Server time (UTC): 2020-10-23, 02:18
Sign in to follow this  
Zanaan

Irradiated Military Base

So another question, this one more lore based, but the irradiated military base is still a thing (I'm assuming) however what are the consequences to those that enter the area, and what protective gear is required to enter? Asked only because we were interrogating a member who entered with a gas mask and claimed to have something on him to 'clean' the radiation off.

Calling in @Major and @PCJames for this one since it's lore based. 

Edited by Lady In Blue

This was never specified as it probably should've been, but exposure for more than a couple minutes will do some damage. If you have to go in, wear gloves, and a gas mask but even then you are still going to receive radiation and you should rp it out. If you find that people aren't rp'ing it properly and powergaming RadX into the game, then report them for powergaming.  

-skrrrtt. misread-

Edited by Jamie

Alright, and now onto second hand exposure. What are the consequences of second hand exposure of potentially contaminated items (Ie blood samples collected from the mass graves, etc), and would burning all my belongings as well as vigorous cleaning be enough, or are all of our characters now essentially living corpses so to speak?

So i'm a tad confused on this as to per what we mean by radiation and as to what type of radiation? Cuss those factors alone really change what were talking about for example a single type of radiation like Alpha waves which paper can stop or Neutron waves to which effect even concrete doesn't stop. I'm just questioning about this as if we don't specify what type of radiation then welp its hard to really say what type of gear is needed.

Just now, Erik said:

Alright, and now onto second hand exposure. What are the consequences of second hand exposure of potentially contaminated items (Ie blood samples collected from the mass graves, etc), and would burning all my belongings as well as vigorous cleaning be enough, or are all of our characters now essentially living corpses so to speak?

Burning would fix it yeah. You are only going to have radiation sickness if you stay in the pit or near it for long periods of time. The main reason you have to wear protective gear is because of biological contamination that will get you sick and make you turn. 

Second-handed exposure would be an issue, but a thorough wash down and even burning of severely contaminated items would fix this issue. Same situation if you were to hang around a mass grave for long enough. If you contained the blood samples it would be safe unless it broke and got in your mouth or broken skin. It's still hit and miss for second-hand exposure. Even if you were in the zone and you left without hanging out too long or going to the destroyed buildings or near the pit (where biological contamination is strongest) the chance of somebody getting sicks as a result of your clothes and items would be about 20%. SO with a washdown or burning that percentage would fall. 

Me and @ExioHave been rp'ing searching for hazmat suits for when we go in. We have RP planned for it. Thats my suggestion though.

@Denton Fitz @BSJasonGames @Erik

In terms of the actual type of radiation, let's just say it wouldn't be far off from what is laying around Chernobyl. Iodine, Cesium, Strontium, etc. The effect of this material has been lost to a certain extent due to time, half-lives, and other factors, but lead suits would be ideal if you wanted to stop most of the various types of waves you might encounter. Soon as the current event series is over I'll be doing one relating to Virus origins and ground zero stuff.

The biological contamination is your biggest threat at this site. 

This thread is a good reference:

Appreciate the clarification. Brought up the question as its my understanding both IC and OOC that a group has been in and out of the radiated zone at least once, and wanted clarification before leaving feedback.

6 hours ago, Major said:

Burning would fix it yeah. You are only going to have radiation sickness if you stay in the pit or near it for long periods of time. The main reason you have to wear protective gear is because of biological contamination that will get you sick and make you turn. 

Second-handed exposure would be an issue, but a thorough wash down and even burning of severely contaminated items would fix this issue. Same situation if you were to hang around a mass grave for long enough. If you contained the blood samples it would be safe unless it broke and got in your mouth or broken skin. It's still hit and miss for second-hand exposure. Even if you were in the zone and you left without hanging out too long or going to the destroyed buildings or near the pit (where biological contamination is strongest) the chance of somebody getting sicks as a result of your clothes and items would be about 20%. SO with a washdown or burning that percentage would fall. 

Hey so just checking, any zombie pit is considered a biohazard zone?

I had used a black raincoat with gloves and fireman trousers, gas mask gorka helmet as it appears to fit tightly with gaps and roleplayed it as a hazmat outfit as we don't have them yet ingane till 0.63 I had changed my clothing after I left  how strong exactly is the radiation ?? 

50 minutes ago, GaryCash said:

Hey so just checking, any zombie pit is considered a biohazard zone?

Yes.

39 minutes ago, Elijah Johnson said:

I had used a black raincoat with gloves and fireman trousers, gas mask gorka helmet as it appears to fit tightly with gaps and roleplayed it as a hazmat outfit as we don't have them yet ingane till 0.63 I had changed my clothing after I left  how strong exactly is the radiation ?? 

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/86463-united-nations-investigation-case-ground-zero/