Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 09:14
Sign in to follow this  
NebulousCass

Who Said It? [Radio Chatter]

Hello, and thank you for taking the time and care to help.

In the Radio Chatter forum thread, I have seen multiple times where a person will post their character saying something, using only quotes, without any emotes around it indicating who the character is that is saying the particular thing. While this itself is fine, and I don't see a problem with it the following scenario is something I've been wondering about.

Scenario: 

Player 1 makes a post on the Radio Chatter forum thread, without using emotes or any identifiable markers for the particular person that is calling out over the radio and only uses quotes such as "Hello, this is a call to any and all that can hear this." Player 1 was playing Character A at the time the thread was created. A few hours later, Player 1 switches to Character B. Player 2 reads the radio chatter forum thread around the same time but after Player 1 changed active characters and sees that Player 1 is currently playing character B, and not Character A which is the character that made the radio call. Player 2 encounters Player 1 in game as their Character B and RPs out their response to Player 1's radio call, yet Player 1's character B claims no knowledge of this. Player 2 is confused, because the voice would match up (From their perspective) and could cause some awkward moments or down right utter confusion.

Sometimes there are quite hostile things said by characters about or to another character and mistaken identity because of a what I feel to be "Meta" issue (Forum displays active character, regardless of what character made the post) could result in unnecessary reports, BadRP and over all headaches for those involved.

My question would be then, is there some rule in place currently that states you need to indicate which character is currently speaking over the radio to avoid such confusion, or how can this situation be handled ICly in game if such a situation were to occur? 

I don't believe there's an actual rule in place, but most people generally indicate what character they are using when on the radio thread unless it's a super edgy horror-type transmission.

1 minute ago, Raptor said:

I don't believe there's an actual rule in place, but most people generally indicate what character they are using when on the radio thread unless it's a super edgy horror-type transmission.

This is more for the situations in which there is no indication of which character is speaking. Specifically how would a situation like the one described above end up getting handled ICly? Would it be OK for OP to OOC text that it was a different character that made the radio call? How would OP prove this since the post had no identifying information? 

If there are no indications of which character is speaking then there isn’t much you can do. Same with the “he puts on a Russian accent” posts. He could be playing Character A or B. But, this is a pretty nonexistent issue, imo. If somebody talks shit about me on the radio I don’t respond and tend not to act on it IG