Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2020-11-01, 00:15 HALLOWEEN SALE
Sign in to follow this  
Mugin

Add "Flaws" to Character Pages

Should we add character flaws to character pages?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

So I've mentioned a few of these ideas in a previous thread so I will not go fully into length on every point again. Though I do feel the need to stress at least one of my suggestions to hopefully improve RP quality amongst our fellow RPers.

It's simple, more so a suggestion technically. As well as it will assist in a realistic atmosphere to breed RP. 

Add a section in character pages titled "Flaws" or "Character Flaws" so people get the picture. Flaws are simple.

"Afraid of heights", "Spiders", "Clown wearing psychos". It's really up to the imagination what you can make yourself afraid of, but it can drastically improve RP for the better. Giving people a proper feel to them as well.

There are too many people who don't RP out injuries or are just super soldiers, or brainiac kids, and other matters that can really put a greater divide between campfire RPers and PvPers. This can be seen to level that playing field a little? Now honestly I don't want to make this thread into a "God PvPers are the worst!" or "Fuckin campfire RP is trash!" kinda thing. Just because I used that as one of many issues that plague the quality of the servers RP.

So please, just let me know if you think it'll be helpful as well. I feel it'll add more rounded characters to the community. As well as its just a suggestion on the character page. No one HAS to fill out every section there, at least to my knowledge. So if people want to continue parading around SZ with numerous bullet holes in them, or be a 13-year-old with a Ph.D., keep going! You all know who you are, and that's fine. It honestly is, because at the end of the day. We're just here to have fun.

This is just a friendly suggestion to beget more RP. In the style of putting others before yourself! 

I am adding a poll at my own risk. Of a simple "Yes" or "No" to the question "Should we add character flaws to character pages?"

 

Share this post


Link to post

Don't see it needing a section but maybe just hint at the flaws in the character's backstory?

Share this post


Link to post

It's crucial to add a section for it solely because the people who add flaws already have the intention for a well-rounded character. This will gently urge those who may not have considered such a thing, to try and add a bit more depth to their character.

Share this post


Link to post

I mean...people do that already now in most of their character pages. They just add a "Likes" and "Dislikes" section to their backstory. 

Share this post


Link to post

I mean- adding flaws is kinda given..

 

But to be fair- this is an apocalypse... darwanism is a thing.. those who are flawed in a criteria of ways wouldn't of made it a year into the apocalypse tbh.

So encouraging mantling flaws is really hard. But apocalypse-caused flaws(psycho, drug addiction, etc.) will be fine imo

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Clumsy said:

I mean...people do that already now in most of their character pages. They just add a "Likes" and "Dislikes" section to their backstory. 

I will just quote myself if that's okay:

8 minutes ago, MeenMuginLovin said:

This will gently urge those who may not have considered such a thing, to try and add a bit more depth to their character.

 

4 minutes ago, LemonRP said:

I mean- adding flaws is kinda given..

 

But to be fair- this is an apocalypse... darwanism is a thing.. those who are flawed in a criteria of ways wouldn't of made it a year into the apocalypse tbh.

So encouraging mantling flaws is really hard. But apocalypse-caused flaws(psycho, drug addiction, etc.) will be fine imo

The sole purpose is to create and nurture RP. Sure not everyone is gonna be afraid of spiders, but everyone has fear, even badasses.
It should be up to the RP and players discretion whether they had those fears pre/post outbreak. No limiting factor should be applied, which I think is what you were insinuating. 

Share this post


Link to post

I voted no because I believe the means to do so already exist, people quite often put quirks or flaws into their characters when they wish to RP those injuries  etc. out.

When people don't want to, we have this rule:

  • 10.3 When your character dies you must continue your role play as if you were wounded in the situation that lead to your death.

Which means if you kill somebody in a fight, and they're instantly running around doing the exact same shit with no repercussions, it's technically a form of BadRP and could be punishable. We just haven't really had anybody report for it yet.

Share this post


Link to post

I believe that flaws should be included only because I think it will improve the quality of characters all around.

+1 from me.

Share this post


Link to post

I put no, but im kinda on the fence. People already have the means to do this through character backstory, but some people fail to even add it like Para says. 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Para said:

 

When people don't want to, we have this rule:

  • 10.3 When your character dies you must continue your role play as if you were wounded in the situation that lead to your death.

Which means if you kill somebody in a fight, and they're instantly running around doing the exact same shit with no repercussions, it's technically a form of BadRP and could be punishable. We just haven't really had anybody report for it yet.

It's because those people will get immediately badgered by that guy(s) on an OOC level and often a lot of hate will go their way. There's probably a good 20 people I could report by now, but haven't because I would be/am tired about the kind of hate I would get for it. 

Share this post


Link to post

If we add that we might as well add an entire DnD-like system of flaws and traits/weaknesses/abilities. As said above people already add that themselves so there isn't really a need.

-1 from me.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Para said:

I voted no because I believe the means to do so already exist, people quite often put quirks or flaws into their characters when they wish to RP those injuries  etc. out.

When people don't want to, we have this rule:

  • 10.3 When your character dies you must continue your role play as if you were wounded in the situation that lead to your death.

Which means if you kill somebody in a fight, and they're instantly running around doing the exact same shit with no repercussions, it's technically a form of BadRP and could be punishable. We just haven't really had anybody report for it yet.

Like I previously mentioned the point of this would not be to limit RP by any means, especially when concerning RPing out injuries. @Kain hit the nail on the head concerning that issue of RPing our injuries, which I should have just kept separate from this whole suggestion... Yes, people don't RP out injuries, it's a fact. This suggestion doesn't necessarily pertain solely to that issue, but it would potentially alleviate it.

21 minutes ago, Major said:

If we add that we might as well add an entire DnD-like system of flaws and traits/weaknesses/abilities. As said above people already add that themselves so there isn't really a need.

-1 from me.

No, we really don't have to add that much... Like I said earlier, it's a gentle nudge on the character page for people to fill out. You do not have to fill out the entirety of the page. I sure as hell know not everyone does. It's just an attempt to encourage well-rounded characters, which I figured an LM would appreciate... Especially since there is really no harm in implementing this idea.

Share this post


Link to post

This should be a thing people shouldn't be forced to do. If people want it they could add it to their characters but I don't feel like anything can be gained from it right now. -1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, lukaszxe said:

This should be a thing people shouldn't be forced to do. If people want it they could add it to their characters but I don't feel like anything can be gained from it right now. -1

Just gonna leave these here...

5 hours ago, MeenMuginLovin said:

As well as its just a suggestion on the character page. No one HAS to fill out every section there, at least to my knowledge.

Still pretty confident you can leave certain parts of the character page blank.

4 hours ago, MeenMuginLovin said:

This will gently urge those who may not have considered such a thing, to try and add a bit more depth to their character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Generic Name

Members who want to detail their character's flaws already do so, adding it as a requirement is in my opinion unneeded. As far as I'm concerned, the less there is on the character page, the more you actually have to learn from people in game, which encourages interaction. The only things necessary on the character page are things that we cannot represent in game due to the engine limitation, such as character height and weight, hair and eye color, and other physical traits. The more you add, the more you're at risk of being metagamed.

 

"Oh he doesn't wanna talk? Hang him by his feet from this lamp post, I swear he'll squeal like a lil piggie!"

"Wait no, don't, fuck, how did you..."

"Heard through the grape vine that you don't like heights, git rekt noob, ecksdee"

 

No thank you.

Edited by Generic Name

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, SomeWeirdAssGuy said:

Members who want to detail their character's flaws already do so, adding it as a requirement is in my opinion unneeded. As far as I'm concerned, the less there is on the character page, the more you actually have to learn from people in game, which encourages interaction. The only things necessary on the character page are things that we cannot represent in game due to the engine limitation, such as character height and weight, hair and eye color, and other physical traits. The more you add, the more you're at risk of being metagamed.

 

"Oh he doesn't wanna talk? Hang him by his feet from this lamp post, I swear he'll squeal like a lil piggie!"

"Wait no, don't, fuck, how did you..."

"Heard through the grape vine that you don't like heights, git rekt noob, ecksdee"

 

No thank you.

The fear of meta would probably be the only downfall. I feel that potential shouldn't dissuade progress. Resting on one's laurels only because of the fear that someone will rule break is setting yourself and the community up for failure. To assume your fellow community member will rule break is just a sad excuse that I feel could be remedied if we did not assume the worst of each other...

 

In terms of this being mandatory. I have stated so many times that it's just silly at this point...

1 hour ago, MeenMuginLovin said:

As well as its just a suggestion on the character page. No one HAS to fill out every section there

It would be the player's discretion whether they would or would not add one. This would just help not only add realism to characters but also potentially give someone who might not have thought of it, the idea to improve upon their character.

Share this post


Link to post

+1 from me. If meta is a concern then shouldn't we remove backstories all together, in case they get meta'd? Or mental state, family, etc?

Share this post


Link to post

Dont   see the point in this. Be clever and let people find out IG 

-1 4 me 

Share this post


Link to post

I think this would be a cool idea, though it should NOT be a required area to fill out. If people wanna do it, cool. If others don't wanna fill it out, then just don't. I see no reason we shouldn't have this as an option for those who want it as it doesn't affect those who don't want it.

+1 from me 

Share this post


Link to post

Def a +1 for me. Yeah you could just add flaws to the backstory or description, but having their own section would make it alot more streamlined imo

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...