Server time (UTC): 2020-10-27, 23:04
Sign in to follow this  
Franko

Steam Help

Steam just won't launch at all no matter what method I use. I've tried re-installing it but it still won't fucking open. It will open if I run as admin but if I do that it takes like 20mins to open because its "Updating" and I don't want to have to run as admin anyway, I just want it to launch normally like it used to . Help lol

I've had this problem in the past. The steam app would be running in the background but I couldn't get it to activate. I would go into my task manager and shut down everything with steam. Then I could run it normally after everything was shut down in the task manager without running it in administrator mode try that.

Last time I had this issue it turned out that it was still somehow running in the background despite me having closed it, check your task manager and end process tree on anything steam related. It might fix it

Edit: Damn it @lukaszxe you beat me to it

Edited by Karma

I have noticed this is a issue after updating my Windows version. Sometimes a good ol' reboot of my PC clears up any stuck processes like those mentioning that Steam stays running even after closing it.

If you open your Task Manager shut down all processes related to Steam including the Bootstrap process. That should allow for you to re-boot Steam without issue. 

If push comes to shove, uninstall and reinstall Steam.

I've tried the task manager solution before but it doesn't work

For me, this solution was only temporarily. I had to later change to the steam beta client. You say that you can start your steam in administrator mode. Try that and get into steam. Then to change to the steam beta version. You press steam up in the left corner. Then settings and a small popup should appear and say beta participation. Change to that and opt for it that you want to participate. Hopefully, that will work.

19 minutes ago, lukaszxe said:

For me, this solution was only temporarily. I had to later change to the steam beta client. You say that you can start your steam in administrator mode. Try that and get into steam. Then to change to the steam beta version. You press steam up in the left corner. Then settings and a small popup should appear and say beta participation. Change to that and opt for it that you want to participate. Hopefully, that will work.

Still needs to run as admin on beta mode.

42 minutes ago, Brayces said:

If push comes to shove, uninstall and reinstall Steam.

I've already uninstalled it and installed it again like 5 times and it still doesn't open.

I've never been so frustrated lol

3 minutes ago, Franko said:

Still needs to run as admin on beta mode.

I've already uninstalled it and installed it again like 5 times and it still doesn't open.

I've never been so frustrated lol

Omgar, I would be too!!

Have you cleaned it out completely? Sometimes you gotta go in DEEEEEP and clean out like the Registry files or something insane.

i just gotta ask -- have you tried rebooting?

If you've rebooted try opening task manager, sitting "Services" and locating "Steam Client Service". Go ahead and restart that

yayeetimn.thumb.png.ce5e17784fa4e641b8370bf7bf52aeb7.png

Any other solutions?

Bump. Has this been fixed? If not, follow this guide under "Manually Remove Steam". When editing the registry, make sure to only edit the described entry, because editing anything else has the potential to cause system instability and irreparable damage. Notice the emphasis there, eh?