Server time: 2018-12-10, 11:58
Mexi

Allow the robbery for items once again.

Should we revert to allow hostilities to build off of robberies? (6.1 and 6.2 change/ removal)  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

maybe i should clarify a little then.

we all know the server needs bandits raiders and bullies, if you wana rob someone for they shit. i'm simply saying have solid reason for it obivously. gearing up for a war. stavation. better chances of survival what ever. but for the party being robbed. the rp should be stretched out longer then: "surprise cock bag. you know the drill. guns down hands up." *commence loot and scoot. 

i would imagine. that after the big war that just happened. bandit like people will be taking advantage of this "momentary peace". i geuss what im trying to say is. make it a rp thing not just a i want your shit thing. 

i think thats fairly simple. but meh easier said then done for some. i realized my self hostile rp is hard to do when  i playd my crazy character and everyone just wanted to kill me everyday for being mentally unstable and a little cringy. i'd like to see more shit like.: your roaming on the northern high way and you see some survivors with a broken down car but oh wait a cliche happens. or: your having a nice refill at a well when all of a sudden. "i could hear you from a mile away with all that shit in your bag." 

i understand that its always been hard for hostile rpers to get the entertainment they want from said rp due to people "waaah my gear. see you on the forums" but maybe just maybe if we gave more rp with hostile rp ppl be like dam that was fun. its a two way street. give good get good.

4 minutes ago, XxGrAipYyxX said:

maybe i should clarify a little then.

we all know the server needs bandits raiders and bullies, if you wana rob someone for they shit. i'm simply saying have solid reason for it obivously. gearing up for a war. stavation. better chances of survival what ever. but for the party being robbed. the rp should be stretched out longer then: "surprise cock bag. you know the drill. guns down hands up." *commence loot and scoot. 

i would imagine. that after the big war that just happened. bandit like people will be taking advantage of this "momentary peace". i geuss what im trying to say is. make it a rp thing not just a i want your shit thing. 

i think thats fairly simple. but meh easier said then done for some. i realized my self hostile rp is hard to do when  i playd my crazy character and everyone just wanted to kill me everyday for being mentally unstable and a little cringy. i'd like to see more shit like.: your roaming on the northern high way and you see some survivors with a broken down car but oh wait a cliche happens. or: your having a nice refill at a well when all of a sudden. "i could hear you from a mile away with all that shit in your bag." 

i understand that its always been hard for hostile rpers to get the entertainment they want from said rp due to people "waaah my gear. see you on the forums" but maybe just maybe if we gave more rp with hostile rp ppl be like dam that was fun. its a two way street. give good get good.

There's a select few who aren't good at it which is why there's a report section, mentor team and the staff even tell newer players that have questions about RP if they're new to avoid doing hostilely RP. What you described in the first paragraph is bad RP, which should be reported.. I must have said this like 10 times already. 

The issue lies with people taking their issues right to the top instead of carrying things out how they should, through reports. Now we've ended up with EVERYONE being punished because of a few bad eggs, which I personally don't think is fair.

in any case. i think if you can still do hostile rp with the rules then do it. theres nothing that stopped ppl before. its just the rep and the whining you have to deal with. 

Posted (edited)

I'd rather get robbed for my gear and get provided with quality RP, than get robbed for a stupid reason and get shitty RP.

Hostile groups with goals, with strive to reach them which will bring top notch roleplay. Being restricted by these rules are only going to make this harder for the groups with actual goals in mind. With these rules we can only find groups that punish those that happen to accidentally bad mouth them.

Edited by Finn

Posted (edited)

The apocalypse is mean, gritty, and lawless. If I want to kidnap some stranger off a main road and drag them into the woods and do unspeakable things to them I should be able to. The new rules restrict this and make such a mundane and common trope associated with the post-apocalyptic fantasy setting impossible for the common bandit. I think this is dumb and the rules need to change and have much less restrictions on hostile RP. If people actually had a reason to be afraid of every stranger they met because there was a slim chance a stranger wanted to do bad things to them then it would actually feel like the apocalypse and less of a SIMS game. Honestly, all I see nowadays is people with their guards down acting like the "Friendly Neighbor" whenever they meet a stranger on the road.

My brutal idea of what the new hostile rules should be: Remove them. Yeah, as in remove them entirely. There should be zero rules stopping someone from acting hostile towards another person. And I believe that everyone should be able to permascar 1 thing into any victim minimum with zero "Permission" to do so. People shouldn't complain about shiny guns being taken away or getting a finger cut off. These are things to expect in an apocalypse. Keep the BadRP rule in place but remove the rules that limit hostile initiations and edit the rules that limit TortureRP. Keep the GearRP rules in place but be more lax with them as robbing another person should feel natural and not restricted in any way. Make new rules that prevent abusing other players by holding them captive too long, harassing them by constantly initiating on them too frequently, or by re-initiating on them the second they release them. Heavily enforce the rule/idea that ALL WOUNDS received from battle need to be RP'd out and become permanent additions to your character. Just the other day I witnessed someone get shot twice in Novy Sobor. Instead of actually acting like they had gotten shot he quickly bandaged himself and then began running around town screaming and shouting and sprinting everywhere. If you were shot twice in real life you wouldn't be doing that so why the hell would you think that doing this is OK here? I encounter too many scenarios like this on a daily basis. Players need to be FORCED to RP out all wounds so that shooting your buddy or punching him in the middle of town because of the excuse that, "Your bored" doesn't just happen. The apocalypse shouldn't feel like a whimsical joyride it should feel like a terrifying roller coaster of constant developing struggle.

Edited by Psycho

28 minutes ago, Psycho said:

-snip-

I agree with being able to initiate on anyone you feel like, but being able to perma scar and cut of fingers without permission I don't agree with. That's just totally moulding the rules to allow people to just scar every single person they come across. What if you cut of a characters finger and they're a musician? You've destroyed all potential RP they're going to do because they revolve their roleplay around playing music. Scarring wouldn't be good either, because then you'd just run around finding people with scars from every groups that they were unfortunate enough to stumble upon. Hostile groups should strive for more than just scarring their victims, that's cliche and hostile-RP should involve more than that.

Allowing people to scar hostages without permission will only further motivate people to not comply at all in fear of being turned into a human notepad

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Finn said:

- snip -

That's fine with me. A musician shouldn't be able to stop a group of 8 people who have him restricted from losing a finger. In my eyes this brutal way of things won't ruin or destroy potential RP it will create it. Now the musician has to find a new way to play or has a reason to stop playing music at "safe" hot-spots and act more wary of those around him. And if things go the way I envision them to go I don't think people will abuse the permascar rule but rather the opposite. If people are always able to permascar it will remove the hype/importance of perma-scarring which will make people less likely to perma-scar every single victim they capture. At the same time this rule will prevent badRP'rs from getting away from a hostile situation with only a few bruises because they denied permission for permascar even if they should have clearly been perma-scarred by their captors.

I have faith that making perma-scarring allowed will have the opposite effect of what your worried about. And I believe that perma-scarring should be a regular thing that shouldn't be prevented by so many rules but accepted as a normal thing that just happens. But we could always come to a middle ground on this and make a new rule that would for example allow 1 perma-scar per victim so long as the victim is captured by an official group and the group has 5 or more members there. In a scenario like this a single perma-scar should always be allowed no matter what the victim wants. You shouldn't be able to act like god and say, "I don't want you to permascar my character" in a scenario where your character clearly wouldn't get that sort of choice.

Edited by Psycho

4 minutes ago, Psycho said:

-snip-

I doubt that will be added, as that falls under powergaming. People shouldn't be forced to roleplay something else, if they really wanted to and were ready to they would give permission.

I in fact sometimes play guitar in character, it takes me a few days of practice to perfect each song and learn to sing as well. If someone took a finger off my character just because their character wanted to it would completely ruin my roleplay experience as you need all four fingers to play most songs, that would be a complete waste of my time and I'd probably leave the community at that point. You can easily bring some variety into the role play instead of scarring everyone you come across.

I think that aslong as the robbery is RP'd out nicely and made fun for both sides then it doesn't matter why you robbed someone. As others have said its an apocalypse, if i want some dudes hat imma take it, who's gonna stop me?

On 4/25/2018 at 10:21 PM, Mexi said:

while I understand.. This is an RP server

There you have your answer. This rule was added so that the RP takes priority over PvP and puts a stop to mindless initiations and torturing everything that moves for some made up reason like "my character is just like that" or "we hate X people" where X just happens to be whoever is getting attacked. We have had a good year or two of lenient PvP rules that weren't very much enforced which allowed for PvP domination in game, I as the owner of this fine establishment believe it's time to switch it around a little bit. The hostility rules in place will stay, and I think the rule itself is pretty self explanatory about what is and isn't allowed. If anyone needed a clarification, the basic idea behind it is - "initiations come after RP that created a reason for that initiation", NOT "RP comes after the initiation" like it used to be for a long time.

The big problem I see with this, is what reason could you have to drop an initiation “after” the RP? Like what if a character doesn’t want to interact with anyone due to prior RP experience? Could they then initiate on someone to get them to leave them alone justifying the initiation because of prior RP even though it might not have involved the person being initiated on?

I mean, like it would be silly to expect someone starving to RP for a while looking for an opening to initiate on someone to take food and water from them to keep themselves from starving to death. Not everyone is going to be willing to just give someone food. 

*Sees someone eating a can of peaches, approaches them*

“Hey, do you have any food I can have? I’m starving.”

”Nope, sorry.”

”Yeah I saw you eating those peaches, I know you have to have some left.”

*Drops initiation*

This would be seen as (Invalid initiation) because of lack of RP from my understanding. 

In a situation like this it seems justified to me at least. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rolle said:

You took 5 words, out of context only from what I said when as shown in the poll I'm clearly not the only one that thinks there needs to be change. There are 70 people who think something need some to be done about these rules you're throwing in because you're just prohibiting things which create god role play, look who's commented on this thread, read their thoughts and concerns.. not just see 5 words and shut the shit down. RP does indeed come after initiations, not just the taking of items but hostilities, groups, militias etc are built off of just one thing, one thing you've decided to build because instead of reporting the people who are causing the issues and having them removed or punished the proper way we've all had to deal with it because as you've said 'as the owner of this fine establishment you feel it's time to switch it around a bit'.. Apologies if this comes across as rude Rolle, but you didn't get in game much if at all to look for these issues and I'm sure as shot staff didn't bring whatever forward to you considering Admins themselves feel the rules are way to harsh and prohibit quite a large portion of RP that COULD take place, I know you're a busy bloke and you can't/ couldn't get on much during the time people were Pming you complaining about losing their shit (because let's be honest, there was more badrp sports revolving around the hostage back then because they were losing some of their items than the RP provided by the takers) but honestly these rules alone have prohibited so much more fun than I think you even care to understand.

Read the rest of the ideas/ comments others have put forward..

plsnoban, I like that you're more involved with things now than you were before but take into consideration how big and damaging some changes you have/ will make are for the RP taking place.

Apolgoes again if this seemed rude.. Apparently I'm a cunt sometimes without knowing it myself, based on what I've heard through rumours. 💯🚨👌🏻🔥

xox

Edit: Also idea.. if someone PMs you telling you a group are doing it send a GM in game to investigate, as GMs they should do that toooooo imo, could solve your issues right thereeee.

Edited by Mexi

35 minutes ago, Mexi said:

You took 5 words, out of context only from what I said when as shown in the poll I'm clearly not the only one that thinks there needs to be change. There are 70 people who think something need some to be done about these rules you're throwing in because you're just prohibiting things which create god role play, look who's commented on this thread, read their thoughts and concerns.. not just see 5 words and shut the shit down. RP does indeed come after initiations, not just the taking of items but hostilities, groups, militias etc are built off of just one thing, one thing you've decided to build because instead of reporting the people who are causing the issues and having them removed or punished the proper way we've all had to deal with it because as you've said 'as the owner of this fine establishment you feel it's time to switch it around a bit'.. Apologies if this comes across as rude Rolle, but you didn't get in game much if at all to look for these issues and I'm sure as shot staff didn't bring whatever forward to you considering Admins themselves feel the rules are way to harsh and prohibit quite a large portion of RP that COULD take place, I know you're a busy bloke and you can't/ couldn't get on much during the time people were Pming you complaining about losing their shit (because let's be honest, there was more badrp sports revolving around the hostage back then because they were losing some of their items than the RP provided by the takers) but honestly these rules alone have prohibited so much more fun than I think you even care to understand.

Read the rest of the ideas/ comments others have put forward..

plsnoban, I like that you're more involved with things now than you were before but take into consideration how big and damaging some changes you have/ will make are for the RP taking place.

Apolgoes again if this seemed rude.. Apparently I'm a cunt sometimes without knowing it myself, based on what I've heard through rumours. 💯🚨👌🏻🔥

xox

Edit: Also idea.. if someone PMs you telling you a group are doing it send a GM in game to investigate, as GMs they should do that toooooo imo, could solve your issues right thereeee.

I understand that Rolle owns and operates things but we as the community members should have a say in what rules and regulations there are.

Maybe needs a separate thread but perhaps something like a Council of Survivors? A group of democratically elected representatives that help evaluate the rules and other such things in behalf of the community members and express the thoughts and wishes of the community in an official capacity during staff meetings?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, NebulousCass said:

I understand that Rolle owns and operates things but we as the community members should have a say in what rules and regulations there are.

Maybe needs a separate thread but perhaps something like a Council of Survivors? A group of democratically elected representatives that help evaluate the rules and other such things in behalf of the community members and express the thoughts and wishes of the community in an official capacity during staff meetings?

Or polls like on this thread could be listened to? 70-14 is a large difference.. the rules were changed for the few people who had issues previously, from what I understood. If community made polls were tested or put on trial to determine if it works or not that'd be the better option.

Edited by Mexi

Posted (edited)

I'm down for hostilities to be more loosey goosey. Conflict is the spicy sauce that really brings flavor to the RP dish. Struggle n such is the essence of a realistic and compelling story, even if it's a plain ole robbery.

I fuckin love getting robbed. Especially if there's some personality and UPMH to it. Like, OH SHIT, these dudes are freaky and desperate and their guns are in my face! The RP of attempting to defuse a situation is what I love about the robbery just as much as the people that do it.  I was paranoid as hell back when I first started out in this game because you never knew who was going to try something. 

Like others have said, you just walk around and mostly have casual conversation because there's no sense that UNKNOWN DANGER that used to lurk under each hesitant conversation. I know that none of these people have run into me before. They have no reason to be hostile to me specifically, nor do I have the sick gear to be extorted out of.

@Sylvester Todd #BringBackTheMasq #MakeRobbingGreatAgain

EDIT: fixed some spelling errors

Edited by DatBlueWolf

On 4/26/2018 at 9:07 PM, Psycho said:

-snip snoop-

Clarification: Mish mash of general statements as well as a response to ya.

Ultimately the player chooses what happens to their character. If they're fine with it great, but the idea of having a finger cut off might squick someone out. Kinda like in a DnD game there are certain content that players have their limits on. For example: sexual content and gore. They  just may not be into that hot business.

Having the understanding of "oh maybe they aren't super into this. How can I make this work for both of us while still having fun" is essential for this sort of thing. As some folks I know who love hostileRP say, they want to engage their captors just as much as they want to have fun and do memorable shit. Otherwise the person will shut down in order to just get it over with. Heck, some players might even WANT certain folks to permascar em. That's the butter on their kinky croissant and more power to em.

As you said, middle ground for sure in how it's done. But just like my Saturday nights, consent is king. 

Posted (edited)

This is a difficult one for me as I am a Lootwhore, but also like to RP. I see myself as sitting on the fence with this.

Though I can see where @Mexi is comimg from with this. I still find it comforting to know there are rules to protect me from not just getting ganked cause I actually took the effort to find the equipment to kit my character.

For example I'm carrying an Hunters Backpack with me. Nothing special, but it's also ruined, again nothing special. The reason why I carry it is cause it has been with me for months. When I die I get someone to go fetch it for me. The item has a story for me. I would hate losing it cause a fresh spawn "needed it" more then me.

Further more I also hated it when people would "rob" you after you spend an hour or more walking and talking with them. Going so far as giving them items they needed, but the one item they wanted you don't want to give so they just rob you. Which is usually a stupid vest or backpack. Again for my character which has an unique look and which I try to adhere to and spend time to make. It is aggrovating to just be robbed blind by a person you just helped.

Now going to reporting it. I feel like this is worthless endeavour as the person merely gets banned for a short time, but still has the loot. You as the victum is left still having to regear as your look is now ruined. Meaning you are missing out on RP. I'd must prefer a rule change where if enough evidence is provided and the person is found guilted he has to return the items or face getting points.

I'm all for the realistic survival aspect of DayZRP. Again the problem is there ar3 bad apples that ruined it for everyone and then rules have to be put in place to prevent such behaviour. If only we were more mature roleplayers as a whole this communnity would have less rules and allow for more creativity and freedom.

Edited by Razareth

I agree with @Razareth  I get maybe a few hours a day to rp. I've spent up to a week getting my ch geared due to that, only to have it all stolen because someone went 'oh that's nice, I'm lazy, gimme, initiate'. 

Makes it difficult and extremely frustrating ooc. Because as my ch has specific things I use to rp with, then I have to go spend another however long, finding those items, again. Repeat. It get's to a point its infuriating. 

Further more I also hated it when people would "rob" you after you spend an hour or more walking and talking with them. Going so far as giving them items they needed, but the one item they wanted you don't want to give so they just rob you. Which is usually a stupid vest or backpack. Again for my character which has an unique look and which I try to adhere to and spend time to make. It is aggrovating to just be robbed blind by a person you just helped.

Also this.

Yes remove the rule. #freeRP

Ah, so this is what happened while I was away, the castration of hostile RP. Cool.

• 6.1 All hostile situations must be have a valid reasoning and be justified with role play that happened in character, in game or in radio chat forum. See also rule 5.3.
  • 6.2 You may not use character or group story as a universal reason to initiate hostilities with other players. For example, role playing a bandit, murderer or crazy person does not grant you explicit rights to attack other players by itself, there must be other circumstances, previous history between the players or role play that leads to a situation where being hostile is warranted.

With these two rules alone cut off a hefty chunk of hostile RP that can be preformed by bandits. If I'm wandering around and I see someone with something I want, I should be able to initiate and take it. This is supposed to be a survival game but in one swoop damn near all the threat has been removed from the server. To me it makes no sense why this has even been implemented, hostile RP was already a rule laden mess that people had to slog through to even make it work, but they did because its how they wanted to RP. Now its a literal minefield with machine guns aimed at you should you even try to cross it. 

I vote to revert to the old way. Without an actual threat on the server of bandits and robberies, we all might as well go play solo so we can have all the phat loots all to ourselves. There is no point. By doing this you have further marginalized those who like to preform bandit RP. 

Gear whores have had a negative impact on the server since the start of Standalone.

2 hours ago, Razareth said:

This is a difficult one for me as I am a Lootwhore, but also like to RP. I see myself as sitting on the fence with this.

Though I can see where @Mexi is comimg from with this. I still find it comforting to know there are rules to protect me from not just getting ganked cause I actually took the effort to find the equipment to kit my character.

For example I'm carrying an Hunters Backpack with me. Nothing special, but it's also ruined, again nothing special. The reason why I carry it is cause it has been with me for months. When I die I get someone to go fetch it for me. The item has a story for me. I would hate losing it cause a fresh spawn "needed it" more then me.

Now going to reporting it. I feel like this is worthless endeavour as the person merely gets banned for a short time, but still has the loot. You as the victum is left still having to regear as your look is now ruined. Meaning you are missing out on RP. I'd must prefer a rule change where if enough evidence is provided and the person is found guilted he has to return the items or face getting points.

I'm all for the realistic survival aspect of DayZRP. Again the problem is there ar3 bad apples that ruined it for everyone and then rules have to be put in place to prevent such behaviour. If only we were more mature roleplayers as a whole this communnity would have less rules and allow for more creativity and freedom.

So this....this is really what grinds on me. The fact that people can sit behind the rules while in game and feel safe means they are far to overbearing. 

If someone you just randomly meet seems friendly, chats, walks and hangs out with you for an hour before getting you alone and robbing you for something, I would call that a smart tactic, why the fuck would you trust some random guy who walked up to you and just chatted? why must everyone assume everyone else is friendly only to get sore when they get robbed, its supposed to be the apocalypse, people die, people get robbed and bad shit happens. 

Why not report something if you feel a rule is broken? instead of using the system as it was made to work, people just complain about the rules as a whole to get them changed instead of using them as intended, who gives a fuck if they have your loot afterwards, you go out and gear up again and they have warning points and a time out. They continue that behavior they get permed.

The bad apples are a problem, but reporting said bad apples is the solution, not changing the rules to fuck everyone else out of an engaging RP experience that has now been pussified because people cant stand losing their gear.

I'm terribly sorry if this comes across as attacking you, but reading though what you wrote really got under my skin, its literally everything I find wrong with the community as a whole at this current moment.  I'm not trying to be a dick to you in particular, its just I feel like punishing everyone for the mistakes of a few is the wrong way to go. 

I dunno, I think the rules are okay ish. I think what they are asking, is that you provide a rp build up to a robbery. You talk to the folks first. "Hey man.. fine evening. And what an even finer looking hat you have. Can I wear it? ... no? Why not?". Ect. Ect. Instead of the "Hands up Hands up! I want the hat!".

You can still initiate for the hat.. you just gata build up to it now.

24 minutes ago, Hex said:

If someone you just randomly meet seems friendly, chats, walks and hangs out with you for an hour before getting you alone and robbing you for something, I would call that a smart tactic, why the fuck would you trust some random guy who walked up to you and just chatted? why must everyone assume everyone else is friendly only to get sore when they get robbed, its supposed to be the apocalypse, people die, people get robbed and bad shit happens

The problem with this and what gets under my skin is that if we start to go hide in the corners of the map and not RP with anyone people say we are killing the server.

Where is the middle ground then?

My character is a cop and it's in his nature to help, but if some twat robs me for no reason I'm going to stop RPing with randoms and stick with my friends.

Which leads to alienating new people that join the community cause only the bad apples are left roaming around.

I get why you are upset and I apologise if I got under your skin, but there is a limit.

Walking and talking. With me looking for your gear actually just to rob me cause you want a better colored vest is stupid and doesn't make logical sense.

Specially if the person has asked for items the whole time and when I'm about to log robs me off everything just to be a asshole.

Again, there has to be a limit and if we as grown individuals can't look after ourselves to behave in a respectful manner. Then it means we have to get some rules in place.

Posted (edited)

The way I see it you can take anything you want from my characters, as long as the role-play is fun for both parties. I've personally never initiated on anyone for gear, but I have no issue with those that do. People seem to forget that being robbed for stuff can help develop your character, and it seems like some people get pissed of OOC by anyone who attempts to rob them.

I don't really care if they person robbing me has a valid reason, as long as he's interacting with me, or anyone else who has been taken hostage at the same time. It's the silence and the quick gear robberies that put me off wanting to put any effort into reacting to what's happening. But now getting into hostile RP is far and few between in my experiance.

I get that the rules changed to try and stop people from just doing quick gear robberies and playing a psycho who takes everyone they meets hostage, but at least when those things where a regular interaction people where more cautious about who they approached. I'm honestly tired of people approaching me like it's a Sunday morning in their local park.

Edited by Hellspawn