Server time (UTC): 2020-01-22, 09:49 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Lore poll

Lore poll  

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nice poll Rolle, I appreciate the communication with the community.

I prefer a time jump of the current lore of 10 or 15 years instead of a whole new lore to be honest. But if we're doing a lorewipe I prefer to keep it as realistic as possible. 

2 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I prefer a time jump of the current lore of 10 or 15 years instead of a whole new lore to be honest. But if we're doing a lorewipe I prefer to keep it as realistic as possible. 

10-15? If we had a loremaster dedicated to actually filling in those gaps I'd agree but we don't. 

Stick to a 1-2 no more than 5 years.

Does this mean we'll be seeing Lore Masters reintroduced? 

>making a new lore right after dropping lore masters 

I dont think this is the time for a new lore with .63 coming in a few years 

But if there is a new lore Id rather us jump to the past (2012) than the future and without the CDF Chedaki civil unrest I dont think the story would be as good. 

To expand on the things I've voted for:
1. - There's no need to abandon the current lore, it's fundamentally fine. Just needs to be expanded upon.

2. - I'm torn between 1 and 2. Not really concerned for 3, personally. But I feel, whatever route we take; we need to allow more flexibility in realism/authenticity..ie. more interesting group ideas, characters in favour of being super tight knit realism.

3. - As cool as it would be to go far into the future, I feel that'd require a massive amount of lore work in the regards of what happened in the meantime. So, I'd say keep it around 2-3 years most. Would be cool to have some kind of community and staff contributions towards a lore about what'd happened in that time frame.

4. - I don't like it being no freedom for players, but I also want it to be expanded upon officially, to avoid character background conflictions and to keep the world alive.

5. - Nah. I'm all for making there be an aspect of a widespread / ongoing event. But not like, a stereotypical, linear goal.

Either way, all this is awesome. Thanks so much for making these changes! Especially happy that we're involving the community input here.

7 minutes ago, Sleepyhead said:

Does this mean we'll be seeing Lore Masters reintroduced? 

?

I think the Arma lore works well tbh but maybe a 10 year or so timeskip would be cool. That being said I don't think we should go super realistic with zombies and stuff 

48 minutes ago, Spartan said:

10-15 years is interesting, my character being pregnant her son would be 10-15 years of age which meanssss, someone can play as her son. It would make things so interesting IMO.

I think the lore is fine the way it is, changing it so there's a jump in time would be something I would love to see.

Edited by Puck

Starting the day after the outbreak would be so great, wipe all groups and pave the way for new ones.

Edited by JackZRP

I think there should be a massive wipe of everything. Start new. However im not sure if it will help with player base. There is still some base things that need changing.  For example. PK. Pk should be more frequent and that will allow closure to RP. SO there is an end, a death of a tyrant or maybe a death of a hero. Helps with rp, if nobody ever dies its just boring.

P.S I think Death by other player should be PK. No matter what. So that way if you initiate its a risk, and if you don't comply its a risk.

Edited by XDRP

Please not a lore wipe

Everything will go back to the same after like a month. Things are maybe gonna be diffrent for a month in the beggining then goes back to how it is right now. 

A wipe wont get people back if more people would probley leave

People are just gonna be tierd to lose all thier character development 

Lore wipes to a day after the outbreak are pointless. With my experience of it hardly any body actually roleplayed out being afraid. Within a few days you had the same people with the same military gear, all decked out because they want that gear oocly. You ask them why they carry it and it's literally "because i want to". There's no reasoning behind it. There's no difference in their RP.

Fast forwards a few years, yea i can get behind it. Feels more natural to have people with that gear, to have player factions that have taken over. Based on how the playerbase plays, the start of the apocalypse does not suit their preferred roleplay. Instead we should be looking to go to a time where they would fit into the lore, either that or people change. The only thing that stopped people from breaking a civilian character was the VDV who stripped civies of their weaponry. 

Difficulty is as well, lore factions are so easily stomped on by a play to win mindset that it's pointless having them come in to direct the lore and influence RP. So IMO it's useless going to the start of the infection.

I'll be honest. When I joined the community I knew two things about the lore CDF where good and CHDKZ where bad other than that it had no impact on my IG experience. Even today I know fk all about the lore except for some tiny fragments I've used for the CDF soldier I made.
A wipe like Boris stated wouldn't do anything with our current player base. Keep it simple and let the players fill in the void.
If we did one for 0.63 all characters should die and no dumb reincarnations like happened with the current lore should be allowed.

Edited by Eagle

This ones tough, a jump to the future would be great, things would be messy IC and the development of characters would be interesting to see! 

That last one is quite an interesting idea. On the other hand it would be interesting to see how that plays out and how different group dynamics would change with staff mandated goals etc. and id love to see what cool goals staff and the community would come up with but also it might be a complete disaster that makes the RP feel forced and kill the whole server.

I think a whole new lore that pulls away from the armaverse and kept to realism or believable science fiction would be interesting. I like @Roland's idea of pushing towards a lore along the lines of hunger games, the walking dead, etc  and think it would be creative and could allow for new, various different types of characters in new scenarios.

I am a realism whore. Just the whole making sense thing does wonders for my immersion. Just because never really sat well with me because there's always some guy out there that asks questions without answers.

The lore sucked. The player base did the best they could to work with it, despite knowing the problems that was presented, they worked with it. A shitty lore was handed out and groups like the UN, VDV and CDF busted ass by taking the reigns of a worn down horse fit for no more than glue and rode that sonofabitch like Sea Biscuit.

Let me take you back to a community meeting where an idea was presented, an idea that said make Chernarus a refugee hot spot, being the last place the infection would hit that way we have an answer for a 9 to 1 foreigner to natives ratio. It was simple, made a butt ton of sense and the community backed the hell out of it. Lore team went "Yeah no, we're not gonna do that... because we scribbled some shit down already and don't wanna go over it." effectively ignoring the people who'd be playing in the environment to begin with. It pissed a whole bunch of people off and the community was ignored... and like magic, we got a shit lore. 

For this reason I say yeah... redo it. Throw our hands up, admit we fucked up and strive to make it better. Focus on reasons for character diversity and backstory and you'll get a functional RP environment. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I am a realism whore. Just the whole making sense thing does wonders for my immersion. Just because never really sat well with me because there's always some guy out there that asks questions without answers.

The lore sucked. The player base did the best they could to work with it, despite knowing the problems that was presented, they worked with it. A shitty lore was handed out and groups like the UN, VDV and CDF busted ass by taking the reigns of a worn down horse fit for no more than glue and rode that sonofabitch like Sea Biscuit.

Let me take you back to a community meeting where an idea was presented, an idea that said make Chernarus a refugee hot spot, being the last place the infection would hit that way we have an answer for a 9 to 1 foreigner to natives ratio. It was simple, made a butt ton of sense and the community backed the hell out of it. Lore team went "Yeah no, we're not gonna do that... because we scribbled some shit down already and don't wanna go over it." effectively ignoring the people who'd be playing in the environment to begin with. It pissed a whole bunch of people off and the community was ignored... and like magic, we got a shit lore. 

For this reason I say yeah... redo it. Throw our hands up, admit we fucked up and strive to make it better. Focus on reasons for character diversity and backstory and you'll get a functional RP environment. 

And then made their own characters special in the lore that had to have some special purpose in it... really rubbed the community wrong. I remember your thread.

Can we have some love for a lore set in the early 90s? I'm talking the fall of the iron curtain + zombies. How can you not like that?

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Can we have some love for a lore set in the early 90s? I'm talking the fall of the iron curtain + zombies. How can you not like that?

Issue being that a fair few community members were born in the early 2000's.. I doubt they want to research before their time.

26 minutes ago, Aisling said:

And then made their own characters special in the lore that had to have some special purpose in it... really rubbed the community wrong. I remember your thread.

The Loremaster you're referring to was removed about a week after they tried to be the centre of the published lore, among other reasons.

Edited by Mexi

7 minutes ago, Mexi said:

The Loremaster you're referring to was removed about a week after they tried to be the centre of the published lore, among other reasons.

Yea I just hope there isnt a repeat and that there is something different this time around.  I'm hopeful.

Honestly the more recent a lore the better. While playing in the 'far future' would be interesting it most likely, from an RP standpoint, would just as quickly dissolve into people falling into groups without fear of whats actually going on around them.

A fresher lore, as in the infection just happening all around us, should, in theory (if not in practice, looking at you latest lore wipe) create a more panicked roleplay scenario where people are trying to figure out how to survive, what's going on, who they can trust, etcetera. This would most likely be best reinforced with some modding tools to allow the team to limit the amount of weaponry, food and medical supplies available to the players therefor increasing the sense of dread. Make people more hesitant when approaching others as they may have what little food they have remaining taken from them, or alternatively may push people into doing things like robbing others out of desperation.