Server time (UTC): 2020-10-28, 05:40
Sign in to follow this  
Anxiety

Land line phones in Dayz SA

So recently I was thinking, the world of chernarus has a lot of cord phones laying around and the phones use land lines, which don't require power... so as long as you knew or know the number to where you want to call, you technically could.....

Just a random thought, I could see that being fun for RP if people actually wanted to do something like that ?

Guest Roach

Would be fun but in an outbreak like this, the phone company would be closed and non-operational. You may not need power at home, but the company providing connections between calls needs the power to operate the transmissions/call transfers. Without staff either, well, unfortunately this would be impossible. 

Basically what Roach has said, Operators would be needed

"how do I kill someones hopes and dreams?" *insert common logic* "well shit"

4 hours ago, Hephaestus said:

land lines, which don't require power.

?? Nothing works without power. Landlines are supplied from call centers with 48V DC. 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

?? Nothing works without power. Landlines are supplied from call centers with 48V DC. 

Landlines may still work during a power outage

3 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Landlines may still work during a power outage

Landlines are supplied from call centers with 48V DC. 

Power flows from the call centre to your phone via the phone line. That's where the power comes from. It must have electricity to function

[...] Power is sent to the phones through the phone line from the power companies. The power companies have battery backup and backup generators so that their operations can continue for well over a week during a power outage. (source)

Dang, I'm being educated right now...

but I like it, the more you know ?

Even if it worked by some magical powers it sounds like a big pain the ass to develop...

What about bean cans with long as strings on them?

You can always build a phone out of two cups and a string. Now that doesn't require power

We need He-Man in this bitch. He is always bragging about still having power. Maybe he can hook us up.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:42 AM, Roland said:

If someone wanted to though, could they make a group that's goal is to get the phone lines back up and running or is that power gaming the lore / game? ?

Nope, not landlines because as Rolle said they require power. We have established there is a cell tower inside Russia but the reception is terrible. There is one in Miroslavl and the reception is much better. If you have a charged cell phone you could reasonably get reception and we have even done character calls to certain parts of the world before, we just have to know where you want to call and give you a response. It's a bit table top but we have to do that to get away with stuff like that.

Lemme know if you wanna do that.

You can always resort to typical trench warfare where you lay the line yourself and use a system like the one i've posted below, it uses a hand crank system to generate the power if you're really into this 
so if you wanna do a land line system this way, you can, all you need are two copper cables and the proper
"phones".

Edit:

I had to come back and add something, after a recollection of information.

Using a pizoelectic system is actually how these phones work, what happens is when you speak into them it causes a disk to flex and create energy.

The receiving ends pizoelectic speaker then flexes to create sounds.

Was just falling asleep when I recalled.

The crank just makes the receiving ends ringer go off.

Hope this helps.
172476_ts.jpg

Edited by UncleB

9 hours ago, Major said:

Nope, not landlines because as Rolle said they require power. We have established there is a cell tower inside Russia but the reception is terrible. There is one in Miroslavl and the reception is much better. If you have a charged cell phone you could reasonably get reception and we have even done character calls to certain parts of the world before, we just have to know where you want to call and give you a response. It's a bit table top but we have to do that to get away with stuff like that.

Lemme know if you wanna do that.

Like Major said, if you plan it with him I'd be more than happy to send out a RCON for you. Etc, etc. ?

I think it would be awesome if pagers still worked just so i could have this ringtone

Ringtone