Server time (UTC): 2020-11-01, 00:23 HALLOWEEN SALE
Sign in to follow this  
Jono the giant

dayz closing itself and returning to desktop

hello all my dayz keeps closing and returning to the desktop it does not show a error box saying it has crashed it will run in game then just return me to my desktop for no reason with the game not running 

Happening to every bohemia game and server. 

Currently there is some unknown crash happening that will either close the game for users or give a bad_module_error crash for Windows 10 users. The cause is, thus far, unknown and has hit every BI game for about 8 hours now rendering them all unplayable for everyone. 

All we can do is wait until they patch the issue.

Edited by Erik

Just now, Erik said:

Windows 10 users. 

Happens to Windows 8 aswell .

4 minutes ago, Saints said:

Happens to Windows 8 aswell .

Hmm, thought only 10 got the error and the rest just crashed. Wonder what causes the difference then. 

You running the 64 bit version on 32 bit or vice versa? That could also be the issue.

There is a temporary fix that I've found to work. Go to your steam directory for Day Z

Hard drive - Steam - Steamapps - Common - DayZ

Then right click the executable files and click properties. Then set in the compatibility tab to disable full screen optimizations. It should fix the issue, it worked for me for the time being however it eventually did crash about an hour later.

Temporary fix for temporary problem.

Sorry to ressurect this.

I seem to be having an issue where I can be playing, and then all of a sudden the game closes ... ?  Any ideas?

11 minutes ago, Oscar Coates said:

Sorry to ressurect this.

I seem to be having an issue where I can be playing, and then all of a sudden the game closes ... ?  Any ideas?

It seems to be completely random when I press the escape button?

I suggest going directly to the local files for the game via

Steam Library > Properties > Local File > Browse Local Files > Right Click DayZLauncher.exe > Run as Administrator

This doesn't guarantee it won't crash every time, but I've found that it helps crashing stop just a bit more. A more temp-fix.

We're in may 2020 and this still happens to me, I'll be playing for 20 to 30 min and it just shuts down on me, is there any fix considering it's been more then 1 year since this problem started?