Server time (UTC): 2019-12-11, 04:37 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Wolffe

"Everything's Boring"

I recently got into the server again, and noticed people going straight to Lopatino to find RP and all that juicy stuff, but when I got there, everything I get is people just sitting, not talking at all, and some random ass meme-ing from time to time. Not to mention the randos shooting their guns a few hundred meters off the city, which makes everyone panic for at most 10 seconds, and then return to normal stance.

So uhhhhhhh... what are you gonna do? Y'all find it boring to stay around looking at each other, yelling "I WANT TO TRADE THIS" or just simply scavenging for better gear that isn't really gonna solve the "boring" issue. That's what you find useful for the ending of this problem?

I've read in some thread that everything people do in Lopatino is sit around and sing kumbaya, but I haven't even seen that. Of course, everything I'm going to say doesn't apply to everyone, but it sure as hell applies to a load of people:

I tried to talk with some of the people in the city (There was about 8 players there), and he was very nice. We talked a little, got a small trade going, I hinted on the recent attack to the settlement and he talked with me about it. Nice stuff. Then I moved to the center of town, where pretty much total silence was to be found. I tried talking to two guys who were standing there, and they didn't even respond. One person was 'trying' to RP, but most of the conversations ended with him saying "Yeah...".

The "Oh, what's your name?""What you doing today?", and all that cheesiness of the good old Campfire RP are just missing. You can't head into a trading post, where people trade and talk, and not expect to Campfire RP. That's why it's fucking boring, because people don't talk. There are multiple reasons for that: Paying too much attention to TS3, not giving a fuck about other people's stories, being a jackass in general, etc... So we can't just fix it. But I'd guess people can at least try to, well, you know, role-play every now and then, instead of sitting on a random corner and screaming "IT'S SO BORING OUT HERE" every ten god damn seconds.

If you're too immersed on your TS3 conversation, just mute it or leave the game, because your character standing there, static, staring into the abyss, isn't adding to the general role-play.

If you're so egocentric to the point that you only care about your own character development, then you shouldn't be playing RP after all. Other people's stories matter. You're not the main character of DayZRP's Lore, and there's a big chance you'll never be, so step down a little and start treating others like actual characters, not just NPCs.

And if you're a jackass, just stop it.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if you like or dislike what this essay of mine had to say, but the behavior I've seen is truly saddening. There's no point in criticizing the server for being boring if everything you do all day is loot, complain and shitpost. If you're not looking for a solution, or suggesting a way to make things better, you don't have the right to talk shit about the community or the server. That's not how criticism and feedback works.

Pretty much that, folks. I would suggest that large groups staged more player-made events, more hostile-ish groups would be made, and new takes on the aspect of a group would be tried (Such as scrappers, mad-max style), but it seems that everything that I suggest just goes unnoticed, so I'll leave it to the big and colored names.

Have a good one! ?

Edited by Rogério SkyLab

I mean.. you got in game for what... one day? 

I can't say you're wrong, but you aren't right either.

Go elsewhere to RP if Lopatino isn't working. There's a neato little camp in Vavilovo you could try.

Yeah, servers dead tonight population wise.  Teamspeak as well.

Heres me wishing you well Rogerio.

If you've only just returned and you're judging one night of RP (not sure how long you were in RP for) and you've not even got on during peak time surely you've invalidated your own statement and thread based off of this:

Honestly, I couldn't care less if you like or dislike what this essay of mine had to say, but the behavior I've seen is truly saddening. There's no point in criticizing the server for being boring if everything you do all day is loot, complain and shitpost. If you're not looking for a solution, or suggesting a way to make things better, you don't have the right to talk shit about the community or the server. That's not how criticism and feedback works.

In my opinion not only are you wrong but from the quote above I personally believe that if you've only just returned and you're calling 'everything' boring just based off of one night you also don't have the right to talk shit about the state of the server or the community..

What I'd suggest is attempting to find time to get on earlier than whatever time you've been getting on, Lopotino has been active as fuck as has the rest of the north with a drop of southern RP. Just because you went to a hotspot in offpeak hours doesn't mean that 'everythings boring'.

Edited by Mexi

Everyone complained. So people changed the RP. This is a product of the community's own doing. Hostile RP is what spices up the server but a lot of people were scared into not doing it for fear of retaliation. Why don't you try to do something interesting for the server? When I said everyone sits around singing kumbaya this is what I meant. 

25 minutes ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

I recently got into the server again, and noticed people going straight to Lopatino to find RP and all that juicy stuff, but when I got there, everything I get is people just sitting, not talking at all, and some random ass meme-ing from time to time. Not to mention the randos shooting their guns a few hundred meters off the city, which makes everyone panic for at most 10 seconds, and then return to normal stance.

So uhhhhhhh... what are you gonna do? Y'all find it boring to stay around looking at each other, yelling "I WANT TO TRADE THIS" or just simply scavenging for better gear that isn't really gonna solve the "boring" issue. That's what you find useful for the ending of this problem?

I've read in some thread that everything people do in Lopatino is sit around and sing kumbaya, but I haven't even seen that. Of course, everything I'm going to say doesn't apply to everyone, but it sure as hell applies to a load of people:

I tried to talk with some of the people in the city (There was about 8 players there), and he was very nice. We talked a little, got a small trade going, I hinted on the recent attack to the settlement and he talked with me about it. Nice stuff. Then I moved to the center of town, where pretty much total silence was to be found. I tried talking to two guys who were standing there, and they didn't even respond. One person was 'trying' to RP, but most of the conversations ended with him saying "Yeah...".

The "Oh, what's your name?""What you doing today?", and all that cheesiness of the good old Campfire RP are just missing. You can't head into a trading post, where people trade and talk, and not expect to Campfire RP. That's why it's fucking boring, because people don't talk. There are multiple reasons for that: Paying too much attention to TS3, not giving a fuck about other people's stories, being a jackass in general, etc... So we can't just fix it. But I'd guess people can at least try to, well, you know, role-play every now and then, instead of sitting on a random corner and screaming "IT'S SO BORING OUT HERE" every ten god damn seconds.

If you're too immersed on your TS3 conversation, just mute it or leave the game, because your character standing there, static, staring into the abyss, isn't adding to the general role-play.

If you're so egocentric to the point that you only care about your own character development, then you shouldn't be playing RP after all. Other people's stories matter. You're not the main character of DayZRP's Lore, and there's a big chance you'll never be, so step down a little and start treating others like actual characters, not just NPCs.

Pretty much that, folks. I would suggest that large groups staged more player-made events, more hostile-ish groups would be made, and new takes on the aspect of a group would be tried (Such as scrappers, mad-max style), but it seems that everything that I suggest just goes unnoticed, so I'll leave it to the big and colored names.

Have a good one! ?

I hear ya man, was the same when I jumped in game, and even previously before my last time played. I just can't pin what's happened to the RP, its a lot of different factors..

Campfire RP is tragically bad,  and you hit a point there about people on teamspeak. Its some sort of ego problem. I mean jesus it use to be SO GOOD, any randomer you pumped into there was such a degree of uncertainty, you didn't know what they had planned (even if not hostile just in general), you had to approach people with care whether they were a bandit or not.

When I played on the server last time people were like  "Oh hey," and just from the tone in their voice you knew there was no uncertainty, everybody knows how it'll play out from the get go, I hope that kind of makes sense..I think the rules are to blame. I'm sick of going on about it at this point though.

I hate saying things like this because I know its a dig at everyone who does play currently, but jesus guys you don't understand how the server played whenever if you didn't watch your back you'd get fucked, so I blame all the rules, pretty much powergaming at this point. The stranger your about to talk to can only act within strict rules, so that leaves you with a bland, boring outcome nearly every single fucking time. The people that sit around these campfires are reeping the spoils of constant reporting and whining

Just to clear things up, I gave it a good shot, met plenty of strangers roaming about, even found an RP reason to go to those "campfire RP" places..

Edited by Jerry

26 minutes ago, Taryn said:

I mean.. you got in game for what... one day? 

I can't say you're wrong, but you aren't right either.

I did get in game for few hours, but out of the time I spent looking for people, I only met these players. Seemed like the other ones I found on the road weren't keen on having a conversation, so they just kept running leaving me unanswered.

And as stated, I'm not saying everyone's suffering from this, nor am I saying that everyone's causing this, but everyone can help to solve. That's the main point of the thread.

24 minutes ago, SweetJoe said:

Yeah, servers dead tonight population wise.  Teamspeak as well.

I did play earlier, and didn't get much as well. I'll check back in this weekend and see if this is still running. If not, I'll admit my mistake, but the message is still right. As I said to Taryn, the point of that wall of text is for the people to help solve this problem

18 minutes ago, Mexi said:

In my opinion not only are you wrong but from the quote above I personally believe that if you've only just returned and you're calling 'everything' boring just based off of one night you also don't have the right to talk shit about the state of the server or the community..

What I'd suggest is attempting to find time to get on earlier than whatever time you've been getting on, Lopotino has been active as fuck as has the rest of the north with the drop of southern RP. Just because you went to a hotspot in offpeak hours doesn't mean that 'everythings boring'.

I wasn't the one calling everything boring. Guess I should add quote marks on the title for this confusion not to happen again. And I'm pretty sure I had plenty of people in the city to make this analysis. Once again, I haven't and won't assume that every single time of the day is like this, but this serves as a call-out for people to help bump things up when it is.

14 minutes ago, Zero said:

Everyone complained. So people changed the RP. This is a product of the community's own doing. Hostile RP is what spices up the server but a lot of people were scared into not doing it for fear of retaliation. Why don't you try to do something interesting for the server? When I said everyone sits around singing kumbaya this is what I meant. 

Back few months ago, I was complaining about the massive scale of hostile rp, and how ridiculous it was for people not in groups to enjoy role-playing, since everyone was just running away from the bad guys in the most secluded places of all, but I never asked for the server to have what? One group that is actively hostile to players? I loved when we had the entire ZBOR vs Chedaki cheese going on before-wipe, alongside the Masquerade doing their stuff aswell. Problem isn't the amount of hostile rp, but the quality of it. However, that was the main problem after the wipe, so there is some meaning behind the entire "lack of hostilities" after all.

Back then (Before-wipe) I did invest a lot of time on a group to oppose the entire "banditry" stuff, but it never got 'up there' due to the lack of support from other members. I've done my part by being part of the UN aswell, for a long time. When I got my new PC I also made a 'bad-guy' character, something I had not done after we switched to Standalone for a long time, but I can't really fight with this other computer I'm using, so what's the point of being hostile if I can't join firefights at all? I know there are multiple types of ways to role-play with a hostile behavior, but when I tried it, nobody seemed to give a damn. Why would they now, when we have even less support?

Also, let's not forget this is not a hate thread gentleman. I'm not shit-talking others, nor am I saying that the community is bad in any way. I'm hinting out ways to help with this stagnant role-play, in the hopes you can help me develop the idea. I can't do miracles, nor do I have 24 hours to play the game like some people seem to have, but I'm giving my thoughts the way I can in order to try and move from this bad stage we are right now with role-playing overall. I'm also not standing tall with pride saying "I'm always right". No. I'm open to ideas, and I might be wrong about a lot of things, but nobody can deny that this is happening as we speak, and it will continue happening, even if at small scale, after this thread is done for.

It rests upon us to try and help it or not.

Edited by Rogério SkyLab

5 minutes ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

-snip-

I'm not saying you are wrong by any means. We've banned a lot of good role-players over some rather minor things and this is the result of doing so.

7 minutes ago, Zero said:

I'm not saying you are wrong by any means. We've banned a lot of good role-players over some rather minor things and this is the result of doing so.

He ain't wrong. When majority of the OGs are wiped out and many of the newer players aren't experienced enough to RP, we get the kind of stuff we have now. 

I imagine right now people are trying out .63, we can only hope things will kick off again when it rolls onto stable 

45 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Only gonna get worse and worse

Yeah- time and time again have we sent up suggestions to ease up the server rules, or change certain things so RP doesn't feel so constricting. But after almost 3 months of us bitching, the best thing we got were the color-coded names. So now I have to run up to someone, check their pulse, tab out, see if they are a green/orange/red, and from there i decide how I want to RP with them.

Think about it like work -- you have good days, bad days, busy days, and stagnant days. 

1 hour ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

I did get in game for few hours, but out of the time I spent looking for people, I only met these players

A few hours isn't enough to get a fantastic RP experience to rave about, generally speaking. I'll admit I've had more boring experiences than not as of late, but that's not to say your experience and mine are universal, nor does it reflect on the server overall. I'll also admit I had a similar experience in Lopatino, but it was just bad timing. You can't expect shit to be exciting and lively 24/7. When Roach and them were doing fight nights and entertainment nights over there, shit was lit (at least that's what the stream looked like)

I'm curious where this hostility came from... are you referring to people that lean against the fence? In a realistic setting there'd be people-watchers man, some people prefer to spectate sometimes than to get involved. 

Give this a look. Anarchy and the Moretti Famiglia, as well as the Loremaster(s) are creating interesting events, so that covers the "large group player-made event" thing.

To put a long story short, sometimes days are less exciting than others, keep playing and developing your character and you're bound to run across something interesting soon enough man. Take it from this Big and Coloured name ?

You walked into town at a real bad time, I can tell you that much. We had taken random ass potshots a bit earlier and gotten civilians to safety at that time, so when there were should outside of the compound a bit later, when you were there, it wasn't seen as quite as big a deal.

If memory serves your Dr. Helden is done via text RP, correct? Nothing wrong with that at all, I don't mind text RP, but do keep in mind that your RP is very easy to overlook by accident when there's more than just a couple people's RP to keep attention to.

Other than that, I can only say that I hope we can provide you with more of what we usually dish out in New Sin City when/if you visit again.

6 hours ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

more hostile-ish groups would be made

And get banned instantly. Hostile RP = bad (apparently)

Like it's been said, you came into town after an attack, everyone is understandably shaken up/in hiding.

Personally? 
There is a term in pen and paper RPG's (which is as close to the style of RPG we run here as we can get) that I think is a good... let's say 1/3 of the "boring " issue (though I do believe @Whitename and @Zero have pinned down the other 2/3 between them. 

My 1/3 though? Plot Hooks. The idea of Plot Hooks in a pen and paper RPG are tinny little snippets that lead to an adventure. A group of adventurers go into a town, and there are the plot hooks you get:

-The baker's son has gone to join the local militia to get glory, the baker wishes to pay you to bring him home (This could start as a normal mini quest, but get the players embroiled in the war that the militia was formed for in the first place) 

-The local blacksmith has been losing business due to a loss in suppliers, he asks you to go investigate the local mines to see what's going on (This could be anything: Goblins have took over the mine, the Mine's been brought by a corrupt Lord, bandits have set up several road blocks and stealing the minerals for an evil litch wanting to make weapons for his  undead army etc etc

-There is a fighting tournament going on in town (with divisions for magic and none magic users) that the players can participate in (Perhaps one of the contestants was knocked out in the early rounds and is convinced his opponent was cheating and asks the players to find proof, perhaps the championship is to the death and each defeat is a sacrifice to a daemon, perhaps the players discover an obvious pickpocket in the crowds without being stopped and in turn find that a thieves guild has some sort of arrangement with the town's guards in some vast conspiracy)

^All of these seem like small things, but they can lead to a whole session's worth of roleplay! That's why they are a plot hook. 

Imagine if they went to the town and none of the hooks were there:

"I go to the bakers for some bread... ask him how his day was"
"I get some stuff from the blacksmith... I need a new sword"
"Anything interesting going on? Eh... how was your day?" 

The above sounds awfully familiar to situations we have been having in game as of late no? 

My personal opinion is, taking into consideration you are there for everyone else's roleplay aswell as your own, you should always come into game with at least 2-3 plot hooks. Let's say Alistair Monroe, my slightly shady buisness guy character. 

-Alistair has heard some sort of rumour of a buisness oppertunity (I used this one time by saying I'd found a stash of poleroid cameras, which I asked the LM's for input on where i'd find them) and is eager to find a group for an expedition to find them.  (Might lead to other interested parties over hearing, would be theives who join the party to double cross us last second etc etc)

-Alistair is hoping to set up a new market somewhere away from the main towns. He perhaps wishes a group of people better acquainted to Chernarus to accompany him / give suggestions. (Might lead us to areas other groups have set up shop, and tension / negotiations, with the accompanying players caught in the middle)

-Alistair wants to find some rare meat in an area known to hold game, in the process they cause trouble near X settlement by firing so close to it (This could bring a development to relationships between the group and the players that accompany alistair + give the people at that settlement something to do). 

Now if everyone was to come up with a few hooks a day, apprecaiting not all of them would be used (just as we GM's in paper and pen RPG's have to) then people would have so much stuff to do / goals to work towards it would be unreal! 
It still requires Hostile RP of sorts and people actually paying attention and cool events (As said by Zero and Whitename) . 

But with all players just taking 5-10 minutes (which is all those 3 ideas took me) every time before they log in thinking of cool stuff their character wants to do to get others involved, then we'd see a lot more "Oh man do you remember when we did X last night?" in game ^_^ 

Just my positive 2 cents on the issue , though, as stated, I do believe Zero and Whitename have helped tidy up the issue completely between the 3 of our points ? 

People are more worried on losing their dank gear than to develop story lines for their character. 

Tbh I enjoy the storyline with @Kainwhen he played Casey Halls. That was real fun for a while, feels a shame it ended because I get bored now. 

Not a lot happens unless someone starts a rumour to create shit/hostilities to make the server more non-boring.

I honestly agree with your statement of the server being boring, I haven't read your whole post but if the jist of it is that the server is boring then I agree.

hostile RP has been eradicated almost fully, if you do get hostile RP it's from the same group over and over again, of which gets repetitive and boring. The same people make the same groups with different names but almost the exact same play style n mindset (sadly I suffer from this conundrum quite often myself).

many of the people I would say made my time on this server interesting and I believe effected others on the sever have been banned, 90% of them, not due to their ingame actions, but due to their actions on the forums.

The game was always dead, it was always killing the server, but bad decisions and a harsh forum punishment system has led to the already dying playerbase being slaughtered even more. This isn't just about my friends, as I have felt this backlash of my friends being banned, you don't feel like playing anymore, especially when they were banned due to forum actions.

groups are archieving, peaceful groups come, get shit on, archive. Hostile groups come, get reported loads, go. I had seen that new paladin group appear, I was happy and it gave me hope, however they then archived.

Another issue is the fact 'apparently' groups have been told that their settlements need to be moved to specific locations, yes they are not forced but the threat of being in pvp constantly forces them to, so they move, RP gets centralised and it goes stale.

personally a big issue for me is there only being 1 hotspot, and for selfish individuals trying to force groups to not create rival hotspots, centralising RP doesn't work, even with a small player base we need to strive to have at least 2 hotspots which aren't attacked every hour of the day, because it makes the game more interesting.

conclusion:

-The game is boring, update may fix this

-RP is stale and bland 

-1 settlement is a bad idea, 2 or more are required

-anyone trying to force a settlement to move unless this group had been openly hostile is doing something stupid and irresponsible

-reduced rules regarding shit posting, prioritise someone's RP over their forum activity (as it should be)

This is my opinion and isn't to be taken as fact or fiction, it is just my perspective on the sever

1 hour ago, Wyoming said:

-snip-

First off... I do not feel sorry for the people who have gotten banned on forums for their actions, cos from what I seen, people only test boundaries on forums, to look cool infront of their peers like teenage boys or smth... I mean... you have to be most immature and careless person, to even get points in forums... ? Im pretty sure that this kind of behavior did not used to be even a thing back in the day.

People seem to have shifted their focus from RP game to OOC drama and banter and we wonder why people get banned, annoyed, reported, salty, so on? 

Second, I feel hostile RP-ers to an extent ruined hostile RP for everyone and themselves. Cos they stuck to same "recipe" and people got annoyed... I did not like hostile RP myself for a while cos it did not generate nothing new or the quality/effort in it was really bad.

I think thats what bothered most people after which more and more reporting happened, which led Rolle to deal with that issue through rules.

I agree, the current rules suck and as a community we have lost our way... I do feel that feeling of boredom myself as of recent, the lack of motivation and ambition to RP in this community.

I beleave that we are the ones to blame... WE did this as a community.

Edited by Shanoby

1 hour ago, Shanoby said:

Second, I feel hostile RP-ers to an extent ruined hostile RP for everyone and themselves. Cos they stuck to same "recipe" and people got annoyed

This line pretty much sums it up, couldn't agree more

the main issue is hostile RPs repetitive nature. 

Edited by Wyoming

We're the ones who play here and we're the ones who shape the story. If anyone is at fault for things being boring, it's us. 

7 hours ago, CaliforniaRP said:

Yeah- time and time again have we sent up suggestions to ease up the server rules, or change certain things so RP doesn't feel so constricting. But after almost 3 months of us bitching, the best thing we got were the color-coded names. So now I have to run up to someone, check their pulse, tab out, see if they are a green/orange/red, and from there i decide how I want to RP with them.

Yeah....that's utterly ridiculous. Has the rules been taken to a poll at all? I've watched a few streams and videos of recent times, I have no words really..are people even having fun?

Bring FEAR back!

The last couple of times I've gotten IG people always seem to have a mountain of drugs stashed away or like you said meme characters show up to break the ice. Otherwise nothing really happens expect when people argue over the smallest of things or some medical RP.

People complain about hostilities and how those groups are the cancer of the server yet there the once that host event's maintain some elements of the lore and keep you entertained. Currently there is almost no point in being a hostile group untill you manage to get the approval tag or know the people your going up against oocly until you get that tag.

If your a text rper I'm not surprised you weren't noticed so well, maybe next  time use a mic?

@Shanoby what recipe ? There is only so much you can do before you have to start recycling shit due to the rules. Peopel who where to focused on themselves and rules where the once that ruined hostile RP. 

//You cannot harm my character.

We did not do this as a community, we had no say in the rules and the pm's he received that were used as ammo to justify his opinion were never shown to the people that abused those  ''rules''. Rolle wants it like this so this is just how it's gonna be in terms of rules.

Edited by Eagle

Here's a recipe for RP, if you don't watch your back you'll get jacked of all your gear from an opportunist bandit. I mean, what do people do nowadays, probably just run flat lines from place to place not giving a FUCK. 

When people have fear of losing their stuff, they stick to tree lines, scout areas etc, they know they are vulnerable. 

Yeah sure there's gonna be bandits that just rob everyone, so what? you'll learn to deal with those fuckers, you'll know their movements and what gear they tend to have. Whenever you get robbed by a bandit who gives you good roleplay how about you praise them on these forums? Everyone seems to care quite a bit about recognition. (There's tonnes of different ways to bandit roleplay but you pretty much have to disarm them or else you're a dead man, back when I played most people got their stuff back, unless I actually needed it.)

Is there any counter argument? 

These rules induce powergaming in every individual, people know they are protected.

Edited by Jerry

On the event part, that is what we are doing! Anarchy has created multiple events recently to help drive RP along with make it fun for other people! It sometimes feel like we're the only ones trying to get people in game and actually have fun as a community. I mean we've even had to split the group and bring back a second one just to give a little fear back into the people because others don't want to or just bitch about it when things don't go their way.

Edited by Lucas