Server time (UTC): 2020-10-20, 11:30
Sign in to follow this  
Mace

The fire's still burning [211.235MHz, 2m band, open]

There was a moment when the channel flickered to life, followed by another of dead air. Finally, after a small pause, the crackle and whine of what must have been a less-than-new radio breaking through, a soft, quiet tenor speaking over the band.

"Howdy folks. If you know me, I'm glad to hear you're still alive. Here's hoping the warm months are easier on us than the cold was. If you don't, well, I'm coming out of hibernation soon. I'll see about getting some of my survival lessons back on the waves for folks who might still need them. Stay safe, keep bundled up even if it is a bit warm, and remember we're all still human."

The simple, short transmission cut off without any great fanfare besides the apparently signature farewell of the speaker, leaving the message as a small blip in the day of those who might have caught it.

Franklin throws on a new york accent and presses down the PTT slowly.

"Don't know ya, but stay safe out there friend."
"Name's Vince."

He releases the PTT and lifts up his mask to scratch his horseshoe style mustache.

The tell-tale crackle of the man's radio broke the dead air on the frequency, followed as usual by the soft, southern tenor. 

"Vince, hope you do the same. And to you, and everyone else, I'd like to say that, thanks to some friendly people that I've done a bit of fishing for, I actually have a bit of leather finished up from my last batch that had been worked on before my workshop was brought down by a wandering herd. I figure that, with the new frequency, the new faces, and the new traveling work I'll be doing, I ought to get a fresh wave of introductions out of the way first.

The name's Mason, or just Mace, and you've probably seen me around walking in the leather clothes I've been making since before the chill set in last year. Because I have some spare leather, I'm willing to make some clothing or simple accessories like a backpack or waterskin, for those who are interested. I'm always looking for leather working kits to help with the work, and a barrel of my own so I don't have to rely on anyone else's generosity. It also seems there's no shortage of damn wolves out here to keep me in pelts for a while. 

So what is it I'm offering? Leather jackets, multi-pocketed vests, pants, moccasins, even some simple bucket hats, and as I said before, backpacks and water skins. Just for the sake of coming down on specifics, all of my clothing is double-layered and available to be padded with whatever material you like. I like to use some of the shredded clothes I find as insulation during colder months, or if I'm doing something out at night on the coast. I try to keep everything adjustable, able to be loosened or tightened to fit most frames, since I'm not quite good at making bespoke garments, yet. 

If you need something don't be afraid to tune in and let me know, or look for me out and about. I'm usually wearing my leathers, or a pink raincoat, and I found a nice, bright orange boonie cap now that it's getting warmer again and my ushanka is getting sweaty. I'm also offering leather working lessons, as well as basic survival lessons and a few other things I happen to have snippets of knowledge about."

The air went silent for a moment, giving the speaker a moment to take a drink before continuing.

"Stay safe out there. If you need help I'm happy to do what I can. Take care folks."

Fae stared at her radio. There was a voice she hadn't heard for quite some time, it brought a smile to her face.

"
Mason! You're alive! 
God, it's good to hear your voice!

You might want to head to Pavlovo, they have a bunch of barrels that don't seem to be being used.
Be safe out there though, Mace
,there's some dangerous people about"

"Well listen to you."

The voice belied the smile on the speaker's face at the sound of the woman's voice.

"Good to hear you're still around too. I am actually already close to the area so I might head in and see what's going on. Hope to see you again soon, and you stay safe as well. I've already got some food cooked up so we'll have a nice meal and catch up."

She laughed into her radio, happy to hear that one of her friends is doing well at least. 
It was nice to hear a familiar voice over the radio for once.
"
You should know by now it takes a fair bit to knock me on my ass, Mace!
I'm around there too, so I might run down and 
try catch up with you.
I've missed your cooking!"

Edited by Genji

*A deep mans voice with a noticeable accent comes across the frequency*

Mason...good to hear all is oks with you. I still have that bags you made me...it's a little bit...worn...but still good. You still at last place you live? I look there couple times...didn't see much signs of life. I'm sure Lily flower will be happy to know you are good...Hope to see you soon!

Edited by Simon

*Ford smiled as he heard his old friend and teacher on the radio. It had been some time since he had last heard or seen the man. So much had happened in the intervening weeks that he almost thought he should let old ghosts be and just be happy in the knowledge that Mason still lived. Curiosity, however, did not just kill the fabled cat, but the human race as well. Ford picked up his radio and pressed the PTT, pausing before speaking.*

"Mason do you copy? This is Ford. I repeat, this is Ford. It's good to hear you're still choking on all this fresh air. I thought perhaps you found your way to somewhere safer or more populated. If you'd like to catch up, maybe have a bit of fish or steak, jaw about what's been happening, just let me know. I'll stay on this channel for a while. Battery seems strong. Either way...."

*There is silence for a few seconds as Ford clears his throat*

"Damn glad you're okay."

"Ford out."

*Transmission ends*

Sign in to follow this