Server time: 2018-10-16, 21:49

Roland

Discord

We have an official Discord server (again). It has been integrated into the community on a basic level, you can go to your account settings and sync your Discord account there in order to receive your Premium rank on the Discord server. You can see online count on the home page.

My preliminary plan is to gradually phase off TeamSpeak and by the end of the year migrate completely to Discord and shut down the TeamSpeak server.

The reasons for this are several, but it's mostly due to modernization of the software and tools that we use in the community which started with the website migration to a new system in 2016, now comes Discord and we will very soon get a new whitelist system (details about it will be posted soon). Discord is modern, intuitive, easy to use even from browser, extendable and free, while TS is now a decade old and aging rapidly, susceptible to DDoS and not really an attractive looking program, especially to new players who have never used it before, to them it looks like a WinXP application.

Anyways I hope try to replace most of the functionality of TS to best of my and Discords ability, however it is already clear that not all features will be able to be ported over. When it comes to Premium perks, some of them will be replaced with new ones that are possible only on Discord, details about which ones will come later, as we progress through the switch. Different TS services will be moved over gradually, first we need to create a new practical tree of channels on Discord for general use, then the helpdesk will be moved over, then general community and gaming channels, and at the very end the group and private channels.

So I don't know if it will work out, but that's what I'm working towards right now, along with the new whitelist. I just thought you'd like to know what's going on and why we suddenly have a Discord again.

Or in clearer words, its free.

Was waiting for this, can't wait to see how this works out

kinda allows for a more synchronous communication bw community and staff. will be good. pros and cons to everything, so we shall see

How will this work with channels ect for people who own groups. And will group owners be able to kick people from channels like they can in ts also setting passwords for channels ect? 

Just now, Tomu said:

How will this work with channels ect for people who own groups. And will group owners be able to kick people from channels like they can in ts also setting passwords for channels ect? 

Channel passwords don't exist on Discord, everything is handled with per-group permissions

I am a huge discord nerd but what about us making our own private channels for talking etc? As far as I know it doesnt allow for it yet.

Posted (edited)

Discord is really shit compared to TS but if this is what your choosing then o well, hello discord.

Edited by Eagle

Just now, Whitename said:

Channel passwords don't exist on Discord, everything is handled with per-group permissions

so i presume it will be handled with a module through the ts with attachment with group cp and a bot with something like !claimrolls or auto applying roles. and how will that work with group ideas?

Just now, Tomu said:

so i presume it will be handled with a module through the ts with attachment with group cp and a bot with something like !claimrolls or auto applying roles. and how will that work with group ideas?

No clue. As Roland said some features will be unimplementable, and will be replaced with other features. Groups will still have group comms once a practical solution comes up

8 minutes ago, Genji said:

I am a huge discord nerd but what about us making our own private channels for talking etc? As far as I know it doesnt allow for it yet.

Posted (edited)

I literally hate discord... Well time to hang out on other TS 😄

I actually really hoped that it was a joke...

Edited by Lyca

Never really got into Discord. Thank god for private backup-server (paid by other people 😉 )

Oh yay, time to change my password everytime I log in because discord literally thinks I'm hacking my own account 😡 yay

Ts is better discord is shit

Change, ew...

Having used both for a good while now I still prefer TS over discord. 

Oh dear, I was hoping it was a joke also dear @Lyca, TS is much neater and organised in my opinion.

FINALLY

Discord is lit I've always agreed with this Rolle.

Discord's VOIP system is wildly different compared to TS3, in TS3 you can at least configure voice quality in each channel whereas in Discord you can't. I disagree with this tbh.

Discord's pretty lit, TS is cool too, as long as there's no negative quality of life changes from the migration I'll be happy.

Not a fan of discord simply because its voice chat is shit compared to TS, and the fact that it's an absolute RAM whore.

Posted (edited)

Discord is so awesome that I literally have to uninstall / reinstall it every single time I want to connect to voice on it anywhere with anyone at all; otherwise it will not recognize my $200 Razer mic which functions perfectly on everything else. I fully appreciate and understand the progression aspect of this decision but... I still believe TS3 to be a far superior platform for larger scale numbered voice coms. Discord is excellent for small groups / text chat / PM's, but I feel it will be a very long time before it is ever on the same level of functioning user friendly convenience as TS3 is and has been for so many years. 

Sad Buddy is deeply saddened.. 😔

EDIT:// @Roland How will staff be monitoring behavior / conduct which takes place on the discord itself? That opens a whole new can of worms if you ask me and makes for a more difficult job for the staff as it is one more massive thing to maintain as I sit here being playfully inappropriate in the general text chat

Edited by Buddy
Question

Ts is way better than discord in so many ways. I don't like this change at all.

Question: With purchasing the ranks of Hall of Famer and Tycoon do come TS-privileges like making temporary channels - Will there be equal bonuses for the owners of those ranks for Discord? @Roland