Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 22:25
Sign in to follow this  
Eagle

Accents

Now I've been roaming around for some time now and I've met some interesting people but some people that are Russian or really European still seem to pull off an accent which just makes no sense for their character, I remember from my GM days that those sorta of characters can be reported for bad RP so I would like to ask is that still a thing or are you guys more relaxed on it now?

Edited by Eagle

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

pull off an accent which just makes no sense for their character

Can you clarify or give an example on how it might not make sense for their character?

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

pull off an accent which just makes no sense for their character

You mean like a cowboy with a Russian accent or a CDF soldier with a Yorkshire accent? Or do you mean someone who is attempting to roleplay the appropriate accent for their character but they're just really bad at it?

3 minutes ago, Skinner said:

You mean like a cowboy with a Russian accent or a CDF soldier with a Yorkshire accent? Or do you mean someone who is attempting to roleplay the appropriate accent for their character but they're just really bad at it?

First one, such as a Russian man who has lived his whole life in Russia but still manages to pull off a perfect American accent with no distinct changes in their voices making it impossible to ID them.

Edited by Eagle

3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

First one, such as a Russian man who has lived his whole life in Russia but still manages to pull off a perfect American accent with no distinct changes in their voices.

Personally I'd consider that BadRP. If there is some effort put into it but they just suck at it, or if they keep emoting that they are speaking with the correct accent, I'd say that would be acceptable. Putting no effort whatsoever into your RP (a Russian, born and raised in Russia who has never been to America yet speaks with a 100% American accent without a hint of Russian to be heard for example) would be asking for a report and would eventually probably be rewarded with "Winner" points (as Olive calls them).

Depends I suppose. If this character is a spy and has been trained yeah.

If it is an average person than no. If I spend a month learning Russian I can go to Russia and speak it and people will know I'm foreign. The only people who can really do a proper Russian impression are foreigners who have lived there since years, speak it fluently, and have picked up on what to stress and how to say certain things. Kinda reminds me of this:

If the character has a valid reason to be able to do so I see no reason, like if they have lived in a country for afew years and managed to pick stuff up as you do. However if some random Russian guy born and raised all his life pulls off a perfect American accent I would report it for badrp or talk to them about it ^_^

I wouldnt report for Bad RP in all honestly. Not everybody is an actor and I would rather have a clean accent that can be understood rather than a really shitty accent that is borderline trolling. Judge on how they RP the character, not how they sound I always say.

1 hour ago, Stagsview said:

I wouldnt report for Bad RP in all honestly. Not everybody is an actor and I would rather have a clean accent that can be understood rather than a really shitty accent that is borderline trolling. Judge on how they RP the character, not how they sound I always say.

The issue that comes from that are people that can mask their real ID due to the fact that you cannot ID them at all or call them out on there accent.

Edited by Eagle

I would say it's BadRP if they're playing a Chernarussian character and out of nowhere they start speaking without an accent to avoid being initiated on or to get the drop on somebody.

With my character Ondrej if he attempts to speak without an accent, you can still tell he has an accent as he finishes certain words.

IRL, I picked up accents quite easily from Spanish class. Once I learned how to roll the R and “come down hard on the D and T” (if that makes sense) it makes Mexican and Russian accents a breeze. English accents take a little more finesse, but it’s not too hard. I’ve lived in America for a decade now so I speak with an American accent normally but can sound canadian if I’d like. Etc etc etc. If your character went to high school / uni it’s not a long stretch to say he took foreign language, and could therefore switch accents. 

If you were to report it for BadRP I doubt it would go very far, sorry. 

Edited by Whitename

56 minutes ago, Whitename said:

-si

True but I would find it strange for a CDF officer or anything of that sort to pick up a full on accent with no resembles to his own.

4 minutes ago, Eagle said:

True but I would find it strange for a CDF officer or anything of that sort to pick up a full on accent with no resembles to his own.

CDF went to high school, learned... lets say... Spanish? Picks up Spanish accent easily if he's fluent in Spanish

3 minutes ago, Whitename said:

CDF went to high school, learned... lets say... Spanish? Picks up Spanish accent easily if he's fluent in Spanish

Unless he speaks that language all night long he would still have some form of a Chernorussian accent in there since English and Spanish would not be the common tongue.

25 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Unless he speaks that language all night long he would still have some form of a Chernorussian accent in there since English and Spanish would not be the common tongue.

/shrug

Like I said, I doubt it'd go too far in a report. If he's got a balaclava and using an accent I doubt there'd be any way for you to recognise him, spare a pulse check. 

1 minute ago, Whitename said:

/shrug

Like I said, I doubt it'd go too far in a report. If he's got a balaclava and using an accent I doubt there'd be any way for you to recognise him, spare a pulse check. 

It did once but that was 3 years ago and from that verdict, the person who was chernorussian got warned for pulling off a perfect American accent.
I wanted to be sure if this sorta thing is allowed considering that this is only used to hide your identity and is really just abuse of your own vocabulary since most people that play said characters are not Russian.

I don't like the idea of perfect foreign accents on specific characters, such as the example you gave, @Eagle. Personally, I try to break in an accent from the accent I'm already playing, which is damn near impossible, so no one would(/should) ever believe that his accent is in any way real.

Would I report people for it, though? Probably not, unless I felt they abused it, for example in a situation where they might get caught, but suddenly their American/British/Whatever accent is just absolutely perfect. The thought reeks of "I don't want to lose ever," and that's something I particularly dislike.

If a person has been in a country long enough and speaks the language an accent will become second nature to them. I know a mechanic who talks like he's from London but isn't (When speaking English). I can myself speak English with a Spanish accent.