Server time (UTC): 2020-10-28, 22:24
Sign in to follow this  
Swarx

reduce backstory minimum wordcount to like 100ish words

suggestion poll  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

tbh i do not have nearly enough time to type 500 words for my throwaway/side character's backstory, which i have in my head but am forced to put out in public for people to metagame. it's not like people could just find out their backstory IC, and of course it would be totally impossible for me to actually develop their backstory as i play them, while getting a feel for the type of person that they are via real interactions.

in conclusion 100 words is a much more reasonable amount, just so you can have some barebones info at the least.

> "you're a lazy bastard swarx, you gotta put effort into your character SWARX, it's not hard to type 500 words SWARX, everyone else typed 500 words SWARX"

yes

but i wanna play a character that i will just PK the moment they die in any IC interaction. my characters' backstories are rarely interesting so i don't wanna type up "oh wow he worked at chernarussian mcdonalds before the outbreak and his cat got ate wowow!!" then, after typing that shit all up, not even get a chance to RP for 28 days [maybe weeks] cuz ill have to find some other fucker first

imo, the people that SHOULD have 500 character backstories are military/gang/police dudes. it should not take much effort to start playing some random ass gopnik civilian with no useful skills whatsoever. the 1000-word backstory for your first char on the whitelist application already serves as a test of your writing skills- you shouldn't need to type 500 more words for every dude you make. i should just be able to choose how much of their backstory i wanna reveal, since it's nobody's business unless someone asks ICly anyway

Edited by Swarx

I'm sorry to say but we are a roleplay community where it is required that people put some effort into their character. You don't have to give all of your story away just enough for it to fit in the lore. From what I've seen with your suggestions, as you brought up in your opening post, you just gotta stop being lazy? They aren't going to change things just because it's hard for you. The reason for the 500 words is to stop throw away (mainly trollish) character. We aren't going to make separate rules for different types of character.

Edited by Clumsy

Didn't you just make the same thread a few minutes ago? The answer is no though, it's not hard to write 500 characters.

@Spartan 

Spoiler

ZWLZKl7.jpg

500 words isn't that hard to actually do. It provides the basis for a character and if you're throwing away characters left, right and centre it's a bit... of a waste. Like, how can you develop your character's if they're constantly dead?

Just now, Grimnir said:

Didn't you just make the same thread a few minutes ago? The answer is no though, it's not hard to write 500 characters.

@Spartan 

Reveal hidden contents

ZWLZKl7.jpg

His other post was more of a troll post, fairly certain he's more serious with this suggestion.

With no harsh intentions, deal with it, it is what it is im afraid. Perhaps if you are unable to find the motivation to write an appropriate backstory and/or search to find people in game, you shouldn't be playing here.

im fucking HARDCORE man, if i get shot in the head, IM DEAD

im not some LOSER who just says "wow im wounded and uh i somehow survived this pls dont pk me!!!" after getting executed by some guy

that way, if they develop/survive, theyll have lived through real experiences, not some fake shit where i always survive/win

but i cant afford to type up 500 words for each HARDCORE character i make, because a lot of them will die

Eh, a while back we had this debate and staff concluded that 500 is not too much or too little. It's only half the amount of characters you need for your whitelist app when you think about it. But yeah we've been down this road and I don't see it changing.

Just this suggestion was already 1637 characters. If you would have put that time into characters you would have been able to make 3 already. 

Just now, Swarx said:

im fucking HARDCORE man, if i get shot in the head, IM DEAD

im not some LOSER who just says "wow im wounded and uh i somehow survived this pls dont pk me!!!" after getting executed by some guy

that way, if they develop/survive, theyll have lived through real experiences, not some fake shit where i always survive/win

but i cant afford to type up 500 words for each HARDCORE character i make, because a lot of them will die

Ultimately, it's your prerogative to choose to RP that way. That does not make you exempt from the rules, nor will a special exception be made.

I highly doubt the limit will change, but good on you for taking things in a hardcore fashion.

Just now, Spartan said:

Just this suggestion was already 1637 characters. If you would have put that time into characters you would have been able to make 3 already. 

characters, not words u big silly

Just now, Swarx said:

Fairly certain the limit is actually characters not words, but /shrug

I don't think anyone's said this yet but Its Not 500 Words. its 500 Characters, which means anything you can put into the text field a space a period a question mark everything counts as a character. Now of course you can't just spam symbols into the box, but so long as you have a concurrent back story then you should be perfectly fine, just write where you came from, how you got to chernarus, and what are you doing now and within no time you will be at 500 characters, in fact this message that i sent you is exactly 537 characters,

Edited by Ender

1 minute ago, Swarx said:

The  requirement for your character page is characters too. Not words silly. 

As a guy who just shat out a 10k word essay in 2 days due to a file corruption, trust me when I say the current limit is fine, and maybe ya'll need to make a new character if your backstory (you know, the very foundations of your character) can't reach that limit in their description, as said character sounds a bit bland to be enjoyed by others as well as yourself..

Edited by The Traveler

holy shit i realized that it IS only 500 characters

that's FUCKING easy

nvm i'm a big retard close this suggestion the fuck down

/Gladly Closed