Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2020-10-30, 21:34 HALLOWEEN SALE
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfaye

Quality Control.

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm not the most involved when it comes to the forum side of DayZRP. Not many of you will know me. One thing I'm sure we all have in common though is indulging in the Character Biography section, just to see what new and interesting people have arrived in Chernarus.

I would like to apologize now if this has already been addressed. As of recent, I'm seeing what is essentially; half-assed, meme attempts at characters for a cheap laugh or just as an excuse to mess around in the game. I'm not going to name names simply because those people know who they are and you need not go far to find these types of characters.

I would like it if people didn't look at this as a complaint and more as an opportunity to clamp down on the low-quality level. Whilst I understand not everyone is fluently English, they should at least spell-check and punctuate their backstories and most important of all make sense!

 

Thank you for reading. 

Share this post


Link to post

Some people define their characters by their character pages, others define them by what they do in game. I've met good and bad characters with amazing pages, and amazing characters with hastily made pages. Regardless, judge characters by their game actions, not what a page says about them. Not every page can be a beautiful work of art, but I see where you're coming from when you say that some put little effort into their pages. As far as spelling and grammar goes, as long as the point makes it across it's fine to me.

When meme characters pop up you're free to report them. While an "effort requirement" isn't in place, characters must sync up with the lore and certainly can't be memes.

Hope this clears things up.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Whitename said:

Some people define their characters by their character pages, others define them by what they do in game. I've met good and bad characters with amazing pages, and amazing characters with hastily made pages. Regardless, judge characters by their game actions, not what a page says about them. Not every page can be a beautiful work of art, but I see where you're coming from when you say that some put little effort into their pages. As far as spelling and grammar goes, as long as the point makes it across it's fine to me.

When meme characters pop up you're free to report them. While an "effort requirement" isn't in place, characters must sync up with the lore and certainly can't be memes.

Hope this clears things up.

 

Thank you for understanding. Whilst I agree with you I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there have been both outright memes and subtle ones. but I'll be sure to report any that seem to be taking it to far.

Share this post


Link to post

image.thumb.png.8b71b56370c09ab14ecf21c776270483.png

Like, really? This is fucking sad. 

Share this post


Link to post

Reminder, if you see a Character Page that appears to be Trolly/Doesn't fit with the Lore please Report it. We scour over the CP listing everyday and sometimes we miss one or two, or we reach out the owner and they don't respond and leave the CP up. We do our best to catch them all and hope to PM the owners letting the know why their CP is not considered valid for our community, but we cannot force people to adhere to a standard when making a CP, we can only enforce our Standards after they have created it so we can review it as a Team and determine if it needs to be addressed or not.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Brayces said:

Reminder, if you see a Character Page that appears to be Trolly/Doesn't fit with the Lore please Report it. We scour over the CP listing everyday and sometimes we miss one or two, or we reach out the owner and they don't respond and leave the CP up. We do our best to catch them all and hope to PM the owners letting the know why their CP is not considered valid for our community, but we cannot force people to adhere to a standard when making a CP, we can only enforce our Standards after they have created it so we can review it as a Team and determine if it needs to be addressed or not.

I'll be sure to report any I see as either purposefully being unserious or trolling.

Share this post


Link to post

There has to be a way to stop this kind of stuff. Like, there's a solid three others on the front page which are legitimately just autistic. 

image.thumb.png.e03d857d67a36ea6f4ecd2c392279b94.png

There has to be some more efficient way to police this kind of stuff. There needs to be. Perhaps you make character pages have to be approved by Loremasters or something of the sort? It'd be a pain in the ass for the people who do it right, but It'd put a definitive end to this...cancer.

image.thumb.png.eb5c8ee22ee75191697b2a20b1d95863.png

Edited by Sylva

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Sylva said:

There has to be a way to stop this kind of stuff. Like, there's a solid three others on the front page which are legitimately just autistic. 

image.thumb.png.e03d857d67a36ea6f4ecd2c392279b94.png

There has to be some more efficient way to police this kind of stuff. There needs to be. Perhaps you make character pages have to be approved by Loremasters or something of the sort? It'd be a pain in the ass for the people who do it right, but It'd put a definitive end to this...cancer.

The community I came from had an entire section dedicated to characters just like this, be it with additional fields, however, the point is they had an approval system as you are describing, a certain level of quality was expected. Failure to meet the requirements would have your biography hidden from public view until the feedback was met. Personally, I'd like to see a goverened system which whilst I understand that the goal of DayzRP is to be inclusive of all but sometimes the whitelist application system seems to let through a few strays as mentioned above. Not talking badly about application staff reviewers but we need to sift out the unserious from the serious to further prevent this.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Sylva said:

There has to be a way to stop this kind of stuff. Like, there's a solid three others on the front page which are legitimately just autistic. 

We don't want that kind of manual workload on the staff team, things should be as easy and automated as they can. Right now it wouldn't be a problem, but when we get 2-3 server with 0.63 they will be, this kind of workload scales badly with number of users.

Simple solution is to rely on the community to go through character pages and report those that you think are sub-par. Then we can focus on just these and not everything else - just like with forum posts.

Share this post


Link to post

Bring in the Character Moderators tbh, I will happily be one.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, KyleRP said:

Bring in the Character Moderators tbh, I will happily be one.

Seconded.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, KyleRP said:

Bring in the Character Moderators tbh, I will happily be one.

I'm OCD when it comes to biographies, I'm about maintaining a high-quality level, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, KyleRP said:

Bring in the Character Moderators tbh, I will happily be one.

same no doubt

Share this post


Link to post

Don't worry, with the new whitelist system that is currently in development, the character creation of the first character will be part of the whitelist process.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Rolle said:

Don't worry, with the new whitelist system that is currently in development, the character creation of the first character will be part of the whitelist process.

+1 to this being implemented.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Rolle said:

Don't worry, with the new whitelist system that is currently in development, the character creation of the first character will be part of the whitelist process.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post

Like said before by @Whitename, if you feel offended by a character page feel free to Report it. I have seen character pages that seem to be mess about's but with such heavy loads of them It is impossible for the staff team to keep up. Until we find another solution! 

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Sylva said:

There has to be a way to stop this kind of stuff. Like, there's a solid three others on the front page which are legitimately just autistic. 

image.thumb.png.e03d857d67a36ea6f4ecd2c392279b94.png

There has to be some more efficient way to police this kind of stuff. There needs to be. Perhaps you make character pages have to be approved by Loremasters or something of the sort? It'd be a pain in the ass for the people who do it right, but It'd put a definitive end to this...cancer.

image.thumb.png.eb5c8ee22ee75191697b2a20b1d95863.png

There is.

Kicks from the server for invalid names are done to prevent someone like "Animetiddies" going onto the server. PMs are sent to invalid character page owners in order to change their shit. Whether they read it or not, thats on them. If they do, and change it, good on them. If they don't, well. There's mild consequences. B)

Share this post


Link to post

Something I forgot to mention is that it seems to be that a lot of people misinterpret what "Features" refers to. They must associate Features with "Skills" rather than what it is meant to be, Physical Features or discrepancies. Just odd seeing someone describe their physical features as Magician or Good Driver. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...