Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 00:24
Sign in to follow this  
Sylva

Question regarding group impersonation

First of all, I would like to say props to Anarchy for coming to an OOC understanding before any of this came to a report. I really appreciate you guys taking care of our concerns instead of us solving it in a report. Nevertheless, I'd like a formal answer, from either @Rolle or an administrator, as to the nature of impersonation. 

The situation was on ErikRP's stream. Anarchy took mountain men hostage, and two people can be seen wearing full CDF gear, including, most noticeably, the yellow armband that our group wears. They can be seen assisting in the holdup of the Mountain Men, and upon talking to @Blackburn, apparently his dynamic was initiated on by Anarchy members posing as Svoboda/CDF and it influenced his relations with us ICly. While never straight saying "I am Svoboda/CDF" it is definitely implied. 

Personally, while I see that its not a violation of the letter of the law, its a clear break of the spirit of the law. I would like some clarification from administrators, and some input from the rest of the community regarding the rule, the situation, and impersonation in general.

To my knowledge, CDF is a lore group and can be 'impersonated', just not specifically 'Svobada brigade'. A true answer from the man himself will really help me out.

I am pretty sure the two guys wearing the yellow armbands said nothing to anyone and no one asked who they were honestly in the situation I would have been much more worried about the 10 plus blue arm band guys, but I also echo what @LemonRP said  let the big guys give us a definitive answer on who can and cant be impersonated and to what limit.

Edited by TomTom1314

It's a tough call, but I'd have to see the actual situation pan out. 

Rule 5.5 is quite clear. I won’t comment on a specific incident, mind you, but if I were to don the clothing of a group, say I’m from that group, and start holding people up? Yikes. The victims would then start taking group members hostage, mis-id all around. If you find rule 5.5 to be broken, report it so all sides of a story can be collected and a decision can be made

- User was Warned for this Post -

- User was Warned for this Post -

If you wanted to pass through a town filled with the Owl Bandits and the only option would be to blend in wearing their rainbow coloured armbands, that's allowed. You're not going around slandering their reputation and stating that's you're the Owls. But, if you were too start posing as other players on the server and robbing people saying "I am Owl Chief of Owl Bandits, feel my wrath" then you would be breaking the impersonation rule. 

Unfortunately, there is no rule saying you're not allowed to wear group uniforms since there's only limited clothes and armbands in-game. Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by Jamie

What Jamie said

10 hours ago, Rolle said:

What Jamie said

• 5.5 Do not impersonate another individual or group in a way that would bring harm to them, their group or their reputation.

Just went back and read this. To clarify, if I were to say... claim I was Anarchy or another group, but I don't initiate, engage in hostilities, or slander their reputation while claiming I was part of Anarchy, I would be fine?

48 minutes ago, N-Tox said:
  • 5.5 Do not impersonate another individual or group in a way that would bring harm to them, their group or their reputation.

Just went back and read this. To clarify, if I were to say... claim I was Anarchy or another group, but I don't initiate, engage in hostilities, or slander their reputation while claiming I was part of Anarchy, I would be fine?

But my point is that them just being there slanders the reputation of the group. Even if they don't say anything, they look complicit in the actions.

3 minutes ago, Sylva said:

But my point is that them just being there slanders the reputation of the group. Even if they don't say anything, they look complicit in the actions.

If they dress like you in a firefight, that's a tactical thing. If they say they are apart of CDF or are you that is impersonation. If they spread rumours, that is different.

I had a million people use to impersonate my group and pretend they were doctors and say they were apart of my group. But if I knew it was rumours, we could normally prove them wrong.

56 minutes ago, N-Tox said:

It'll always be a case-by-case basis. But, that being said, provided you do not "bring harm to them, their group, or their reputation", you'd be fine. Don't be hostile -- that gives the victim valid reason to initiate on Anarchy in their eyes when reality is that they cannot.