Server time: 2018-12-15, 17:20
Roland

Lore poll

Lore poll  

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Banshee said:

Yes, but it would be extremely akward having to run around pretending 50% of the buildings are completely gone and or ruined beyond point of recognition.

Yes, I understand you and you're right. We got to take the map as it is, not RP out something is/is not there. That was a comment regarding lore or roleplay explaining changes in the map. 🙂 But we shouldn't say IC that the NWAF changed since we've been last there (after patch lands). When I was talking about groups from fallout I didn't mean that we gotta RP pollution, radiation, etc. Map as it is offers us unlimited roleplay scenarios within "no-shitty-roleplay" boundries.

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, Stormyvill said:

#chernarusbelongstoZBOR

By the looks of it, not much will change.

Spoiler

S63Sg80.png

Edited by Harlow

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Stormyvill said:

#chernarusbelongstoZBOR

Slava, bratr

Edited by Ghoozov

Posted (edited)

Considering I've had quite the break from DayZRP I'm not going to comment specifically on the current state of RP.

But when I decided to take my break there were plenty of issues with the overall quality of roleplay and certain individuals in the community, at least from my perspective.

That being said, most of said individuals have been phased out and I kind of find the idea of a lorewipe enticing.

And I mean hey, if it gets me to crawl out of my hiding hole maybe others who are taking a break might come back too, just some food for thought.

Edited by Ducky

I  am with ducky on this, Slava chernarus, but I do want to say I think a new reset would be a good idea to go into beta with considering beta is a drastic change to the game making it pretty much a new game in general so it would make sense to start again 

Posted (edited)

Personally I like the bare-bones idea. When I first started here it was some what like that and it kept everyone in the dark. It was interesting hearing everyone's characters trying to explain exactly what happened and there were a few cool lore events that were done towards the end before the lore wipe that gave very vague answers and kept a lot of people wondering. When the new lore came everything was explained and it was.. Well. Not as cool. If we're going to do a new lore wipe though, can we please wait for beta / .63? 

I know it may be an unpopular idea but I also think it would be interesting if there was something limiting to how many people could play a non-slavic or non-Chernarussian character. A world where we are trying to RP in a more Eastern European cultured setting rather than a heavily westernized one would be interesting and could create something we haven't exactly seen before. I doubt it would happen but if the only people that could have foreign characters were U.N. or PMCs than I think it would actually mix it up a lot. I've always thought it would be cool focusing on a Chernarussian character but I always get turned off of the idea because everyone I run into is American or British. 

Edited by Zero

The main problem with jumping ahead into the far future is, how do you explain all the zombies? 

If it is an infection that kills the host and revives them, then decomposition would set in, bolstered by insects and heat, a human body would decay in a matter of months. At least to a point where no motor function could be performed as there is no muscle mass to provide movement. 

Mass extinction would also be a major issue with zombie numbers. Jumping 10 years into the future, you would be lucky to see a single zombie, not only due to the above reason, but any new zombie would be dealt with before it could become a problem. Zombies would be hunted to extinction as their numbers declined naturally due to decomposition. Your only areas where zombies could last would be in areas of severe cold. But they would be frozen in place, for the most part, thawing out only when temperatures rise. But even in those areas the body would slowly decay, as it is the nature of dead things to do so. Entropy simply cannot be halted.  If a zombie infection did occur, you only have to wait about two years for zombies to become extinct completely. At the very most, and that's in places like Canada where it is cold and decay is slowed down. Most places in the world, a year at best, depending on new cases. 

If the disease is just turning people mad and feral, well eventually infections would set in, due to the neglect of sanitation and wound care. Basic survival instincts would be out the window, so animals and falls would easily create wounds that would get infected, wallowing in their own filth (I doubt they would nip off to the woods for a shit) would also be a major infection factor, creating sores and other nasties that easily become infected, killing the body rapidly. Also see mass extinction above. 

Also, depending on the nature of the disease, if it is passed on by bite/saliva/blood then those without a natural immunity would simply have to wear protection until the infected become extinct and the bodies can no longer pose a threat. If it is airborne then the rains would clean the air after a few good rainstorms and dilute it into the soil. Soil can then be sterilised and nutrients added for farming to be viable again. Water borne is your main concern. But with some treatment, and avoidance of heavily infected water sources it could be combated. In all, you would be hard pressed to find any infected after 5 years in, never mind 10-25

The only way to explain the zombies and the foreigners would be to have the lore close to the infection outbreak, and have charnarus be one of the last places to become infected, as a sort of safe haven. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2018 at 11:40 AM, Prince said:

But if there is a new lore Id rather us jump to the past (2012) 

Time to run around screaming 2012 memes like last year after the lore wipe we ran around screaming 2017 memes during the first few weeks of the wipe.

Someone say gangnam style?

Edited by Combatsmithen

The most recent lore wipe that took place was rushed. We should have waited until we had a proper solid base and beta was released. I know at the time we had no time span as to whether beta would be released in a few days, few months or even years. But, we had something good made by @Major, @Chief and the other LMs, we should have kept a hold of it and been ready for it. 

But, since that decision has already been made, we need to think of a way of doing it better and not just repeating what we did before and just wiping characters. For me, the Arma lore is a solid base for lore and adapt off it. The current lore is good, but actual details as to how the infection started isn't clear and people just use their own imaginations. That's decent and all, but I think there should be a proper story behind patient zero and not just "someone got bit and that's how it started" kinda deal. Even if we did something like an asteroid came down from space and smacked down just outside of Chernarus and people in the immediate area got infected with a virus. I dunno, Blops zombies lore I know. 

I also think that we should have a structure for people to play around. It's always been a case of join the server and go find random people and random groups that players make. That's good, don't get me wrong, but we went through a small phase where we had 2 lore groups and you basically picked a side. If we had some lore groups potentially ran by staff and some other volunteers, we would be able to create an environment where there is still somewhat stability of proper bases which we can implement in with the map editor, sustain the lore groups with vehicles which they would have prior to the infection which could be done with Admin tools etc. I think it would be far more immersive having a check point ran by an actual Chernarussian army with Mi17 patrols and such. Then as things progresses, aggressors and rioters attack the place and then stability slowly breaks down and more solid groups will form around it. This will be far easier to do with Admin tools of course. 

I still firmly believe we do need changes to the original lore we have now, we can't just say "Eh, we'll keep the current lore and just do a wipe." The lore is good to have so everyone is on the same page, but I think another dynamic of lore being physically in-game with lore groups and trade posts would be brilliant. 

Just my 2 cents. 

33 minutes ago, Jamie said:

The most recent lore wipe that took place was rushed. We should have waited until we had a proper solid base and beta was released. I know at the time we had no time span as to whether beta would be released in a few days, few months or even years. But, we had something good made by @Major, @Chief and the other LMs, we should have kept a hold of it and been ready for it. 

But, since that decision has already been made, we need to think of a way of doing it better and not just repeating what we did before and just wiping characters. For me, the Arma lore is a solid base for lore and adapt off it. The current lore is good, but actual details as to how the infection started isn't clear and people just use their own imaginations. That's decent and all, but I think there should be a proper story behind patient zero and not just "someone got bit and that's how it started" kinda deal. Even if we did something like an asteroid came down from space and smacked down just outside of Chernarus and people in the immediate area got infected with a virus. I dunno, Blops zombies lore I know. 

I also think that we should have a structure for people to play around. It's always been a case of join the server and go find random people and random groups that players make. That's good, don't get me wrong, but we went through a small phase where we had 2 lore groups and you basically picked a side. If we had some lore groups potentially ran by staff and some other volunteers, we would be able to create an environment where there is still somewhat stability of proper bases which we can implement in with the map editor, sustain the lore groups with vehicles which they would have prior to the infection which could be done with Admin tools etc. I think it would be far more immersive having a check point ran by an actual Chernarussian army with Mi17 patrols and such. Then as things progresses, aggressors and rioters attack the place and then stability slowly breaks down and more solid groups will form around it. This will be far easier to do with Admin tools of course. 

I still firmly believe we do need changes to the original lore we have now, we can't just say "Eh, we'll keep the current lore and just do a wipe." The lore is good to have so everyone is on the same page, but I think another dynamic of lore being physically in-game with lore groups and trade posts would be brilliant. 

Just my 5 cents. 

This. This is golden. I had been thinking of properly expressing my opinions on the subject to no avail, and here comes @Jamie the mindreader.

I would like to add slight variations, however. I think the lore needs to be created from scratch - not just basing it on Arma and adapting off it, but fixing the gaps and connecting the dots in an even more effective way under the guidance of current/ex staff members whom are experienced with it. Having a proper origins story and a structure to play around with would really turn the tides for the better.

I especially agree with the part regarding having lore groups potentially ran by staff and other volunteers, as it would give a true sensation of being part of a movie that is interactive only to a certain degree, which is a great thing. Otherwise when people are left completely and only to their own devices where they are the only ones affecting what is going around them; it tends to turn into a clusterf*ck of lore entanglements that are barely compatible with each other - and in the end, they get bored.

Outside influence is good and more importantly realistic, because that is how things work in real life. Chernarussian Army checkpoints, NATO patrols and the like should be a factor to show people a solid basis for a world that keeps on turning; with or without them. That is the cornerstone of human life and we are in a community that wishes to simulate that. Of course the lore and the lore groups must be adaptive/evolving as well: they should be able to be beaten, driven off or even wiped out; all fully based on a self-sustaining and progressive intervention of players where their choices will have actual consequences that affect even those whom they have never met in-game.

Edited by Semiazas

I have a suggestion to make regarding the time and lore. In some ads found around Chernarus you can still see that something was about to happen in 2009. If lore starts in 2018 that would mean that those signs haven't been updated for more than nine years.

My idea now is, that the "DayZ" timeline could be an alternate timeline from the one in the Armaverse. In this timeline during the war of 2009 someone (maybe the Chedaki or NaPa) released a virus, a biological weapon. This virus then infected most of the Chernorussian population, causing the zombie apocalypse.

I think there should be heavily scripted lore that people can follow. Hand holding and (main goals) is a good idea, it helps keep people from being bored

Lore wipe and NATO v VDV part 3

1 hour ago, ErebodyH8esBanksRP said:

Lore wipe and NATO v VDV part 3

when was there a v2 lmao

3 hours ago, Dew said:

when was there a v2 lmao

It happened out of character lol

On 8/22/2018 at 12:17 PM, Harvey said:

Can we have some love for a lore set in the early 90s? I'm talking the fall of the iron curtain + zombies. How can you not like that?

That,

Eh, if Rolle didn't keep the LM's the whole time even though they were dedicated then what is the point? Roll out a 10 paragraph essay and call it good why not.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:13 AM, Jamie said:

"But, since that decision has already been made, we need to think of a way of doing it better and not just repeating what we did before and just wiping characters. For me, the Arma lore is a solid base for lore and adapt off it. The current lore is good, but actual details as to how the infection started isn't clear and people just use their own imaginations. That's decent and all, but I think there should be a proper story behind patient zero and not just "someone got bit and that's how it started" kinda deal. Even if we did something like an asteroid came down from space and smacked down just outside of Chernarus and people in the immediate area got infected with a virus. I dunno, Blops zombies lore I know."

Great post but what you said here is not completely correct.

When me, Chief, and Joules sat down to write the Lore on that late May afternoon in 2017 we didn't do a timeline, we didn't draw out a detailed plan of what we wanted or anything thing like that. We immediately established ground zero, what occurred there, who it was perpetrated by, and the result, going all the way back to the original infection of the first CDF soldier and also what caused him to be infected.  Hint he wasn't bitten. He had a name, and all the events following his infection, including the response by the state, and the arrival of the Russians is all documented.

This past winter me and Taryn wrote an entire doc that was written to be a report by an FSB officer who was present. This doc was going to be partially uncovered in a Lore event but Rolle removed LM's so that sort of went out the window. Granted I do understand that some of this stuff was never published and hence very few know about it, but a TON of stuff was uncovered by the UN and other parties who worked with the LMs on ground zero RP and such. I have never been a believer of just releasing stuff to the general public, working for it is always better than just handing it out. My point is only that the infection Lore background (in terms of history and location), AND how the virus came to be a thing, has been written down or fleshed out. Specifically the original bits virus goes back thousands of years in one form or variant or another. So yeah that was a thing.

On a side note, bear in mind people generally don't give much of a fuck about Lore details, or things like what I discussed below. We tossed out ton of fucking clues, hints, and in many cases even straight up told people what was going on only to have next to no interest or follow up. So I would focus on bigger events and battles and such. Getting people to care is the hard part.

But I absolutely agree that having tools could make things amazing on the server. I know you and me have had some LONG ASS talks about what we could do, especially because admins and LMs would work in tangent. We had two principal ways I planned to take the Lore once we had tools. One was that we were going to turn Chernarus and Russia (and the factions occupying the outlying regions) in to a sort of Game of Thrones style environment. So wars, backstabbing, etc, etc. The other was going to be that the surrounding factions and settlements were basically going to be slowly degraded into feudal-style setting. We could have easily combined these two.

I'd be down to return provided I could actually work with admins to do these events and have a tad more trust and freedom. 

Edited by Major

I remember during the mod days we had this group of black-dressed individuals we fought against as they tried to eliminate what little survivors remained in Chernarus. Those were the fun days.

On 9/16/2018 at 2:46 AM, Major said:

Great post but what you said here is not completely correct.

When me, Chief, and Joules sat down to write the Lore on that late May afternoon in 2017 we didn't do a timeline, we didn't draw out a detailed plan of what we wanted or anything thing like that. We immediately established ground zero, what occurred there, who it was perpetrated by, and the result, going all the way back to the original infection of the first CDF soldier and also what caused him to be infected.  Hint he wasn't bitten. He had a name, and all the events following his infection, including the response by the state, and the arrival of the Russians is all documented.

This past winter me and Taryn wrote an entire doc that was written to be a report by an FSB officer who was present. This doc was going to be partially uncovered in a Lore event but Rolle removed LM's so that sort of went out the window. Granted I do understand that some of this stuff was never published and hence very few know about it, but a TON of stuff was uncovered by the UN and other parties who worked with the LMs on ground zero RP and such. I have never been a believer of just releasing stuff to the general public, working for it is always better than just handing it out. My point is only that the infection Lore background (in terms of history and location), AND how the virus came to be a thing, has been written down or fleshed out. Specifically the original bits virus goes back thousands of years in one form or variant or another. So yeah that was a thing.

On a side note, bear in mind people generally don't give much of a fuck about Lore details, or things like what I discussed below. We tossed out ton of fucking clues, hints, and in many cases even straight up told people what was going on only to have next to no interest or follow up. So I would focus on bigger events and battles and such. Getting people to care is the hard part.

But I absolutely agree that having tools could make things amazing on the server. I know you and me have had some LONG ASS talks about what we could do, especially because admins and LMs would work in tangent. We had two principal ways I planned to take the Lore once we had tools. One was that we were going to turn Chernarus and Russia (and the factions occupying the outlying regions) in to a sort of Game of Thrones style environment. So wars, backstabbing, etc, etc. The other was going to be that the surrounding factions and settlements were basically going to be slowly degraded into feudal-style setting. We could have easily combined these two.

I'd be down to return provided I could actually work with admins to do these events and have a tad more trust and freedom. 

I personally and strongly believe that we need this. Not just because there already was quite a lot of effort which even now deserves a triumphant return; but also because the current administration of DayZRP seems to have noticed that giving the people of the community absolute free reign with the lore drives it down the levee, giving way to a low-quality roleplaying atmosphere which is at best third grade at its core. This is evident with the ever-declining playerbase, even though it is simply one of the reasons why they leave. I, for one, wish to be part of a grand universe where there is finesse, intrigue, proper interactivity and an ultimate goal in the immediate background. Adding the fact that we now have three servers distributed along three different maps with the DayZ World, we could create an amazing lore that is fit for the finest of cinema.

I would even love to personally help out, if there is ever any need for an English Literature graduate to handle some busywork here and there.

Edited by Semiazas

11 hours ago, Semiazas said:

I personally and strongly believe that we need this. Not just because there already was quite a lot of effort which even now deserves a triumphant return; but also because the current administration of DayZRP seems to have noticed that giving the people of the community absolute free reign with the lore drives it down the levee, giving way to a low-quality roleplaying atmosphere which is at best third grade at its core. This is evident with the ever-declining playerbase, even though it is simply one of the reasons why they leave. I, for one, wish to be part of a grand universe where there is finesse, intrigue, proper interactivity and an ultimate goal in the immediate background. Adding the fact that we now have three servers distributed along three different maps with the DayZ World, we could create an amazing lore that is fit for the finest of cinema.

I would even love to personally help out, if there is ever any need for an English Literature graduate to handle some busywork here and there.

Yes but Rolle has made up his mind that he can be LM for all 4 servers and still somehow be effectual and interesting. Until tools are available, LMs given some form of power, and the community picks up there is no point.

The Lore doesnt really need changing, it's not a great lore but it ain't bad either. It was written with what most people wanted in mind. What matters most is what we do with it. I might no longer be an LM but it is good to see people who care.

8 minutes ago, Major said:

Yes but Rolle has made up his mind that he can be LM for all 4 servers and still somehow be effectual and interesting. Until tools are available, LMs given some form of power, and the community picks up there is no point.

The Lore doesnt really need changing, it's not a great lore but it ain't bad either. It was written with what most people wanted in mind. What matters most is what we do with it. I might no longer be an LM but it is good to see people who care.

I think now it matters more than ever, especially considering the recent developments with multiple servers and a "world" instead of a city as playground. As things progress, "what most people want" will also change and I am afraid the lore as it is may not keep up with an influx of new players - not in a truly coherent manner anyway. It would just be serving as a basic set of guidelines, instead of something to truly immerse ourselves with. But of course, everybody is titled to their own opinions. I am simply saying that maybe some common ground can be found, somehow.

The first years I played here I only knew two things about the lore was CDKZ are to be killed and the CDF were pussies.
It was the best time I had on here not knowing anything and just rolling with what happened IG, I don't really see the need for LM's unless like mentioned by many they get some form of tools as the lore itself is really just subjugated to those that want a hardcore RP character and can be voided simply by learning two or 3 things about it as it doesn´t really affect the quality of the RP.

Edited by Eagle

Quality of the roleplay is largely about sustainability over long term. If everything was fine and dandy with DayZRP right now, I would say "Sure, there is no real need for a lore improvement or a similar move". But during a time when we are attempting to breathe new life into the community with new projects and such, having an improved lore along with related lore events, staff-run factions and so on would only be a plus. Otherwise there would be no need for any kind of lore anyway, people can make up stuff just fine - but get bored with it fairly quickly. Think of it as the difference between reading a well-written, edited and published novel or daydreaming about random, novel-esque encounters. Sure, the latter is fun but the former is a thrill.

Edited by Semiazas