Server time (UTC): 2020-10-30, 11:21 HALLOWEEN SALE
Sign in to follow this  
Hex

John Doe

Hello Ladies and Gents, I have a question concerning current DayZRP Naming policies and the name of my character I'd like to play. Before I took my long break, I wrote up a few parts to a background for a character I was trying to play, his name is "John Doe" simply because he doesnt know what his real name is. I'll save you the details of the story or anything like that, but back then I would consistently get kicked for having an 'Improper RP Name' , so my question is this: Will I continue to be kicked even now with such a name?

Regardless of if your character knows his name or not, he's still got a name. Just put down your characters birth-name, but roleplay that you have forgotten it.

20 minutes ago, Stannis said:

Regardless of if your character knows his name or not, he's still got a name. Just put down your characters birth-name, but roleplay that you have forgotten it.

This is pretty good. You still need to have a proper name however if you want to roleplay out you genuinely don't remember your name that's your choice and you are more than free to do so ^_^

1 hour ago, Oisin said:

This is pretty good. You still need to have a proper name however if you want to roleplay out you genuinely don't remember your name that's your choice and you are more than free to do so ^_^

Understandable, however I still dont see the issue with the name as a whole, John doe is a name. Tis just a name. My only issue with having a different name and RPing my name is something else is that people low key metagame. Not a massive deal but when you introduce yourself as one thing and if they manage to pulsecheck you, they get real sketched out and will either initiate on you or not want to really be around you considering your lying to them. Its something that has happened to me before when I played this character.

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Understandable, however I still dont see the issue with the name as a whole, John doe is a name. Tis just a name. My only issue with having a different name and RPing my name is something else is that people low key metagame. Not a massive deal but when you introduce yourself as one thing and if they manage to pulsecheck you, they get real sketched out and will either initiate on you or not want to really be around you considering your lying to them. Its something that has happened to me before when I played this character.

If they do that you can always report them like or talk to them afterwards

55 minutes ago, Oisin said:

If they do that you can always report them like or talk to them afterwards

Indeed I could, however I feel like its something people do without noticing, everyone can or has done it. You recognize someone by their voice but they are on a different character is a primary example. 

I hope I'm not coming across as bullheaded or annoying in this matter, its such a simple little thing but I'd simply like to name my character what I want to name him and play him how I imagined him.

17 minutes ago, Hex said:

My only issue with having a different name and RPing my name is something else is that people low key metagame. Not a massive deal but when you introduce yourself as one thing and if they manage to pulsecheck you, they get real sketched out and will either initiate on you or not want to really be around you considering your lying to them. Its something that has happened to me before when I played this character.

Why not trust your fellow community members to be after a good rp experience just like you are?

If they want to rp, noticing you as a bit sketchy and initiate: creates  rp.

If they want to rp, noticing you as someone maybe lying to them and question you about things: creates rp.

If they want to rp, taking off because their character notices something is weird around your character: react to that and ... surprise: create rp.

Edited by Ron

I mean, if someone said their name was "John Doe" I'd be a bit sketched out anyway, like, is this person lying to me or taking the piss? Why doesn't he have a name?
It opens interesting RP situations, which I assume you're going for? I mean, why does it matter if (upon pulse-checking) your character has a different name, if he introduces himself as John Doe, that in itself is a little sketchy and until he explains why, people are naturally going to be a little funny about him.

@Mademoiselle has played an amnesiac before, she can explain!

But basically, as stated above you’ll need a legitimate name, and it’s fine to just not remember it. If people walk up to you and call you by your name, that’s metagaming. 

If you name your character John Doe you’ll probably be getting a PM from me :D 

tl;dr just pick a real name and RP as if you don’t know what it is!

Hope this helps

Slightly different idea:
Assuming this is acceptable, you could put your amnesiac's chosen name as your real name, as long as it sounded real enough.

"John Doe," quite stereotypical, can see why you'd go for it, but what if instead your character realises that and decides to use something more authentic?

Backstory: Waking up, no memory, don't know your name, meet some people who explain to you that you're in a zombie apocalypse, nice one, and that there's been various groups of armed people who'd be weirded out by your use of a pseudo-name. 
You go to a bathroom to find a mirror, look around, see a sink. Sink sounds like Sid, let's go with that. On the sink, it has "Armitage" written on it. Sid Armitage. 

Obviously you can choose the hoops you jump through to come to this conclusion, whether you put it into your backstory or it happens in-game, but the result is the same: You're an amnesiac with a less-than-sketchy name that doesn't immediately point out you've lost your memory and that you're ripe for the picking if someone enslaves you since you don't know who / where to go to if you escape. 

Up to you.

Edit: Throw the real name into the back story so that you have it, but for all intents and purposes your character's chosen name is the "real" one as that's what they'll be referred to, what they'll put on permits, etc.

Edited by Mass

Hello,

I play an amnesiac called Meika. The tips and tricks I know to give you are:

• You can call your character by any name. Such as I have mine named Meika Dellouise. However she didn't know this from her severe case of amnesia. She recalls certain characteristics such as favourite animal, favourite food and pet. But anything to do with a person it's a nil.
  • If you haven't planned a friend OOCly to know your name 'John Doe' they're most likely meta-gaming. Unless you played the character before you have amnesia. I played my character like she was kidnapped on holiday, dumped somewhere and began to play her.
  • I'd recommend looking at the type of amnesia your character has here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesia
  • Here is my character page if you want to read through and see how I made it to get a general idea of what to do: https://www.dayzrp.com/characters/display-5434/
  • If you're struggling to look for names, put your name down like it's your birth name (not your real life name!) Here: https://www.babble.com/pregnancy/1000-most-popular-boy-names/
  • Also add triggers, so baby laughs and you have a child ICly. But you have no idea why that makes you happy. Women yelling and crying, could remind you of your wife and fill you with the hurt emotion but you won't know why.

I hope this helps! This is copy pasta'd by my character page to help:

Spoiler
  • Dissociative amnesia results from a psychological cause as opposed to direct damage to the brain caused by head injury, physical trauma or disease, which is known as organic amnesia. Dissociative amnesia can include:

Repressed memory is the inability to recall information, usually about stressful or traumatic events in persons' lives, such as a violent attack or disaster. The memory is stored in long-term memory, but access to it is impaired because of psychological defense mechanisms. Persons retain the capacity to learn new information and there may be some later partial or complete recovery of memory. Formerly known as "Psychogenic Amnesia".

• Post-traumatic amnesia is generally due to a head injury (example: a fall, a knock on the head). Traumatic amnesia is often transient, but may be permanent or either anterograde, retrograde, or mixed type. The extent of the period covered by the amnesia is related to the degree of injury and may give an indication of the prognosis for recovery of other functions. The sufferer may also lose knowledge of who people are. Having longer periods of amnesia or consciousness after an injury may be an indication that recovery from remaining concussion symptoms will take much longer with assist of a psychologist.

Edited by Mademoiselle

8 hours ago, Mass said:

Slightly different idea:
Assuming this is acceptable, you could put your amnesiac's chosen name as your real name, as long as it sounded real enough.

"John Doe," quite stereotypical, can see why you'd go for it, but what if instead your character realises that and decides to use something more authentic?

Backstory: Waking up, no memory, don't know your name, meet some people who explain to you that you're in a zombie apocalypse, nice one, and that there's been various groups of armed people who'd be weirded out by your use of a pseudo-name. 
You go to a bathroom to find a mirror, look around, see a sink. Sink sounds like Sid, let's go with that. On the sink, it has "Armitage" written on it. Sid Armitage. 

Obviously you can choose the hoops you jump through to come to this conclusion, whether you put it into your backstory or it happens in-game, but the result is the same: You're an amnesiac with a less-than-sketchy name that doesn't immediately point out you've lost your memory and that you're ripe for the picking if someone enslaves you since you don't know who / where to go to if you escape. 

Up to you.

Edit: Throw the real name into the back story so that you have it, but for all intents and purposes your character's chosen name is the "real" one as that's what they'll be referred to, what they'll put on permits, etc.

I've already gotten his reasoning why in the story I had put up for him ( As incomplete as it is ) here: 

I dont see why I should include a real name if the name 'John Doe' is real enough for the character in an IC sense.

11 minutes ago, Hex said:

I dont see why I should include a real name if the name 'John Doe' is real enough for the character in an IC sense.

Your character's name should be the name his parents gave him, or his legal name if there was a change etc. It's the same as if you put "My Character Doesn't Know His Name" as your character's name