Server time (UTC): 2020-10-29, 02:29
Sign in to follow this  
The Prior

... --- ... (Open Frequency)

With trembling hands, JW sped a reclaimed Lada into the heart of Chernorus, where he was told he might rendezvous with his lost companions. The survivors he met up with hadn't been able to tell him where the UN was - or anywhere an old man like him might make it, really. As a last gambit to protect himself from other desperate survivors, he spray-painted a blue cross and "non" - an informal word for priest in Chernorussian, on the side of the Lada that he had pieced together in Elektrozavodsk. 

He hadn't much nerve to reflect on the past as he sped through what he had hoped was Pogorevka. But it was just as dusk was falling that the sedan was littered with automatic fire from multiple sources. Unarmed and unnerved, he drove evasively, but was hit near center mass. He lost control of the sedan, going off-road while he was still taking fire. Just as he was barreling at over 100 KPH into forestry where he hoped to find cover. 

"Hail Mary, full of grace, t-the Lord is..."

Just as he was muttering his prayer at full throttle, a loud crunch filled his ear as he immediately was stopped on an unseen tree trunk. Panicking, he stomped on the gas, throwing it into reverse to try and loose himself. 

"T-the Lord is with thee..." 

He got out and tried in vain to push the car. He was too preoccupied to realize that the gunmen were gaining on him on foot. Before he knew it, he was surrounded by Russian militants, laughing and crunching on apples as they beat him into a prone state. Once they had taken what they wanted from him and tried to move the Lada, eventually stripping it of all of the parts that hadn't been ruined in the crash, they left him for dead.

Johannes laid there for hours utterly destitute and consigning himself to death. Much to his dismay, his eyes did eventually flutter open again. He limped to the nearest home and, almost as a twist of fate, found a walkie and a battery not far from one another, a stroke of luck (or divine intervention, he thought) that he had prayed to come across. Starving and dehydrated, he barely had the energy to fumble the battery into the walkie. 

The battery was well on its way to the end of its cycle. But he determined he wasn't.

That's when he heard the groans of the living dead coming closer to him. He was lucky enough to not have to deal with many of them before - but there were several of them. He heard them right outside of the door of the farm house. He smashed a can of spaghetti and slurped up what wasn't lost as if it were his last meal and bolted out of the farmhouse door to get cover behind a rock and signaled his message in Morse to preserve the battery. His condition was surely prohibitive... and this was his last risky resort.

... --- ...

~Tivian would be sitting by a small fire in a house fiddling with his radio as he heard the broadcast.  It would jump a little in his seat as heard the broadcast echo from his radio.  He would calm himself taking a deep breath before and compose himself and press down the PTT button and raise the radio to his lips.~

SOS received... I repeat... SOS received...

If at all possibly... Broadcaster please relay your position and what you are in need of...

~Tivian would sit down the radio for a moment and quickly take out a map unfolding it.  He would raises the radio back up to his lips and begin to speak again.~

Repeating my last...

SOS received... I repeat... SOS received...

If at all possibly... Broadcaster please relay your position and what you are in need of...

~He would sit there idle listening for a response~

Johannes had made his way from the living dead and found the sign he had been looking for - Kabanino. Just as he was in a field, a thunderclap sounded and rain followed shortly. He sprinted to Kabanino - the same town he had been looking for since he gained his freedom.

He rummaged through the homes in Kabanino and searched high and low for the UN encampment... nothing. 

He depresses the PTT button as he sits in one of many abandoned homes with his back to a wall.

"This is Reverend Doctor Havenshire of the World Health Organization. I'm going black on supplies... I've found myself to Kabanino, but the Blue Helmets aren't here. I rationed to make it here and there's not a damned soul. I am requesting extraction to the headquarters of UN, WHO, NATO, Catholic Relief, or whoever the Sam hell is still out there... Barring that, I'm hoping someone is around Kabanino. I'm not going to make it out here by myself."

As soon as Faith heard mentioning of the United Nations and World Health Organization, she was on the case. She would take her radio, listening to 'Doctor Havenshire'. She would hold down the PTT once he had finished.

"This is Doctor Faith Hawk, head researcher of the 1st Response Unit of South Zagoria.

Dr. Havenshire, I request you to respond on which response team did you come with?

And may you give out your ID number registered on your WHO ID card? 

Protocols must be taken due to a number of people identifying as UN and WHO. 

The United Nations nor W.H.O. have not been residing in Kabanino for... around about 5 or 6 months.

Over."

She would await a response from the Dr.

Edited by Mademoiselle

He could hardly contain his excitement as Doctor Hawk broadcast.

"This is Doctor Havenshire. I was researcher for the Emergency Response Unit brought in near the onset of the epidemic. We were captured by militants after everything started falling apart. Not many survived the outbreak. WHO ID card number is Alpha-504-3016-980-Charlie. Full name Johannes Waldebert Havenshire. I've been lost since I escaped the compound, Doctor, and the police officer in Chernogorsk must have been giving me old intel."

He lets off of the PTT button for a moment before reiterating. 

"Doctor, this battery doesn't have much juice left. I am requesting a location on the UN compound and, if possible, extraction."

Edited by Doctor Serenity
Changing WHO number to be in format

1 hour ago, Doctor Serenity said:

-snip-

Faith would look over to Holmen, she would watch him making breakfast before taking her radio. Responding to Dr. Havenshire.

"I know about emergency response units, a lot were sent in. However I'm asking if you were apart of the 1st, 2nd or even 10th response team. Due to recent complications of impersonators."

She turns her head to Holmen, the radio going off as she says to Holmen, "We need to make sure we're deal with actual thing..."

The radio cuts back on as she jots down the man's ID number, "Sorry give me a moment." There is another brief silence on the radio.

"Did you get the name of the police officer?" The radio cuts for a moment before continuing, "There are no compounds of any United Nations in South Zagoria from my knowledge. Last known location was Primorsk but we have had radio silence for months. If you're demanding to talk to a peacekeeper I'm sure he will be more than happy to contact you. He can just take my radio if he wishes. Other than that I cannot be of much help until the Major makes a decision."

The radio cuts onto full static, slipping her radio across the table in Holmen's direction in chase he wants to give a time and location for a meeting. She softly smiles over to him.

Edited by Mademoiselle

Doctor Havenshire sighed as he heard the news.

"First Emergency Response. And no, I'm afraid I don't remember the officer's name. There was a bit of a language barrier.

I'm in no position to make any demands, Doctor, but certainly if there is UN-friendly presence, I'm most interested in how to get back to my peers. My skill sets are not suited to the end of the world."

~Tivian would sit there listening to Faith and Havenshire banter back and forth as he traced his fingers over the map in front of him.  He would shake his head hearing all the formalities and numbers from Havenshires ID.  After a few moments of planning Tivian raises the radio back to his lips to chime in on the conversation.~

Good doctor Havenshire... If Faith and what is left of her United Nations detachment can not help you... I can try my best to help you best I can...  Granted my resources may be a lot more limited than theirs I can still do my best to provide aid...

You are deep in the territory of people who are not the most friendly to say the least...

~Tivian sat down his radio as he folded up his map and kept listened into the frequency~

*Holmen picks up Faith's radio off the table. As he's about to push the button down, Faith approaches him with her note book while saying ''All the W.H.O personnel that was supposed to come with us are listed there.'' He takes a moment to read through the notes, remembering the names from when he first read them when he was travelling from the previous United Nations headquarters in Miroslavl to Chapaevsk back in July. Not finding his name in the list nor remembering ever hearing his name, he presses down the PTT*

''Evening Dr. Havenshire, this is Major Holmen speaking. I was the one that was second in command of the United Nations South Zagorian 1st Response Unit.''

*There would be a short pause where some papers would be heard shuffling*

''I'm going to start off by being completely blunt about the United Nations situation. There isn't an active operation being conducted by United Nations inside of South Zagoria, there is no place that is guarded by the United Nations inside of South Zagoria and that is how it has been for a long time. Last intel we received from the United Nations command was that the headquarters were moved from Miroslavl to Primorsk and that information is three months old, we haven't received any update nor any communication directly to us since.''

''I can formally deny your request of an extraction as we've no means to extract you and nowhere to take you to either.''

''Now to sort out your matters.''

*The transmission would be cut, Holmen rubs his head for a moment as Faith would see him get somewhat frustrated considering what had happened recently. He takes a deep breath before he speaks again*

''In front of me here doctor, I've a list of all ten World Health Organization personnel that accompanied me into South Zagoria and your name is not on the list, so there is something that is not correct with what you're saying here. If possible I would like to meet you in the next day or two to clarify things, update you fully and to put you on the right track, would this be possible?''

*He cuts he transmission, waiting for a reply*

Edited by Dino

He eventually, after listening long enough, reaches for the radio. A male, western-sounding voice can be heard, of possibly European descent. Maybe German speaking, whether Austrian, German or maybe Swiss. Likely option 1 or 2 rather than 3.

<:: Ahem. Just as there are remnants of supranational entities in this oblast - province -, there are also remnants of national entities, that I could consider myself part of. I would like to offer assistance to either side as long as it is in the general South - I do not go North. Whether it is providing temporary protection on routes or being present to mediate or guard, or to deliver or trade supplies. Perhaps the UN or WHO remnants would like a "national representative" present at that "confirmation meeting"? Mere suggestions. We can increase ties or fight our own battles. I won't run after people or insist if there is no interest.

A pause of maybe 3-4 seconds.

<:: On another note, if you really want to get out of the province or to some major hub, I could perhaps get in touch with someone who can make transportation to that easier. If you can leave the country from there, I don't know. But at least, you can get closer to your goal and areas that would have such means in theory. And to give the WHO a brief "Who-is", I've encountered the doctor - the female one - prior last year, only briefly, far North before UN or WHO remnants moved away from the Northern position near a military base, more to the South. You stuttered at that time. I came with a colleague called Lubomir. A police station was briefly opened and then closed and abandoned. And another certain officer knows us or me. I'm not bluffing, is my point, and not hostile either. Think about it, over.

And then he lets go and stares at the hand held device.

Despair filled Havenshire as the low battery light flickered on the transmitter, and it rushed over him again as he heard the refusal of distraction. It occurred to him that he might be leading himself into yet another trap.

"This is Havenshire. Major Holem, perhaps we have something confused. The detachment that I was sent with was entirely of researchers before the outbreak bloomed, and we were all captured by Russian nationalists. As far as I can tell, everyone is dead but me."

He gulped, swallowing his suspicions. "I would be glad to meet with you, Major, though I do not anticipate that I have very much left in me. The news that you have given me weighs down."

He releases the PTT and rakes his thinning hair through his fingers in exasperation. 

"To the first speaker referring to unfriendly territory, and to the second referring to the closed police station, your words reassure me. I would be happy to meet either or both of you... and if you can do what you say and get me to a 'hub' as you say, my life, my friendship, and any meager possessions I have in this world are yours."

*He turn to Faith for a moment saying to her ''If what he's saying is true, then I'm sick and tired of my command not giving me information about what they have done prior and are doing now.'' He brings the radio up again and presses down the button*

''Apologizes if these news disheartens you Havenshire, but there isn't a point in hiding how the situation is like. As Dr. Hawk mentioned before, we've had people trying to portray themselves as peacekeepers or World Health Organization personnel in an attempt to hide themselves and gain people's trust to so betray them.''

''I was never informed by my command that a research team was already stationed within Chernarus and that they had gone MIA, but it wouldn't be the first time my command had neglected to inform me of what was going on.''

''I will be contacting you again shortly to set up a meeting point between us, I'll be sure to bring some supplies with me and do what I can to assist you when we meet. For now, try to stay safe and out of harms way.''

''Holmen, out.''

*He slides the radio and her notebook across the table back to Faith, looking towards her for a moment before getting up for his chair and grabbing his backpack as he gathers some things from the shelves around him. As he packs his things, Faith would place a bowl of scrambled egg on the table that she finished cooking, "We're not going anywhere until we eat."

Edited by Dino

~Tivian would sigh softly hearing Holman's responce to the man.  He would softly shake his head before looking up at his friend tending to a fire in the stove across the cabin and Sara laying on the bed resting.  He would pick up his radio, raising it to his lips before beginning to speak again.~

I do not know about the other man on the radio but me and my comrades can not... I repeat... can not get you into that "Hub"...

That "Hub" is deep in the territory of people who can not be trusted... Look I can send some men with supplies to possibly help you but I will say once again we can not help you get to that hub... We can help you move to a more southern or northern area of the province where it is safer for both you and my guys...

We can supply you with a bit of food, ammo, possibly a fire arm, and safety for a short time but with my limited resources I can not promise anything...

~There would be a short pause before the man's voice would continue.~

Will be standing by waiting for your response and to see what your plans are... Stay safe till than good doctor...

~Tivian would lower the radio from his mouth shaking his head.~

Sign in to follow this