Server time: 2019-03-18, 14:31 WE ARE RECRUITING
strider

Remove the 3 character limit

Should we remove the 3 character page limit?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello, fellow roleplayers.

As mentioned in a question thread by @Mademoiselle, the rules state that you are only allowed to have three character pages at max.

I suggest that the three character limit should be removed (or at the very least, increased) seeing as there's already a cooldown timer between switching characters. Maybe even increase the cooldown timer as a way to make up for having more characters. On top of this, many people, myself included, have much more than just three character pages already. Some people have characters go missing, into hiding and etc. which would just take up an extra slot for a character that they could be playing. It just seems very unnecessary. 

If a certain player is accused of abusing it, then staff can take it into their own hands as to how to deal with the person. This shouldn't happen all too often however seeing as it's such a small thing. As Aiko stated, it would be a really small worry for staff.

But yes. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Edited by Sleepyhead

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes! Ive been wanting this for a while now. 

yes

In my personal opinion, It would be nice to have more than three character pages. When you have a permed character you just cant bring yourself to delete, only allowed to have two other character pages that are active, can be annoying and just plain unnecessary.

There are already character cooldowns to prevent switching from character to character.

+1 from me tbh.

Edited by Lady In Blue

There's a sizable gap between the moment a user is abusing their rights and the moment there's enough evidence going around that said user is abusing their rights, if said evidence is ever accumulated and gathered.

Sadly, all suggestions that include "lets us do as we please and just punish the abusers!" hinge on having people that go around gathering evidence like they were... well, snakes, and no one likes to be the snake. There's a stigma about it, and no one on their right mind will risk getting the hate of sizable portions of the community by investing the time and effort it takes to show someone is infringing on unwritten rules that might not be enforced by Staff. People just don't do that.

Thus, keeping a hard limit is desirable. It doesn't HAVE to be 3 characters like it is now, but I'd rather have that than none at all.

If I'm not mistaken if the character is perm'd they don't count towards the limit of three. I currently have 10 pages up, but only three of the characters are alive.

I heavily agree because I will never delete my days of work! It's like my Museum of my planned characters, current characters and future characters.

That being said, requesting @Mademoiselle POV because I know you've got lots to say on this topic.

2 minutes ago, TheTrueHawk said:

I heavily agree because I will never delete my days of work! It's like my Museum of my planned characters, current characters and future characters.

That being said, requesting @Mademoiselle POV because I know you've got lots to say on this topic.

I hate deleting my work, I get paranoid my pages are going to be archived or deleted and never retrievable. I for one think it's a silly rule and makes me stress. Hence I delete my character pages and put into google docs. But it's a pain in the ass to fucking copy pasta all of it. I think if people have story arcs they should not even have to worry about the 3 character page limit.

5 minutes ago, TheTrueHawk said:

1 minute ago, Mademoiselle said:

I hate deleting my work, I get paranoid my pages are going to be archived or deleted and never retrievable. I for one think it's a silly rule and makes me stress. Hence I delete my character pages and put into google docs. But it's a pain in the ass to fucking copy pasta all of it. I think if people have story arcs they should not even have to worry about the 3 character page limit.

I can't agree more with these. You spend so much time & effort with graphics, a nice story and just making your character page have a nice vibe that you don't want it to just be wasted.

-USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST-

Please for the love of all that is holy YES.

With the existence of the timer we won't have to deal with people switching all the time, and even IF someone is just making a million alts and doing the same shit on each, staff can deal with it on a case by case.

1 hour ago, N-Tox said:

If I'm not mistaken if the character is perm'd they don't count towards the limit of three. I currently have 10 pages up, but only three of the characters are alive.

Just going to quote this, assuming no one saw it. 

1 hour ago, Empress Julia said:

Please for the love of all that is holy YES.

With the existence of the timer we won't have to deal with people switching all the time, and even IF someone is just making a million alts and doing the same shit on each, staff can deal with it on a case by case.

Wouldn't be too difficult surely. There can't be many cases where thats happening anyway.

Please get rid of the limit.

I'm all for this, I get the abuse thing but nah.. just nah. Let us have more char pages!

I see no reason why there should be a limit on the number of character pages you can create.

I think it didn't get abused in the first place, so the rule isn't needed. All abuse that might have happened is gone now, through the 24h timer rule.

I agree with this 100%.

The only thing that I suggest is instead of getting rid of it, have the number of characters you can have increase with your donation rank.

This way people who haven't donate will have three and someone that has hall of farmer or tycoon will have 7-8.

Yes sounds good 

4 minutes ago, Allen Storm said:

I agree with this 100%.

The only thing that I suggest is instead of getting rid of it, have the number of characters you can have increase with your donation rank.

This way people who haven't donate will have three and someone that has hall of farmer or tycoon will have 7-8.

Doesn't this sound like a good idea? @Rolle

+1, a good suggestion. Haven't seen anyone spam not finished char pages anymore since the LW anyways. 

It was originally implemented to help eliminate the alt character pages when the original talks about minimizing the abuse of dynamic groups. I don't think we are gonna need that right now. Unless it was to just keep the database small, maybe that's the reason.

+1 to this. 

Like others, I put a lot of time and effort into my characters and there are times where I randomly come up with, what I think, to be a good character. I might not want to play them right off the bat but it's nice to get the character page up and spend the extra time working on it until I actually want to use the character.

With the cool down I don't see how having more than three pages can be abused anyway.

Remove it I say,

@Allen Storm you smart.

Sounds like a good idea and an interesting perk to have. +1

Edited by Lady In Blue

The character limit (3 alive characters, unlimited dead characters) was introduced for a few reasons:

1. To prevent creation of multiple alt characters to "escape" consequences of ones actions in game
  2. To increase quality of character pages, if you only can have 3 you won't be creating barebone throwaway characters that will never be used
  3. To increase quality of RP and continuity provided by characters. If people can only have 3 characters they will focus effort on these. Accurately keeping track of recent events, history, connections, friends for any more characters than that is impossible.

I think these are still valid concerns and hence believe that the limit should stay as it is.