Server time (UTC): 2020-10-24, 23:27
Sign in to follow this  
The Traveler

What sort of hubs / settlements would you like to see?

So with talks of event teams, lore progression and more or less trying to set foundations to improve RP due to 0.63 being on the horizon, what sort of settlements, hubs, centres of population etc etc would you lot like to see? 
Old concepts renewed in the new lore? 
New concepts entirely?
Ideas that were good on paper but didn't take hold too well (Vehicle repair yards failing due to shit vehicle bugs atm) 

This is a forum to let creative juices flow and, hopefully, give inspiration to individual players and groups alike! :D 
NOTE: NOT TALKING ABOUT SETTLEMENT FEATURES COMING IN  0.63! 

Edited by The Traveler

- All settlements will be the same.
- .63 isn't bringing anything new into the game other than movement
- Ain't gonna have anything to change these things for a while.

1 minute ago, Mexi said:

- All settlements will be the same.
- .63 isn't bringing anything new into the game other than movement
- Ain't gonna have anything to change these things for a while.

Experimental won't, but the full 0.63 is gonna have modding / admin tools confirmed ^_^
And all settlements will only be the same if you make them the same. Have some faith mexi ;L 

I'm not really all too hyped for settlements. I mean, what will they bring? Walled off areas? Pre-fab structures that don't resemble buildings and a large community but instead like 5 people who had a lot of wood and power tools? If they had steel hedge hogs and security booths with those lowering gates then that would be pretty cool, but it just looks to be walls and barriers where you can hide your tents behind. Nothing really too exciting.

2 minutes ago, SeriousSurgeon said:

I'm not really all too hyped for settlements. I mean, what will they bring? Walled off areas? Pre-fab structures that don't resemble buildings and a large community but instead like 5 people who had a lot of wood and power tools? If they had steel hedge hogs and security booths with those lowering gates then that would be pretty cool, but it just looks to be walls and barriers where you can hide your tents behind. Nothing really too exciting.

ok I see the confusion here. 
I meant as in normal settlements, as in the hubs we've had in the past. 
Tortuga, Kovar's Market, Veichle repair yards etc etc 
With admin tools + mod tools we should eventually be able to just add our own buildings down where we want them... an example being the raven's nest from back in the day. eNWb5eO.jpg

Ah yes. Traveler the Perpetual Dredger of Nostalgia from the bottom of the DayZRP'S collective consciousness. 

Unless the Dayz devs have been using their office with for something other than collecting dust and storing their T-72, then nothing has changed as far as basebuilding is concerned. I mean it'll be good for group wars but as Surgeon said, it comes down to walls and tents. All your precious automatic weapons nobody can hit anything with anyway will have to be kept in a barrel in the woods.

Modding? I hope we get Arma 2/3 ports of vehicles and everything goes smoothly, but given the state of things I am not optimistic. Admin tools are great but we need something more that will make this game better than an Arma 2 model with pretty terrain.

Bring back the kingdom in 63 tbh. Cuz I'm not creative.

Like once again, to 100% make it clear. This isn't a "Oh yay 0.63 is gonna change shit" sort of post. 
And it sure as hell aint suppose to be a nostalgia post either. 

It's a post about creativity of us... 

You got people like @Para wanting to make an event team, yesterday I saw shy of 30+ people in a TS bouncing ideas off each other for events and cool RP stuff... 

What I wanted here was for us to put the same energy into settlement ideas as, let's be honest, settlements are part of the main arteries that make good RP... 
Along with this I wanted people to get excited and enthusiastic about idea sharing (Akin to when I have a sit down with my players for Dungeons and Dragons and even fellow Dungeon Masters about new NPC's , towns, groups etc etc we could make) as, in my opinion, it is this enthusiasm that makes communities like this just that little bit more amazing! 

You might call me optimistic saying all that, but as I have already mentioned, I experience that very passion yesterday at the meeting! 

So lets have less of the "We can't because 0.63 isn't gonna change anything" 

WE ARE ROLEPLAYERS! LET'S GET THE CREATIVE JUICES FLOWING! :D

A forum hub safe from these long posts

haha

but i think we should wait for mods tbh

Edited by Dan

2 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Like once again, to 100% make it clear. This isn't a "Oh yay 0.63 is gonna change shit" sort of post. 

It's a post about creativity of us... 

You got people like @Para wanting to make an event team, yesterday I saw shy of 30+ people in a TS bouncing ideas off each other for events and cool RP stuff... 

What I wanted here was for us to put the same energy into settlement ideas as, let's be honest, settlements are part of the main arteries that make good RP... 
Along with this I wanted people to get excited and enthusiastic about idea sharing (Akin to when I have a sit down with my players for Dungeons and Dragons and even fellow Dungeon Masters about new NPC's , towns, groups etc etc we could make) as, in my opinion, it is this enthusiasm that makes communities like this just that little bit more amazing! 

You might call me optimistic saying all that, but as I have already mentioned, I experience that very passion yesterday at the meeting! 

So lets have less of the "We can't because 0.63 isn't gonna change anything" 

WE ARE ROLEPLAYERS! LET'S GET THE CREATIVE JUICES FLOWING! :D

Trav, give the assumptions and your fingers a rest and go do Easter things bud. ;)

I want to see something similar to the way Pinewood was played out back in 2015. Essentially, we ran the settlement as isolationist as possible, and let word of mouth spread so that people started to come and make it a "hot spot" even though it wasn't anywhere near as hot as Severograd or Lop/novy. Though we had our problems with the settlement, I think it was interesting to have the multiple hotspots, player ran.

One problem was the lack of cohesiveness in the player base aside from those that were in the group. I think what was needed is two groups willing to settle within the settlement to give it some legitimacy while still maintaining the isolationist woodbury-esc feel.

3 minutes ago, Empress Julia said:

-Snip-

36 minutes ago, JoffreyRP said:

Bring back the kingdom in 63 tbh. Cuz I'm not creative.

Finally actual settlement ideas rather than saying "nah no point" :D

And I have fond memories of pinewood. Would be cool to have a more "need to know" sort of settlement idea. Though , as there is no hard cap on groups numbers, having 2 groups in a settlement may be an issue as then u get close to "1/3 of the server pop is in this one place" issue, which inherantly kills any other settlements as the place with 1/3 pop is gonna naturally attract more people :S 

30 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

12 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

And I have fond memories of pinewood.

5bf4fd6199f239bc33a484a120bf5206.png.88ac02ee0b78f1cb8a703997b07133b7.png

in all seriousness though, it would be awesome to see more pastoral arrangements, considering i havent seen a lot of that lately. something like a communal farm, yknow? something without hierarchy, rules n shit. just a fuckin farm or something

2 minutes ago, Whitename said:

in all seriousness though, it would be awesome to see more pastoral arrangements, considering i havent seen a lot of that lately. something like a communal farm, yknow? something without hierarchy, rules n shit. just a fuckin farm or something

A farm would be cool. But how to stop the "hot spot problem". 
Also would people be interested in going there due to "food being common as fuck" as a load of people have been saying? What sorta unique shit could be have at a farm? :D 

I would honestly wish there was no hotspot.

3 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Also would people be interested in going there due to "food being common as fuck" as a load of people have been saying? What sorta unique shit could be have at a farm? :D 

if people were actually interested in the roleplay aspect of farming, the idea that food isnt infinite and creating your own is vital, could be nice. the hot spot problem, however, im not sure. the way ive avoided it is by not trying to make an official group post at all. like, not even thinking about moving in that direction. keeps things word-of-mouth while keeping hostile groups disinterested.

notice how i said "if" people were interested. alas...

36 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Be cool if we had a farm system that was a tad more realistic or at least didn't render so much food.

1 minute ago, Major said:

Be cool if we had a farm system that was a tad more realistic or at least didn't render so much food.

I had so much food I had to stop farming. Mainly because nobody wanted to come to my farm :( but i digress 

7 minutes ago, Whitename said:

I had so much food I had to stop farming. Mainly because nobody wanted to come to my farm :( but i digress 

Yeah that seems to be a common problem. 

2 minutes ago, Major said:

Yeah that seems to be a common problem. 

One tomato seed yields 10 tomatoes if farmed optimally. With the accelerated time your food supply can completely fill up your tents within a half hour. Definitely too fuckin much, but manageable if people actually wanted to have pastoral roleplay

that being said i do call myself the Farmer with the AUG :trolle:

Edited by Whitename

15 minutes ago, Whitename said:

One tomato seed yields 10 tomatoes if farmed optimally. With the accelerated time your food supply can completely fill up your tents within a half hour. Definitely too fuckin much, but manageable if people actually wanted to have pastoral roleplay

that being said i do call myself the Farmer with the AUG :trolle:

Whilst not wanting to go off topic... persistant farms when we get mods that have long grow times / no chance to be griefed whilst offline? 

24 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Whilst not wanting to go off topic... persistant farms when we get mods that have long grow times / no chance to be griefed whilst offline? 

Are you asking if that’s a thing, or telling me??? If you’re asking me, answer is doubtful. I don’t think realistic farming is high on any modder’s priority list. My guess is the first mods to come out with .63 will be guns and enhancing base building. And no griefing while offline? Good luck man. You’d have to only allow certain people to edit structures you place down, kinda shits on realism

Edited by Whitename

A good way to do it would be to have it like how GM was run in 2014. Bring in the cosmetic stuff with you, and take it when you leave. Only leave stuff you don't want.

Honestly would like to see some sort of religious extremist owned settlement/hub, it'd be interesting to see the laws that are put in place and the people who turn up to it act like in such a situation. 

I want an 80s themed male strip club. Lots of leather and metal music and "it's raining men" playing the entire time.