cheers

Edited by SheepyMcSheepface

Share this post


Link to post

The weekend has always been a DayZRP "online day", although lately even that hasn't helped. I hope to reignite interest with a scheduled weekly events and streams in the upcoming weeks, if my free time allows. I think something like Saturday being a trading night and Sunday having a salvage hunt would be a good start.

But setting a certain day and time to get online, I'm not sure. Just getting online and standing there without anything to do will not help, there has to be an incentive or objective and that's where my plan for events that do not require massive effort comes in.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

This happens on a lot of games and servers. I know it as seeding, when I play on my squad server you need at least some players to put it up in the browser so at 2pm everyday we populate the server and it fills, takes an hour and then its full until 2am then dies out. It's pretty easy considering we have about 40 consistent clan players.

Its effective but DayZ is also finding people, not the chances of finding good RP but anyone at all which can still be an issue at a full server.

Edited by Gaylaxitive

Share this post


Link to post

Setting a day and time won't work, everyone's commitments are different, work hours around the world are different, time zones are a factor, family life, and the fact a lot of people are simply not playing Dayz right now/any more. 

The weekends are the best bet to get most people on at once, and usually that is the case anyways Like Roland said, events are more likely to draw people in rather than just an arbitrary date and time hopefully people will be on for. The new rules might help bring people back, 0.63 might bring people back... we can only wait and hope. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I like the incentive Sheepy, staff are trying to arrange events to appease the player-base into getting in game, not sure when but we will get there!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I like the incentive Sheepy, staff are trying to arrange events to appease the player-base into getting in game, not sure when but we will get there!

There has pretty much been an improvised event of "Hunt the wild Rolle" going on in the server for the past day or so thats a start!

Rolle should reveal his exact location every 30 minutes and allow people to KOS him...thatd be fun for everyone and get people to hop in 😉 

Maybe come up with a lore reason for everyone to want him dead

Edited by OskuRP

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, OskuRP said:

There has pretty much been an improvised event of "Hunt the wild Rolle" going on in the server for the past day or so thats a start!

Rolle should reveal his exact location every 30 minutes and allow people to KOS him...thatd be fun for everyone and get people to hop in 😉 

Maybe come up with a lore reason for everyone to want him dead

I guess thats a thing now huh?

 

We want to do lore events but its difficult when the lore has the potential to be changed/reset in the foreseeable future, so maybe KOS events are a good start. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, The Buddha said:

arbitrary date and time

31 minutes ago, OskuRP said:

been an improvised event

That is the thing. I (and assumably many others) did not know about the event/manhunt and where not online... Now if there's a once-a-week date that I know something will happen at, and at that I can expect the server population to be up, I'd likely show up too. Such events are more fun when more people partake, making it more rewarding to organize them, etc. ...

I see how spontaneous ones are really cool - but knowing I can expect something if I come online during a certain (potentially rotating), and if it is only an increased player count (or an increased chance of being able to KOS the big boss 😄 ) would drive me on the server, too 🙂

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I guess thats a thing now huh?

 

We want to do lore events but its difficult when the lore has the potential to be changed/reset in the foreseeable future, so maybe KOS events are a good start. ☺️

@Majorplease save us 

Share this post


Link to post

I want this, yes.

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing will bring back DayZRP, I have so so wanted this to come back but if the DayZ MOD or anything other they the shite game DayZSA can't do it, I think it will just die out like DayZSA is and will. 

But DayZRP MOD was the best time I have ever had playing PC games. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Chappers said:

Nothing will bring back DayZRP, I have so so wanted this to come back but if the DayZ MOD or anything other they the shite game DayZSA can't do it, I think it will just die out like DayZSA is and will. 

But DayZRP MOD was the best time I have ever had playing PC games. 

Preach 

 

I dont think anything can save SA in its current state. And with .63 nowhere on the horizon I dont see it anywhere in the near future.  

Maybe its time to step back and admit Arma is the future 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Nothing will bring back DayZRP, I have so so wanted this to come back but if the DayZ MOD or anything other they the shite game DayZSA can't do it, I think it will just die out like DayZSA is and will. 

But DayZRP MOD was the best time I have ever had playing PC games. 

Yes we know dayz is fucked it's broken and glitchy and the RP has gotten stale, but the community as ask for the changes and has promise  @Roland Delivered and what happened nothing no one got in game no one bothered, I did get in but there were 6 players online I did a bit of RP but when there is only three to RP within one spot It gets shit there is only so much you can do, the reason the server is dead at the min is nothing to do with the game, I feel it's us as a community we are the only ones to blame and we are the only ones who can get the server back up and running, I'm not saying you should get in game and I know you can not force people to play, but if we as the dayzrp community what this to work then we need to work together to get it to work, not just sit by  reading the forums and moaning about the server pop just like I'm doing right now

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, ReaperRP said:

Yes we know dayz is fucked it's broken and glitchy and the RP has gotten stale, but the community as ask for the changes and has promise  @Roland Delivered and what happened nothing no one got in game no one bothered, I did get in but there were 6 players online I did a bit of RP but when there is only three to RP within one spot It gets shit there is only so much you can do, the reason the server is dead at the min is nothing to do with the game, I feel it's us as a community we are the only ones to blame and we are the only ones who can get the server back up and running, I'm not saying you should get in game and I know you can not force people to play, but if we as the dayzrp community what this to work then we need to work together to get it to work, not just sit by  reading the forums and moaning about the server pop just like I'm doing right now

 

The opinion of many people I've spoken to about this, is that this changing of the rules, while it is all well and good, is simply too little, too late. Many have moved on to other communities, or left entirely. Measures like this should've been taken when the server population was declining, not when the server is already dead. Maybe people will come back, but with the summer ending, and people going back to school etc, I don't see it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Syoto said:

The opinion of many people I've spoken to about this, is that this changing of the rules, while it is all well and good, is simply too little, too late. Many have moved on to other communities, or left entirely. Measures like this should've been taken when the server population was declining, not when the server is already dead. Maybe people will come back, but with the summer ending, and people going back to school etc, I don't see it happening.

Oh yeah for sure the rules and dynamic groups, and I know that some have gone to different communities other Rp servers, but that just proves that dayz as a hole is not dead it's just that they wanted something else but now that the rules have changed for the better and dynamics are back they can not complain about the rules  don't make sense. As for the lore there is so much that can be done depending on if it's a compleat redo or if it's a time just, let's say it's a time just say 5 years and it's the 0'63 build you could have a lore government set up and like a UN but made up with part CDF, NATO RUSSIA, AND THE UN and they came together to rebuild so there you have a back story on why the NW airfield is bigger, I also believe that the cherno tower has gone in 0.63 too so you could do a bit on why that changed maybe have that it was destroyed in a battle with the group anarchy and the coalition and the tower was replaced by a smaller building there has been so much happened in game as so many things that could be but in the lore/story in chreno, there have been so many groups that have impacted the lore/story I am just spitballing also don't think a new lore would work but a time jump could but I guess time will tell 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ReaperRP said:

Oh yeah for sure the rules and dynamic groups, and I know that some have gone to different communities other Rp servers, but that just proves that dayz as a hole is not dead it's just that they wanted something else but now that the rules have changed for the better and dynamics are back they can not complain about the rules  don't make sense. 

Thing is, as far as I can tell, most haven't left specifically because of the rules, but instead because other new communities offer a fresh experience. The bad rules simply added on to people's existing desire to leave. I doubt people are going to come back because of rule changes when these current rules exist on other communities. I still personally prefer DayzRP, but I have absolutely no intention of playing on a server with 4 other people when my free time is about to become extremely limited with education and work.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Syoto said:

I still personally prefer DayzRP, but I have absolutely no intention of playing on a server with 4 other people

I agree 100% I got on yesterday there were six players and I was with one of my friends and one other at a trader camp we RPed for a bit but there is only so much u can do so we left in a truck and that was that.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×