Server time (UTC): 2020-10-20, 14:26
Sign in to follow this  
Shanoby

Add subforum under DayZ Groups

Untitled.thumb.png.7cff8ccab1273488c486f60943e52f65.png

So with a small edit, I added "Work In Progress Groups" under subforums.

How would it work?

1. You make an idea into "Work In Progress Groups" with all the requierments and polish it. Which staff is not required to check at all.

2. Once you feel it is good for review you just copy/paste it into "DayZ Group Ideas" and thats where the staff continues like normal, review and all that. (If accepted delete the one from WIP or leave it).

3. Get accepted, given 7 days to work on it, sent back to WIP or archived per request (graveyard).

Benefits

1) People can work on their group idea in public and get feedback straight away, from the start of the creation. So they can adapt more drastically to fit better into game.

2) We used to have great feature called "Draft". Where you could see exactly how your page looked like on forums when posted, doing it in PM as it stands now, does not give you the full idea of it. I am very much into aesthetic of group page, cos I feel it shows how much motivation you have for it and is a first thing that people notice, pulling in more people or shoving them away imo.

3) More people are aware that certain idea is being worked on and not just archived forever. Example, usually I assume when the group is archived, it is abandoned idea which in some cases it is not, like my own group.

4) People have more time to recruit and not have to wait 30 days after every 7 days of "meet the requierments or be archived" as it stands. I feel it hurts creativity and chance for some groups to pop up. I should know I tried 3+ times to bring it back from archive before I got members and even then I heard

"I never knew this idea excisted previously, I would have joined earlier", which to me proves the point, a week is not enough to recruit complete strangers from the community into an idea.

5) Staff has to pay less attention to "DayZ Group Ideas" and just review the idea. (maybe)

Drawbacks

1) Another subforum community has to check so it would not be abused (trolling). But I mean, if regular community/group rules (seriouse ideas only) are enforced there aswell I see no issue. Plus community will keep an eye on it anyways having "Report" feature built in. So I do not think staff will have more work... but maybe Im wrong?

I hope community can see the benefits or bring out more drawbacks :)

Edited by Shanoby

I have to give that a +1. I’ve group ideas I want to post and either get feedback, or give away(with logo and story and everything written up), but not necessarily want to leave anarchy anytime soon.

I believe this is something we had in mod days.

It definitely helps the creators of the group to gain feedback on WIP Groups, and not just pop up out of nowhere.

It would also add to the recruiting for people interested, thus making it quicker for groups to be accepted, if all other check marks pass.

+1

I think it's more work than needed. Then I have to moderate another forum section, move stuff from work in progress to ideas, then hopefully one day to approved. I just don't see the point in something when it's something that can be done on a google doc.

1 minute ago, Oliv said:

I think it's more work than needed. Then I have to moderate another forum section, move stuff from work in progress to ideas, then hopefully one day to approved. I just don't see the point in something when it's something that can be done on a google doc.

2. Once you feel it is good for review you just copy/paste it into "DayZ Group Ideas" and thats where the staff continues like normal, review and all that. (If accepted delete the one from WIP or leave it).

This is something OP would do, not staff.

4 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

This is something OP would do, not staff.

Is there an issue with making a google doc, sending it to a few trusted people you appreciate feedback from, perhaps an LM and other staff members?

19 minutes ago, Oliv said:

Is there an issue with making a google doc, sending it to a few trusted people you appreciate feedback from, perhaps an LM and other staff members?

I explained the issues under "Benefits", I think I covered most of it.

I mean sure, we can stick with our 4+ friends and keep making new ideas with them or we could meet new people in the community that we usually do not play with, how can we reach them?

By presenting them with new interesting group ideas, they might pitch in and we could have more friends and better relationships :D not just same cliques that we are used to.

Currently we have only 7 days for reaching out to the other community members... which is not enough time, again explained under "Benefits".

I think that there are lot of benefits to it, dont you think?

Edited by Shanoby

There is a post to find and recruit people.

-1 from me. We dont need WIP groups. Just post it when its finished. 

Edit:

1) People can work on their group idea in public and get feedback straight away, from the start of the creation. So they can adapt more drastically to fit better into game.

You and your group can work together on google docs and can ask your friends for their feedback. Constant editing and shitposting comments would flood the forums unneccesarily.

2) We used to have great feature called "Draft". Where you could see exactly how your page looked like on forums when posted, doing it in PM as it stands now, does not give you the full idea of it. I am very much into aesthetic of group page, cos I feel it shows how much motivation you have for it and is a first thing that people notice, pulling in more people or shoving them away imo.

Post a suggestion to get "Draft" previews back. 

3) More people are aware that certain idea is being worked on and not just archived forever. Example, usually I assume when the group is archived, it is abandoned idea which in some cases it is not, like my own group.

Dont assume anything in Archive is an abandoned idea, or even a failed one. Some people archive because of activity and RL reasons or are forced to archive for whatever other reason. 

4) People have more time to recruit and not have to wait 30 days after every 7 days of "meet the requierments or be archived" as it stands. I feel it hurts creativity and chance for some groups to pop up. I should know I tried 3+ times to bring it back from archive before I got members and even then I heard

"I never knew this idea excisted previously, I would have joined earlier", which to me proves the point, a week is not enough to recruit complete strangers from the community into an idea.

Post a suggestion to remove the 30 day cool down. Personally, I think we should leave it to keep people from spamming groups (memes or terrible ideas)  You could also be proactive and actively PM new members of the website to recruit or get out there and RP. Mosy people find groups through "Whose rp did you enjoy?" Thread or through rp in general. 

5) Staff has to pay less attention to "DayZ Group Ideas" and just review the idea. (maybe)

I dont believe this is the case as it would give Admins and Lore Masters (as well as other staff) another forum to keep track of. It doesn't decrease work load. It increases it. 

11 minutes ago, Taryn said:

There is a post to find and recruit people.

-1 from me. We dont need WIP groups. Just post it when its finished. 

Maybe this analogy works:

Im employer looking workers for my company.

Instead putting out an add to look for workforce I would go out and knock on peoples doors one by one hoping they are qualified or interested... seems inefficient.

Never understood why that thread is a thing even.

+ there are more benefits not just recruitment issue.

Edited by Shanoby

Edited my reply to better clarify. 

It was changed because it wasn't needed previously, if it's ready to go.. put it up, if it isn't simply finish it and get the required amount of people needed to actually have the group in the first place.

Staff doesn't need something else added to the list of 'things to do' because there's already enough babysitting on this forum as it is.

This seems to be to be focused on people who aren't quite getting there with groups despite multiple attempts, perhaps they should take the advice I stated above and have underlined so it's clear for yourself and everyone else reading.

-1 leave it as it is, clearly it's working as intended.

12 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

Maybe this analogy works:

Im employer looking workers for my company.

Instead putting out an add to look for workforce I would go out and knock on peoples doors one by one hoping they are qualified or interested... seems inefficient.

Your analogy is backward. You're not an employer. You're not hiring people to do a job for you. You're looking for people to PLAY with. Maybe you should rethink your recruiting tactics instead of having them come to you. Even hunters have to use bait. :)

+1 Honestly, I feel like it would be a lot easier to post a WIP group than create a discussion thread trying to promote a group idea/recruit members. Feedback and general interest can be traced back to a single thread that can be moved to the appropriate subforum with ease.

@Taryn Creating a group with friends is a lot different than creating a group by yourself, @Shanoby's analogy is correct (more or less), as people joining a group that isn't their friends have to be attracted solely to the actual group idea, as you cant base your opinions off the people in the group.

Shanoby's suggestion, to me, has the potential to ease the recruitment process and make making a group a lot easier. This thread is not relevant, as people posting in this thread are desperate to a certain extent and already have set characters that may not be compatible with a recruiting group. WIP groups can put the selection of groups on a platter to be critiqued, admired and sought after.

Feedback and praise make the world go round, why not make it easier to give and receive. We can let the community help to develop the groups they join and/or roleplay with!

Has shanoby become the new me? 
Throwing up suggestions every other day :L 

But +1 from me. Gives people breathing room without staff breathing down their throats :D

Its a +1 for me.

I think you should add a poll to this thread

Edited by WhiteKnight

1 hour ago, Taryn said:

I think if you plan to make a group too, you could discuss it with friends of your character (if you have any) or try to meet like minded characters, to discuss such a thing with not all recruitment would have to be done Via the forums unless you really wanted it to.
And the majority of players i've met we've known each other for about a day or two, traveled together then spoken about maybe sticking it out together, some will reject it and like a few i've met they'll be happy with the idea. I guess it can also depend on the type of group you plan to run or, the methods of recruitment too.

It's a pretty cool idea all in all, i'd have to say +1 because i myself have a WIP group, and feel maybe my friends opinions could be a little biased towards it, whereas from everyone else who reads it could give my valued feedback allowing me to develop the group more. 

I don't want WiP groups, as they sit there for a very long time without getting anywhere and it's usually filled with bad ideas that haven't been thought through very much. It's then hard to find the real good groups among a bunch of WiP concepts that will never get approved. 

19 minutes ago, Rolle said:

I don't want WiP groups, as they sit there for a very long time without getting anywhere and it's usually filled with bad ideas that haven't been thought through very much. It's then hard to find the real good groups among a bunch of WiP concepts that will never get approved. 

So thats a big no no, no matter what I say?

cool beans...

2 minutes ago, Shanoby said:

So thats a big no no, no matter what I say?

cool beans...

Well you're not exactly convincing, things were changed to the way they are now for a reason :D 

5 minutes ago, Rolle said:

Well you're not exactly convincing, things were changed to the way they are now for a reason :D 

All change is not good... but hey... thats why you are the boss.

Edited by Shanoby

Great discussion as usual /close

DuQlI4h.gif