Server time (UTC): 2019-12-13, 09:22 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Dino

Fallout 76 Thread

7 hours ago, Major Tom said:

...Starfield? They've been pretty clear that 76 is just a way for them to try out an idea they had and see if it works. Todd has directly said how single player RPGs are still their focus. 

I'll find the quote later, but they want this to be their flagship FALLOUT game for the next 5 years. s
And hell, call me sentimental if you want, but regardless of other RPG's they do, I am personally dissapointed that a franchise I've grown up with , one of my favourite RPG settings, is now a rust clone for at least the next 1/2 decade.

But regardless of sentimental drivvel from me, TES 6 has just gone into pre production (quoted by todd somewhere in an interview about fallout 76... man they sure love to trail off in those) so won't be out till at least 2020 (hell some people actually theorize they shat together said TES 6 trailer in the 2 weeks before E3 due to fears of fallout 76 backlash after rumours of it being a rust clone came to the surface). 

+Starfield may not even be an RPG, something that hasn't be confirmed or denied. So I'ma hold my breath. 

Either way here's to new things, but a single tear for the fundamental transformation of the old. 

Also note: He actually said they had the idea whilst making fallout 4, but realised half way through they didn't have the infastructure in place to make it happen. Certainly makes those random base building mechanics and minimal RPG mechanics in 4 make sense ?

Edited by The Traveler

@The Traveler I don't know why you are getting so hung up on the Flagship part. It just means it's gonna be the newest and most supported fallout game until (presumably after 5 or so years) they make the next game.

Does it completely represent what the fallout franchise stands for? No. But there is a reason it came out a mere 3 years after Fallout 4 under a title that isnt Fallout 5. Its a spin off game, and just because it is that doesn't mean it can't be a full release.

6 minutes ago, Harvey said:

@The Traveler I don't know why you are getting so hung up on the Flagship part. It just means it's gonna be the newest and most supported fallout game until (presumably after 5 or so years) they make the next game.

Does it completely represent what the fallout franchise stands for? No. But there is a reason it came out a mere 3 years after Fallout 4 under a title that isnt Fallout 5. Its a spin off game, and just because it is that doesn't mean it can't be a full release.

A spin off is usually a 1-2 deal thing. This is going to be their prime fallout game for 5 years + 

That's what has got me hung up. 

Half a decade is a long time to not have a new fallout game... Infact more than that, bethesda says most their fallout resources are going to go into updating this game... 

This will be the fallout for an entire generation of Consoles. 

Spin offs are made in tangent to the main games. This is just a main game that's completely changed the genre of game. 
Torchwood is a spin off of Doctor who 

Stargate Universe is not a spin off of Stargate SG1, it's a continuation of the franchise.

Fallout 76 is not a spin off, it is a continuation of the franchise for the next half decade...

Or are you gonna tell me if we got told all work for DayZ SA was gonna stop tommorow and for the next 5 years the devs would be supporting a top down MMO based off DayZ that it would be ok as it was "just a spin off" 

Edited by The Traveler

24 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

A spin off is usually a 1-2 deal thing. This is going to be their prime fallout game for 5 years + 

That's what has got me hung up. 

Half a decade is a long time to not have a new fallout game... Infact more than that, bethesda says most their fallout resources are going to go into updating this game... 

This will be the fallout for an entire generation of Consoles. 

Spin offs are made in tangent to the main games. This is just a main game that's completely changed the genre of game. 
Torchwood is a spin off of Doctor who 

Stargate Universe is not a spin off of Stargate SG1, it's a continuation of the franchise.

Fallout 76 is not a spin off, it is a continuation of the franchise for the next half decade...

Or are you gonna tell me if we got told all work for DayZ SA was gonna stop tommorow and for the next 5 years the devs would be supporting a top down MMO based off DayZ that it would be ok as it was "just a spin off" 

There 7-year gap between 3 and 4 (Not counting NV), Its been three years since 4, and they claim 76 will be the main FO title for 5 years, if we go by the past, we will get another full FO title  7-8 years after 4.

In my mind 76 is to 4 what NV was to 3, A full game yes, but not one to damage the development of the main games.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

There 7-year gap between 3 and 4 (Not counting NV), Its been three years since 4, and they claim 76 will be the main FO title for 5 years, if we go by the past, we will get another full FO title  7-8 years after 4.

In my mind 76 is to 4 what NV was to 3, A full game yes, but not one to damage the development of the main games.

Knowing the history behind Obsidian Entertainment I consider New Vegas a main game. I mean fuck it's truer to the original than 3 and 4 + has more RPG content in the main game and some of the best DLC's of the series. 
Bethesda have never been a hardcore RPG company. They are a "bethesda adventure game" company.  TES is to witcher what CoD is to Arma... 

Same with Fallout. It was a bloody good RPG I have many fond memories of playing with my uncle first and formost. Then it became a bethesda Adventure Game: Featuring some RPG elements. I was fine with that till New Vegas, then it got me hungry for more proper RPG's in the fallout line, like it deserved. Instead we got 4's horrid dialogue and lack of side content past "go here, shoot shit" and two ok-ish side quests with no real branching choices. 

Then we get this Rust Clone... which comes from a game (fallout 4) rumoured to have originally been what 76 is going to be, but they didn't have the resources to get  it finished. 

I have no doubt in my mind this is the way they want Fallout to go. It's been 3 years since fallout, and none of their titles close to the role of RPG's were even in Pre Production yet until E3 this year. 

Bethesda are focusing more on their Doom's, Wolfensteins and Starfields. Which is ok in my books, do what you're best at innit? 

But with that in mind... maybe they should just sell of fallout to a company known for making consistantly quality RPG's. Obsidian Entertainment being my main choice cause aye, bring Fallout back home. But failing that I dunno, CDPR? 

1 hour ago, The Traveler said:

Knowing the history behind Obsidian Entertainment I consider New Vegas a main game. I mean fuck it's truer to the original than 3 and 4 + has more RPG content in the main game and some of the best DLC's of the series. 
Bethesda have never been a hardcore RPG company. They are a "bethesda adventure game" company.  TES is to witcher what CoD is to Arma... 

Same with Fallout. It was a bloody good RPG I have many fond memories of playing with my uncle first and formost. Then it became a bethesda Adventure Game: Featuring some RPG elements. I was fine with that till New Vegas, then it got me hungry for more proper RPG's in the fallout line, like it deserved. Instead we got 4's horrid dialogue and lack of side content past "go here, shoot shit" and two ok-ish side quests with no real branching choices. 

Then we get this Rust Clone... which comes from a game (fallout 4) rumoured to have originally been what 76 is going to be, but they didn't have the resources to get  it finished. 

I have no doubt in my mind this is the way they want Fallout to go. It's been 3 years since fallout, and none of their titles close to the role of RPG's were even in Pre Production yet until E3 this year. 

Bethesda are focusing more on their Doom's, Wolfensteins and Starfields. Which is ok in my books, do what you're best at innit? 

But with that in mind... maybe they should just sell of fallout to a company known for making consistantly quality RPG's. Obsidian Entertainment being my main choice cause aye, bring Fallout back home. But failing that I dunno, CDPR? 

Have you done any research in to this or are you speaking from your gut?

Where are you getting the idea it's a rust clone? It's been explicitly stated that it's not like rust as all. "It’s not like Rust, other than it’s an online world with people in it." - Pete Hines. The initial idea that it would be like rust spewed from the e3 reveal and what people thought about it, but it was quickly proven wrong and you're just hanging on to this misconception.

They're not focusing on Doom and Wolfenstein, they just publish them. Doom is made by id Software and Wolfenstein is made by MachineGames. Bethesda are simply the publisher, clearly these games do not take their attention away from their main franchises. Bethesda Game Studios are still focused on their main franchises for now and the foreseeable future.

This is by no means the way they want Fallout to go. This is a test game and not in line with the main Fallout franchise. It's NOT Fallout 5. Of course we won't be getting Fallout 5 for a good few years but that's always been the case because they alternate between Fallout and Elder Scrolls. We'll be getting a main Fallout 5 singleplayer RPG AFTER Elder Scrolls 6. It's a shame that Fallout 4 will be the most recent main game for nearly a decade, but that's not to say it's the last of it's kind.

Also, why on earth would they sell it to Obsidian? It's true that New Vegas is very good in terms of story and you can thank the likes of John R. Gonzalez for that. Oh, did I mention that he doesn't work at Obsidian anymore? Most of the guys who wrote New Vegas moved to different companies. Unless you want the near bankrupt guys who wrote the Stick of Truth to handle Fallout?

Todd himself has stated that Starfield is a single player RPG in the same style as Fallout and Elder Scrolls. He elaborates a bit here at about 12:55 onwards. There was a better interview about it but after some searching I can't find it so this is the best you're gonna get.

Reading all your posts has been difficult for me. You're talking like the generic reddit user that saw the initial trailer and cast the entire game aside without looking in to it. Read through my points and look at some of the other interviews Todd and the others have done and maybe then you can make some legitimate criticisms.

Edited by Major Tom

Does anyone know if there are going to be raid like things in this?

Fallout 76 - Welcome to West Virginia Gameplay Trailer

There isn't really any new information in this video and I believe that this video has already been shown during the E3 stream. They just released this video has a standalone video instead of being somewhere inside of a 2+ hour stream.

Edited by Dino

Fallout 76 - You Will Emerge! Introduction to Multiplayer Gameplay Video

Another video that was shown during the E3 presentation, just now uploaded as a standalone video

OP is updated with the 2 latest videos

Edited by Dino

Fallout 76 – A New American Dream! An Intro to C.A.M.P. Gameplay Video

Same as the two other videos, just another standalone video which was showcased at E3

Edited by Dino

Fallout 76 – The Power of the Atom! Intro to Nukes Gameplay Video

Same story as the other ones

Battle Royale's just been  said to be a real possibility in an  interview...  

Interesting... 

14 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Interesting... 

lit

33 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Interesting... 

Sauce?

Believe it's this article/interview that he is referring too:

https://multiplayer.it/articoli/todd-howard-fallout-76-the-elder-scrolls-6-starfield.html

It's written in Italian and I'm using google translate to understand it. The question in mind is this one:

Question: ''We are constantly talking about battle royale in this period and I think the PvP of Fallout 76 with its survival drift is well married with the genre. Are you thinking about it?''

Todd Howard: ''We'll see ... look, at the moment our only thought is to make sure that the game works perfectly. Then we will adjust according to what people ask and we will make some attempts. At the moment, however, we want the basic game, the main one, to run at its best.''

Rundown of the interview that is in regard to Fallout 76:

• Cross platform will not be a thing due to a handful of reasons, primarily because they want to do a lot of new things. (Not written in the interview but Todd Howard has said that Sony is not cooperating well when it comes to cross platform) 
  • Long term plan: ''However, one of our long-term plans is to have servers where you can live your lonely world. You alone. Or at the limit where you can invite only your friends; or you can apply mods and change the rules at your discretion. All of this is in our projects but there will not be at the launch of the game.''
  • Topic spawnkilling: Several tricks are being used to prevent this, the only one mentioned is that you cannot kill a player until they reach level 5. All of this can be changed depending on feedback they get and how it all plays out.
  •  The settlements you build can only be partially damaged and not completely destroyed. It will not cost much to repair them. Reasoning for why the camps will be destructible: '' The reason we make it damaged is because it is possible to confine another player in the camp, if it can not break it becomes a problem. That's why we decided to make the camps destructible: not because we want to stimulate others to attack your shelter but to prevent players from using the camp to annoy other players.''
  • Fast travel is still going to be a thing like previous games.
  • There are not going to be any vehicles or mounts.
  • 2 questions that he didn't fully answer regarding quests
       - So will the other players be able to assign you missions? ''Not exactly.''
       - Can you not be more specific?  ''Not now, we'll talk about it later.''
  • Day/night cycle and variable weather is going to be a thing.
  • Beta is going to be released in several stages and they hope that the main Beta test is going to be the full game with all its features.
  • Battle Royale is not going to be a thing or a focus when the game releases. That might change depending on the want and/or possibilities for such a game mode.
Edited by Dino

QuakeCon 2018 was a couple of days ago and some new stuff and some old stuff have been said. I'm stealing a list that someone else made because I'm a bit lazy to make my own. I haven't gone through it all myself and haven't watched any of the QuakeCon panels so I don't fully know the credibility of this, but the fact that it's pinned on the subreddit (at the time of posting this) I would think it would be pretty legit.

SPECIAL and Perk Cards

• Players able to share Perk Cards in their group but diverse groups of characters with different Perk Cards are encouraged

• On your first level-up, you pick a SPECIAL you want to increase and pick a Perk Card within that SPECIAL

• Every SPECIAL is a pool of points for the Perk Cards you want to equip

• Each Perk Card has a point cost for how powerful that card is

• You can level-up Perk Cards for more powerful bonuses

• You can pick any Perk Card you meet the requirements for, no randomness

• SPECIAL cap is now at 15, not 10

• Perk Cards can go up to level 5 in power

• Mutation Perks with benefits and drawbacks

• Charisma allows your party to share more Perk Cards with each other - encourages people to spend points in Charisma

• Perk Card Packs are awarded every two levels and every five levels after level 10; you get a pack of four random Perk Cards

• Gum from Perk Card Packs reduces Hunger need

• You can swap out your active Perk Cards at any time

• One Perk Card per level

• Perk Card Packs can also give you Perk Cards you'd otherwise need to be a higher level for

• When you hit level 50 you don't get SPECIAL points anymore but you still get to pick Perk Cards

Characters and Mechanics

• You wake up in the Vault on Reclamation Day

• Improved character customiser

• You take your profile picture of your character with Photo Mode

• Photo Mode has multiple settings and filters, can be used both inside the Vault and out

• Few loading screens in the game, uses photos as loading screen slides

• Completely customisable characters, including sex, at any time in the game

• Increased Rads gives you greater chance of mutating

Gameplay

• No saves

• No PvP until level 5

• You can ignore and block players to avoid them seeing you on the map

• Pacifist flag to prevent you damaging other players

Community Questions

- Why can't we play the B.E.T.A. sooner?

• Things still need fixing, stress testing, need to get ready for crashing, getting ready to get it fixed ASAP

- PvP; how does it work? What's the deal with griefing?

• We want this element of danger but without griefing; when you shoot someone it does lower damage, acts as an invitation to combat - full damage when in full, mutual combat - more Caps rewarded on kill if higher level. If you are killed you can get revenge on your killer and get double rewards.
  • People who kill unwilling combatants become 'wanted' with a bounty - a known murderer. Visible on map to all players. There is no reward for killing unwilling combatants. Bounty comes out of the wanted persons Caps pool. They can't see the bounty hunters who come after them.

- What happens when you die?

• You only drop Junk items when you die, taking away important resources for crafting/building. There are stashes around the map to keep Junk safe.
  • If in PvP, you can take other people's Junk items as a reward.

- How does respawning work?

• You can respawn anywhere; Vault 76 is free to respawn but you can pay Caps to spawn elsewhere

- If you're a higher level character with better armor, weapons etc. how do I engage with lower players?

• Power curve; weapons are balanced between players bringing them to average level / damage dealt

- What happens if I / a place gets nuked? What about my C.A.M.P.?

• When you nuke a C.A.M.P. it does destroy structures but you can blueprint your camps and replace it and move it if needed. Easy to repair destroyed structures, players can destroy walls to prevent getting stuck or trapped

- How does communication work?

• Emote wheel, voice chat for teammates and optional voice chat for other players that is vicinity-based. You can mute other players.

- VATS; how does it work if it's online and real-time?

• You target the whole body, you can't target body parts without a perk. Perception based, can invest in it to improve it for those that struggle with gunplay

- Who is scoring Fallout 76 and what's the music in the game?

• Inon Zur. Lots of licensed songs, radio stations confirmed.

- What about private servers?

• Definitely going to happen, as is modding.
  • Live game; there is a roadmap, it'll be a very different game a year and years after launch. B.E.T.A. is the first step to those changes

Fallout 76 – Vault-Tec Presents: Being a Better You! Perks Video

OP is updated with everything

@Dino You are a national treasure.

5 minutes ago, Harvey said:

@Dino You are a national treasure.

You're too kind ? 

Fallout 76 – Vault-Tec Presents: Atomics for Peace! Nukes Video

A Gameinformer article that goes a bit in depth in perks, PvP, nukes, C.A.M.P.s, quests and some more stuff

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/04/the-new-wasteland-what-to-expect-from-fallout-76

Fallout 76 – Official In-Game Intro

please  tell me none of use are excited for the first none rpg fallout, this ones just too appeal to the masses so that Todd can make a little extra money. 

As you can tell I personally think fo 76 is a terrible idea

53 minutes ago, Kabe said:

please  tell me none of use are excited for the first none rpg fallout, this ones just too appeal to the masses so that Todd can make a little extra money. 

I wouldn't say I'm excited. But it does look like it could be good fun. 

I can’t wait till they drop another rpg. It’s a no from me on this one. Not even talking when giving quests or anything. Would be such a good spot for an actual rpg. Dropped my entire life into the fallout games since 5th grade I’m disappointed

2 hours ago, Kabe said:

EXACTLY