Server time (UTC): 2020-10-30, 23:10 HALLOWEEN SALE
Sign in to follow this  
N-Tox

[GUIDE] How to be a doctor (IG Mechanics Guide)

I couldn't find a guide similar to this but if I missed it feel free to delete this thread.
(I would have screen shots to demonstrate this better but I couldn't be fucked to go get them.)

As the title says, if you don't want to get one tapped by a zombie here's how you significantly lower you chances of it happening.
(Thanks to @Shazzzam for the specific details to make the guide more complete)

Here is a kinda detailed list of your option to healing yourself and staying alive.

Traditional Method
- Eat apples or other food and drink until you are energized and healthy
- Dark green ENERGIZED and HYDRATED  will regenerate 1 blood per second
- Light green ENERGIZED and (if you want it can be dark green) HYDRATED will regenerate 3 blood per second
- Once you have the status HEALTHY you will begin to regenerate bone health
- The process of regenerating bone health is very slow and make take a few IRL days. 

The Slightly Faster Method
- Use saline to regenerate blood
- Regain bone damage with the healthy status

Below are some notes about sickness from @Shazzzam, which are directly copy pasted from his post. 

I also wanna clear that making your character puke during a disease or poisoning [food/chemical] will cause the game to glitch and remove the SICK status, but it's just a glitch to remove the tab. Sickness stays, it will re-appear when the sickness progresses into the next stage. Each form of sickness has 4 stages and 3 types of how bad it can be. Most of them will cause you to lose water/s and in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stage, depending on how severe it is, you lose blood and in rare cases, HP as well. 

Some forms of meds can help EASE the disease, like charcoal tabs when you have chemical poisoning and tetracycline antibiotics when you have bacterial infection. But they only help the 1st and 2nd stage come and go without effects, you still need to endure 3rd and 4rth. All sicknesses must be endured until they expire, or you expire [die]. They can last from an hour total to 30+ REAL LIFE hours [cholera/drinking from ponds].

Only thing that can be stopped before it hurts you is when you use a DAMAGED/BADLY DAMAGED rag or sewing kit to stop bleeding. Your wounds could get infected and applying alcohol tincture will clean your wounds and prevent the infection.

Having a disease will always make your screen go gray, but that does not mean that you are low on blood or something, it's because you are sick.

Some notes about surviving bullet wounds also from @Shazzzam
Shots pretty much remove health, blood AND cause shock. If shock is higher than blood, you get knocked unconscious. Taking excessive bone damage may apply additional shock on top of the normal one received. Often when you get shot, you die due to your central bone damage reaching 0, rather than your health or blood reaching 0.

Now how to avoid headshots. Helmets. Most regular helmets absorb up to 5000 shock, with military-grade ones absorbing up to 10000 shock, with the highest one being Gorka Helmet + Visor 15000 shock protection. W/o visor it is 10000. Each punch, melee hit on the head generates a flat 5000 amount of shock. Gorka helmet/Ballistic Helmet/UN Helmet/Ssh 68 Helmet may absorb up to two consecutive hits without you going unconscious. The moment you receive shock, you start to lose it, but slowly. I have personally tested this, you can try it too. Side hits to these helmets however, might penetrate the protection. Front, upper and behind hits make the most of the protective properties of the helmets. A shot from a pistol to the side of a Gorka helmet w/ Visor will kill you instantly. A shot to the front/back/top will protect you from shock, bleeding and death. You will sustain no damage, but the helmet will most likely be ruined or badly damage at best. Usually most headshots with guns kill if no helmet is present, but sometimes they might send you unconscious instead, if the caliber is low [.22, .380] and there is sufficient distance, but point blank hits will kill you without a doubt, if no protection is present.

Now for body shots. Each shot generates 50 shock, makes you lose about 50-300 blood and same amount of health. Addition shock is applied depending on bone damage taken. Death from chest shots is due to losing too much bone health in most cases, regardless of HEALTHY status, max blood etc etc.

How to not get one-shot in a firefight? Military-grade helmet, Press Vest or Plate Carrier and make sure you haven't been hit around 20-30 times by NPCs recently. If you have low enough bone health, a shot to the leg might kill you.

Also to add one more thing. BLEEDING.

When you bleed, you lose a MINIMUM of 5 blood/s. At the other second, you might end up losing around 30 blood. It is random, but no more than 50 I think. Bleeding stacks, you can bleed from multiple places, should be easily identified by simply looking at how many places your character has blood coming from. Treating your wounds in any way though, fixes all those bleedings. 

TL;DR
Stay hydrated and energized to regain blood naturally.

Please correct any mistakes and I'll update the OP

Edited by N-Tox
added a lot from shazzzams post

Having on pristine headgear and face wear also helps a bunch. Those items on your face will take most of the damage from a bullet. Ex: Hat/Helmet w/ Bandana & Glasses/Sunglasses

5 minutes ago, Jadeboat said:

Having on pristine headgear and face wear also helps a bunch. Those items on your face will take most of the damage from a bullet. Ex: Hat/Helmet w/ Bandana & Glasses/Sunglasses

Yee forgot about that

Everything here makes no difference, the vast majority of the time a headshot is a killshot. 

If you go uncon, or survive you might aswell be dead (and you're lucky as fuck).

This would more or less fall under a survival guide more than avoiding 'one taps'.

22 minutes ago, Mexi said:

Everything here makes no difference, the vast majority of the time a headshot is a killshot. 

If you go uncon, or survive you might aswell be dead (and you're lucky as fuck).

This would more or less fall under a survival guide more than avoiding 'one taps'.

my main idea was for zombie one taps, since people complain about it a lot

If you want to survive a head shot wear a ballistic helmet ? 

Read wiki for complete accuracy. 

Bone damage received from limbs and parts of body lowers TOTAL BONE HEALTH. When that reaches 0 you die. People think there are invisible zombies or crap like that, or one shot zombies. That doesn't exist. You being healthy doesn't mean your bones are fine. Zombie hits stack, eventually you get to healthy but die from 1 zombie hit because your SPINE is at very low health. Morphine and splints heal limbs and bone parts, but total bone health does not improve. Only way to regenerate central bone health is to have HEALTHY status, light green ENERGIZED and dark green HYDRATED. It is super slow, like one or two days of maintaining that status would regenerate your central bone health to the max, from very low.

Furthermore, when you have light green ENERGIZED and dark green HYDRATED you regenerate 3 blood/s. When you have dark green of both you regenerate 1 blood/s.

I also wanna clear that making your character puke during a disease or poisoning [food/chemical] will cause the game to glitch and remove the SICK status, but it's just a glitch to remove the tab. Sickness stays, it will re-appear when the sickness progresses into the next stage. Each form of sickness has 4 stages and 3 types of how bad it can be. Most of them will cause you to lose water/s and in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stage, depending on how severe it is, you lose blood and in rare cases, HP as well. 

Some forms of meds can help EASE the disease, like charcoal tabs when you have chemical poisoning and tetracycline antibiotics when you have bacterial infection. But they only help the 1st and 2nd stage come and go without effects, you still need to endure 3rd and 4rth. All sicknesses must be endured until they expire, or you expire [die]. They can last from an hour total to 30+ REAL LIFE hours [cholera/drinking from ponds].

Only thing that can be stopped before it hurts you is when you use a DAMAGED/BADLY DAMAGED rag or sewing kit to stop bleeding. Your wounds could get infected and applying alcohol tincture will clean your wounds and prevent the infection.

Having a disease will always make your screen go gray, but that does not mean that you are low on blood or something, it's because you are sick.

GUIDE FOR HOW TO SURVIVE SHOTS.

Shots pretty much remove health, blood AND cause shock. If shock is higher than blood, you get knocked unconscious. Taking excessive bone damage may apply additional shock on top of the normal one received. Often when you get shot, you die due to your central bone damage reaching 0, rather than your health or blood reaching 0.

Now how to avoid headshots. Helmets. Most regular helmets absorb up to 5000 shock, with military-grade ones absorbing up to 10000 shock, with the highest one being Gorka Helmet + Visor 15000 shock protection. W/o visor it is 10000. Each punch, melee hit on the head generates a flat 5000 amount of shock. Gorka helmet/Ballistic Helmet/UN Helmet/Ssh 68 Helmet may absorb up to two consecutive hits without you going unconscious. The moment you receive shock, you start to lose it, but slowly. I have personally tested this, you can try it too. Side hits to these helmets however, might penetrate the protection. Front, upper and behind hits make the most of the protective properties of the helmets. A shot from a pistol to the side of a Gorka helmet w/ Visor will kill you instantly. A shot to the front/back/top will protect you from shock, bleeding and death. You will sustain no damage, but the helmet will most likely be ruined or badly damage at best. Usually most headshots with guns kill if no helmet is present, but sometimes they might send you unconscious instead, if the caliber is low [.22, .380] and there is sufficient distance, but point blank hits will kill you without a doubt, if no protection is present.

Now for body shots. Each shot generates 50 shock, makes you lose about 50-300 blood and same amount of health. Addition shock is applied depending on bone damage taken. Death from chest shots is due to losing too much bone health in most cases, regardless of HEALTHY status, max blood etc etc.

How to not get one-shot in a firefight? Military-grade helmet, Press Vest or Plate Carrier and make sure you haven't been hit around 20-30 times by NPCs recently. If you have low enough bone health, a shot to the leg might kill you.

Also to add one more thing. BLEEDING.

When you bleed, you lose a MINIMUM of 5 blood/s. At the other second, you might end up losing around 30 blood. It is random, but no more than 50 I think. Bleeding stacks, you can bleed from multiple places, should be easily identified by simply looking at how many places your character has blood coming from. Treating your wounds in any way though, fixes all those bleedings. 

Edited by Shazzzam

7 minutes ago, Shazzzam said:

Read wiki for complete accuracy. 

Bone damage received from limbs and parts of body lowers TOTAL BONE HEALTH. When that reaches 0 you die. People think there are invisible zombies or crap like that, or one shot zombies. That doesn't exist. You being healthy doesn't mean your bones are fine. Zombie hits stack, eventually you get to healthy but die from 1 zombie hit because your SPINE is at very low health. Morphine and splints heal limbs and bone parts, but total bone health does not improve. Only way to regenerate central bone health is to have HEALTHY status, light green ENERGIZED and dark green HYDRATED. It is super slow, like one or two days of maintaining that status would regenerate your central bone health to the max, from very low.

Furthermore, when you have light green ENERGIZED and dark green HYDRATED you regenerate 3 blood/s. When you have dark green of both you regenerate 1 blood/s.

GUIDE FOR HOW TO SURVIVE SHOTS.

Mind if I integrate all that into the OP?

Go ahead, could be pinned as a universal guide for knowledge of your character in DayZ RP and how not to get fucked and think it's a game glitch, while instead it is player negligence. 

2 hours ago, Shazzzam said:

Go ahead, could be pinned as a universal guide for knowledge of your character in DayZ RP and how not to get fucked and think it's a game glitch, while instead it is player negligence. 

^^ I hear a lot of people complain about dying from glitches, it's a big part of the dayz player base too.

Correction: When you are light green hydrated and light green energized you will regen bone health. You do not receive the healthy stat until your bone health has fully regenerated. (This is from experience If i'm wrong, my bad.)

You got it kinda wrong.

Regenerating bone health needs HEALTHY status + Light green ENERGIZED and dark green HYDRATED.

Also it is not necessary for HYDRATED to be light green so you can regenerate 3 blood/s. For that you only need Light green ENERGIZED, dark green HYDRATED or above.

And the process of regenerating bone health doesn't take a few in-game days. Takes a few IN REAL LIFE days. Like serious 24+ hours in real life or being logged in, with HEALTHY status + Light green ENERGIZED and dark green HYDRATED. It's a bitch to regenerate bone health.

From what I've seen, I don't have low bone status when I have the healthy tag in my menu.

Maybe my bone status isn't full when I have the healthy tag but I'm not at the point of being one shotted or yelling when I log in.

But the evidence is there soooo

Bone damage is an invisible stat, you wouldn't see it on any indicators. Depending on the clothing you have on, and of course the quality of said items, and the position of the strike from your opponent, will determine the bone damage you receive. That is why it is always a good idea to splint or morphine (though splint is way easier) after any confrontation in which you got hit. Even just once. Of course if you survive from a near death attack, then staying clear of zombies and hostile people may be a good idea for a couple days worth of game play. Not saying "don't interact with anyone." More just pick your fights. You may be healthy, but your bone damage is so low one punch to the arm could kill you. Err on the side of caution. 

Nice and quick guide!

Pretty helpful stuff to know tbh. DayZ's status effects are SUPER confusing in standalone.

I never knew that Bone strength regenerated after the healthy status, Thanks for the guide!.

Only thing is, this may be subject to change with the new engine and possible soft skills. But it is great advice for now.

13 minutes ago, The Buddha said:

Only thing is, this may be subject to change with the new engine and possible soft skills. But it is great advice for now.

indeed, either I'll update it or someone will throw up a whole new thread

I think morphine and epinephrine also helps with bone damage.

5 minutes ago, Major said:

An epi pen will bring you round from unconscious, it lowers shock, but not bone damage. 

18 minutes ago, Major said:

Pretty sure morphine is there to fix fractures or broken legs maybe. Although not very realistic, morphine and splints will heal leg and arm injuries i think

8 hours ago, Jadeboat said:

I could be wrong but I don't think stacking apparel such as face masks, glasses, hats, etc works anymore and it hasn't for a long time. Back in the day you could wear sunglasses, balaclava, and a hat and survive a face shot without going uncon. They changed the values of those items though to something like 0.001, so basically useless for protection. 

10 hours ago, Major said:

9 hours ago, The Buddha said:

An epi pen will bring you round from unconscious, it lowers shock, but not bone damage. 

False. Morphine and splints fix limb bone damage [arms, legs, neck, head]. As I said above, receiving damage to your LIMBS will not only break them to the point where you have to crawl, but part of that damage get's absorbed into your SPINE which is the stat for your central bone health. Limbs have their own separate health. Partial damage taken from them is transferred to your spine. Spine health goes 0, you die. Blood goes 0, you die. Health goes 0, you die. That's all there is to it. SPINE health is INVISIBLE. The only way of tracking bone damage is through tabs that say [My arm is broken] [I have a sprained ankle] [My leg is chipped] [My leg is broken]. 

Epinephrine brings a character back from unconsciousness for a little while, but if shock persists to be higher than blood, he will fall unconscious eventually. Another note about this is that, characters fall unconscious when their blood falls lower than 500 regardless of shock amount. Shock could be 0, but if blood is below 500, you fall down and stay that way unless you regenerate blood/get force fed/someone uses saline on you/blood bag.

Why I said that is because if your blood is below 500 [Max blood and max health are 5000 each] being brought back up with an epi-pen will get you up, but the second you stand up you will fall back down into unconsciousness because your lack of blood. It also does not lower shock, shock is lowered naturally and slowly.

And on a completely different note, to add to the total info there is something very interesting about hydration and energy. You regain hydration by drinking, regain energy by eating. Simple.

The interesting thing is though, that the maximum amount of hydration is 4000, where you will achieve light green HYDRATED. The maximum amount of energy though, is 20000, where you will achieve light green energized at 4000 energy, but you can add another insane 16000 on top of that and basically need to worry only about hydration thereafter. Many people probably get the illusion that when they have light green ENERGIZED, they probably reached the maximum amount of food they can eat, but actually it's only 20% of the total energy capacity.

16 hours ago, Zero said:

-snip-

Hmmm useless if you're already unhealthy probably :< I was in a situation where i got shot point blank in the head and went uncon but had someone there to get me up. Everything on my face except my mask was ruined. Sinve then ive always been ubder the impression that the facegear (and being healthy) stopped me from dying instantly ?