Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 21:43
Sign in to follow this  
Descendants

Increased Lore Awareness!!

Did you know there were lore updates?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So @Major has written hella important lore regarding DayzRP, but nobody even knows it exists. I hop in game and talk about the lore events that EVERY character IG should know about, but they don't even know what the fuck i'm talking about. Everyone is just running around in game doing their own thing. A way to fix this is to have important lore based groups in game, not just for events.  When people apply for white listing they have to go through a tough process of reading the "beginning lore" and the rules, but after they get accepted, lore is no longer important to them. This is the fault of people not knowing there is continues lore updates/ people not caring about the lore updates.  It should be required that people stay up to date with the CURRENT lore before they log into the game servers. There should be a banner up on the front page of our website for a few days every time new lore is introduced.

I am putting a poll up to see how many people are up to date with the current lore, or if they had no idea it existed/didn't care

So I guess my suggestion is: Add lore groups IG and a group page, as well as adding a banner on the front page and requiring people to be up to date

Here is the link to the main "lore update" thread: 

Edited by Descendants

what if

now hear me out for a second

what if

what if people

what if people just dont know these things in character because theres more important things to worry about

i dont know maybe im just mental

7 minutes ago, groovy tony said:

what if

now hear me out for a second

what if

what if people

what if people just dont know these things in character because theres more important things to worry about

i dont know maybe im just mental

you're right, I think that what Johnny said to Bob yesterday is more important than bombs being dropped on us...

My thing is that I feel the Lore updates are a bit hidden away on the site.  I believe if you had a link to @Major's World Lore Thread on the front page of the site or something to that effect, I would feel like more people would see and in turn more people will talk about this stuff in game.

Edited by TiviylScratch

I stopped doing those updates since I didn't feel they were being read or used, and frankly, it can't be done because this ain't A2/3 and we don't have the tools at the current time to effect that sort of outside world stuff IG. Now what we are doing currently is using the Chernarussian gov't and it's forces and the BPR in-game to support and help out the various sides of the current war. So frankly speaking, outside stuff doesn't matter that much in and of itself, but if you link it and make it dynamic and interesting then it can be fun. Now that being said, the day-to-day silliness that goes on in the server is generally either a repeat of former squabbles with just different names, times, and places. 

Most people come here to play a game, not read stuff on a forum that even if they wanted it to affect things wouldn't make a difference if it's just writing somewhere.

Spoiler

We do events and radio broadcasts, some that are just rp immersion and others that have stuff that you can interact with IG. ^

But this doesn't change the fact that we still have to use our imagination with a lot of this stuff that there isn't physical assets for kinda like in DnD. .63 and the following months will help this fact, but until then we will have to make due. Not going to lie though, it is incredibly frustrating to me that we can't affect things more with Lore or make it real. There was a rather rabid demand for events last fall after the lore factions died, something that hasn't fully been delivered upon till now. People seemed to think events would make everything better, and that was the only way the Lore would even matter beyond the whitelist. Now I think more people have realized that events, and even Lore goodies are only icing, whipped cream, and cherry on a cake comprised of shit. You can dump all the sweet smelling tasty stuff on top but if the base game/cake is shit it won't help. But, people wants events, (so do I they are the most fun thing to do currently) plus the higher ups want them.

This isn't help at all by the current state of rp or the fact that we seem to be down to a continuous cycle of conflicts essentially repeating themselves with little to no end. So yeah, what happens IG is more important, but it's also kinda boring which makes this a tricky subject. In an ideal world we'd have like 4 Anarchy sized groups (with an equal share of decent PvPers among them) and lots of other ones that way the big groups would have coalitions, alliances, and big turf wars and the smaller groups wouldn't be suffocated in the vacuum. We need radio personalities, roaming traders, free medics ;), larger than life Lore factions, dark, scare your panties off groups that make you not wanna go places, military units, political parties, survivors, fishermen,  farmers, banditos, checkpoints, roadblocks, helicopter crashes with actual people, etc. I appreciate the thread, I really do. But at the end of the day most people don't read Lore and have the attention span of a drive-by shooting. It's a shitshow what can I say. 

Hopefully things will improve.

Want it on record that in my 4am haze I accidentally voted for the wrong yes xD 

Im so sorry major 

It's unfortunate, I think keeping up to date with the Lore made things more interesting in game for me, people and groups I rolled with kept up to date so we knew what was what, shame some people didnt even know or kept up to date with it.

@Major placed his time doing this for us but he is right, most people come here to play a game, not read stuff on the forums. I felt keeping up to date and reading the updates personally had kept things alive and interesting for me and the people I roleplayed with but, alas not everyone is aware unfortunatly.

If there was a banner or some sort of link that directed you like @TiviylScratch and yourself had mentioned, maybe people will be more aware and interested.

Edited by Lady In Blue

It's sad that some of the awesome things are limited by the game. I understand that not everyone has a great attention span but I think there are also people out here that would like to know this stuff but do not know it's there. I think (personal opinion) That things like the DayzRP timeline could help with this and should be used more often. I think anarchy has already had quite the impact on the server to gain their own little part in the timeline. Also I think Lore should have their seperate button on the site instead of it being hidden away in the forums. I managed to find the lore part but it indeed seems that many other players do not. We could also do a banner like the people above me said or maybe send a (monthly, quarterly) e-mail to all users when lore has been updated with a summarisation of the lore before so that returning players know what happaned and players on a break can stay updated without having to do their own research. I do however think the the lore page is ideal for the somewhat less important lore like the ghost and myth stories whom I like very much.

Edited by barto300

The amazing narrative of the lore was what got me really hyped up for DayZRP when I applied for whitelist tbh., I literally dug through all the different lore & update threads while waiting for approval. I loved the vibes created by the lore and was really thrilled to partake in that story. I know different people have different styles, and a problem might be that I only joined the community after all the lore groups were already gone (so what feels new and exciting for me has already been seen and lived-through by others), but I would really enjoy more IG interaction with the lore (or the opportunity to contribute to any lore faction/group myself).

Others may think differently, but the bits and pieces "scripted" through lore updates really bring progression and "a point" into the otherwise (at least for me) quite stale "everyday-hotspot-hangout" - even if it is limited by the IG possibilities, which truly sucks.

Nonetheless I think it is a great idea to at least try to increase the awareness and appreciation of the already written lore. I second the banner idea! Maybe the sub-forum's name could at least include "lore" instead of its current name "Stories & Journals"? Another great idea that probably was overlooked too much, hidden away in a thread in a sub-forum, was @JoffreyRP's reading of the lore update (making the lore a lot more accessible to people who dont enjoy reading that much).

Also love the lore-related events although I couldnt attend one yet as I mostly travel on weekends. Maybe more, smaller (less work-intensive) bits also during the week (ideally at compatible times to European full-time employed players)? 9_9

anyways, great to bring the topic up! And Thanks a lot for your efforts @Major

15 hours ago, Major said:

what happens IG is more important, but it's also kinda boring which makes this a tricky subject. In an ideal world we'd have like 4 Anarchy sized groups (with an equal share of decent PvPers among them) and lots of other ones that way the big groups would have coalitions, alliances, and big turf wars and the smaller groups wouldn't be suffocated in the vacuum. We need radio personalities, roaming traders, free medics ;), larger than life Lore factions, dark, scare your panties off groups that make you not wanna go places, military units, political parties, survivors, fishermen,  farmers, banditos, checkpoints, roadblocks, helicopter crashes with actual people, etc. I appreciate the thread, I really do. But at the end of the day most people don't read Lore and have the attention span of a drive-by shooting. It's a shitshow what can I say. 

Hopefully things will improve.

I feel like we were once at this point in DayzRP, we had the French, and the Masquerade. Then there was New Moon, Akrasia, and The Black Skulls. Not to mention Camp Outrun and Green Mountain Trading Company. But with the current population we have now in our DayzRP community it seems that returning to such a high RP atmosphere is near impossible. On an average week day the servers peak at around 40-50 people for a few hours then we dip back down to like 30 or less. On weekends it is a little better with 50+ people being on for 5-6 hours throughout the day. But no longer are the days where we have 2 full 60 player servers.  Hopefully .63 brings back a ton of people to DayZ and in turn to DayzRP. But for now, like you said, events are the most fun thing to do atm. But the thing with events is that they are fun while they happen, but once they are over, everyone just returns to sitting around in one place and acting like nothing happened. So I guess that we must make do with what we have.