Server time (UTC): 2020-10-30, 19:18 HALLOWEEN SALE
Sign in to follow this  
Romenthegreat

Rping as different religions?

I personally can't, it would go against my values. 

Not sure what religion you are but if you are Christian you should spend some time reflecting if this is the way of the Lord.

Lots of people play characters way different from themselves and I think to a degree this is what makes RP really interesting in some cases. You have to realize that your character and you irl are entirely different things. You can play a sadistic serial killer while you are the nicest person irl, it's acting basically and nothing more. 

So to answer your question: Yes there are a lot of people who do or did stuff like this myself included.   

Edited by Grimnir

It's RolePlay, be whoever you want to be mate. I've seen people here who played as Muslim or Christian zealots and I highly doubt those were their values in real life, but you never know here. So yeah, plenty of other people do this! ^^

Edited by pijkaCZ

Yeah. Lots of people RP as different regions, There's even been few groups that have been religious, 

1. Fides et Virtus created by @Pontiff
  2. The Children of Falk  I created and gave the rights to @SebbePwnYou 
  3. Not sure if there's anymore that was made in this lore.

I think, I could be wrong but when I started playing here there was a priest in kab? that went around preaching. And also @Shiro made something on the lines as well. 

You can roleplay anything you want, thats what is good about it, you want to take on something or somebody that is this and that.

So yes to answer your question. It has been done and it usually good as well, when you come across these people in my opinion. 

Edited by Elk

Roleplaying religion is really interesting. For an example, I've tried roleplaying as a Christian before on one of my characters. Meeting religious people is always fun and creates amazing stories ingame. So people do this and I always encourage people to do it.

Edited by lukaszxe

In real life, I am a spiritualist. Meaning I believe in the following:

Spoiler

1. We believe in Infinite Intelligence.
  2. We believe that the phenomena of Nature, both physical and spiritual, are the expression of Infinite Intelligence.
  3. We affirm that a correct understanding of such expression and living in accordance therewith, constitute true religion.
  4. We affirm that the existence and personal identity of the individual continue after the change called death.
  5. We affirm that communication with the so-called dead is a fact, scientifically proven by the phenomena of Spiritualism.
  6. We believe that the highest morality is contained in the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
  7. We affirm the moral responsibility of individuals and that we make our own happiness or unhappiness as we obey or disobey Nature’s physical and spiritual laws.
  8. We affirm that the doorway to reformation is never closed against any soul here or hereafter.
  9. We affirm that the precepts of Prophecy and Healing are Divine attributes proven through Mediumship.

However I have characters that are Buddist, Extreme-SpiritualistNon-Religious and a Christian Zealot. It all depends on how you do it. I have a lot of knowledge on how some religions work but not to a full extent - so long as you try to follow that set of rules or guidelines, no one should judge you. Such as when people medical RP, we're not real doctors so we won't know everything. Hell, I have a bible for my Christian Zealot and marked down the most famous quotes to misinterpret them like a cult would do!

I play an eastern orthodox character whilst being non-religious irl, It's usually best to do some prior research before playing said religion, for me and the svoboda boys we have @Your Lil Brother Tommy who's originally from ruski land and knows a bit about the eastern orthodox religion.

As someone that usually roleplays a heavy Shinto-believer I tend to get a lot of shit thrown my way from all sorts of way! The key is to cast away everything and just roleplay your char out - He/she may be defensive in his or her beliefs. I don't think irl matters aslong as you do it right!

Really not sure what I believe but I took a lot (%80) of my views and made it into the group I ran a bit ago called Natshanakru. People called it a religion and a cult so I guess I believe in Natshanaedei. lol

My current character is an Atheist but was given the teachings of Natshanakru and is starting to believe parts of it.

Edited by Empress Nino

I do not follow a religion, but I do agree with the philosophies and ideals of Buddhism. At least when forced to pick a "religion" I select Buddhism from the list or religions and Buddhism.  Which brings to mind why is Satanist never on these forms? As at one time I did identify as a Satanist (Anton Zander Levey Satanist, not Aleister Crowley Satanist) and yes this was in my teenage years. 

My character at the present time is a devout Satanist and finds the idea of murdering someone for his dark lord a very fun and necessary thing to do, when the situation calls for it. He is aware there is probably not too many people left, considering he has only met about 4 people so far, and will have to space the killings out a bit to ensure there is enough sacrifices to appease Satan. He regularly sacrifices chickens among doing other things to them.... 

In real life the idea of killing, torturing, abusing animals and people... these things I just could not fathom to understand the need or drive to do these. In the game Aleister can do these things, because it's just a game. No one is really getting hurt or worse... Maybe a little butt hurt at times from the giant salt shaker spilling over, but no real suffering occurs. 

In roleplay you can do anything, be anyone, or anything, and have amazing adventures you could do in real life. (and at times should never do) 

@Petrovsky plays a Muslim (rather convincingly might I add)

I'm not religious but I've played Baptist, protestant, Atheist, agnostic, Orthodox Christian...

I even text rped as a follower of the Sept for a game of thrones rp. 

You just have to do your research and see things from their point of view. 

2 hours ago, Prince said:

I personally can't, it would go against my values. 

Not sure what religion you are but if you are Christian you should spend some time reflecting if this is the way of the Lord.

I really hope that is a joke.

But nah man you really shouldn't be confined to what you believe irl. That the whole thing about roleplay, you're not playing yourself. Listen to what some of the others above have mentioned do your research and you should be fine.

I'm pretty much a deist, and I RP'd a hardcore southern baptist man w/ our other group..

It's fun- and fine. Just do your research.

I remember when some of the boys in this community did a group called Al-Takhari Mujahideen, they had strong beliefs and were strict on their religion if I remember correctly.

Now I know for sure, a lot of those guys were not Muslim, but they made characters that were Muslim, a group even. 

They did do a good job at it, you can create a character and that character you create can be atheist, Muslim or even Jewish.

I had a Jewish character myself, I personally like to look up on the religion, so I can roleplay it out correctly.

Sorry for grammar, phone and half asleep.

Edited by Lady In Blue

I'm personally profoundly agnostic yet I've never played anything else other than a catholic priest since I first joined here. Roleplay is all about getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things, religions are no different; however, you have to put plenty of time in research in order to make this side of your character believable, else you'll have some heat coming your way ! It's much like roleplaying a mental illness, do your research, be thorough and you're in the clear. Hope it'll all work out for you !

I think Pontiff has it on the nose. There are "The Two R's" that everyone should remember when role-playing something representative of beliefs, mental illnesses, or other cultures:

Research and Respect.

This is something that personally gets on my nerves sometimes when I see people (Not just on DayZRP) who role-play mental illnesses. You don't have to write a thesis about the condition, but having a basic understanding, knowing the terminology OOCly (Even if you don't ICly), and understanding what it really is like can make an interesting and diverse character, and not just someone who tries to blame everything on a mental illness that does nothing they think.

For religions it's in the same vein. You're taking something that is a core tenet of a lot of peoples' lives and you're exploring it through role-play, so why shouldn't you be well-versed in it? Even if you want to play someone who is bad at the religion they practice (And this is a thing and can be quite entertaining and interesting, where they are solely a product of indoctrination from birth without the actual fundamental understanding of rules and restrictions. Just "Parents are x thus I am x and x exists.") knowing about it OOCly in order to inform your RP is always important. 

Personally I'm an atheist, but in both realistic and fantasy settings I've played things from religious zealots to, well, anti-religious zealots. Mace, ICly, actually enjoys learning about religions and beliefs, not because he's looking to be proselytized to, but because information is important, and if you upset someone on something as deep and ingrained as religion can be, it's going to be a very grave error on your part.

IRL im not really religious but when i joined Filii Prophetam and had to create a religious character it was hard to RP cause i didn't know shit about religion.

So long as you can differentiate real life from what you are RPing out, I say it's ok.

I'm a pretty big Christian IRL even though I've done some questionable stuff in RP.

So long as you keep it separate it should be all good.

Religion is always a really good storytelling device whether it's used in a passive way or not it adds some extra content and depth to your character or story.