Server time (UTC): 2020-10-28, 02:25
Sign in to follow this  
Dank Mems

Chinese Character Glitch

I've tried everything I can think of, I have no clue what to do. So basically I loaded up Dayz in full screen, got in the game, tried to move and press escape and use all of the keys on my keyboard and it didn't work. So I switched keyboards and it still didn't work. After that, I loaded up Dayz in window mode and it said "Dayz" in the top left corner of the window, like it should. Then I hopped in the game and pressed W to move and the "Dayz" in the top left corner turned into a bunch of Chinese/Japanese/Korean letters (couldn't tell what language) and the problem still kept happening, I could use my mouse but not my keyboard. Couldn't press escape or anything.

I've tried restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling Dayz, and verifying the game files. and before you ask, no I have not edited my Dayz files in any way at all. Either my game is fucked or Kim Jong Un is coming for me. Please help.

https://imgur.com/JfpySvQ  (Screenshot)

https://imgur.com/h7kN5md  (Screenshot zoomed in on weird Asian characters)

Edited by Dank Mems

Long shot in the dark but (if you have win10) have you tried using Start key + space bar to "switch keyboard layout" so to speak?

Also can I get a screenshot of your game window and your desktop toolbar? (With the start icon and all that jazz)

Edited by Chewy

That's so weird... Does this happen on any other game so to speak?

1.png.b5f6ba2deaf72842f82c94ea909683ac.png2.png.788a225dac3da052cfc0dfb5769a39ec.png3.png.75a7813b53dbf2e8e9c853d4cffff0c6.png

6 minutes ago, Dank Mems said:

what does that do @Strawberry?

Changes your game language. Worth a try.

1 minute ago, Dank Mems said:

@Strawberry Thanks for trying but it didn't help, it actually added more of those Asian letters lol

Go to your windows settings and get rid of any extra languages or add-ons. Just leave English, that should fix it. A hundred percent. 

4 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Changes your game language. Worth a try.

Go to your windows settings and get rid of any extra languages or add-ons. Just leave English, that should fix it. A hundred percent. 

Yeah English is the only one in windows settings and dayz settings

5 minutes ago, Dank Mems said:

Yeah English is the only one in windows settings and dayz settings

My only last solution would be to check if there was any kind of language converter/translator running in the background aka check your task manager for anything that can convert language. While your game is running that is.

Edited by Strawberry

I wanted to take a look, but you're screenshots are gone now. ?

Ensure you have no virtual Keyboards or any applications currently running that affect keyboard input. Any sort of games, or mods, etc. 

Guest Roach

Less than 1 week from starting our group and you have this issue ? I understand your frustration. As I have said on Discord and for the sake of putting here in case it works for someone else. Try switching to experimental and then back. Or try the stress test or the new Offline mode.

Stress Test: https://dayz.com/blog/0-63-stress-tests

Experimental: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFPPXE5JIYw

Offline Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_o_i8b66NY

I just hope for your sake that you do not need a fresh Windows install. But before I would do that (if nothing I said above works) try to do a registry cleanup after uninstalling dayz to see if that works. It's such a weird issue that I have never heard of before.

Edited by Roach

Hmm I don’t know why the screen shots are gone, I’m gonna try some more things. Thanks for all the suggestions ?

Edited by Dank Mems

So umm shit just fixed itself, thanks guys haha. Basically, Discord was fucking with my game and I just put it in window mode and it works lol, the Chinese shit is still there but my game works so I don't really care.

Edited by Dank Mems

6 hours ago, Dank Mems said:

So umm shit just fixed itself, thanks guys haha. Basically, Discord was fucking with my game and I just put it in window mode and it works lol, the Chinese shit is still there but my game works so I don't really care.

Discord causes issues for DayZ and R6S. Sorry, if I knew that you had other apps open I would have responded! I just had no clue at all so I stayed hush. 

If this issue happens again (or for others who tried closing Discord) try closing Overwolf or anybody other Overlay application. The Chinese characters happens to me too and is separate from the keyboard issue.