Server time (UTC): 2020-10-29, 01:22
Sign in to follow this  
Tiviyl

Bears in DayZ

So I remember seeing that the devs were considering adding in bears to wildlife of the game.  That being said I have to ask you all the same question.

You are playing dayZ and you see a bear in game.  What would you do?  Run? Fight?

Me personally, I would run like hell!

71e00af99061d6c0f4407e53865e797aa33164ad.jpg

Well my character is a hunter with a fully decked AKM laser sights grenade launcher and 75 round mag so I would fight tbh

tbh id have to see if the devs make bears really hard to kill, or if they can be downed with less than a 60-round clip, lol

ill empty a mag into a bear, but if they cant be killed with anything less than like 120 bullets im dipping

their speed is a consideration too

Edited by Whitename

1 minute ago, Whitename said:

tbh id have to see if the devs make bears really hard to kill, or if they can be downed with less than a 60-round clip, lol

ill empty a mag into a bear, but if they cant be killed with anything less than like 120 bullets im dipping

their speed is a consideration too

Honestly I am hoping that they make them extremely tough.  like it will take 3-5 .308 shots to kill it or something to that effect.

Just now, TiviylScratch said:

Honestly I am hoping that they make them extremely tough.  like it will take 3-5 .308 shots to kill it or something to that effect.

i dont have a problem with that but if thats the case id be heading for the hills so fast

None of the devs have been outside a city before so I think bears would be just another unrealistic wildlife disaster, im looking at you wolves. 

Also bears being "tanks" is not true, they bleed just like everything else. 

Just now, Prince said:

None of the devs have been outside a city before so I think bears would be just another unrealistic wildlife disaster, im looking at you wolves. 

Also bears being "tanks" is not true, they bleed just like everything else. 

True, but from what I understood it could be a form of a Grizzly bear.  Those things are insainly tough in real life.  There is also the fact that we need to have a sort of "tank" enemy to deal with in game I think.  Will add to the scare and risk of walking in the woods.

bears are gonna be a bullet sponge, i have no doubts

Just now, Whitename said:

bears are gonna be a bullet sponge, i have no doubts

It would honestly be a huge shame if they weren't.  I wanna be able to fear those them.  not just have them be more of a annoyance like fear I get from the wolves.

It would honestly be a huge shame if they weren't.  I wanna be able to fear those them.  not just have them be more of a annoyance like fear I get from the wolves.

if the devs want to put a lot of fear into those bears, theyll need to make them spawn quite often. one bear alone that can take a lot of bullets isnt enough, imo. because you can probably take down one bear, but one bear after another after another and you'll start to prefer the roads over woods shortcuts

either that, or make them unrealistically strong and fast

True, but from what I understood it could be a form of a Grizzly bear.  Those things are insainly tough in real life.  There is also the fact that we need to have a sort of "tank" enemy to deal with in game I think.  Will add to the scare and risk of walking in the woods.

Another bear misconception, they are tough animals but not as tough as a bullet, no matter the size. 

Also like wolves, bears are intelligent and would not attack a human normally. Bear attacks are rare and are normally not driven by predation. Bears in game would probubly just fuck off once they heard or smelled you. 

I think anything that could make the game more lifelike would be a benefit to us all. Right now there are so many things unbelievable and unrealistic, so anything addition to wildlife would be awesome.

3 minutes ago, Whitename said:

if the devs want to put a lot of fear into those bears, theyll need to make them spawn quite often. one bear alone that can take a lot of bullets isnt enough, imo. because you can probably take down one bear, but one bear after another after another and you'll start to prefer the roads over woods shortcuts

either that, or make them unrealistically strong and fast

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

Another bear misconception, they are tough animals but not as tough as a bullet, no matter the size. 

Also like wolves, bears are intelligent and would not attack a human normally. Bear attacks are rare and are normally not driven by predation. Bears in game would probubly just fuck off once they heard or smelled you. 

I mean we could always RP that the bears we could meet in game are like mother bears.  That actually make more since as to why they are attacking us and are seemingly tougher cause they fight harder to protect their young.  That makes since right?

9 minutes ago, TiviylScratch said:

Looking into the types of bears in Russia, there only appears to be brown bears. Also, bears aren't made of titanium, a 7.62x39 bullet would tear a bear to shreds. It already ridiculous enough that wolves can 2 to 3 of them, we dont need a "tank" sucking up an unrealistic amount of ammo.

1 minute ago, Centurion said:

Looking into the types of bears in Russia, there only appears to be brown bears. Also, bears aren't made of titanium, a 7.62x39 bullet would tear a bear to shreds. It already ridiculous enough that wolves can 2 to 3 of them, we dont need a "tank" sucking up an unrealistic amount of ammo.

As much ammo spawns in this game and considering all of the ammo you can get in just one looting run, I would not mind having a bullet sponge enemy in the game.  But that is me.

As much ammo spawns in this game and considering all of the ammo you can get in just one looting run, I would not mind having a bullet sponge enemy in the game.  But that is me.

I would rather have groups of enemies to kill, like hordes, that I would have shoot a lot of ammo at rather than one particular enemy. The way zombies and animals deal damage in this game is all over the place. I've been one shot on full health by wolves before and having a tank bear come charging at me after I dump 20 rounds into it only to have it one shot me would royally piss me off :) 

I mean we could always RP that the bears we could meet in game are like mother bears.  That actually make more since as to why they are attacking us and are seemingly tougher cause they fight harder to protect their young.  That makes since right?

Not really mother bears will normally steer clear of humans and even in interactions if you are not in between her and the cubs you will probably not be attacked.  You are only attacked if you are deemed a threat, and even if the bear charges its normally a false charge to scare you away. Mother bears do not want to fight something that could potentially maim it, killing itself and its young eventually by starvation/infection. 

Bears are an animal to be respected, not feared. They are not mindless killing machines like movies like to make them out to be. 

Just now, Prince said:

Bears are an animal to be respected, not feared. They are not mindless killing machines like movies like to make them out to be. 

Perhaps make them passive until provoked?

1 minute ago, Whitename said:

Perhaps make them passive until provoked?

Coding that would be a nightmare 

1 minute ago, Centurion said:

I would rather have groups of enemies to kill, like hordes, that I would have shoot a lot of ammo at rather than one particular enemy. The way zombies and animals deal damage in this game is all over the place. I've been one shot on full health by wolves before and having a tank bear come charging at me after I dump 20 rounds into it only to have it one shot me would royally piss me off :) 

Fair enough but the one bullet sponge enemy would a better sort "boss" enemy than a horde.  I think a horde of zombies would hurt a server if the horde parameters are to large and there is a huge amount of zombies in one area like that.

Probably run the fuck away, because look at them!

I would do what he said haha ^

6 minutes ago, Prince said:

Coding that would be a nightmare 

Two states for the Bear object -- passive, and hostile. Until damage is done to the bear, or the player is within proximity for some time or the bear and the player collide, the bear follows similar pathfinding to Infected without a target. once the bear is provoked, change its state to hostile. coding in general is a nightmare, but its nothing they havent done before. they literally just have to use Infected pathfinding and change the criteria for hostility

Ya know what would make them dangerous? A knockdown effect.

If they do add bears, they're gonna be over powered and I’d be long gone if I hear them!