Server time (UTC): 2020-10-29, 11:28
Sign in to follow this  
Vaetherium

general question

Hey, I've been wondering, do I have to put on the correct accent for my character? I live in Britain, however my current character lived in the US, and served in the US military. I've been using my normal " jolly-'ol " english accent for him for a while now, just want to know if that's actually alright?

if i ran into a born-and-raised American with a British accent i'd be pretty confused

Just now, Whitename said:

if i ran into a born-and-raised American with a British accent i'd be pretty confused

fair point lmao

/Moved to questions.

Honestly, If it makes sense do it. Its your character so you can play it how you like, so long as it is realistic. Perhaps say he lived in the UK then moved to the US.

I'm nobody, However I would say that No, you do not. This being said an attempt is always appreciated.

Now that I've got that out of the way, here is a warning. People may not believe you if you say your American and speak like your from south London.  Any attempt at all would alleviate this, IE people see your attempting an accent and will assume you are playing what ever character you tell them.  For example I once met a man from Sweden with a this Swedish accent. I was with two Canadians at the time and the Swede told us he was Canadian as well. We all hesitated and then pretended he was Canadian.  He made no attempt at an accent. Had he made any attempt at all we would of been less hesitant to believe him. 

Play what you want how you want, just remember that some people might initially be weird around you. 

Could always just RP that his parents were British.

But giving a faint shot is never a bad idea.. like saying your character is Chernarussian yet you sound like an American... you will have to repeat over and over why you sound that way...

Play your character how you see fit though my man.

I’m probably not the best person, but here it goes. If you emote *Speaks with an obvious American Accent* but use your normal accent (or an attempt at an American one) and emote that whenever someone new joins the conversation it might work and people might be more receptive.

I have a hard time hearing accents myself if it doesn’t drastically change the way something is pronounced but that’s my two cents at least.

My personal opinion is that you should stick with what you're capable of. It doesn't have to be a spot on accent at all (lord knows my shit is gimmicky as fuck), but I have to admit that if I run into an American who sounds British, -my character- will think he just ran into a nutjob or a shit tier liar.

That said, it's certainly not something I would ever consider reporting or getting pissy about, so do you, just be prepared for people to call bullshit IC.

The thing about the world, is we can all come from different places.

I have a customer who resides in UK, but has a American accent. They have lived there for like 30+ years. They are a UK resident, legally. But they do not sound it.

I believe that you can say you immigrated to the US, and your parents were English. Hence the accent you have now. There are many reasons to explain how you are a naturalized American Citizen even though you have a accent. It'd be a fun story to tell ICly and add depth to your Character. 

Don't feel discouraged because you don't "sound the part". There's always reasons why your character may have the accent they have think about how it may work in your backstory and then RP that out IG. :)

I'd say do whatever man, if anything just work on your accent over time. That's what I did with my mobster character. 
I've got a video somewhere of when I started playing him and compared to now the difference is insane.
Just practice a little bit, anybody who isn't a cunt either wont care or wont mention it. 

As long as the backstory hits why your character has a certain accent, nobody should really judge. Accents arent predetermined. Yes its nice to put those details into it, but it isnt a written rule to do so.

I have run into people who weren't too confident with accents and have talked in their normal accent but emoted "*speaks with a _________ accent*" You could always try something like this.