Server time (UTC): 2020-10-21, 01:34
Sign in to follow this  
N-Tox

POLL FOR MINECRAFT RP

Poll for MinecraftRP or Minecraft server  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the title states, I threw up a thread about Minecraft RP which is linked below and I believe @Whitename suggested throwing up a poll. So here it is. 
The previous forum post:

three way split so far. lmao 

Minecraft RP can and has worked before.  It just has to be something more than just Minecraft, which I believe was mentioned in the previous thread in off-topic.  It would be interesting, that's for damn sure.

I like casual Minecraft build servers with working and balanced economy. But then Staggs comes along and mines half of the world and becomes the Bill Gates of the server and makes everyone else miserable so they quit.

I don't think RP would work, unless it's modded specifically for that purpose and we are playing in hardcore mode.

1 hour ago, Rolle said:

modded specifically for that purpose

That's what I envision. Although it would take time to get all the mods working in tandem and properly. 

3 hours ago, N-Tox said:

That's what I envision. Although it would take time to get all the mods working in tandem and properly. 

I just want a casual experience in minecraft. build shit, talk about dayzrp, yknow.

the thing with having roleplay is that with roleplay comes rules and with rules comes reports and bans and at that point youre trying to create a whole other community -- one that would need lots of staff, its own forums, etc. having a small survival / faction / economy server would just keep shit casual and have simple rules like "dont be toxic" and "dont hack"

if a few more people vote for the yes or the "yes but no rp" votes ill try to get the ball rolling on setting up a new server. doesnt take long once youve done it a couple of times

of course, that is if you're okay with me taking an idea you suggested and acting on it. i dont wanna intrude

Provided @N-Tox is alright with me acting on his idea, I'd like to give this poll another 11 hours to hit the full 24-hour period. Provided the "no" vote doesn't eclipse the "Yes" or "Yes but no RP" ones, I'd like to get started on this. My current idea as far as plugins would be a basic survival, faction, economy server. No roleplay, no sort of MMORPG thing, nothing like that. Just your run-of-the-mill plugins that add a little, but not too much. I would also nerf @Stagsview by limiting your mining speed to 25% the norm :trolle:

Jokes aside I think this would be cool. But it all rests on N-Tox being alright with it.

Just because I enjoy building my underground empires and actually know how doesn't mean I should get nerfed. Get good.

14 hours ago, Rolle said:

I like casual Minecraft build servers with working and balanced economy. But then Staggs comes along and mines half of the world and becomes the Bill Gates of the server and makes everyone else miserable so they quit.

I don't think RP would work, unless it's modded specifically for that purpose and we are playing in hardcore mode.

All we need is currency, chat zones (local, OOC etc), emotes, support chat (ticket system) to start off.

I cannot see any serious RP happening in Mindcraft. Maybe some casual RP, like no KoS or other similar rules. But, ... My God I get super weird vibes from a RP Minecraft server. I shudder to think of all the kids out there running their own and trying to have serious RP.

Either way, to play and build in yeah that sounds like fun. But for serious, in depth RP ... I don't believe the game is quite suited for it imo. 

But sure, get a Minecraft Server going! Let people get in to have fun, mine, build, use some cool mods, etc. :D

I owned a minecraft Rp server, Earnt about 10-15k from it, it works if you play it out right. You gotta find the right people and its all text rp but i know it works.

4 hours ago, Whitename said:

Provided @N-Tox is alright with me acting on his idea, I'd like to give this poll another 11 hours to hit the full 24-hour period. Provided the "no" vote doesn't eclipse the "Yes" or "Yes but no RP" ones, I'd like to get started on this. My current idea as far as plugins would be a basic survival, faction, economy server. No roleplay, no sort of MMORPG thing, nothing like that. Just your run-of-the-mill plugins that add a little, but not too much. I would also nerf @Stagsview by limiting your mining speed to 25% the norm :trolle:

Jokes aside I think this would be cool. But it all rests on N-Tox being alright with it.

Go right ahead, I'm not the most experienced with actual servers rather than the base game. So go right ahead my boy. :D

55 minutes ago, JimRP said:

All we need is currency, chat zones (local, OOC etc), emotes, support chat (ticket system) to start off.

I was planning on factions and currency my guy. not much more needs to be added, besides your basic administrative tools. helps let people do whatever they want. although it might be a good idea to include chat zones, but i doubt there would be enough people online to make the chat cancer

23 minutes ago, N-Tox said:

Go right ahead, I'm not the most experienced with actual servers rather than the base game. So go right ahead my boy. :D

i'll get started sometime today. i dont have the hardware to run it on my local pc so ill have to use *whispers in disgust* a hosting service

48 minutes ago, xdproslim11 said:

I owned a minecraft Rp server, Earnt about 10-15k from it, it works if you play it out right. You gotta find the right people and its all text rp but i know it works.

mate if you earned $15000 from a minecraft server you're doing something right

Edited by Whitename

Since it's clear the no vote won't eclipse the yes votes, I decided to go with buying the server a tad early, since I'll be busy around that time. I'm in the process of setting up plugins and permissions. Will also need to establish the economy which is the trickiest part. Since permissions and economy are extensive to set up it'll be a bit before it's done. Will post another thread when it's ready. Unfortunately the whitelist process will probably be manual because I have no idea how2php or how2bukkitapi, and cannae be arsed to learn it

Or I'll just leave the whitelist down and pray nobody finds it. lol

Edited by Whitename

49 minutes ago, Whitename said:

Since it's clear the no vote won't eclipse the yes votes, I decided to go with buying the server a tad early, since I'll be busy around that time. I'm in the process of setting up plugins and permissions. Will also need to establish the economy which is the trickiest part. Since permissions and economy are extensive to set up it'll be a bit before it's done. Will post another thread when it's ready. Unfortunately the whitelist process will probably be manual because I have no idea how2php or how2bukkitapi, and cannae be arsed to learn it

Or I'll just leave the whitelist down and pray nobody finds it. lol

depending on the amount of people it gets in total I would say whitelist this bitch. I would be very depressing to see someone come rekt the whole thing in the middle of the night

12 minutes ago, N-Tox said:

depending on the amount of people it gets in total I would say whitelist this bitch. I would be very depressing to see someone come rekt the whole thing in the middle of the night

i spent a few hours trying to brainstorm how to automate this process. i had some ideas but none of them would keep certain secret passwords and keys secure, sadly. so it'll be manual. the closest i can come to secure is have a webform that texts my phone when a new submission comes in, and then have to go add them from there

not really viable and would expose my api keys for sending texts. not good, not good.

15 minutes ago, Whitename said:

i spent a few hours trying to brainstorm how to automate this process. i had some ideas but none of them would keep certain secret passwords and keys secure, sadly. so it'll be manual. the closest i can come to secure is have a webform that texts my phone when a new submission comes in, and then have to go add them from there

not really viable and would expose my api keys for sending texts. not good, not good.

not at all good. idk then im not the smartest of people

I'm up for this so long as everyone does the idea justice and takes the challenge of putting together a server for our community up as well as moderating and staffing it at all times. It would be pretty cool finally having another place for people in the community to game when they get tired of RP'ing or just burn out from too much DayZRP and want to do something else.

I think if it were to be done it should be more like a community modded server that is similar in sense to ZachScottGames's one. Just a server that is dedicated to being fun and incorporating a tight knit community into making epic worlds and having good times.

Just now, Refacture said:

-snip snap break your back- 

Indeedly doodly my friend. 

I've run a few minecraft servers in my time, granted, they were hosted by a large host, not off of my computer. If you guys are looking to do a whitelist server just have people fill out a google form w/ their information so you can whitelist them on the server :D It will keep randoms off. Once people fill out the whitelist you can pm them the server ip etc etc

Edit: Not sure what host you're using and I know you already said you preemptively bought the server, but BisectHosting is by far the best host I've come across.  They have cheap cost efficient packages

Edited by Drbeans
im stupid and cant read

2 minutes ago, Drbeans said:

I've run a few minecraft servers in my time, granted, they were hosted by a large host, not off of my computer. If you guys are looking to do a whitelist server just have people fill out a google form w/ their information so you can whitelist them on the server :D It will keep randoms off. Once people fill out the whitelist you can pm them the server ip etc etc

yeah, i would prefer just sending them a pm. i’m saying i wish i could have a simple webform that auto-whitelists them. i know how to do it in extreme layman’s terms but i have no clue about php or the bukkit api

2 minutes ago, Whitename said:

yeah, i would prefer just sending them a pm. i’m saying i wish i could have a simple webform that auto-whitelists them. i know how to do it in extreme layman’s terms but i have no clue about php or the bukkit api

Ah I gotcha :P Yeah, fuck that tbh - I've always been inclined to go through them personally rather than having it done automatically. Good luck though :D I'm interested in what this will amount to! also for good measure I'm going to repost this -  "Not sure what host you're using and I know you already said you preemptively bought the server, but BisectHosting is by far the best host I've come across.  They have cheap cost efficient packages"

9 minutes ago, Whitename said:

We could do that, but it would be effort.

For everyone here, what do you want for now?

• Bukkit
  • FTB
  • Tekkit

I'll be setting up a personal server, that is whitelisted. This server will be sn intermediate towards an official server (if we get one). I will probably enforce a local chat plugin on the server up to around 15 blocks and encourage a light RP setting on it.

1 minute ago, Hebi Kotei said:

We could do that, but it would be effort.

For everyone here, what do you want for now?

• Bukkit
  • FTB
  • Tekkit

I'll be setting up a personal server, that is whitelisted. This server will be sn intermediate towards an official server (if we get one). I will probably enforce a local chat plugin on the server up to around 15 blocks and encourage a light RP setting on it.

i just set one up...

Just now, Whitename said:

i just set one up...

I was planning on developing some stuff for it, but fair. Didn't realise someone already had one set up.