Server time (UTC): 2020-10-23, 03:03
Sign in to follow this  
Kriss Blade

From SA to Arma 3

Should DayZRP go from Standalone to Arma 3?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This topic has probably been brought up a few times (or more, I have only been here for less than a year) but I think this deserves a little light.

As we all know, .63 DayZ Standalone is around the corner. It could drop tomorrow night, next week, next month or next year. Honestly, no one really knows except the Devs themselves and I've personally supported the Devs that it's become a chore. Recently, as well as today, I've had a conversation with a few community members of the "What Ifs" on switching from SA to Arma 3 and the feedback was rather decent as well as explanations as to why.

Why should we switch it from SA to Arma 3?  Switching from SA to Arma 3 offers countless numbers of new content, bonuses and massive positives for an RP Server. For RP, you get your own choice of map and map size, own choice of mods and staff members get more access to "behind the scene" stuff that could help in reports much more than SA could. Content is pretty self explanatory, but to give a bit of insight, take today's event for example. RP'ing a plane dropping a pod that was RP'd being a damaged barrel and the device being a Suppressor East is very creative and fine, but think of the possibilities you could have. Having Major actually fly the plane/jet as described, having control of where he flies and actually dropping a pod down. Players being able to see the plane in the sky as well, it would just add a greater sense of immersion. As for the other events, just think of seeing bombs drop on a military base or seeing a truck capable of launching a missile instead of having to imagine it there.

Okay, Arma 3 has positives. What are the downsides to Arma 3 and SA? The downside to SA is self explanatory. The devs, as much as they are trying to actively work on .63, simply won't work as much as switching to Arma 3 would. You may have new map additions, new engine, new guns and vehicles which includes the Little Bird, but it may last maybe 2-3 months? Then people will want .64 then .65 and who knows how long it will take them. The downside to SA is that there is not enough and will not be enough immersion or freedom as you would get with Arma 3 for a very long while.

The downsides to Arma 3 though is also pretty fair to see. The optimization is relatively poor, as stated in the reviews for the game itself, and most of the content is locked behind DLC after DLC after DLC. Say we switched to Arma 3 Exile in... 1 week. It's May 29, new change. Guess what? You can't play unless you got Apex. Oh! Rolle added a rifles mod. Sorry... You can't use them unless you have the Marksman DLC. Arma 3 by itself is $39.99 (or 29.7 British Pounds) Apex costs $34.99 (or 25.99 British Pounds). So in order to play proper Arma 3 DayZ without any other mod, you are already paying $74.98 (or 55.68 British Pounds). And this isn't including the tax and as stated, any other mod such as Helicopters, Laws of War, Tanks, Marksman and etc.

The plus though is that they did give you bundles. So instead of paying $142.91 (or 106.13 British Pound), you may possibly be paying $119.96 (or 89.09 British Pound). But let's be honest, not a lot of people would wish to spend $100+ just to play on 1 server. This is the only downside I see.

What can Arma 3 offer DayZRP that SA can't? Quite simply, Arma 3 offers a lot more things than SA could even if it hit update .70. Arma 3 offers a huge array of content and modifications that is practically unlimited. DLC's aside, let us say every community member owned all mods required to play on DayZRP if Rolle switched it to Arma 3 with the mods he wanted (and as well of the community because we all know Rolle loves us) imagine the possibilities and extensive amounts of RP to be had. 100-120 pop server, large map with different areas such as winter plateu, rain forest, desert, etc., base building more extensive than what SA will ever offer, a huge array of aircraft and armoured vehicles for any event our 2 Loremasters can play with, plug-ins and admin tools the staff members given the power could use to easily handle reports, underground bunkers and sea-bases, and more.

I'd just like to say I know this would benefit DayZRP if it switched as I currently run with a Mil-Sim unit known as the 4th MRB under PFC Gauo(http://4thmrb.net/forums/) which is Arma 3 with mods to match the looks, weapons, vehicles and aircraft used for current day U.S Marine Raiders. Each Tuesday training and Sunday Ops are astounding and if placed in DayZRP would bring a whole new light to the server and unlock the potential of RP to be had.

A lot of what you say is repeated and doesn't seem worth it. Why else should we switch? It's quite hard not to repeat myself as pretty much all that is true is listed up above. Pushing aside content and DLC walls along with all the other things listed above, it's simply just change. People do not like change and it's been proven by people not liking certain rules, how events are run and how groups are. Take Anarchy for example. It's pretty 50/50 of people wishing them good luck or giving them a solid yet indirect "Fuck you". If people can't handle that, then it'd be hard to switch but you never know unless you try it. The second server has been down for some time. Why not use that to make it an Arma 3 DayZ Server and see how that runs? If it gets positive feedback and decent activity, keep it up. If not, then take it down.

Rolle and Jim, with the donations themselves, you can run an Arma 3 DayZ server and hire a server techy man/woman to install all the proper mods and plug-ins correctly for 1 month just to see how it runs. This is in no way flaming or an insult, it's just common knowledge and math skills. With the amount of people with Tycoon and the monthly $12+ donations, an Arma 3 DayZ server shouldn't be that bad to run for a month to see how well it does. This probably was a side project at some point and this topic was probably brought up at some point but both were just rejected or never completed, so why not start or start again? I just personally feel, as well as behalf of some community members, would love to see the popular DayZRP switch to Arma 3 to see what it can do.

One of these again.

Nah its never gonna happen 

People have tried 

Pretty much what Boris said tbh.

It's been tried before and it never works plus the community is called DAYZ RP not Arma 3 

Furthermore i don't think Arma is very catered towards rp just doesn't feel right at least for me. 

While Arma is fun I don't think it's good for rp or our community 

When modding is added to dayz most issues will become redundant and hopefully creativity can grow a little.

Arma is what it is - A military simulation, no matter that mod with great features you use. The movement, the design - just everything.
Nothing wrong with that but playing a civilian and behaving like a soldier wouldnt feel right. Just my two cents.

Calling in @The Traveler and @HenningRP .

I would like this to happen, but i again it has happened and failed on few occasions. 

DayZRP without the DayZ.. Not going to happen, nor will it ever work.. There have been endless amounts of threads for us to go to Arma 3 and it would be pointless and stupid.. Especially considering that DayZ is about to hit BETA and modding will be added, it would be like giving up a chocolate cake for a carrot..

Edited by Lucass

This isn't gonna happen no matter how many threads and polls go up on the subject.

-1 Nein danke.

As others have stated above I don't see this ever happening again. Two attempts have been made in the past with both failing so we can only hope the devs are close to a Beta release with mod support not to far behind it. 

This again? 

The big man has already said no.

No, as much as I want it major is right.

Lol like everyone else said this isn't gonna happen.. The entire community is built of the SA, sadly.

I don't think it should be on Arma 3 at all. We would not be called DayZRP if it was and I don't see the point in changing when .63 is around the corner. 

.63 and modding are close, no reason to change to Arma 3

Not going to bother reading this wall of text and I'll just simply say no. First cause it's DayZRP for it being an actual DayZ and secondly....i don't fucken own arma

Allow me to chime in from Staff.

Roland has said "Sure!" before, and even set up a server for A3. No one played, well very little did. 

You can even still see the Forums under the Side Projects area. People can say this and that about why they didn't play, but the point is no. We're not going to A3 anytime soon. .63 is soon to be out and we will need to focus on that first. 

13 minutes ago, Hardwired said:

I don't think it should be on Arma 3 at all. We would not be called DayZRP if it was and I don't see the point in changing when .63 is around the corner. 

but it was DayZRP when we were on Arma 2,  feels like people have a disliking for arma 3 maybe because it's very military or an undying allegiance to the sinking standalone ship.

3 minutes ago, Dom Is Dead said:

disliking for arma 3

I don't dislike the game, I just personally in my opinion prefer how standalone works and I believe it will improve when mod compatibility is about in the future. DayZ was also a recognized mod back in Arma 2 and eventually became it's own steam download. If we shifted over to Arma 3 we just wouldn't get the same feel or recognition. From my own experience, many newcomers arrive here and say that they love how SA works and that they came to DayZRP specifically to experience RP on SA.

Edited by Hardwired

But we are DayZRP and there is no DayZ mod for ArmA3.

tenor.gif

But for real. Everyone in this thread is right. When Rolle put up a server, nobody played. Nobody wanted to. Despite all the shit DayZ SA gets, most will never go back to Arma the way they used to. DayZ is a much more refined game than its mod counterparts. 

Not to mention, I don't want to download 20 gigs of content just to roleplay when I have a SA game

Edited by -Chow-

ArmAs great and all... but its a ballache to get everyone to download the same mods, packs etc when we can just click play and get ingame.

In my dreams.

People cling to dayz like their lives depend on it in this community even though it's an objectively shit game. 

Maybe when the devs officially announced that they are abandoning development for days or "release" it and stop development then we will get arma. 

I'd personally love an Arma 3 RP server. Potentially it has infinitely more depth than DayZ SA due to modding and engine stability...

Keyword here is "potentially"

Just like the potential for said Arma 3 server  to be dead within a month is pretty much a guarantee. History is proof of this unfortunately ?

Reverting to mod has been suggested before and shot down before. -1 again.