Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 01:46
Sign in to follow this  
isaac lineheart

Merko Inn (A stopping Place)

Recommended Posts

After my last post a couple of days ago, 

 

and the mass doubt of success. even though there is a mass doubt i feel like this could be a idea i would love to see.  from thinking i have come to this idea. A hotel/ Inn . the Merko inn ( not final idea name) this would be a place where players can come and have mass different types of RP. Now what do i mean.Well, my thought on this is to have a place where players can come and have RP from Drinking,campfire,gear trading, medical etc. this place would be a location that isnt big, and zombies would not be around much.  ( haven't thought of a place yet) along with this, it could be a middle ground place for player and big group "could" talk out stuff ( but if they just want to kill each other go ahead ).along with this with .63 on the rise and stress test 7 coming out i can see when base building put in, a idea like this could grow even more.

( this isn't a safe zone idea! Just a store/ stopping place for rp)

what do you think? 

you have any question you know what to do 

Share this post


Link to post

Are you implying enforces rules like a strictly non-hostile zone? How do you plan to enforce that? There cant be some IC magical barrier that prevents guns from firing and such... Would you explain a bit more in depth?

Share this post


Link to post

If it's a safe zone, no. It died off fast because it was boring as fuck and just prohibited more OOCly when it came to RP.

Share this post


Link to post

Safe zones are too restrictive and not having safe zones is what makes our community unique, its a -1 for me, last thing we need is a place where people can trash talk and be safe while doing it.

Share this post


Link to post

Mkay, let me tell you what's wrong with this, at least from my experience in-game, and I spend around 2-4 hours a day IG.

Mass different types of RP? No, it will have campfire RP, where characters tell their slightly [ridiculously] dramatic stories of how they got r*ped [censoring for all those sensitive fellas], beaten, left by their parents, forced to kill or simply how they have 3 mental problems all together, even though it's not explained how that's even possible. That's the kind of RP you will get 90% of the time.

Also you have no idea how hard you are restricting hostile role players. People can just run to the safe zone and be like HAHAHA YOU CANT GET ME NOW, SUCK IT! Why should the hostile type of role play suffer for your enjoyment of peaceful roleplay? Says DayzRP, not Peaceful Roleplaying Community With Minimal Hostilities.

 

Share this post


Link to post

yeah imo safe zones and shit are boring and take away from the RP. Hostile RP is a big part of the server and by restricting that it just takes away from realism. 

Share this post


Link to post

In the guide I wrote (Please... some one read it... I have a wife and two kids I need to feed.... to my pet bear... ? ) I mention how it is the soul responsibility of the settlement owner to make varied RP. 

Natural events such as: 

-Expeditions to new areas on hearsay of something special where you hire x amount of people who have come to the settlement that day (Like say for example a printing press or a weapons cache

-A member of the settlement is in need of a medication like insulin and the only known place it still exists is (insert town here), mission to get it in time

-A hunting competition is organised with the settlement as the host. 

etc etc etc
or else it just becomes as others have said, sitting around all day. 

Now this level of effort into a settlement everyday is simply too taxing on any group, so I also doubly propose if one truly wants to do this? Yeah make it a "certain day/days of the week" sort of settlement. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, The Traveler said:

In the guide I wrote (Please... some one read it... I have a wife and two kids I need to feed.... to my pet bear... ? ) I mention how it is the soul responsibility of the settlement owner to make varied RP. 

Natural events such as: 

-Expeditions to new areas on hearsay of something special where you hire x amount of people who have come to the settlement that day (Like say for example a printing press or a weapons cache

-A member of the settlement is in need of a medication like insulin and the only known place it still exists is (insert town here), mission to get it in time

-A hunting competition is organised with the settlement as the host. 

etc etc etc
or else it just becomes as others have said, sitting around all day. 

Now this level of effort into a settlement everyday is simply too taxing on any group, so I also doubly propose if one truly wants to do this? Yeah make it a "certain day/days of the week" sort of settlement. 

 

^ it's just not interesting enough to implement. things like hospitals and such are interesting, but just a generic hotel or something... eh

1 minute ago, The Traveler said:

(Please... some one read it... I have a wife and two kids I need to feed.... to my pet bear... ? )

no

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Whitename said:

^ it's just not interesting enough to implement. things like hospitals and such are interesting, but just a generic hotel or something... eh

no

I disagree, you can make any concept work if you really graft to it. Fuck me we had so many different ideas back in the [THIS WORD HAS BEEN REDACTED BY ROLLE BY-LAW 7213] days... and it was due to pure graft and interesting stuff being planned. 
You wanted a settlement? You make it bloody interesting and have a point. You work with other players, staff, LM's etc etc to give your place purpose and excitement. 

I barely see that nowadays. 
Just "poof, here's my settlement...." and that's it .

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Taryn said:

Are you implying enforces rules like a strictly non-hostile zone? How do you plan to enforce that? There cant be some IC magical barrier that prevents guns from firing and such... Would you explain a bit more in depth?

I don't mean a safe zone, but a place if party groups want to have as a meeting ground

Share this post


Link to post

This idea is meant for those who want to have rp and have, I cannot promise that people will not pick fights and kill one another. ( so not a safe zone) but it's a place where multiple forms of RP and things can be done. If you have further questions please directly message me.

Share this post


Link to post

That sounds just like a hub. 

We have had many of them in Dayzrp. Now, not all of them failed, and they do bring a huge amount of RP to the server, but sooner or later the area will be overrun with hostile groups (they go for the roleplay areas.) Which is great for further roleplay. But it usually causes the town or facility to become a hot zone for trouble, then the hub moves. Then everything repeats. 

 

No one is stopping you from making a hub, power to you, but it will attract attention and it will eventually move to a "quieter" part of the map. It happens all the time.  

Share this post


Link to post

Basically what Buddha said. There are tons of hubs popping up all the time. You just have to listen to radio posts and figure out where everyone is. Right now its Pavlovo. 

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if there's any pattern as to how long these places last.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Pickle said:

I wonder if there's any pattern as to how long these places last.

At most, a month or two. Longest one was Severograd, this lore wipe. I believe that was about two months. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Pickle said:

I wonder if there's any pattern as to how long these places last.

These places last as long as you and whoever travels with you maintain them. 

 

There are many factors against you, Bandits, Civilians, Police, Nationalists. Some will not want compromise and will seem like they just wish you out of the country. OTher people will show up and sit and say nothing for hours. Others will sneak around and steal everything you have in tents. Some people will even take the tents.  You Will be initiated on, people will rob you, and some people will make crazy accusations against you. You may even get tortured and told to leave the area.  If you can take all this in stride any place you make will last until you quit.

 

The free medics did this for a few years. It was a different game them (literally). We had sandbags and wire we could place down and that was nice, we could also make permanent changes to areas of the map through the editor and Rolle could add a real base for you and your friends. Sadly no more. Perhaps in a few years.

 

I say make an attempt and keep it all IC. goodluck.

Edited by SweetJoe

Share this post


Link to post

It basically comes down to the old adage:

"Si vis pacem, para bellum." 

It means "If you want peace, prepare for war."  You have to ensure you are prepared to defend yourself against any hostile group or individuals and be able to secure the area 24/7. You have to be able to police the area, ensuring those within follow the rules and are safe. You also have to provide RP within the area. That is a tall order.

Grabbing control of an island would be best for security from outside attacks, not entirely, but best. The size of the settlement would dictate the size of the security required, a whole town would need half the server to be on 24/7, just to ensure no one is sneaking in to fuck shit up. As you would need teams outside the town and all around the town at all times to prevent any undesirables from sneaking in, or a hostile group from retreating after a gunfight. 

One building would be easier to defend, but it would need to be a very large building to accommodate the roleplayers coming into the area to roleplay. 

But sadly, this all turns you from a peaceful group to a heavily armed and (hopefully) skilled mini government. A power some people will be all to happy to either take or steal from you. Or at least try. 

Edited by The Buddha

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, The Buddha said:

It basically comes down to the old adage:

"Si vis pacem, para bellum." 

It means "If you want peace, prepare for war."  You have to ensure you are prepared to defend yourself against any hostile group or individuals and be able to secure the area 24/7. You have to be able to police the area, ensuring those within follow the rules and are safe. You also have to provide RP within the area. That is a tall order.

Grabbing control of an island would be best for security from outside attacks, not entirely, but best. The size of the settlement would dictate the size of the security required, a whole town would need half the server to be on 24/7, just to ensure no one is sneaking in to fuck shit up. As you would need teams outside the town and all around the town at all times to prevent any undesirables from sneaking in, or a hostile group from retreating after a gunfight. 

One building would be easier to defend, but it would need to be a very large building to accommodate the roleplayers coming into the area to roleplay. 

But sadly, this all turns you from a peaceful group to a heavily armed and (hopefully) skilled mini government. A power some people will be all to happy to either take or steal from you. Or at least try. 

I disagree.  Hostile groups, some anyway, want a fight, so if you prepare for war and fight them...you will lose.

 

Best to be friendly to all and a pacifist.  if you want a hub to work. Make people feel bad for hurting you, make people outraged that people hurt you because they like you. let the people of the nation defend you because they like you. Let the bandits defend you because they feel guilt when they think of hurting you. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, The Buddha said:

It basically comes down to the old adage:

"Si vis pacem, para bellum." 

It means "If you want peace, prepare for war."  You have to ensure you are prepared to defend yourself against any hostile group or individuals and be able to secure the area 24/7. You have to be able to police the area, ensuring those within follow the rules and are safe. You also have to provide RP within the area. That is a tall order.

Grabbing control of an island would be best for security from outside attacks, not entirely, but best. The size of the settlement would dictate the size of the security required, a whole town would need half the server to be on 24/7, just to ensure no one is sneaking in to fuck shit up. As you would need teams outside the town and all around the town at all times to prevent any undesirables from sneaking in, or a hostile group from retreating after a gunfight. 

One building would be easier to defend, but it would need to be a very large building to accommodate the roleplayers coming into the area to roleplay. 

But sadly, this all turns you from a peaceful group to a heavily armed and (hopefully) skilled mini government. A power some people will be all to happy to try and either take or steal from you. Or at least try. 

Thanks for the comment. 

 

Personally I'm not speaking this to blow up in the next day or two. I want this idea to be an area where you know I've enjoyed it short-term and I know it's going to fall apart in the end. 

But it would be something to be remembered. something I can remember on my personal character

Also for protection I've already kind of thought how I want to do that and stash goods. ( don't going to say cuz don't want me stuff taken lol -_- ) along with that I'm probably going to bring this idea in about a week or two. 

 

1 minute ago, SweetJoe said:

I disagree.  Hostile groups, some anyway, want a fight, so if you prepare for war and fight them...you will lose.

 

Best to be friendly to all and a pacifist.  if you want a hub to work. Make people feel bad for hurting you, make people outraged that people hurt you because they like you. let the people of the nation defend you because they like you. Let the bandits defend you because they feel guilt when they think of hurting you. 

Sweet Joe, that's a brilliant way to look at it. 

I remember the days at kovars, and when their little girl went missing and everyone went out looking for her. That was a sense of community. A random group of people no matter their character design came together to seek out and help. I this idea may not be the next kovars, but with the right i think it could be something. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, SweetJoe said:

I disagree.  Hostile groups, some anyway, want a fight, so if you prepare for war and fight them...you will lose.

 

Best to be friendly to all and a pacifist.  if you want a hub to work. Make people feel bad for hurting you, make people outraged that people hurt you because they like you. let the people of the nation defend you because they like you. Let the bandits defend you because they feel guilt when they think of hurting you. 

Ehhhhh, I mean yeah it is true. But it really only worked once from what I know - with Free Medics, back in mod. Back then yes, bandits really did not initiate on these guys because they were unarmed and posed no threat and were actually universally liked by majority of the server. But since then I don't think that has been repeated, there's always some bandit group that just doesn't give af who or what and just wants to get that forced hostile RP done or initiate.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Rolle said:

Ehhhhh, I mean yeah it is true. But it really only worked once from what I know - with Free Medics, back in mod. Back then yes, bandits really did not initiate on these guys because they were unarmed and posed no threat and were actually universally liked by majority of the server. But since then I don't think that has been repeated, there's always some bandit group that just doesn't give af who or what and just wants to get that forced hostile RP done or initiate.

You'll find as of recent that with groups that have attempted to do what the Free Medics attempted to do have a security force that create most of the problems for them, just last night a group that is trying to remain neutral among everyone, had their security initiate on a few of Riptide members after they big dicked for a good few minutes, lets not pin everything on Hostile RPers as usual, pretty please.

Edited by Mexi

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Rolle said:

Ehhhhh, I mean yeah it is true. But it really only worked once from what I know - with Free Medics, back in mod. Back then yes, bandits really did not initiate on these guys because they were unarmed and posed no threat and were actually universally liked by majority of the server. But since then I don't think that has been repeated, there's always some bandit group that just doesn't give af who or what and just wants to get that forced hostile RP done or initiate.

No, FM got robbed 10 times a day. Gear didnt matter, all tents were emptied daily.  The FM kicked you out if you fought back, compliance was mandatory.  Weapons were for zeds and killing eachother on the weekends.  Free Medics survived through guilt, Resilience, and compliance, And they were angry when we made the Free Medic Defense Squad, which was a few years after they first formed mind you.  B17 Loved to rob the FM. It was an easy way to regear with minimal risk, even on an IC level. Most often they seemed guilty in game and gave multiple chances for back talking because 8 out of 10 of the B17 seemed to not want to kill them.   The Key is building a relationship with the dominate characters to where you are no longer a threat. 

 

Thing is, I have really seen Pacifist characters create a zone and attempt what the Free Medics have done. The lack of building really is a hindrance, its hard to make a place your own when all you can do is put down tents that will be wiped monthly and be stolen nearly weekly.  I am glad you have went more lax on the tent city rules.

Share this post


Link to post

Safe zones a no-no in my book. I was all for it before it was all implemented but after seeing it in practice I don't see that it would serve any purpose at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, lukaszxe said:

Safe zones a no-no in my book. I was all for it before it was all implemented but after seeing it in practice I don't see that it would serve any purpose at the moment.

he didnt say safe zone bruv.  Just a Zone where people can feel safe enough to gather and trade.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, SweetJoe said:

he didnt say safe zone bruv.  Just a Zone where people can feel safe enough to gather and trade.

 So.. A safe zone..

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...