Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2020-10-26, 02:06
Sign in to follow this  
Resento

"The instruction at 0x000000 referenced memory" crash error

Recommended Posts

Hello!

Recently after 15 minutes of gameplay every time my game crashes with a windows error of "The instruction at 0x000000 referenced memory at 0x0000000. The memory could not be written" or something like that. How can I fix it?

Notes:

Nothing runs in the background when I play DayZ, I've tried validating game files, I've tried deleting the DayZ folder in documents, I've tried re-installing, I've tried restarting, my drivers are all updated, my computer can run heavier games than DayZ without facing any error or crash or stutter, surely not every 15-20 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi! I have some pretty good knowldge of computer architecture so I'll try and help you out

With the information you've given me, I'd put money on the fact that DayZ tried to allocate more RAM than your PC has. But let's make sure

Please open task manager, select "Performance" and then open and play DayZ. Once the game crashes quicky tab back into the task manager and screenshot that window

Also, please post your RAM amount, processor, and hard drive specifications.

Let's get this fixed!

Edited by Whitename

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Whitename said:

Hi! I have some pretty good knowldge of computer architecture so I'll try and help you out

With the information you've given me, I'd put money on the fact that DayZ tried to allocate more RAM than your PC has. But let's make sure

Please open task manager, select "Performance" and then open and play DayZ. Once the game crashes quicky tab back into the task manager and screenshot that window

Also, please post your RAM amount, processor, and hard drive specifications.

Let's get this fixed!

Hello! :)

Screenshot as soon as game crashes: https://i.imgur.com/Rj11fkH.png

RAM 8, Intel I7 4770, SSD with 65 gb free

Share this post


Link to post

Hm. More evidence it might be a ram issue. However, this might be due to you having an old 32-bit system. Can you go to My PC / My Computer / This PC, right click, and select properties? Please protect your privacy and your copy of windows!!!! Screenshot that window but crop out everything after the System tab, like shown below

thot.png.d304014f71fc2c05c69146281a8b2384.png

Edited by Whitename

Share this post


Link to post

Oh! And it would be helpful to know your DayZ settings and whether or not you made any changes to your PC around the time this issue occured

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Whitename said:

Oh! And it would be helpful to know your DayZ settings and whether or not you made any changes to your PC around the time this issue occured

There you go: https://i.imgur.com/zB4Mfb4.png

My DayZ settings are on the lowest (I have tried fiddling with them, which includes Auto, the highest, and random) and I haven't made any changes to the PC.

Share this post


Link to post

I see. I'm curious as to your setting that says "Video storage" or something along those lines, I forgot. But either way

I believe it's a combination of low RAM and outdated Windows. You only have 8GB (me too, holla), which is borderline if you don't have a graphics card. Try http://www.userbenchmark.com/ to see if your RAM is bottlenecking your PC.

Here's what you can do to try and improve your RAM efficiency, and to test if that's the problem in the first place. In-between each step make sure to check if it fixed the issue

  1. Reboot your PC if you haven't tried that yet
  2. Validate game files. Right click on DayZ from Steam > Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity..., and see if everything is working
  3. Reinstall DayZ
  4. Check for Windows 7 Updates (although I think SP1 was the most recent, but I forget)
  5. Upgrade to Windows 10 (hopefully for free). Click here and download that file, and run the media creation tool. You should see "Upgrade this PC now". If you don't see that message you'll have to buy a copy of Win10.

Sadly these are the only things I could think of. Hope this helps, otherwise sorry I couldn't fix your issue

 

EDIT: For step one please shut down your PC, wait 3 minutes, and then power it back on

Edited by Whitename

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Whitename said:

I see. I'm curious as to your setting that says "Video storage" or something along those lines, I forgot. But either way

I believe it's a combination of low RAM and outdated Windows. You only have 8GB (me too, holla), which is borderline if you don't have a graphics card. Try http://www.userbenchmark.com/ to see if your RAM is bottlenecking your PC.

Here's what you can do to try and improve your RAM efficiency, and to test if that's the problem in the first place. In-between each step make sure to check if it fixed the issue

  1. Reboot your PC if you haven't tried that yet
  2. Validate game files. Right click on DayZ from Steam > Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity..., and see if everything is working
  3. Reinstall DayZ
  4. Check for Windows 7 Updates (although I think SP1 was the most recent, but I forget)
  5. Upgrade to Windows 10 (hopefully for free). Click here and download that file, and run the media creation tool. You should see "Upgrade this PC now". If you don't see that message you'll have to buy a copy of Win10.

Sadly these are the only things I could think of. Hope this helps, otherwise sorry I couldn't fix your issue

I'm afraid I've tried all of the above, except for upgrading to Windows 10 which at the moment I have no intention to do. Thank you very much for your time, I'll give Beanz.

Share this post


Link to post

Aha, thanks. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Give Win10 a try though, it ain't that bad

Share this post


Link to post

This issue is pretty common with intel systems with no discreet graphics and limited memory. Your OS takes about 2GB or more at any one time, then your system allocated about 512mb for a “buffer” for read/write operations to and from your storage devices. Then the various applications can chew up 1-3gb more (those apps that like to chill in your systray) and then your integrated intel graphics X000 chipset takes minimum of 1gb and more for games etc. 

the way the intel graphics chipset is set up, it will use all available memory it thinks is available (in this case 8GB) but you might only have 1-3 actually not being used. If the chipset tries to write to memory being used by something else, you get a BSoD or the app crashes.

Easiest fix is to get a discreet card. Nvidia 1060 is good and is decent bang for buck. This will 9/10 times fix the memory issue. Alternatively, and cheaper (but not as efficient option) is to buy another stick (or two if you’re using 2x4GB now) and slap it in. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, NebulousCass said:

This issue is pretty common with intel systems with no discreet graphics and limited memory. Your OS takes about 2GB or more at any one time, then your system allocated about 512mb for a “buffer” for read/write operations to and from your storage devices. Then the various applications can chew up 1-3gb more (those apps that like to chill in your systray) and then your integrated intel graphics X000 chipset takes minimum of 1gb and more for games etc. 

the way the intel graphics chipset is set up, it will use all available memory it thinks is available (in this case 8GB) but you might only have 1-3 actually not being used. If the chipset tries to write to memory being used by something else, you get a BSoD or the app crashes.

Easiest fix is to get a discreet card. Nvidia 1060 is good and is decent bang for buck. This will 9/10 times fix the memory issue. Alternatively, and cheaper (but not as efficient option) is to buy another stick (or two if you’re using 2x4GB now) and slap it in. 

I'll consider it, wasn't expecting I'd be required to make a purchase.

Question however is how come I don't experience this with 'heavier' games like Battlefield 4, GTA V and others?

Share this post


Link to post

Those games are usually more optimized and demand less resources if they don’t detect a discreet graphics card. 

Share this post


Link to post

I will keep this open, should anyone come up with a fix, until I am able to purchase more memory that is (although I doubt that would help, another person experiencing this told me he has 32gb ram)

Share this post


Link to post

I recently updated to 16G of DDR4, 2100mhz RAM and the game is working like a charm.

I've come to learn that Dayz mostly focuses on RAM and processing, with a small reliance on graphics(like a 750 TI with 16g ram and a intel i5 5500+ would work fine)

 

Share this post


Link to post

I do sometimes get this error as well. I run Windows 10 so I don't think the issue is Windows based. Also I run my pc with 16 gb of ddr4 and I use a gtx1060 6gb with an i7 6700k. I rarely get this error but it still happens. It is hard to trace a problem down to 1 certain thing but I will look into it further and if I find something out that no one else has posted I will be sure to let you know =) .

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like my reply yesterday never got posted. Alas...

The reason this happens, for pretty much absolute certainty imo, is that DayZ's eating up more memory than it has allocated for itself. With games like DayZ this happens... more often than you think. Regardless of how much RAM you've got DayZ allocates itself a certain amount of memory (like when you select "auto" under the video settings), no more than 2gb. When it hits the highest memory address it can go to, it rolls over to the lowest, and since Windows is not a fan of applications trying to poke around in memory locations outside of its stack, it fails. It's classic DayZ being DayZ. Besides the generic "update your drivers etc etc" there's not much to do. From my understanding the amount of times this happens changes from person to person.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...