Server time: 2019-03-26, 19:19 WE ARE RECRUITING
Voodoo

Rule mode question

How can i tell who is playing in hostile and hardcore mode (orange and red) when in game so that i can initiate on them without previous history?

Server status, it was posted in the original thread.

Pulse check them, then tab out and look for his name on the server status.

Edited by Eagle

Seems abit wrong to tab out and use a third party application to find out about a character and use that information to dictate the actions performed in game. Reminds me of when the player list was abused to find out what groups were on and use that to get into easy firefights and win due to numbers.

seems like a stupid feature but oh well i guess breaking immersion is now needed. Thanks guys 

15 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Pulse check them, then tab out and look for his name on the server status.

That's metagaming... Since when is that allowed?

15 minutes ago, Rory said:

21 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

While the pair of you were on your break there were quite a few threads that went up attempting to revert back to the old rule set, none of them went through.

This however is a compromise so those who choose to can partake in any hostile RP they want, metagame or not it's a compromise. It's not really that much of a big deal, as I put on Rory's update.

Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill when this is actually a push in the right direction for a change.

I think you're over exaggerating just a tad, it's not really a big issue with the green/ orange/ red names. If anything it allows people to RP the way it was previously with certain individuals.. Even then, with green people you're able to be hostile but it has to make sense as to why with RP.

It's really not that bad of a thing, if anything it's a step in the right direction from what we had before.. And it's working as intended.

Edited by Mexi

The intention of the system is to make it easier to see who is more open to hostilities than others. You aren't tracking their numbers, location or anything like that but more just if you can be hostile without previous history. ?

its dumb but we'll never get the good old rules that make sense back so we just have to deal with it I guess

33 minutes ago, Rory said:

That's metagaming... Since when is that allowed?

This was made so people can choose to be hostile or not and when they can be involved in such activities.

To answer the question read up on it here.

It's probably too late but what about making it so people who are in hostile mode simply wear a certain colored armband so they can be identified from distance without tabbing out? Since you don't need to get close to them to initiate anyways.

Just a thought.

40 minutes ago, Kicker said:

It's probably too late but what about making it so people who are in hostile mode simply wear a certain colored armband so they can be identified from distance without tabbing out? Since you don't need to get close to them to initiate anyways.

Just a thought.

Armbands should be used as an optional group identifier not as a forum based tool. The forums should be completly seperate from IC server related situations, they should only mix when it comes to reports.

However it does seem like the longer this place goes on the more the forums dictate the way the game is played, which is a real shame as it was always fun jumping on the server and not knowing what would go on and have that risk vs reward experience.

If this is a problem for your morale code you can always just treat everyone as if they were in green mode. When someone is open to hostilities, it doesn't automatically mean you have to initiate on them *shrugs.* Just treat all players like you would before the rules change and there will be no problem. 

3 hours ago, Mexi said:

Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill when this is actually a push in the right direction for a change.

I dont plan on making a mountain, my undertanding of things are, if its not broke then dont fix it.

If i meet someone in normal mode i can still rob them providing i have a reason, best reason would be, im surviving in a apocolypse, you have ammo, a weapon that fires more shots and food that would satisfy my hunger. So ill be taking it.

If i meet someone in hostile mode i can rob them simply by telling them to drop their shit and not providing a reason as to why because they chose to accept this rp.

If i meet someone on hardcore i can do as i would to those accepting hostile rp above but add on that im accepting hostile mode and im a phycho that loves cutting people up (as hardcore allows this) meaning i can look to become the serial killer of dayzrp characters due to permadeath being apart of the mode.

34 minutes ago, pijkaCZ said:

If this is a problem for your morale code you can always just treat everyone as if they were in green mode.

This then just defeats the whole purpose of having this new system in place.

i just dont fully understand why we need to over complicated things (in the form of putting people in sections) and make it a house of cards when we could have just simply left things as they once were. 

At the end of the day this is an open world survival game, survival being the key word. First rule of dayzrp was to never get attached to gear as you were very likely to lose it at somepoint through robbery or death. In order to survive the act of robbery could be a useful tool to your disposal in order to gain items that will benefit your own survival. Taking this into account its clear that this could be deemed a decent reason as to a robbery and the risk for the hostile party is the possibility of death by victim or death by not recieving what you believed would help you.

30 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

...i just dont fully understand why we need to over complicated things...

It doesn't make things ''complicated'' it adds options. Noone forces you to take part in this new system, you can always just play by the default rules and there will be no harm. But saying, that it is confusing, just because you're too lazy to open up a tab in your Steam Browser is arbitrary and serves no purpose. 

37 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

In order to survive the act of robbery could be a useful tool to your disposal in order to gain items that will benefit your own survival. Taking this into account its clear that this could be deemed a decent reason as to a robbery and the risk for the hostile party is the possibility of death by victim or death by not recieving what you believed would help you.

In order to survive, shooting people on sight could be deemed as adequate too. If that is really what you want, there are public servers still running. The way I see it, this community's purpose is to have fun and make money to pay off Rolle's debt, not to 100% accurately simulate an Apocalypse. 

20 minutes ago, pijkaCZ said:

It doesn't make things ''complicated'' it adds options. Noone forces you to take part in this new system, you can always just play by the default rules and there will be no harm. But saying, that it is confusing, just because you're too lazy to open up a tab in your Steam Browser is arbitrary and serves no purpose. 

In order to survive, shooting people on sight could be deemed as adequate too. If that is really what you want, there are public servers still running. The way I see it, this community's purpose is to have fun and make money to pay off Rolle's debt, not to 100% accurately simulate an Apocalypse. 

i thought the purpose of this community was to have fun and roleplay...not to pay off anyone's debt.  perhaps they should add that bit to the homepage. DayzRP, a place to pay off Rolles debt.

12 minutes ago, SweetJoe said:

i thought the purpose of this community was to have fun and roleplay...not to pay off anyone's debt.  perhaps they should add that bit to the homepage. DayzRP, a place to pay off Rolles debt.

If this place wasn't planned for making money as well, then it wouldn't charge money to have a gif as an avatar and music to your profile. It's obvious and in the meantime it's also here to provide us with a place to roleplay in a relatively peaceful way. 

Edited by Shazzzam

54 minutes ago, SweetJoe said:

Yes, just like Microsoft creates their operating system to allow the world to easily handle PCs and Steam is a platform to allow gamers to easily get access to games. Not to turn profit, no no, that would be unethical. What world are you living in? 

57 minutes ago, Shazzzam said:

If this place wasn't planned for making money as well, then it wouldn't charge money to have a gif as an avatar and music to your profile. It's obvious and in the meantime it's also here to provide us with a place to roleplay in a relatively peaceful way. 

A very lack luster statement. Its a business as registered. Please don't assume everything is all pink and fluffy, its here to make money because if it was a "Lets all have fun." kinda deal @Roland would have to pay out of his own pocket (Which is 600 euros per month as he has stated in another post.) rather than make money off of something he personally works on in his spare time out of work.

1 hour ago, pijkaCZ said:

But saying, that it is confusing, just because you're too lazy to open up a tab in your Steam Browser is arbitrary and serves no purpose. 

I dont appreciate being called lazy, fact is id never open a tab on steam to look at server lists because this would be METAGAMING. What next? Its alright to use that server list to know how many of a certain group are on in order to confirm killing every member in a firefight or if they only have a certain amount on that its worth initiating because they cant fight back?

Its not confusing its just a pointless feature (like a few others in the past) that does nothing to help the community in anyway. The servers were fine with rules being simplified in order to keep things streamlined, features like this only lead to more questions being asked (as can be seen on the forums with discussions on how this affects groups).

1 hour ago, pijkaCZ said:

The way I see it, this community's purpose is to have fun and make money to pay off Rolle's debt, not to 100% accurately simulate an Apocalypse. 

The community was built to have fun yes that is true, its also true that it is meant to be a get away from the real world and be as immersive as it can at being a survival zombie game.

As for making money to pay rolles debt, that was never the goal of this community. Any money made was a donation to keep things running such as server upkeep. Its a tragic outcome what happened in the end which doesnt need to be plastered everywhere but the fact that some community members believe this community is soley here now to pay money to the debt is really upsetting to see. This used to be a place to relax and enjoy a game and if you could, put some money on the table as a thank you rather than push it like EA does to an online game.

Roleplay and fun > money

Give a good experience/product and the money will come, basics of running a business. Im 28 years old with 10 years worth of wages saved up and i could have easily been the guy providing a percentage of the €600 per month (which is apparently the amount as put in a reply above) but in terms of this now as a business and replys and treatment i (and other members) have recieved in the past what would be the pros?

2 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

€600 per month

Nah 600 euros per 6 months roughly.

1 hour ago, Pain said:

A very lack luster statement. Its a business as registered. Please don't assume everything is all pink and fluffy, its here to make money because if it was a "Lets all have fun." kinda deal @Roland would have to pay out of his own pocket (Which is 600 euros per month as he has stated in another post.) rather than make money off of something he personally works on in his spare time out of work.

But I'm not saying it's here to entirely make money, nor is it here just for fun. It's a balanced version of both things. It's supposed to support itself, instead of Roland pulling the money out of his own pocket. In the mean time we use it what it's intended for. Other than that, @Roland can correct us if we are wrong if he feels like we deserve the answer.

47 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

I dont appreciate being called lazy, fact is id never open a tab on steam to look at server lists because this would be METAGAMING. What next? Its alright to use that server list to know how many of a certain group are on in order to confirm killing every member in a firefight or if they only have a certain amount on that its worth initiating because they cant fight back?

Its not confusing its just a pointless feature (like a few others in the past) that does nothing to help the community in anyway. The servers were fine with rules being simplified in order to keep things streamlined, features like this only lead to more questions being asked (as can be seen on the forums with discussions on how this affects groups).

The community was built to have fun yes that is true, its also true that it is meant to be a get away from the real world and be as immersive as it can at being a survival zombie game.

As for making money to pay rolles debt, that was never the goal of this community. Any money made was a donation to keep things running such as server upkeep. Its a tragic outcome what happened in the end which doesnt need to be plastered everywhere but the fact that some community members believe this community is soley here now to pay money to the debt is really upsetting to see. This used to be a place to relax and enjoy a game and if you could, put some money on the table as a thank you rather than push it like EA does to an online game.

Roleplay and fun > money

Give a good experience/product and the money will come, basics of running a business. Im 28 years old with 10 years worth of wages saved up and i could have easily been the guy providing a percentage of the €600 per month (which is apparently the amount as put in a reply above) but in terms of this now as a business and replys and treatment i (and other members) have recieved in the past what would be the pros?

It's a compromise and a step in the right direction. Who knows, maybe eventually we will get back to the old rule about it, but for now, you'll have to settle with this. The reason this was created was for Quality of Life, as Rolle stated multiple times. This whole system is not a rule, it just replaces you having to ask OOCly if you can initiate without reason. People always say the whole gun statement, but that never builds any kind of roleplay? I never personally saw when I got initiated on before for my vest and then five minutes later saying I'm free to go as good RP. People are also missing the mistake that you cannot be hostile to someone with green settings immediately. Of course you can? Think of it this way. @Shazzzam plays a Russian character in the RNU that supports the Russian government. I play a Russian character in the IRR that is in a war with the Russian government. While that doesn't give me a reason to initiate on the spot, if I find him, we could start yelling or arguing and then I point a weapon at him. As we all know, conflict is caused by simple disagreement. Again, this is a step in the right direction so you are at least ALLOWED to initiate without any reason.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Yes, just like Microsoft creates their operating system to allow the world to easily handle PCs and Steam is a platform to allow gamers to easily get access to games. Not to turn profit, no no, that would be unethical. What world are you living in? 

Rolle, im a capitalist, and as of such of course your purpose is to make money, to expect that to be our purpose as customers...makes me laugh. you aiight roll.