Server time (UTC): 2020-10-30, 09:49 HALLOWEEN SALE
Sign in to follow this  
Swarx

Newbs unable to find roleplay.

I have played for like 8 hours and have not seen a soul- not even EVIDENCE of player activity. Even outside of "hotspots", I feel like I should have seen at least one person by now, since the server is decently populated. The forums are so lively and active that I'm actually really surprised at how hard it is to find people ingame. So far, it almost seems like it's just a singleplayer version of DayZ. It was fun playing alone for awhile, getting my character an outfit that matched him and getting some basic gear. But then I get killed, and I realized I went through all that effort for nothing. I use the radio forum to find out where people were, and I tried to go to this one city, I even OOCly killed myself multiple times in an attempt to spawn near it. Doesn't really work. I've grown way too impatient at this point.

I really feel like screaming "I QUIT!!!", though I may try again later... still, I am pretty fed up.

So, apparently admins can't teleport you or anything, so I'm not sure how stuff like this could be remedied. Maybe give people better starting gear?  A map, compass, GPS thing, something like that? Even a water vessel and a food item would be good, so I wouldn't have to waste my time searching for supplies over and over again when I really just want to find another player to interact with. Can spawn points be adjusted? I don't know.

Edited by Swarx

If you checked the radio forums you'd see that people usually announce hotspots. It doesnt take much to run to one.
Also i'm pretty sure you shouldn't be killing yourself to get a better spawn...

We don't have the tools necessary to custom spawn items in nor set up loadouts for new spawns etc, DayZ is still very primitive in these respects, unlike the mod. 

.63 may change things however, and if this is possible I'm sure it will happen, considering the interest it took in a suggestion a while back.

Yeah you shouldn't be killing yourself to get a better spawn.

Also Admins are not able to spawn things in to give to people its not hard to find apples, so theres a easy supply of food. And from there I suggest you make the trek to one of the hotspots.

5 minutes ago, Genji said:

If you checked the radio forums you'd see that people usually announce hotspots. It doesnt take much to run to one.
Also i'm pretty sure you shouldn't be killing yourself to get a better spawn...

Can someone just straight-up make a list of where to go in order to find players, then? I don't really want to go through the hassle of manually seeking that out- it seems like something newbs should just be entitled to, since it's the only way roleplay can be facilitated.

As for killing myself, well, I'm just trying to find players. If they ban me for that, then idk what to say.

Edited by Swarx

1 minute ago, Swarx said:

Can someone just straight-up make a list of where to go in order to find players, then? I don't really want to go through the hassle of manually seeking that out- it seems like something newbs should just be entitled to, since it's the only way roleplay can be facilitated.

As for killing myself, well, I'm just trying to find players. If they ban me for that, then idk what to say.

Uh, not really, no. The whole point is that you know where people are in character, its not hard to look through the radio stuff.

Like I said, Radio chatter. No one can teleport you, so your only choice is to make the run.

The point of a ROLEPLAY server is to roleplay it out finding people no one is entitled to be handed a written out list when you can spend five minutes on the radio chatter and that will tell you the locations of current hotspots. It ruins half of the fun if you are just handed the OOC information.

4 minutes ago, Genji said:

Uh, not really, no. The whole point is that you know where people are in character, its not hard to look through the radio stuff.

Not that big of a woop. Are they gonna show up and punch everyone to death?

A thread containing the list of hotspots can be ICly justified anyway. The outbreak has been going on for like a year, so it's not unreasonable that your average survivor would have general knowledge of the region's hubs, since they would have met travelers and shit during their time surviving that have passed through those places.

Edited by Swarx

A thread containing the list of hotspots can be ICly justified anyway. The outbreak has been going on for like a year, so it's not unreasonable that your average survivor would have general knowledge of the region's hubs, since they would have met travelers and shit during their time surviving that have passed through those places.

Hotspots change weekly, its honestly not worth it and not that hard to look at the radio posts.
Or just post your own?
'hey Im lost.. is anyone out there' etc etc

A thread containing the list of hotspots can be ICly justified anyway. The outbreak has been going on for like a year, so it's not unreasonable that your average survivor would have general knowledge of the region's hubs, since they would have met travelers and shit during their time surviving.

If you want to make that list then go ahead and do so, but hot spots move constantly. So keeping it up to date is difficult at best.

Also the point is to learn this stuff properly in character. If you really want guaranteed RP you could try applying for a group, there are plenty of them around that might be willing to come and set something up to meet up with you in character.

Not every newb will get the idea of looking at the radio chatter forum. I'm not just speaking for myself here. How many people might have just quit after playing for a few hours with no interaction, or prompts on where to find anybody?

I'm not trying to be some metagamer. All I'm saying is that some basic OOC information is needed for IC interactions to even become feasible, otherwise newbs will just run around aimlessly without even getting a chance to roleplay at all. 

Edited by Swarx

The server isn't usually populated until night time EU.

It's always difficult finding other players during the day EU time in my opinion, you could join DayZRP TS and get to know people in the community to arrange a meet up, I also want to mention that it can be fun looting up! Look at the positive side, I know DayZ and RP isn't for everyone but it's what you make of it. 

Well, we can't teleport you. You need to make your own way from the South to the East sort of say, but all of us here are used to it, maybe it's why it isn't hard on our end like it is for yourself. 

All I can suggest is talking to other community members in TS and see if you can get any help, could join a group even.

Sorry for my grammar and what not, eye sight isn't great today.

Good luck.

Edited by Lady In Blue

Just now, Swarx said:

Not every newb will get the idea of looking at the radio chatter forum. I'm not just speaking for myself here. How many people might have just quit after playing for a few hours with no interaction, or prompts on where to find anybody?

I'm not trying to be some metagamer. All I'm saying is that some basic OOC information is needed for IC interactions to even become feasible, otherwise newbs will just run around aimlessly without even getting a chance to roleplay at all. 

Thats what we all did when we first joined.

Stary Yar is best bet for a 100% rp

3 minutes ago, Swarx said:

Not every newb will get the idea of looking at the radio chatter forum. How many people might have just quit after playing for a few hours with no interaction, or prompts on where to find anybody?

Its no ones fault really but their own if they dont even give radio chatter a look over, thats what I did when I first joined. I had run around for a couple hours, couldnt find anyone and then used the radio and TS and ended up finding a ton of people that way. Its not hard to do.

2 minutes ago, Genji said:

Thats what we all did when we first joined.

Yeah, so?

I don't think you should have been forced to go through that bullshit either.

1 minute ago, CaliforniaRP said:

Stary Yar is best bet for a 100% rp

Not close to any spawn points.

Edited by Swarx

Just now, Swarx said:

Ya... you gotta travel bud. I spend 75% of my time on the server running from point A to point B.

2 minutes ago, Swarx said:

Yeah, so?

You have to put in SOME effort if you want to find RP on the server man, no ones going to just hand you OOC info

Yeah, so?

its not bullshit? Its kinda realistic tbh. I dont mind ?

3 minutes ago, Swarx said:

dude its like a 5 minute read lol take some initiative if you wanna RP

23 minutes ago, ItzzNate said:

dude its like a 5 minute read lol take some initiative if you wanna RP

I did, bud. I said that it might not cross the minds of OTHER new players to do it.

Edited by Swarx

22 minutes ago, Swarx said:

Considering how concentrated people are, is it just some huge circlejerk or something?

There is IC reason for people to be where they are, and its not just Stary Yar. Spawns arent going to change, they're ALWAYS on the coast. Apple trees are easy to find and grant hydration and energy. If you're dying because of starvation or dehydration, might I suggest googling Dayz Apple Trees so you know what to look for?

No offense but the community isn't going to change how it works for you because you keep dying and dont want to run to Stary Yar. 

Eh, sorry if I'm starting to get riled up. It's just frustrating.

But basically, the main thing I'm going for right now, is to have information regarding the location of RP opportunities more accessible than it is currently. Yes, it IS easy to check the radio chatter forum. I have done it, and it's sort-of(?) helped. However, knowing where to find players is REALLY essential. Currently, the whitelisting-related rule info is a mandatory read. It outlines the rules and gives you all sorts of potential RP scenarios as it outlines how you should behave. And to be honest, that video guide was fucking rad. Got me really hyped for the server, and maybe got me expecting too much from it. Naturally, it was a letdown to not see any players for a really long time, despite high pop.

Some of you guys said you are fine with running around and going solo for awhile- and really, I'm fine with that too, but it's taking REALLY long to find RP. I would have saved a lot of hours if I was given a few tips when I first started off. Maybe some pointers could be included near the end of the whitelisting procedure? Suggestions on where to go, and how to get there. It doesn't have to be overly specific on what you will find- but it should at least nudge you a direction where you can actually meet somebody.

To address the whole IC issue, as I said before, everyone has had their characters surviving for like a year. They have probably met at least a few people during that span, and have probably gained information regarding survivor hubs via travelers and just common knowledge by then.

I spent about a week or so, 10-20 hours before actually meeting up people. When I joined late last summer the hotspot was Severo. Wasn’t really concerned with how far it was. Just don’t get frustrated and continue. Like most people said, check the radio forums and you’ll find some good RP along your journeys.

Maybe some pointers could be included near the end of the whitelisting procedure? Suggestions on where to go, and how to get there. It doesn't have to be overly specific on what you will find- but it should at least nudge you a direction where you can actually meet somebody.

Yeah that wont work, since people and hubs move on an almost weekly basis. I had a hub in Vybor that soon moved to Pogorevka, then shortly after wasnt a thing anymore. In the space of like a week and a half. Just walk around, dude, youll meet someone. Its really not hard.