Server time (UTC): 2020-10-23, 02:08
Sign in to follow this  
Wire

[PRO TIP] - Tabbing Out of Game

I've noticed a few players randomly firing a weapon into the air randomly (or punching the air if unarmed) after standing still for a bit. Most of us know that is due to the DayZ bug that registers your mouse click when tabbing in and out of the game. Because I know it's an issue that could lead to some immersion-breaking moments in game, I'll share the secret to not shooting or punching when tabbing back into the game.

TIP:

When tabbing in and out of DayZ, be sure to hit the ESC. key before tabbing or clicking out of the game. This will open the DayZ menu and will prevent you from accidentally firing your weapon when tabbing back into the game!

I hope this helps someone out! I have seen some really close calls (meaning players almost getting shot) when this glitch happens and someone fires a weapon unintentionally.

Of course you should always be mindful when holding a weapon in game, but I think if everyone started practicing this tip, maybe it would prevent future accidents.

Edited by TheWireLord

Thanks @TheWireLord, pretty handy tip for members that may not be so familiar with how the game works. Handy tip! ;) 

What I often noticed when tabbing back in (thankfully it was either just fists that were swung or weapons that were raised but without bullets being fired) is that it was almost "stuck", so you had to click to stop that "loop".

My question basically is: If DayZ is simply wonky and registers clicks or bugs out at times to go into attack mode, would it not possibly mean pressing Escape first would not lead to a difference as it could then happen when you press Escape again?

Or is this actually a guaranteed way to prevent those mistakes or errors?

9 minutes ago, Combine said:

My question basically is: If DayZ is simply wonky and registers clicks or bugs out at times to go into attack mode, would it not possibly mean pressing Escape first would not lead to a difference as it could then happen when you press Escape again?

Great question!

From my experience, this tip works 99% of the time. The 1% may not even exist because I couldn't remember if I had hit ESCAPE before tabbingout or not, but as far as I can tell this works basically every time. Think of it like this:

The game registers a CLICK as the 'attack' action when not in a menu. When in a menu, however, a CLICK is used to select a menu item and the game does not register the input as the 'attack' action. Therefor, pressing ESC. (opening the menu) before tabbing out will ensure that you will return to the game inside of a menu and it will not read your CLICK as the 'attack' action.

Technically the same would work if you open your inventory or chat before tabbing out but I found that pressing ESC. was the easiest option.

5 minutes ago, TheWireLord said:

The game registers a CLICK as the 'attack' action when not in a menu. When in a menu, however, a CLICK is used to select a menu item and the game does not register the input as the 'attack' action.

From that perspective, it is a good point of course.

It really depends on what leads to this error. IF this bug basically results in the click "looping" in general, it might persist despite the menu "switch". It could also mean that the menu blocks this "bug" as you stated because it simply treats it like a menu click and "blocks" the loop I experienced.

It surely warrants further testing. Will try some things tomorrow to get better implications about the controls, menus and tabbing. Totally turning this into (Dean) Rocket science.

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

Edited by Combine

1 minute ago, Combine said:

It really depends on what leads to this error. IF this bug basically results in the click "looping" in general, it might persist despite the menu "switch". It could also mean that the menu blocks this "bug" as you stated because it simply treats it like a menu click and "blocks" the loop I experienced.

Yea I know what you mean, I've had that 'looping' issue in the past as well (like continuously punching the air until you click again). I've been tabbing in and out during this conversation using my method and haven't had an issue yet, but of course I'd love for you and everyone else to give it a shot and let me know if it works!

image.jpeg.0e77121b8a86cbc6f5b2115dee09c89e.jpeg

Someone had brought this issue up once before here, but in this current patch this is important information.

I guess Steam overlay could also work. Ah well, will try both methods and see how it goes. If this happens regardless, I will try to remember posting in here. If not: Case closed, just have to spread the word on occasion.

Still, even though you may do it, I would not stand in front of people going AFK temporarily if they have any sort of weapon in hand. You never know if it might happen to someone else not aware of the "fix" or forgetting about it.

9 minutes ago, Oliv said:

Someone had brought this issue up once before here, but in this current patch this is important information.

Oh good! I didn't realize it was addressed before, I just know it use to be an issue I'd had and seen before in the past. Hope this helps others out!

6 minutes ago, Combine said:

Still, even though you may do it, I would not stand in front of people going AFK temporarily if they have any sort of weapon in hand. You never know if it might happen to someone else not aware of the "fix" or forgetting about it.

I agree! Being aware of where  you AFK and/or have a weapon drawn is always important and should always be thought about first before going AFK. Hell, anymore, if I go AFK around someone  I just sit somewhere and put my head down as if I'm snoozing anyway.

Edited by TheWireLord

This doesnt work always though. Many times when i have tabbed i have gone to esc menu first and still the bug comes out.

Best solution is to not have weapon on your hand when tabbing out

Here an example where i fucked up :

This should also help:

15 hours ago, Combine said:

-✂-

I also use Steam overlay, since trying this I had no problem with freezing or spraying a full mag into god knows.

I remember getting tired of the matter of fact my game was constantly freezing every time I TAB out of game. Spraying a full mag into my friend every time I TAB back in wasn't that fun either. So now I never TAB out with my weapon in my hands anymore, I always place it on my back. I know when double carrying it's impossible to do that but honestly, I don't see the need for two weapons unless you are holding for a friend.

TAB and SHIFT to get the Steam overlay before tabbing out helped a lot, my game hasn't since frozen at all since I started trying this.

Sometimes I know the OPs suggestion doesn't always work.

Edited by Lady In Blue

6 hours ago, Itsmez said:

Best solution is to not have weapon on your hand when tabbing out

Here an example where i fucked up :

@Itsmez - Ah I see, do you remember if this was in Fullscreen or Borderless Fullscreen? I have a theory that the 'looping' problem (where the game registers the CLICK is being held down) is mainly happening when in Fullscreen mode and tabbing back in.

And I agree 100% to prevent the issue all together, it is best to put away your weapon before tabbing out.

4 hours ago, Hebi Kotei said:

This should also help:

@Hebi Kotei - Yea I use this every time I launch the game. Pressing ALT + ENTER is also a quick way to switch between Fulscreen and Windowed. I don't seem to encounter any problems when in Borderless mode and tabbing back in.

2 hours ago, Lady In Blue said:

TAB and SHIFT to get the Steam overlay before tabbing out helped a lot, my game hasn't since frozen at all since I started trying this.

@Lady In Blue - This is also a great idea! I'll to try this out as well. I agree with not constantly carrying two large weapons. One .22 is plenty for my character, David. Quinn could attest to that.

2 hours ago, TheWireLord said:

-✂-

Let me know how this goes for you, I want to know if this actually works for you. Works for me so I don't see a problem!

Edited by Lady In Blue

Or chamber a ruined bullet as a "safety" mechanism and whenever u need to fire at something just press R to get fresh bullet it :) That way u dont have to worry about wasting ammo or shooting something u didnt want to shoot.

On 17/04/2018 at 8:54 AM, Itsmez said:

-✂-

I wasn't even mad.

Community members, that video is a good example of why you shou- I mean, why tabbing out like he did is not a good idea.

I think @FieJaxon has done a thread on this? It’s annoying but I guess that’s what you get for playing dayz