Jump to content
Server time: 2018-09-26, 09:38

Roland

Discord

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I posted this in the last thread where people talked about swapping to discord

As much as I love discord, it has a lot of cons to it as well.

Cons:

  • No way to set channel admins in voice chat rooms
  • No way to set talk power
  • No way to remove people who come into group voice channels uninvited and keep it limited to only the one channel which makes more work for staff
  • Frequently crashes and is rather easy to crash if you are determined enough
  • @everyone and @here get abused like crazy on big servers
  • Bans are incredibly easy to get around and there is no way to see someones IP address on discord unlike teamspeak.
  • Mobile version is broken AF and has been for ages
  • Voip is garbage and always has been.

I ran a discord for another game server with a couple friends, at one point we had about 150-200ish people on it, and it was crazy trying to keep a eye on every channel, making sure people weren't breaking rules on it and dealing with those who did. We had a group of trolls come in spamming really nasty stuff in it and banned them, which discord claims is a IP ban. Well within 10 minutes they had new accounts and were right back on spamming the same crap until we finally just set it up so they had to have tags to speak. Discord is less secure, and far less stable than Teamspeak and all this is going to do is cause groups to just buy their own teamspeak servers and never use the discord.

Edited by Karma

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Jacques said:

Unresponsive? I'm genuinely confused by a lot of these statements. I'm not saying your opinion's invalid, but I actually have no idea what you're referring to.

Like right now, discord relies on google by the looks of it which is causing it to have issues. It also is quite irritating waiting for it to load up. I am speaking from a staff point of view not a members point of view btw 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Just so you know, Slack still works.

#BringBackStaffSlack

^

atm a lot of services are facing attacks, most of them are based around authentication, from what I've been seeing

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Hardwired said:

Like right now, discord relies on google by the looks of it which is causing it to have issues. It also is quite irritating waiting for it to load up. I am speaking from a staff point of view not a members point of view btw 😉 

I mean...yeah, it does. But it has less outages than our TS has. Also, not sure what potato you're using that you have to wait more than it takes to load up TS and connect to our server...but all that aside... wtf is that last sentence supposed to even mean??

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Karma said:

I posted this in the last thread where people talked about swapping to discord

As much as I love discord, it has a lot of cons to it as well.

Cons:

  • No way to set channel admins in voice chat rooms
  • No way to set talk power
  • No way to remove people who come into group voice channels uninvited and keep it limited to only the one channel which makes more work for staff
  • Frequently crashes and is rather easy to crash if you are determined enough
  • @everyone and @here get abused like crazy on big servers
  • Bans are incredibly easy to get around and there is no way to see someones IP address on discord unlike teamspeak.
  • Mobile version is broken AF and has been for ages
  • Why do we need channel admins for DayZRP purposes?
  • We never used talk power on TS AFAIK.
  • Permissions are based on group, thus channels available for a certain group will only allow people from that group to join. It will be automated.
  • Never crashed on me, must be your setup or hardware.
  • @Everyone and @here is disabled for normal users on our server
  • Bans are incredibly easy to get around on TS. On Discord at least there is a 10 minute cooldown and email verification required, instead of just simply switching your VPN to different location.
  • Haven't had any issues on mobile version, although I only use it for text, haven't tested voice since I expect any kind of VOIP application on mobile to be cancer in quality.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Roland said:
  • Why do we need channel admins for DayZRP purposes?
  • We never used talk power on TS AFAIK.
  • Permissions are based on group, thus channels available for a certain group will only allow people from that group to join. It will be automated.
  • Never crashed on me, must be your setup or hardware.
  • Everyone is disabled on our server
  • Bans are incredibly easy to get around on TS as well thanks to countless VPNs. On Discord at least there is a 10 minute cooldown and email verification required, instead of just simply switching your VPN to different location.
  • Haven't had any issues on mobile version, although I only use it for text, haven't tested voice since I expect any kind of VOIP application on mobile to be cancer in quality.

I mean, wouldn't you have to link your DayZRP account to rejoin anyway? With the whole verification system. Afterall, you can disable invites for all groups except staff and then just have the DayZRP account sync give you a one-time invite.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Roland said:
  • Why do we need channel admins for DayZRP purposes?
  • We never used talk power on TS AFAIK.
  • Permissions are based on group, thus channels available for a certain group will only allow people from that group to join. It will be automated.
  • Never crashed on me, must be your setup or hardware.
  • Everyone is disabled on our server
  • Bans are incredibly easy to get around on TS as well thanks to countless VPNs. On Discord at least there is a 10 minute cooldown and email verification required, instead of just simply switching your VPN to different location.
  • Haven't had any issues on mobile version, although I only use it for text, haven't tested voice since I expect any kind of VOIP application on mobile to be cancer in quality.

Channel admins for groups so we can pull people in if we need to talk IC

I use talk power in my channels alot for meetings as do others

Permissions being based on group means open comms cant really be a thing if only people from that group can join

Discord literally JUST went down for everyone, they have fairly frequent service outages

You don't even need a email to have a discord, only to verify it. Which isn't a requirement unless you set it up to be, I used discord for months without ever connecting a email to it. And even that is easy to get around there are plenty of throwaway email generators that can be used and discord does not check for them.

Mobile version may not be buggy for you but it gets lots of complaints from others because of its constant crashing, refusal to show messages and just general buggyness. And dont try the voip it really is just trash

2 minutes ago, Jacques said:

I mean, wouldn't you have to link your DayZRP account to rejoin anyway? With the whole verification system. Afterall, you can disable invites for all groups except staff and then just have the DayZRP account sync give you a one-time invite.

Actually if you have joined once you just need the link and you can rejoin. Which you can get by looking in your browser history and it will work until the invitation is disabled.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Karma said:

Actually if you have joined once you just need the link and you can rejoin. Which you can get by looking in your browser history and it will work until the invitation is disabled.

Even if it's set to be a one-use invite..? Because that's never worked for me.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Karma said:
  1. No way to set channel admins in voice chat rooms
  2. No way to set talk power
  3. No way to remove people who come into group voice channels uninvited and keep it limited to only the one channel which makes more work for staff
  4. Frequently crashes and is rather easy to crash if you are determined enough
  5. @everyone and @here get abused like crazy on big servers
  6. Bans are incredibly easy to get around and there is no way to see someones IP address on discord unlike teamspeak.
  7. Mobile version is broken AF and has been for ages
  8. Voip is garbage and always has been.
  1. implementable, soontm
  2. no reason for that, i dont see why you'd need to pass around the talking stick, just ask people to not talk at the same time
  3. report that to us, and we can handle it. more work, yes, but doable. also implementable, you'd make a bot that allows you to "kick" players (move them to lobby)
  4. urite
  5. the permission to use those has been removed
  6. if you circumvent a discord ban, you'll likely be met with a forum ban. not to mention you cannot talk nor join any channels outside of staff help without syncing your discord through account settings, which you cannot do as a banned player. there was a banned player in TS who got around it, hasnt happened in discord yet.
  7. then dont use it, discord mobile works fine for me but TS mobile was a shitshow
  8. it's the same as TS? they both use Opus

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Even if it's set to be a one-use invite..? Because that's never worked for me.

yep just checked

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Karma said:

Channel admins for groups so we can pull people in if we need to talk IC

 I use talk power in my channels alot for meetings as do others

 Permissions being based on group means open comms cant really be a thing if only people from that group can join

 Discord literally JUST went down for everyone, they have fairly frequent service outages

You don't even need a email to have a discord, only to verify it. Which isn't a requirement unless you set it up to be, I used discord for months without ever connecting a email to it. And even that is easy to get around there are plenty of throwaway email generators that can be used and discord does not check for them.

 Mobile version may not be buggy for you but it gets lots of complaints from others because of its constant crashing, refusal to show messages and just general buggyness. And dont try the voip it really is just trash

Actually if you have joined once you just need the link and you can rejoin. Which you can get by looking in your browser history and it will work until the invitation is disabled.

Fair enough, I guess we will have to give up that ability and simply ask someone to join the channel if you want to talk with them.

That also fair, it would be difficult to hold a meeting on Discord if it were to be moderated.

TS is offline far more often than Discord though, it can and has been fairly easily DDoSed.

Our server requires Discord account with confirmed email, a verified DayZRP account and at least 10 minutes membership on the server before being able to do anything. I wouldn't compare our Discord setup to the public ones that you have your experience from.

You can accept the invitation that is publicly available, but you can't do anything unless our bot gives you a role, which it will only do if you register on the website.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Jacques said:

I mean...yeah, it does. But it has less outages than our TS has. Also, not sure what potato you're using that you have to wait more than it takes to load up TS and connect to our server...but all that aside... wtf is that last sentence supposed to even mean??

Discord runs in the background unless you change the settings which just eats up ram without you knowing. When you open it there is just a Sims rip off loading screen which feels like forever whereas TS is instant for me.

Share this post


Link to post

Discord is a huge botnet.

TeamSpeak is our lord and savior.

Share this post


Link to post

sfdgsgdgssgf.png.3cf352d9d924f5c9f801d3ec5321ac5f.png

272MB isnt a lot when you've got 8000MB of RAM. It's more than a lot of apps but it's still not a lot in the grand scheme of things. Even 272/4000 is still not that bad. You can also send it to the system tray while gaming and it stops trying to render a screen and just focuses on transmitting voice data (approx. 90MB less usage when in the tray).

dont flame my hard drive ok i want an SSD

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Whitename said:

sfdgsgdgssgf.png.3cf352d9d924f5c9f801d3ec5321ac5f.png

272MB isnt a lot when you've got 8000MB of RAM. It's more than a lot of apps but it's still not a lot in the grand scheme of things. Even 272/4000 is still not that bad. You can also send it to the system tray while gaming and it stops trying to render a screen and just focuses on transmitting voice data (approx. 90MB less usage when in the tray).

dont flame my hard drive ok i want an SSD

idk know about others, but I've got 16 GB of ram, and discord eats up a lot of ram. DayZ, eats up a absolute fuckload of ram. And if you were to be someone like @Roach who streams DayZ, and uses Teamspeak/Discord sometimes. That, will eat a massive amount of RAM. Teamspeak also allows for the easy use of plugins, like the one that makes everyone sound like its a radio. All in all I like Teamspeak a lot better, but I would feel much better about it if we had a system to allow for private channels.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Hardwired said:

Discord runs in the background unless you change the settings which just eats up ram without you knowing. When you open it there is just a Sims rip off loading screen which feels like forever whereas TS is instant for me.

I wouldn't say eats up ram because it's always in the low 200's for me so unless you have 4 GB of ram your good. You can turn off all the gaming features as well.
But even then I still like TS allot more on discord it feels like your being watched 24/7 pretty sure staff can see every post in any channel your in and the whole general box thing is just more of the less the forum box we had in the past causing quite a few members to get points.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I wouldn't say eats up ram because it's always in the low 200's for me so unless you have 4 GB of ram your good. You can turn off all the gaming features as well.
But even then I still like TS allot more on discord it feels like your being watched 24/7 pretty sure staff can see every post in any channel your in and the whole general box thing is just more of the less the forum box we had in the past causing quite a few members to get points.

I have 16gb of ram so its fine for me, however, I still dislike other programs running unless I am not using them which is why discord is a nuisance and tells everyone your business tbh.

My PC is already breaking down as it is so it does not help.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Whitename said:
  1. implementable, soontm
  2. no reason for that, i dont see why you'd need to pass around the talking stick, just ask people to not talk at the same time
  3. report that to us, and we can handle it. more work, yes, but doable. also implementable, you'd make a bot that allows you to "kick" players (move them to lobby)
  4. urite
  5. the permission to use those has been removed
  6. if you circumvent a discord ban, you'll likely be met with a forum ban. not to mention you cannot talk nor join any channels outside of staff help without syncing your discord through account settings, which you cannot do as a banned player. there was a banned player in TS who got around it, hasnt happened in discord yet.
  7. then dont use it
  8. it's the same as TS? they both use Opus

VOIP is definitely not the same as TS thats a fact 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Roach
Posted (edited)

I am ready to bet that once TS on dayzrp would get removed, we'd have about 50 new private TS servers (cause they are cheap for low slots) and that my friends, well, there will be no way to monitor anything anymore. And I stand firm on the belief that servers on discord for voip sucks 10 fold on discord -massive lags, continuous disconnections, bad quality somehow ect.  (I have been using it for a year now). 

Edited by Roach

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Shane Is Dead said:

VOIP is definitely not the same as TS thats a fact 

Shane stop, we know you want to hear Tom with a voice codac of 10 but chill, it's not any worse than TS

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ExoticRainbow said:

Shane stop, we know you want to hear Tom with a voice codac of 10 but chill, it's not any worse than TS

Its way worse than ts cuts out and lags all the time

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Shane Is Dead said:

Its way worse than ts cuts out and lags all the time

It doesn't though

Share this post


Link to post

Not overly a massive fan of Discord as I find voip always cuts in and out for me. I've been using a friend's Teamspeak server for a while now anyway so I guess for those of us who can we will probably just stick to using different  Teamspeak servers. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Stradic said:

Not overly a massive fan of Discord as I find voip always cuts in and out for me. I've been using a friend's Teamspeak server for a while now anyway so I guess for those of us who can we will probably just stick to using different  Teamspeak servers. 

I find that's more of an issue if you use the voice activation rather than PTT. Hopefully it's not like the rest of the internet and hates Australia.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×