Server time (UTC): 2020-10-29, 10:22
Sign in to follow this  
NebulousCass

Dropping a Report

I've seen an example recently of a report that was requested to be dropped by the OP, yet the staff have said that they would make the decision to drop the report or not. Does this really mean that if you throw up a report that the staff can decide to pass down judgement on those in the report (The OP or accused) and give punishments even if those involved have worked it out and no longer want to have the accused punished? 

I've also noticed that those putting up the reports can and have had punishments given against them as well. Do the staff retain the ability to veto the dropping of  a report so they can find a rule break on part of the OP and punish them, even if the report was requested to be dropped by those involved?

Edited by NebulousCass
Clarification

Yes. Depending on the severity of the rulebreak, staff have the right to keep a report open, even if both sides wish it closed. Examples:

Spoiler

These are the two most recent I could find. In situations like these, staff can find punishments deserving of rulebreaks despite the OP no longer taking issue. Offenders who do things like filing a false report, VOIP OOC, trolling, mass KOS, any sort of aggravated rulebreak, etc will generally find their reports staying open. At that point it becomes less about the offense to the victim and more towards how it reflects on you as a community member / roleplayer.

First of all, we will address why we have chosen to keep this report open. The reason we have is because we do not wish to see the behaviour (explained below) go unpunished. The kill in this case was a ridiculous kill, one that we do not wish to see on our servers at any time.

Edited by Whitename

Pretty much what Whitememe said. The GM team handling the report holds the right to keep the report open if they deem it fit. No, we are not out to get anyone but yes we are here to enforce rules depending on the severity of them. 

57 minutes ago, Brady said:

Pretty much what Whitememe said. The GM team handling the report holds the right to keep the report open if they deem it fit. No, we are not out to get anyone but yes we are here to enforce rules depending on the severity of them. 

I never meant to make it sound like you were “out to get anyone” but see how it could be misconstrued that way. I was curious because it seems that putting up a report is done because there was one or more perceived rule breaks observed by the reporter, that the reporter felt was harmful (to the RP or just outright malicious) to themselves or others involved in some way.

Yet it seems that even if the reporter, the one pressing charges wants the charges dropped and all involved are OK with that, the Staff sometimes doesn’t let it drop and even finds rules broken that were not reported and people end up getting banned, even though they had worked out the core issue through some other means (TS, Discord, etc).

The Problem I see here is that it discourages people from filing a report against someone out of fear that the staff might find something incriminating the reporter and ban them, as well even if nobody else mentioned it. Nobody wants to be banned, or have someone banned unjustly especially if the perceived slight has been resolved through some other channel.

Just now, NebulousCass said:

I never meant to make it sound like you were “out to get anyone” but see how it could be misconstrued that way

Far too often that's what people see ?

1 minute ago, NebulousCass said:

Yet it seems that even if the reporter, the one pressing charges wants the charges dropped and all involved are OK with that, the Staff sometimes doesn’t let it drop and even finds rules broken that were not reported and people end up getting banned, even though they had worked out the core issue through some other means (TS, Discord, etc).

The Problem I see here is that it discourages people from filing a report against someone out of fear that the staff might find something incriminating the reporter and ban them, as well even if nobody else mentioned it. Nobody wants to be banned, or have someone banned unjustly especially if the perceived slight has been resolved through some other channel.

Usually reports get dropped if both parties agree, even if the reporter did something as well. If neither side is upset then it'll get closed. im guessing they get kept open when the accused / accuser needs to learn a lession -- that their behaviour won't be tolerated, even if the other party is okay with it

3 hours ago, NebulousCass said:

I've seen an example recently of a report that was requested to be dropped by the OP, yet the staff have said that they would make the decision to drop the report or not. Does this really mean that if you throw up a report that the staff can decide to pass down judgement on those in the report (The OP or accused) and give punishments even if those involved have worked it out and no longer want to have the accused punished? 

I've also noticed that those putting up the reports can and have had punishments given against them as well. Do the staff retain the ability to veto the dropping of  a report so they can find a rule break on part of the OP and punish them, even if the report was requested to be dropped by those involved?

I really want to say something but considering I got twenty warning points yesterday, I will refrain.

Staff has always reserved the right to keep reports open even if they were requested to be closed. Kind of wish they would have done that to some previous reports where people were obviously abusing the system to avoid getting their buddies in trouble after evidence was brought forth showing they also broke the rules, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles I suppose.

Edited by Zero

2 hours ago, NebulousCass said:

I never meant to make it sound like you were “out to get anyone” but see how it could be misconstrued that way. I was curious because it seems that putting up a report is done because there was one or more perceived rule breaks observed by the reporter, that the reporter felt was harmful (to the RP or just outright malicious) to themselves or others involved in some way.

I am so confused... are we complaining about staff retaining veto to punish people for rule breaks? ?

Rules are not meant to be broken in the firstplace and if they are, people must be punished...

Staff can not just turn a blind eye on rule breaks...

When handing out punishment they can be more leaniant depending on a situation, but how can you ignore a rule break?!?!

If Im wrong, I apologise... but thats how I understood it...

Edited by Shanoby

Oh I don't know, maybe wasting staff's time for reviewing something over 1-2 days and then deciding to close it. I would keep the report too, I mean people can't decide what they want lol. First someone puts a report THEN talks with the accused and decides to drop it. Why can't it be like, first talk with the other guy and don't put up a report at all? 

3 hours ago, Sylva said:

If there is evidence of a rulebreak in a report, we retain the right to punish It, if needs be we will keep the report open for the same reason as explained above.

5 hours ago, NebulousCass said:

If you have nothing to hide you will be fine. If you did something wrong and you didn't even know about it then your just gonna have to deal with it whichever way the report goes...

What I say has already been said, but yes if the rule break is severe.

Every case is, of course, different. But I think the reason why the staff team has the right to do this was because sometimes the person who made the report would get punished themselves. They could just close the report and nothing would happen and the Op of the report would avoid the punishment that's why it was implemented.

Staff has always had the right to keep a report open. Most of the time, from when I was in staff, it was determined by the attitude of the OP and accused as well as what rules were broken and if it looks like the OP is just out to ban people for breaking no rules at all.

I understand people watch the people in the report end up talking things out and want it closed but you don’t need to throw up a report to talk to someone. It’s always best to go to staff if a rule was broke (example: you were killed) find out who they are and try to talk to the person BEFORE throwing up a report. Most reports are salt reports, people who are upset over the situation. They throw up the report, it sits for a few days and they either calm down or talk to the accused. 

Edited by Clumsy

6 hours ago, Shanoby said:

I am so confused... are we complaining about staff retaining veto to punish people for rule breaks? ?

Rules are not meant to be broken in the firstplace and if they are, people must be punished...

Staff can not just turn a blind eye on rule breaks...

When handing out punishment they can be more leaniant depending on a situation, but how can you ignore a rule break?!?!

If Im wrong, I apologise... but thats how I understood it...

I am not complaining about it no. Just trying to bring up different points of view and get a better understanding of what’s going on and why.